(Topic ID: 223287)

Is Pinball Helping You Relive Your Youth? Poll Included!

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you reliving your youth through pinball?”

• Yes, my life sucks now, so memories of my childhood are all I've got. 17 votes
      13%
    • No, I had a horrible childhood, so why would I want to do that? 3 votes
      2%
    • No, living in the past is lame. 21 votes
      16%
    • My inner child controls everything I do 35 votes
      26%
    • I'm too cool for that so I try to avoid any game that reminds me of my childhood 0 votes
    • I went thru that for about a year, but now I'm over it 5 votes
      4%
    • I'm still in my youth so no need dwelling in the past 25 votes
      19%
    • Yes, the 80s never really ended 27 votes
      20%

(133 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

12113-the-pong-goodbye-vintage-pinball-home-leisure-direct-blog (resized).jpg
    93f2a486ce19786eb4dae77ce4d9669e (resized).jpg
    playground02 (resized).jpg
    490106df36d240e8ff6c236e595bcb9993df16f2 (resized).jpg
    Rodney (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

If so, you might consider snapping out of it and waking up or before you know it, you may look in the mirror someday and realize that you are just another antique.

Or perhaps, it's already too late.

#2 5 years ago

Almost an hour into this, and I must say the response, especially in the poll, is overwhelming.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Pinball was/is fun! Sometimes it was challenging.

I get that.

And when I first started buying games, I wanted all the ones I played back then. But they came and went, and that seems like a distant memory now. Don't want any of them now for sure.

Even newer games now have themes from way back then, but that's certainly not gonna be cool in my place. I tried that out too, and found it totally lame.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You forgot “I didnt play Pinball when I was a kid, there were video games”

That will be next week's thread.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from FuryosJustin:

I didn't go to many arcades as a kid, too busy on my amiga 500 p.c. smashing silkworm and the beast etc. Only got into pinball when I played it in a bar a couple of years ago.
    I have now found I enjoy working on these machines aswell.

Then I'd imagine you probably fall into the "I am still in my youth" category.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I started out reliving my youth, then I moved on to reliving older people's youths.

That's funny! lol

I think back in the 90s I did a little reliving of the youth because culture seemed to be emulating the 70s, so I figured why not go with the real deal, but that didn't last very long because I didn't want the women I wanted to go out with thinking I was some kind of antique.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You seem to spend way too much time worrying about what other people think of you. I thought old people didn't give a shit?!

It was back in the 90s and I was still young and full of, well you know what.

Now I only care what I think of myself, which is pretty much the same as above.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Didn't start playing pinball till about 5 years ago.

And now you have 47 mostly from the 70s and 80s?

Somebody around here is going to be extremely jealous of you reliving their youth for them.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wyopinball:Owning a pin that ate all my money as a kid is sweet revenge. Then I kick the crap out of it and send it on its way. I guess I am getting even.

Been there done that for sure. But the novelty doesn't last very long.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You forgot “I didnt play Pinball when I was a kid, there were video games”

I may not have mentioned if you grew up playing video games there are now plenty of modern pinball machines aimed at helping you relive your youth even if you didn't play pinball back in the day. That should be pretty obvious by now

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Doesn't this thread belong in the basement?

I don't think it fits the criteria.

Of course what I or many others or even the majority on this site think doesn't always seem to matter.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

most of my pre 1986 collection is games i played back in the day

Zero of the 25 or so games I own now did I play in my youth or did I ever see and some were made before I was born. That's just the way I want it and like it now. They may be antiques, but not me. About the closest I have is Dirty Harry, but that's a series of movies I didn't see until I was an adult.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Playing pinball makes me feel young, like a young kid
    Here is Wayne Neyens, legendary designer -
    On his 100th Birthday playing pinball.
    How can you feel old playing the silver ball?[quoted image]

If I ever get to be 100, I'll be lucky if I can even remember my youth.

And again, that's not the point. There is a difference between young at heart and trying to relive your youth.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

That should be a pole option.

"I keep feeling young by only playing games that are older than me."

Perhaps, but that wasn't really the point. I'm referring to something you see everyday that takes you back to a magical place and time that helps you forget your troubles of today, if you so happen to have any.

Quoted from RCA1:

I never stopped living my youth, so no need to re-live.
    Got a Peter Pan thing going on.

I kind of have the same thing going on and spending money to rehash my past or having monuments to it isn't necessary for that, and kind of goes against it.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

Same here "40 going on 25" I like to say.

I'd like to think more along the lines of 55 dating a 25.

