Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

#1 9 years ago

This sort of came up in the Fast and the Furious thread. Does pinball lack diversity? Especially when it comes to theme? How many rock n roll themed machines are there? Lots. Not one pinball machine to celebrate hip hop or rap. Why is that? I love AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Metallica...but I also love Tupac, Biggie, Death Row, NWA too...

I think a theme like Fast N Furious would bridge the racial gap a bit, no? One of the reasons that franchise has been so successful is the cast...it's literally a melting pot cast of asian, white, black and hispanic.

I think it would be super fun to and epic to flip a ball around with some killer hip hop or rap going...imagine an Eminem pin with songs like lose yourself going...That would be killer. Just saying...

Thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

Truly tired of this kind of subject. Simple theme stinks move on.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

but I also love Tupac, Biggie, Death Row, NWA too...

Please spend your time on those forums then.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Truly tired of this kind of subject. Simple theme stinks move on.

Nobody's making you reply Actually haven't seen this topic discussed at all.

#5 9 years ago

Internet Troll trying to start up stuff.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Please spend your time on those forums then.

So do you think pinball theme's could be more diverse? Not sure they'd care on those other forums.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from phalcon_2600:

Internet Troll trying to start up stuff.

How is this being a troll? Just asking a basic question. If anything, you're trolling the thread by posting nothing of value.

#9 9 years ago

You've made some pretty silly posts in the past, I didn't think you could top those but this one takes the cake. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm starting to think you make these dumb posts just to get attention now.

#10 9 years ago

Pick up a Minstrel Man woodrail.

#11 9 years ago

This is NOT what I am saying at all. I play pinball with black people. I can see why that thread was closed down. It's inherently racists to say that. I am asking if there's a lack of diversity in themes. Mainly the lack of multi-cultural themes.

#12 9 years ago

Simple answer: No!

#13 9 years ago

I love Koi Morris.

#14 9 years ago

In before the lock.

Better question.

Is this topic for stupid people, by stupid people?

#15 9 years ago

Dude, go away. I'm sure that you could be appreciated greatly in some special masochistic forum on the interwebz. Weren't you supposed to be on a hiatus anyway?

#16 9 years ago

One of my business partners is a your typical black guy. Athlete, Olympian, naval diver, ghetto and fashionable. LOVES pins and games more than anyone I know. Sometimes it's not about the idea that pins are not racial diverse, it's about who you become friends with. He is my favorite business associate, not because of his race, because he is one of very few that shares the love of games more than I.

#17 9 years ago

I have friends all over the world and many many different races and we have a lot in common, We all share a love of Sci Fi as well as other themes. While music themes tend to skew to one side there is still a lot of games that appeal to many.

#18 9 years ago

Troll

#19 9 years ago

Can a moderator please close this COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE thread!

#20 9 years ago

Pretty much. Just look around. Look around here. Look around at any pinball location, or any pinball show. It's pretty self-evident. Be prepared for many thumbs down, however. No one likes to face the truth even though it's staring them in the face (err, especially when it's staring them in the face).

The other honest question though is, is it a big deal? To a large extent (present company excluded), the pinball crowd is very similar to the Comic-Con crowd (also not very diverse). Look at the pinball themes and tell me that 90% of them don't appeal pretty much to the nerdy white guy demographic.

People around here want to kill the messenger, but you do bring up a legitimate point. Taboo topic? Yes. Truthful? Yes.

#21 9 years ago

Wow...just asking a simple question and thank you to those who actually gave a normal, mature answer. I should have just had the title be: do pinball themes lack diversity? Anyone know how to change a thread title once it's open?

#22 9 years ago

Nope. Now please don't make pinball a political racial issue. Just play and have fun in the hobby.

I will say one thing, if a hip hop artist wants to fund to produce a hip hop pin, then go for it. I personally don't like hip hop, but I love pinball and would probably play it anyway.

#23 9 years ago

In answer to your question: No.

But someone who stumbled on this thread would be justified in thinking pinball is for stupid people by stupid people.

#24 9 years ago

Ok...to avoid any racial concerns, let's just talk about diversity in themes. That's all I was getting at.

All I am saying is that there is probably a huge untapped potential for pinball to expand it's reach if the themes themselves drew in other fan bases. That's all.

Forget race, I think there's hardly any games out there for KIDS. Yes, KIDS. By that I mean themes that appeal to young kids vs adults. The sweet spot would be of course Disney themes since they appeal to both kids and adults. Is it just too expensive to license a Disney themed pin? Has Stern looked into it?

#25 9 years ago

Just wait until Stern releases the Shaft pin later this year. You'll change your tune.

Can you dig it?

