7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

No, most you pay an entry, play on your selection of (say 6) games and that's it for qually, the top 32 or so go through. One entry, one attempt.
    If you want to spend $1000 at PAPA you can but that'll only qualify you, you'd better step up after that!

Euro and US tournaments are run differently in this regard. Most "big" US tournaments have an unlimited qualifier. You can buy as many entries as you want during the qualifying period. If you can qualify on a single entry, more power to you. Likewise, if it takes tons of entries for a player to qualify, it's likely he won't last long in the finals.

The point of all this is mainly to seed the pot since pinball doesn't typically get a lot of outside sponsorship money. Most of the local players in my area don't like it and prefer the one-entry-one-shot style of tournament. I like both styles, but due to the cost, I don't play in open qualifier formats very often. Maybe a couple times a year at most.

#36 7 years ago

At PAPA, the qualifying format is to put together the best "run" of five games. So if you get the best score on one game but then bomb the rest, that entry is no good. Consistency is greatly rewarded.

For an unlimited qualifier format, I think it's the best. I used it at PPE last year, except players picked three games out of a bank of five. It's a grueling format but I think there's more skill involved.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zaxxis:

Some tournaments allow the novice division scores to count against the main/pro division, this way can be compared against the better players but still have something to play for. It's a good compromise to hook them into playing without being scared away from the better players. I really wish more tournaments did this.
    This is one of the problems with competitive pinball right now, because many folks are scared of the really good guys and end up talking themselves right out of playing.

That's how I run nearly all my tournaments. In the qualifying round, everyone plays in one division. The top x number of players (8, 12, or 16 typically) will play in the Open finals. This is regardless of whether you qualify as novice or not. Then, the next y players (again, 8, 12, or 16 typically) who qualify for novice will play in the novice finals.

By doing this:

1) all players can earn wppr points.
    2) all players have a shot at winning the whole event and getting the better prizes
    3) a new player who may be good but doesn't know it won't blow away the rest of the novices - he'll likely qualify for the open finals (this has happened many times)
    4) it's more social - first timers can play alongside veterans and pros

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

At PAPA, do you still earn WPPR points, even if you don't qualify?

Short answer: Only if you compete in A Division or Classics.

IFPA only recognizes tournament results which are open to all competitors. In other words, you can't hold a tournament with Pros excluded and have it be eligible for wpprs.

The only exclusion exception I've seen are in the case of bars, since they are typically 21+.

Pinburgh, on the other hand, does award wpprs to all because the first day of qualifying is to determine what division you play in on the second day. You don't choose a division up front like PAPA. That said, the points are pretty small - Johnny Modica won B division but overall he was 94th at the end of qualifying, thus he only got a few wppr points.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Please clarify for me.
    So, if you qualify in either B or C division you can't earn any WPPR points?
    Can you earn points in division A without qualifying?
    I'm a novice, but my goal is earning at least a half point or so to make the rankings, rather than prizes. Any advice is appreciated.

I wouldn't go to PAPA to earn wpprs. It's about the most expensive way to do it! (unless you do really well in A division)

Go to other local events that award wppr points like local tournaments and leagues.

Qualifying doesn't determine whether you win wpprs, it depends on if you compete in an "open" tournament. Open meaning anyone can enter. If you get last place in an open tournament you will get ranking points (but not much).

So if you play one entry in PAPA A division and just plunge the balls for last place you will get a teeny amount of wpprs.

If you play in B or C, you get no wpprs.

1 week later
    #77 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I guess you haven't been. One of the best extended tailgating scenes I've ever had the pleasure of attending!

Between you, the Portland crew and a van-full of pittsburgh locals, I was pretty sauced by the end of Sunday. Then my friend and I won a split flipper dollar game against Keith and Adam. Good times.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Well I dont think American airlines is going to let me check a cooler full of beer, bbq and lawn chairs. Stupid rules!

Quoted from StevenP:

Yeah, absinthe is quite the tailgating beverage! Seems to go well with pinball, though.

I just had that one little sip. The licorice taste would be tough for me to get used to. That vodka was tasty though!

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from Prkchpsndwiches:

Plan on going this year for at least two days. Not competing, but am going to play the vast collection. Just got into pinball in April, so its going to feel like pinball heaven!
    Wife also said she might come too! Was really surprised by that!
    Also, is there a list of what games they have? Or is it more of a "What games don't they have?" sort of thing? Lots of pins I want to get my hands that I'll either A) Never be able to afford. i.e. CC and B) Want to try out before I buy to bring home. i.e. JP, DH, BH.

It's pretty varied.

Pro tip: on some of the EMs you don't have to put money in! Try the credit button first.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 12.95
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 5.00
    $ 69.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 10.00
    $ 7,300.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside