(Topic ID: 21366)

Is pinball on borrowed time?

By flipperfingers

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spudgunman:

Understand the point your making but would debate that...

I find that pinball is actually more social then anything else..

Pinball should be more social. After all, 'It's more fun to compete'. Unfortunately the vast majority of the new folks coming into the hobby don't see it that way. Same goes for many of the oldtimers. They're perfectly happy to play alone in their basements and 'socialize' on pinside and RGP. Maybe go to one or two shows a year.

Quoted from Spudgunman:

That could be the problem, people don't interact with people any more.

That's it in a nutshell. They 'interact' on pinside, RGP and facebook, but not nearly enough face to face. I play on location regularly and probably will the rest of my life. It frustrates me that all these new people are getting into the hobby, yet I never see them playing on location. They're missing the best part of the hobby. When you play on location, anything can happen and often does. I played an AC/DC with a 9 year old kid named after Angus Young a few weeks ago at the beach. Afterward, I walked out of the arcade and watched Blue Oyster Cult play live for free. Things like that don't happen in your basement.

To answer the original poster's question, location pinball is on borrowed time. Without that, the rest doesn't matter to me. I get more enjoyment out of playing on location than any other part of the hobby. I've done all I can to encourage people to play on location, including operating games, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from LaughingOtter:

There have been a few new arcades/pinball joints opening here in the Seattle/Tacoma area in just the last year. I don't think location pinball is on its last legs yet.

The pacific northwest is the exception. You folks are very fortunate to have a thriving location scene with great operators supporting them. When global warming really kicks in, I'll be headed your way. d

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinball-on-borrowed-time?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.