Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

One benefit at PAPA over Pinburgh is that you can play nearly all of the games at the facility at your leisure for coin drop. It's hard to be bored if you like pinball. There are also a number of side tournaments. Pinburgh is completely different in that you compete the entire time and play 100+ games for the tournament, but there aren't as many games outside the tournament that you can walk up and play. I usually spend about $150-200 at either event for 4 days of pinball, food and a few souvenirs.

These comments are mostly correct but misleading. You actually play 40 games over 2 days in the Pinburgh format (5 matches per day, 4 games per match; 5x4x2=40). Both events do indeed have side tourneys. But, there is no shortage of games to play for fun at Pinburgh. There were 180 games in tournament banks this year. That left around *300* games to play for fun--an incredible number and variety! Everything from woodrails to lots of EMs and SS games to DMDs.

Both events are highly recommended. I prefer the Pinburgh format personally. Some general comments on both:

Pinburgh: fixed schedule, 3 daytime matches (4 games/match against 3 opponents) and 2 evening matches, for 2 days. Makes for a *long* day of pinball, but you are put into new groups every match. Kind of like "pinball speed dating" where you meet lots of people and might be playing against some old friends too! You have to be there for each scheduled match or you forfeit points. And the single entry fee allows you to play all 10 matches (40 games). Plus, you either qualify for playoffs or are entered into an optional double-elimination tournament on the last day.

PAPA: Open qualifying format for 3 days; pay for entries (each ticket is good for 4-5 games in a specific division) and play when you want to. You have to complete a ticket before starting another. So, you can play 2-3 rounds and then take a break for a few hours, go out to eat whenever, come back in the evening, etc. Very flexible schedule and pretty long hours. (I'll miss the formerly-official Radisson's pool with tiki bar for afternoon breaks!) Entries are unlimited but can get pricey, esp. if you're close to qualifying and are *sure* your next ticket will get you in! Also, you can't try to qualify in all divisions at once; you can only move up to try for a higher division and can't go back down. So if you buy and play tickets for A, B and C, you *will* be stuck in A division.

The facility is great and both tourneys are fun but different. Worth going to either/both!

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

You are correct. Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. I just misspoke, 100+ games in the tournament. If you qualify you will play more than 40 games, though. And while there is still plenty to play on the side, you may find that some game you want to play more than anything is reserved for tournament play.

No prob. Pinburgh *feels* like 100+ games by the time you're done! Yeah, there were a couple of games in the banks that I wanted to play for fun--although you can still do that on Sunday after the elimination tourney is done (early afternoon?) and all evening/night. The problem with Pinburgh format is that it does require a lot of rest and pacing--no all-nighters for me! And, nobody mentioned but there's a great extended tailgating scene too. For last year's PAPA, there was an outdoor food vendor with hot grills right by the entrance.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Oh I think I get it. They would play games outside of their 5 for qualifying right? Or maybe one of the 5 that went poorly? Seems like a waste of time and effort really.

I think there's a few ways to make sniping work. Most obvious is to get a killer score on a game that is in an opponent's best card but not yours--that will reduce the total points for his entry while not affecting yours. (If you already outscored him on a same game, then this won't help as you'll devalue both game scores.) Or, if (on your best tickets) you have a middling score on a game that an opponent has one of the top scores on, then outscoring his top score can drop him up to 5 points while your best-ticket score may go down just 1-2 points. There may be other sniping strategies, but I'm not in that premier echelon where it matters....

#73 11 years ago

Don't forget to bring lawn chairs and a cooler. Or befriend someone who does.

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Why do you need lawn chairs and a cooler? lol

I guess you haven't been. One of the best extended tailgating scenes I've ever had the pleasure of attending!

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Between you, the Portland crew and a van-full of pittsburgh locals, I was pretty sauced by the end of Sunday. Then my friend and I won a split flipper dollar game against Keith and Adam. Good times.

Yeah, absinthe is quite the tailgating beverage! Seems to go well with pinball, though.

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Absinthe is only good for one thing..... paint thinner.
    I have had a lot of whiskey in my day but even sipping absinthe strained through sugar will burn for a lot longer time. No very tasty either.
    As for the Airlines what a bunch of BS no cooler and BBQ? They are simply no fun.
    Hope all that make it have a great and safe time
    Have a beer or two for me
    Cheers

You didn't drink it straight thru sugar, did you? It is not meant to be served straight, but mixed with 3.5-4 parts water. Makes a smooth, herbal drink that is anise-based (so liquorice haters will not enjoy it!). I prefer some tasty ones without sugar (like Vieux Carre, my general fave).

I can guarantee, the beer or two will be had before lunchtime on day 1!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-papa-worth-it?tu=stevenp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.