Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Pinburgh sounds so much better because it seems like uhhh a tournament you participate in? PAPA sounds like you spend a bunch of money trying to qualify for a tournament you may or may not get into, which sounds kinda lame. So lets say I'm amazing, I'm not obviously, and I qualify first in A division and my scores are untouchable, do I just sit around with my arms crossed like a BAWS for three days waiting for the finals? Can someone with PAPA experience fill me in?

There's onl;y so many ways to do tournements these days. Back in the 90s, you could show up to a tournement and there are 40+ of the same game. Everyone signs up a division, head to head, double elimination. Those were great...but it's just not feasable anymore. A Qualifying tourney
    is just an inevitable way do do it. It generates a lot of money, because people have to keep replaying games over & over to try to make the cut. More people and they can increase the cut off number.

Let's say you are amazing, and you put up some big ass scores; well done! Just so you know, the big dogs can roll in the last day and put up huge scores and jack you up without much effort, because they are the best (speaking about A division here). Also, some tourneys give a prize for highest seed.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

I like both styles, but due to the cost, I don't play in open qualifier formats very often. Maybe a couple times a year at most.

IT feels a lot like gambling sometimes...and that's why they generate the cash. "Just a couple more tickets" gets you deeper and deeper!

#38 11 years ago

Are there any tourneys that let you enter multiple divisions? That's stupid.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Zaxxis:

Some tournaments allow the novice division scores to count against the main/pro division,...

Fair enough, makes sense. Guess I was just thinking of someone playing in lesser divisions to pad their chances.

Quoted from phishrace:

Besides A, B and C division, there is also daily classics tournaments and mini tournaments.

So A players on DMDs can enter B division for EMs or something...kinda makes sense.

1 week later
    #67 11 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

PAPA, or any pinball event, has very very little in common with gamling.

Whereas in pinball, keeping playing will eventually wear you out and you start to see worse results.

1. To me it does in an Unlimited format, not PAPA.

2. Keep playing will eventually wear you out and see worse results...yeah, around here we call that gambling. There are differnet forms of gambling and I undserstand your slot machine machine reference but think about Lottery tickets. The more you have, "the better" chance you have at winning.
    Unlimited format, every ticket you buy gives you a shot of beating your old scores and improving your standing. That seems similar to me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-papa-worth-it?tu=thelaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.