(Topic ID: 285087)

Is pinball more like a sport or video game???

By Thunderbird

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is pinball more a sport or a video game?”

• Is pinball more like a bat and ball sport with a playfield to master? 11 votes
      23%
    • Is pinball more like a video game with an ending to complete then move on to a new one? 9 votes
      19%
    • Pinball is neither to me, but just a fun game I enjoy playing to pass the time. 28 votes
      58%

(48 votes)

#1 3 years ago

What is your feeling? Is pinball more like a sport where you keep playing for score and competition toward mastering the playfield or a video game with an ending to complete and then you’re done with it?

Not sure when this mentality of “beating the game” by getting to an end all wizard mode, like we do in video gaming crept in? Pinball has never been that kind of game imo; of getting to the end and then you’re done with it, with no more to do in the game. That thinking should only take place in a $59.95 video game, not a $5k to $10k pinball machine. Always thought pinball was about mastering the table and getting GC score, etc....

Pinball is more in the vain of a sport, than a video game. Gary Stern constantly explains: “it is a bat and ball game, with a regulation size playfield plain and simple”. In the bat and ball games of tennis, baseball, ping pong, cricket, etc. are we just trying to get to the end of a championship and then done with the game after that? Thinking as much as I like the LCD, it might be the LCD era that has been responsible for the sport of pinball, getting to seem like a video game with an ending, even though that might never be the real case.

Do not think pinball is a video game with an end. It compares more to a sport, where we keep score to see how well we are doing in the competition of the game?

What do all of you think and what are your feelings about this subject? (Read all the time here on Pinside, that when someone gets to the so called end of the game, they’re ready to sell and move onto the next title.)

#2 3 years ago

video game that if good enough ,never rid of it

#3 3 years ago

Most pins (newer ones, anyway) have a wizard mode than can be beaten. There is a ton of re-playability, however, and the game doesn't just end like a videogame.

I'm with pinfever on this one. Beating it doesn't mean you have to move on.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

Is pinball more like a sport where you keep playing for score and competition toward mastering the playfield or a video game with an ending to complete and then you’re done with it?

Most machines have what I would call an "end goal". But unlike video games, the game does not end there. Unless you are discussing the pinball SafeCracker or Bally "Beat the Clock" or Operation: Thunder. Those pins DO IN FACT play just like video games.

It's certainly different things to different people. I know people that only play pinball in their homes with family. I know people that only play in leagues an don't even own any machines. I know people that have awesome collections and NEVER play them.. yes NEVER. I know people that play once a year at shows and they are satisfied with playing once a year. I know people that play every day and travel around the world to compete with other players that are the best in the world.

If you ask me, it's a competitive game where at the highest level of play, the best players outlast the others in score and endurance. It's just as much mental as it is skill. Is it a sport? Probably not to most of the general public but to me, it's no more or less a sport than bowling, darts, or the World Series of Poker events.

#5 3 years ago

Well, the first several generations of video games really didn't have an "ending" either. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong ( Ok, this game -sort of- does), Asteroids, Computer Space, PONG!, Combat, Battlezone, et al. None of them have a "story", and therefore no ending - it's just all for points. So... both?

As video games have matured, so have their ability to tell a story - that's just where games have gone, and why later pins have a story. IMO. YMMV.

#6 3 years ago

Interesting that over half so far consider pinball neither.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinball-more-like-a-sport-or-video-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.