(Topic ID: 281830)

Is pinball unknown in rest of the world?

By rai

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Electronmagic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

adfd (resized).jpg
    image-18 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2020-11-18 Hot-Sale-Amusement-Equipment-Arcade-Games-Coin-Operated-Pinball-Game-Machine jpg (WEBP Image, 750 × 1[...](1) (resized).png
    27 (resized).jpg
    Taiwan 2012 002 (resized).JPG
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (resized).jpg
    image-10 (resized).jpg
    image-13 (resized).jpg
    image-3 (resized).jpg
    CQk-O3_VAAI_dl- (resized).jpg
    imagadfe-1 (resized).jpg
    BE859045-241F-4EDB-A132-B2BC217023A6 (resized).jpeg
    3793146879_e830ff00bc_b-800x559 (resized).jpg
    03B8D95B-38DB-4E0C-B4FC-F297D9E40240 (resized).jpeg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 months ago

I have a question, not sure if anyone knows but likely there are some folks who are from other countries that will be able to fill in the blanks.

When looking at owners of pins it’s overwhelming North America, EU and AU with a sprinkling here and there.

I’m curious if

A) those other people from. various count are not on Pinside so they don’t report their pins
    B) those people from various countries don’t own / play pins on location

Just curious if China, India, Africa, Asia, Russia who represent 70%+ of the world’s population don’t play pinball?

I see how popular basketball and Hollywood movies are in China and they have a growing middle class and rich class that cost should not be an issue.

Have people ever seen pinball machines in China, Russia etc??

It just strikes me as a huge growth opportunity if China, India, African countries would ever start to buy pinball machines.
    03B8D95B-38DB-4E0C-B4FC-F297D9E40240 (resized).jpeg

#2 11 months ago

Pinball???

3793146879_e830ff00bc_b-800x559 (resized).jpg
    #3 11 months ago

BE859045-241F-4EDB-A132-B2BC217023A6 (resized).jpeg

#4 11 months ago

Just look at the IFPA top 1,000 or so and you'll see all the different countries that supply top players.

#5 11 months ago

many people in those countries do not speak English as their first or second language, so they probably wont post on pinside

Brazil was big on pinball but you dont see many people from there posting here either

#6 11 months ago

Isn't Homepin in China and making pins targeting the Chinese market?

#7 11 months ago

Pinball was in arcades all over the world. Very few people outside of the US have pinball in there homes. Hell, even in the US it’s basically as niche of an industry as you can have. I’m sure there are more furries than pinball enthusiasts .

#8 11 months ago

Japan had Space Shuttle pinball 5 years before the USA did

imagadfe-1 (resized).jpg
    #9 11 months ago

The Soviets used to make pins

CQk-O3_VAAI_dl- (resized).jpg
    #10 11 months ago

Arcades are big in Asian countries like China, but they usually don't have much pinball, mostly arcade games, redemption games, claw toys, etc. Driving games and DDR type games are huge.

#11 11 months ago

#12 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Soviets used to make pins[quoted image]

That has to be the creepiest pin Iv ever seen

#13 11 months ago

Creepier than Gork from Brazil ?
    image-3 (resized).jpg

image-4 (resized).jpg
    #14 11 months ago

More Brazil; you can always tell by the ample buttocks

image-13 (resized).jpg

#15 11 months ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

many people in those countries do not speak English as their first or second language, so they probably wont post on pinside
    Brazil was big on pinball but you dont see many people from there posting here either

Brazil is still VERY big on pinball with collectors and players there .... often more for sale there than here in Australia (but a lot more expensive).... need to use a Portuguese translator to search though And yes, language would prevent many from being on pinside. Also was a pinball manufacturing country....

#16 11 months ago

Yes, Brazil pinballs have some great artwork

#17 11 months ago

It’s that clown, properly creeps me out and not even in a good way like hurricane lol

#18 11 months ago
    Quoted from srt-8:

And yes, language would prevent many from being on pinside.

I'm sure Brazilians just look at pinsiders gluing dolls to their games and they are like, fnck that......

#19 11 months ago
    image-10 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpg
    #20 11 months ago

Shark looks really cool!

#21 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm sure Brazilians just look at pinsiders gluing dolls to their games and they are like, fnck that......

Hahaha .... so true!

#22 11 months ago

Yeah, like a companion pin sitting next to a Fathom.

#23 11 months ago

One pinsider from Brazil makes very cool short videos in English or Portuguese.

#24 11 months ago

That shark game looked beautiful!

#25 11 months ago

Interestingly, though not really an indicator of popularity, there seems to be a lot more adverts for pinballs for sale in Brazil on this website https://games.mercadolivre.com.br/fliperama-maquinas-pinballs/_Desde_49_OrderId_PRICE*DESC ....... than both ebay and gumtree put together here in Australia (wish I could read Portuguese).

