(Topic ID: 310321)

Poll: Is PBR the Only Reason You Write Checks?

By wolverinetuner

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinball Resource the only reason you write checks?”

• Yes. 33 votes
      31%
    • No, I write checks for other reasons. 65 votes
      61%
    • What’s a check? 9 votes
      8%

(107 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

97B3CC66-EEA8-46C5-89F1-3CDCFFBE1BA6 (resized).png
    C490CE31-43E0-41C2-B364-EFA25A4BA611 (resized).jpeg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Personal checks seem to be used less and less these days. I’m wondering if the only reason many pinheads have and write checks at this point is for Pinball Resource because of Steve Young's policy of only taking checks for payment. I still write checks on occasion for other reasons, but is that the case for you?

#2 2 years ago

HA! I think it might be although I haven't made an order in awHile.

#3 2 years ago

I don't write checks that my body can't cash.

#4 2 years ago

I go old school and still pay some utility bills with checks.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

I did up until recently when I switched over to using my CC for points online. Luckily they are quick "guest payments" becasue when logging in was a real chore with some of them.

#6 2 years ago

I have PBR set up as a payee with my bank, so I just go online and click a couple things and the bank sends a check. I'm at zero check writing, assuming you don't count this workaround.

#7 2 years ago

Some tradespeople still ask for checks, at least in my area.

#8 2 years ago

I work in the check printing industry. "Check decline" as we call it is a real thing. Approximately 7% per year averaged across personal and business checks. My plant prints business checks and deposits so we see a lot less of a decline. Our company used to have several plants printing business checks. We are the only plant left that prints exclusively business checks.

#9 2 years ago

I pay PBR online using wise.com — one of the options given to me as a foreign buyer. We don’t write any cheques now.

#10 2 years ago

I might write a couple a year for things other than PBR, but yeah, PBR checks far surpass any other kinds of checks. Everything else is online these days.

#11 2 years ago

I'm just one of those old timers that get checks sent to me and i send them out. Still get the paper check statements from the bank. Even fuss with the bank some times when i run out of deposit slips. They don't even print the account number on them have to just fill in the little boxes.

#12 2 years ago

I initially thought ..writing a check for PBR?
    Damn inflation!
    C490CE31-43E0-41C2-B364-EFA25A4BA611 (resized).jpegC490CE31-43E0-41C2-B364-EFA25A4BA611 (resized).jpeg

#13 2 years ago

I Western Union Steve his Money...

#14 2 years ago

does it count if I wrote VOID on one to give to one of my retirement accounts for auto-deposit?

Only other one I have besides PBR is a small HOA annual dues payment, they only take checks.

#15 2 years ago

Pretty much.

#16 2 years ago

I write quite a few. More than I wish I had to.

#17 2 years ago

I do find the use of checks amusing at times - it’s a very American thing these days. Most of the rest of the world got rid of them a long long time ago. It’s been perhaps 15 years or more since I last used one.

#18 2 years ago

I still write and cash checks a bit. Once a month for the rent. I'll take check payment on a pinball machine if I know somebody.

The bank is a block away from me I guess that helps.

#19 2 years ago

There is this great burger and beer joint near my house that only accepts cash. It’s not widely known that they’ll also take a local check.

When my wife and I go eat there I stick one check in my wallet before we leave the house.. When it’s time to pay the bill I whip out the check and fill it out. I can always feel the eyes of stunned Millennials while I pay. No waiting for change, no hunting for an ATM, it’s always a very satisfying transaction.

#20 2 years ago

Cash is a bit of a strange concept here too. While you can use cash here, it’s very strange. No need for cash or finding an ATM. A debit card (being essentially an ATM card) has been the major form of payment for at least 35 years, and everyone takes it from a taxi to a plumber, to the biggest retailer you can get. Seconds to pay for anything, without the need for cash or checks.

Quoted from Elicash:

There is this great burger and beer joint near my house that only accepts cash. It’s not widely known that they’ll also take a local check.
    When my wife and I go eat there I stick one check in my wallet before we leave the house.. When it’s time to pay the bill I whip out the check and fill it out. I can always feel the eyes of stunned Millennials while I pay. No waiting for change, no hunting for an ATM, it’s always a very satisfying transaction.

#21 2 years ago

I've seen my dad white checks, but that was at least 25 years ago. I've never written one myself and I'm in the mid 40s.

At least here in Sweden the usage of checks are a thing of the past, everyone using some variant of digital transfer (or cash).

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

All but two of my utilities I pay via check.

A couple lesser costly ones I sometimes add extra payment ..

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zanado:

I do find the use of checks amusing at times - it’s a very American thing these days. Most of the rest of the world got rid of them a long long time ago. It’s been perhaps 15 years or more since I last used one.