#37 5 years ago

That's great Flow! Hope for your sake that never changes if a 70s Superman pinball machine is ever released.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I took you for more of a "55 dating 2 5s (or 5 2s)." But maybe that was Vid ...

I'd probably settle for a perfect 10.

#40 5 years ago

Edit-wasn't that funny.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I don't get this mentality of this post at all. Sorry, but what is wrong with reliving your youth?

Nothing wrong with it that I can see as long as you get over it before it consumes you and you forget that those days are gone forever and there is no bringing them back. Then you end up an old man living with dreams of days gone by and nothing to look forward to.

That, my friend, is a means to your end. Or should I say, that is a means to an end that is not for me. And I'm probably near the same age as you.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

o-din: were you a poet in a previous life?

No, I was a long haired surfer/stoner back in the 70s.

UH OH. WAIT A MINUTE!

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Outlanes:

I'm 35, and when I was a kid I never had cash for the arcade

So reliving a missed childhood

That's just called making up for lost time. Nothing wrong with that!

#53 5 years ago

I just caught the video clip of one of my childhood friends that is the same age as I am from a week ago.

Now I'm not sure if this is re-living his youth, never leaving his youth, or normal adult behavior.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My Body is old and failing me.
    My one good ear listens to 80s Pandora.
    My Gut wishes it could eat like a Teenager.
    My heart still has me chasing my wife for 43 years.
    But when I turn on a game, in get in the zone, I can fly back to any time and any place in my memory
    since Pinball was always there.
    A truly Religious Experience!

I suppose if you are already feeling like a broken down old antique and no other means seems to help, and living in the past helps ease your pain, then by all means, keep on doing it!

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Now THAT’s more like it!!
    Ok well maybe not exactly that..

I couldn't find the unedited version, but I have a lot more respect for Mike these days. He used to be such a shy, introverted kid.

If that was an 80s punk show, the fan would have got his ass kicked and liked it! Now all they can do is whine and sue.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I grew up going to a place called the “Batcave”’for all the hardcore shows.

Where is this Batcave? We had a bunch of different spots, some more infamous than others like The Cookoos Nest in Costa Mesa.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

is there a particular time stamp one can find you skanking around in this?

Not exactly sure what you mean, but I'm mainly living in the now looking forward to the future with good enough memories of the past to not need or want any items I'll have to look at daily from it to remind me. I do have a small box of trinkets for novelties sake.

As far as the poll choices, they could have all applied at one time or another except the 80s one because I was really glad when that wound up, superficial decade was over, but I voted I'm still in my youth, so no need to dwell in the past as that most suits the way I feel now.

#69 5 years ago

If you really want a wakeup call in regards to reliving your youth, look up one of your old girlfriends you haven't seen since high school and have been thinking about on and off ever since.

The present may not look so bad after all.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If someone can come up with a better depiction of Superman than Christopher Reeve, I'd be happy to see it and the potential new material a good depiction could bring. So for the time being, 70s supes it is, unless someone else steps up.

Already been done when George Reeves played Superman on TV and in cinema. He is the original man of flab and steel and played it to a tee. Just as Boris Karloff was the original Frankenstein, all those that came after are just wannabes.

I imagine when they were casting that movie it went something like this-

" We need to find another George Reeves to play Superman"

" No dice, but we found a guy named Reeve instead"

" I guess that'll have to do then"
    93f2a486ce19786eb4dae77ce4d9669e (resized).jpg93f2a486ce19786eb4dae77ce4d9669e (resized).jpg

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from Quadrat:

I don't need the games I played while I was young to feel or remember earlier days.

Same here. Just as I don't need newer games with themes from my youth.

In fact I'm totally against them now. That is not pinball moving forward, that is pinball becoming a novelty at best IMO. And owning them it is the epitome of trying to live in the past.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrFancy:

One of my earliest memories (like from age 3 or 4) is watching a guy play pinball, and seeing other people impressed by how good he was. This was the 70s, when pinball was really badass. It struck me then that the highest goal a human being could aspire to was to be really good at pinball. I guess I never completely got past that.

Indeed.

12113-the-pong-goodbye-vintage-pinball-home-leisure-direct-blog (resized).jpg12113-the-pong-goodbye-vintage-pinball-home-leisure-direct-blog (resized).jpg
    #82 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Other way around--George Reeves and Christopher Reeve

Ooops! I'll fix it! Coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

Better than when I came up with Steve Reeves though. It can be confusing...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinball-helping-you-relive-your-youth-poll-included?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.