Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by atrainn
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinball Too Expensive?”

• Yes 142 votes
      81%
    • No 33 votes
      19%

(175 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

205708560-1920-8 (resized).jpg
    washboard (resized).jpg
    Facebook-Now-thats-a-nice-engine-Car-59fad1 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20170905-011256 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20170905-010447 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverballNut.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from GrimDog:

Those are hardly high end....high end are like 2x-3x that

I agree, I bought Viking appliances/venthood for our kitchen over 10 years ago and spent roughly 20k and that didn't include the fridge. We couldn't afford it so went with a different brand. It did take electric, carpentry and install work which I did most of myself our could have added even more.

Cooktop had issues multiple times and got fixed under warranty (extended that I paid for). It's finally been good but that's because it has all new redesigned parts put in it.

Double oven works like a champ, but the black printed on lettering is coming off.

The dishwasher was completely silent and worked perfect until it quit. Would have cost $1000 to repair and the repairman said it wasn't even the most likely to fail part which would be another $1000 so he recommended I toss the $4k dishwasher and buy another. I bought a GE for $1800.

Longish story, but all of that is sunk costs. We will never get any of that money back out of the appliances and most likely will have to replace the ovens and cooktop in another 10 years. If I did it again, I wouldn't buy the high end and just get something I'd plan to replace in 10 years. There was not any appreciable increase in quality going with the luxury models.

Now for pinball, sure new games are high. It's a hobby. It's also the only hobby I have ever had that is easy to liquidate at a decent return. You may/will lose some money on NIB purchases, but it's much less than any other hobby. Think guns/ammo, cars, rc cars (I do this too), golf, anything that is a luxury. All of those hobbies most money put in is lost as soon as you spend it and you must keep spending substantially to keep playing.

Pinball maintenance is fairly cheap after the initial purchase.

Pinball can also be an extremely cheap hobby. There are more and more locations that have pinball, simply go out and feed a few dollars in. It's pretty cheap entertainment.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Try buying Viking or Sub Zero appliances you will be spending tens of thousands for the same appliances in question. Those are the appliances in my kitchen. Although my home is not the average. If you want the best you have to pay for it. Pinball machines are targeted to people with alot of disposable income. Do I agree they are over priced for their quality? Yes! Especially since we have lived through the price increases and it feels like less money is being spent in the design and construction. We can complain but not sure if it will do any good. Guess we have to work extra hard and continue spending all of our hard earned money if we want the next new game.

This is a good point about living through the price increases. How many times in our lifetimes do we buy appliances, or even new/used cars? The damn pinballs multiply and I find myself selling some, saving money and buying multiples during a year from old clunkers to new ones.

With the new ones, even if we don't buy it we check it out and see the price every single time one is released. I couldn't tell you if the last car I bought or my appliances changed prices since I bought them. I'm assuming they went up, but it's not advertised in my face because I don't go drool over the latest appliance.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Uber is making me question whether it makes sense to own a car. We have 4 cars for 3 adults, and I'd love to own zero. If I ever move to a walkable city, that's my goal.

I can see the Uber request for a sedan to go pickup a pinball 3 hours away... No, I'll keep at least one that a pin can fit in, I just can't help running after one on a hunt from time to time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverballNut.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinball-too-expensive-appliances-comparison?tu=SilverballNut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.