By the rest of the world do you mean Australia?

#24 2 years ago

Most banks offer the service of writing and issuing the check for you and you can even tell them when to send it and deliver it by. So it is old school with modern technology.

#25 2 years ago

Used a check this week for an out of state EZ Pass violation.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Most banks offer the service of writing and issuing the check for you and you can even tell them when to send it and deliver it by. So it is old school with modern technology.

Yup, that's built right in to my bank's standard "bill pay" system. If the company/person doesn't accept electronic payments it sends a physical check. That being said, I only send "real" checks to PBR because I don't want to screw up. Other than PBR I write checks for property tax, that's about it. I'm too cheap to pay the couple bucks online payment fee.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

All but two of my utilities I pay via check.
    A couple lesser costly ones I sometimes add extra payment ..

I sit down once a month and do a run of checks for bills, the only time I write checks.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

No, he means all countries except US of checks.

#29 2 years ago

Only? No. Mostly? Yes.

#30 2 years ago

I just wrote out a check to a pinball parts supplier. It might have been written out to him personally instead of his company....then again....it might not have been.

#31 2 years ago

I pay most of my bills with checks, I never liked the idea of things going on auto pay, me forgetting about it and companies slipping things by.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I pay most of my bills with checks, I never liked the idea of things going on auto pay, me forgetting about it and companies slipping things by.

You can pay electronically without having to do auto pay.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can pay electronically without having to do auto pay.

I'm sure, but to further elaborate, I lose the physical reminder of it coming in the mail.

#34 2 years ago

The idea of sending off a piece of paper with my name, address, bank name and account number and signature scares me now.
    Steve/PBR is one of a very few who gets a check from me.

#35 2 years ago

I use them for the water bill and taxes as well.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I'm sure, but to further elaborate, I lose the physical reminder of it coming in the mail.

I still receive physical bills in the mail, but pay them electronically through my bank. For the places that the bank has a "relationship" with, they pay the vendor electronically. For other places, like PBR, they send out a physical check. Seems like it is the best of all worlds for me.

I do still write the occasional check, but it's probably only 3 or 4 times in a year.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

That’s how wars have started - that’s definitely not the Australian flag there. No outside of the US, checks (or cheques) are a rare thing. Some countries might have them for elderly people to use, others they can no longer be used at all. Canadians use them a bit still I think. If I can pay everywhere using electronic means, and if I can send money in real-time to any bank account in the country, there’s no need for checks.

In Australia, since you mentioned it, you can still use a check. It’s just very very rare. Here it’s not possible to use checks at all.

#38 2 years ago

100% of my checks written in the last 5 years were for PBR. Steve’s system is fine by me.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I initially thought ..writing a check for PBR?

Of course, what everybody probably thought was Professional Bull Riders…

97B3CC66-EEA8-46C5-89F1-3CDCFFBE1BA6 (resized).png97B3CC66-EEA8-46C5-89F1-3CDCFFBE1BA6 (resized).png
    #40 2 years ago
    Quoted from cp1610:

I'm just one of those old timers that get checks sent to me and i send them out. Still get the paper check statements from the bank. Even fuss with the bank some times when i run out of deposit slips. They don't even print the account number on them have to just fill in the little boxes.

It's been awhile since I've left you a check.

#41 2 years ago

"The Real Bob Roberts"

Anyone repairing vids in the last two decades has probably sent a check at one point or another.

#42 2 years ago

Use them all the time, I prefer to get paid by check.

#43 2 years ago

Pretty much - the hookers around here stopped taking them.

#44 2 years ago

Still writing checks both personal and business. Not really a big deal.

#45 2 years ago

I like to keep one handy, that way when someone behind me in line is being an A-hole I can really make their day.

#46 2 years ago

I like to write checks at the grocery store but only when the line is super long and everyone looks impatient!

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Some tradespeople still ask for checks, at least in my area.

As a piano tuner for nearly 20 years, I’ve always accepted only cash or check for payment. (I’d probably make an exception if a customer offered to pay with a pinball machine. )

#48 2 years ago

Paid for my Halloween with a check. Not paying extra fees on a transaction that big.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

(I’d probably make an exception if a customer offered to pay with a pinball machine. )

That would be one expensive tune!

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Paid for my Halloween with a check. Not paying extra fees on a transaction that big.

Its kind of funny, I have been writing more checks in recent times rather than less. I did a bunch of home construction projects and the contractors like checks better than credit cards because of the high credit card fees. Sometimes you even get an invoice which has 2 options, with a 5-7% upcharge if you pay with credit card versus a check.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pbr-the-only-reason-you-write-checks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.