#26 9 years ago

I'm in the comicon crowd and have a lot of friends of color, not sure how you get that unless some shows skew more white than mIne ( I attend sdcc and wondercon) both of which are pretty diversified

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Can someone tell me how to change the thread title to: Do pinball themes lack diversity?

And no. I'm not telling. I enjoy your race-baiting title.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Can a moderator please close this COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE thread!

Why is it inappropriate? So, mysogynistic posts and photos that have nothing to do with pinball are acceptable and the right-wing political posts and jabs at the President on here are acceptable, but an honest question about something that we all know to be true is posed, and that's unacceptable? At least the post was pinball-related.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Why is it inappropriate? So, mysogynistic posts and photos that have nothing to do with pinball are acceptable and the right-wing political posts and jabs at the President on here are acceptable, but an honest question about something that we all know to be true is posed, and that's unacceptable? At least the post was pinball-related.

Good point. Does Obama play pinball? And if so, does he only use the left flipper?

#30 9 years ago

Click edit on your first post. That should enable a title change.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Thanks. Just did it.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Buzzkill.

No longer interested in this thread.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Good point. Does Obama play pinball? And if so, does he only use the left flipper?

Haha. See???

#34 9 years ago

Well this thread is going well, then!!
    I’m not sure if your OP is bad, but the title is terrible. If you want to help “Bridge the Racial gap” this is not helping. I’m going to leave this thread open for now, if it turn nasty from here it will be closed.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I think the necessity to change the title of the thread from "by white people for white people" is evidence enough it is inappropriate.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Buzzkill.
    No longer interested in this thread.

haha...well, at least we all saw that a good headline is somewhat controversial and gets a reaction. But it wasn't only about race, so I changed it.

#37 9 years ago

For those of you joining us late, Kaneda originally was wondering if pinball was only for white people. Because, I suppose, black people obviously don't play pinball. He changed his title, and if I could have quoted it, I would have. But for posterity's sake, he asked if pinball was made by white people for white people.

So there you have it. Now you can move along. Nothing to see here...

#38 9 years ago

New title is much better.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

For those of you joining us late, Kaneda originally was wondering if pinball was only for white people. Because, I suppose, black people obviously don't play pinball. He changed his title, and if I could have quoted it, I would have. But for posterity's sake, he asked if pinball was made by white people for white people.
    So there you have it. Now you can move along. Nothing to see here...

Does the word "CONTEXT" mean anything in your world? I never said pinball was only for white people. I said the pinball themes we get seem to be one sided, especially with music. Why no rap or hip hop themes? I bet Tupac fans would love a Tupac pin, no?

#40 9 years ago

Are pachinko machines made by Asians for Asians?

#41 9 years ago

Here's why you're wrong, Kaneda. Games for people of color:

NBA Fastbreak
    Big Guns
    Black Spiderman
    Creature from the Black Lagoon
    The Getaway: High Speed II
    Guns & Roses
    Congo (Oh, no he didn't!!!)
    Batman The Dark Knight
    Black Rose
    Taxi
    Junk Yard (Sanford & Son would have loved that one!)
    Black Hole
    Blackout

There you go. Games with diversity.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tribonian:

Yes???

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tribonian:

They are made for Nicholas Cage:

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Here's why you're wrong, Kaneda. Games for people of color:
    NBA Fastbreak
    Big Guns
    Black spiderman
    Creature from the Black Lagoon
    The Getaway: High Speed II
    Guns & Roses
    Congo (Oh, no he didn't!!!)
    Batman The Dark Knight
    Black Rose
    Taxi
    Junk Yard (Sanford & Son would have loved that one!)
    Black Hole
    Blackout
    There you go. Games with diversity.

Might want to think about some of those...

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

And our racist of the year goes to.....

I'm not a racist at all. I hate all people equally. And all I did was list game titles.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm not a racist at all. I hate all people equally.

Well, i changed my statement as I don't think it's right to call anyone racist on here.

#47 9 years ago

Seriously though, back on topic. Why have there been no Disney pins? Also, it was just posted that Fast N The Furious made some record opening weekend. People do realize that FNF is far more popular than Game of Thrones, right? But yet most people on here think FNF is a dumb idea. I actually think that theme is a nice bridge to get pins with more diversity out there. Sure it has a car theme, but the music is all hip hop.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Nobody's making you reply Actually haven't seen this topic discussed at all.

We've been down this road before. It didn't go well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-pinball-such-a-white-hobby

Honestly, it's kind of a trollish topic. It'll either stir up a bunch of crap, or you'll end up having a conversation with yourself until people get upset by the constant bumps and come running to us. Ultimately. It'll get locked.

I'll just save us some steps...

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinball-for-white-people-by-white-people and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.