#26 11 months ago

..... the first pinball I ever had (kiss) was when I lived in a remote area of Papua New Guinea over 30 years ago .... they were quite popular back then in PNG (along with pool tables) although didn't last long being semi outdoors in the tropics LOL

#27 11 months ago

USA probably has many more man-children per capita of any other country. I’d wager that explains a lot.

#28 11 months ago
    Quoted from Axl:

That shark game looked beautiful!

From that video, or virtual video, it did look nice

#29 11 months ago

have played pinball in a few different places in india in times spent there on holidays

#30 11 months ago

I have played pinball in Mexico and Malaysia.
    I brought a GTB SweetHearts EM pin to Angola
    when I worked there years ago.
    Pinball is universal, but the home market is mostly
    in 1st world.

#31 11 months ago

There are many countries that do things like dance and socialize instead of pinball, arcades, or board games.

#32 11 months ago

This is the closest thing I found in Taiwan. A marble track game that they have in the night markets. Pretty fun.
    Taiwan 2012 002 (resized).JPG

#33 11 months ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

This is the closest thing I found in Taiwan. A marble track game that they have in the night markets. Pretty fun.
    [quoted image]

How does it work? Looks like some sort of control apparatus in front?

#35 11 months ago
    Quoted from denoument:

There are many countries that do things like dance and socialize instead of pinball, arcades, or board games.

#36 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

How does it work? Looks like some sort of control apparatus in front?

Those are like handlebars, you can tip the "playfield" to the right and left to control how fast the ball rolls. If you go too fast, it will come off the track. There are different grades, easy, medium or hard. The harder ones have jumps and tight corners. If you get to the end of the track you get a prize.

#37 11 months ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

[quoted image]

That’s interesting.

#38 11 months ago

Pinball is unknown in cuba, I know that. And havent found anybody in mexico that knows what it is.

#39 11 months ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

Pinball is unknown in cuba, I know that. And havent found anybody in mexico that knows what it is.

That’s crazy I’d have thought Cuba/Mexico would have more due to close proximity to USA.

So far no one said anything about Africa tho I think South Africa has some Pinsiders.

A lot of African people speak English so it’s probably not the reason.

#40 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Creepier than Gork from Brazil ?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

don't you mean SEXIER than Gork? amirite

this is an interesting topic. I know south america used to have lots of pinball. I am curious about the popularity in China and Russia, as the oP asked.

#41 11 months ago
    Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I am curious about the popularity in Russia, as the oP asked.

27 (resized).jpg

#42 11 months ago
    Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I am curious about the popularity in China, as the oP asked.

The Chinese pins I've played have a payout. But unlike American pins where you had to go to the operator desk to quietly get paid, the Chinese pins just pay you under the coin chute

You can buy a brand new China pin for $1600 delivered to your door. But without any English rules, manual or local spare parts, it's hard to say how long you could keep it running.

Screenshot_2020-11-18 Hot-Sale-Amusement-Equipment-Arcade-Games-Coin-Operated-Pinball-Game-Machine jpg (WEBP Image, 750 × 1[...](1) (resized).png
    #43 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can buy a brand new China pin for $1600 delivered to your door.

Add a few songs by some has been rockers, color it up with some cheap powder coat, ship it to America, and now it is a $7000- $12000 game.

#44 11 months ago

Spain has had a bunch of pins manufactured there, the last one in 2010.

NEW CANASTA was the first commercial pinball with LCD screen backglass, webcam, all magnetic rollover switches, plastic sheet protected playfield, color changing LEDs in the GI and inserts

It plays the gay anthem YMCA
    adfd (resized).jpgimage-18 (resized).jpg

#45 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It plays the gay anthem YMCA

At this point, almost any anthem is better than Led Zeppelin.

#46 11 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

At this point, almost any anthem is better than Led Zeppelin.

Sure, because all those zep songs are a half-century old already.

But every gay politician uses YMCA as a dog whistle to their butt buddies, when there are much better gay anthems that are not so obvious

Go West

#47 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, all those zep songs are a half-century old already.

All they do is make me feel older than that whenever I hear them.

#48 11 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

All they do is make me feel older than that whenever I hear them.

Whenever I hear zep at the auto parts store, it makes me cue up the original artists

You Shook Me

-

Memphis Minnie - When the Levee Breaks

=

Black Water Side

-

#49 11 months ago

When Zep was first used to sell Cadillacs, I never thought 30+ years later, it would be used to sell pinball machines. Just shows who the target audience is.

Do people in Yemen still listen to them?

#50 11 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do people in Yemen still listen to them?

No, nothing that old

Mostly contemporary western pop, traditional music, and strangely, boomin Hindi Rap:

SHEHER TERA

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside