(Topic ID: 21366)

Is pinball on borrowed time?

By flipperfingers

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ring-Them-Bells.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 11 years ago

I'm a Gen X'er and I've been playing pinball since I was a kid. My dad had a gameroom in our basement when I was growing up and now I've got games of my own. Even way back then, I didn't know anyone my age that was into pinball. Shortly after, stand up video games got popular, and then the game consoles came out.

I know there's a lot of people on this forum in my age group that are really into pinball, but in the grand scheme of things we are a huge minority. There are enough enthusiast out there to support a niche' market and I think Stern has responded to that. I don't know what the percentages are between games bought by operators that go out on a route and games that go straight to someone's private game room, but I would guess the latter has a bigger percentage than it did 30 years ago.

In a way, I like the fact that pinball isn't all the rage. If gives it a certain uniqueness.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I'm also in this age group. And now that you mention it, even though there were a lot of pins in the arcades back in the day(80's), not many people played them. I remember quite well, that out of all my friends, I was the only one that preferred pins over video games. Most of them played pins occasionally, but video games ruled the day.

I remember the days when the convenience stores had games. I remember playing Space Shuttle pinball while the rest of the kids hanging around Spy Hunter (the video, not the pinball), Punch Out, and all the rest of them. In the event that there was another pinball player, they were always older than me.

The only place I remember seeing a lot of pinball games was at the local bowling alley and that's where I discovered High Speed, Pinbot and F-14. I'm thinking it was that way since the bowling alleys catered to an older crowd.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ring-Them-Bells.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinball-on-borrowed-time?tu=Ring-Them-Bells and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.