7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Short answer: Only if you compete in A Division or Classics.
    IFPA only recognizes tournament results which are open to all competitors. In other words, you can't hold a tournament with Pros excluded and have it be eligible for wpprs.
    The only exclusion exception I've seen are in the case of bars, since they are typically 21+.
    Pinburgh, on the other hand, does award wpprs to all because the first day of qualifying is to determine what division you play in on the second day. You don't choose a division up front like PAPA. That said, the points are pretty small - Johnny Modica won B division but overall he was 94th at the end of qualifying, thus he only got a few wppr points.

Please clarify for me.

So, if you qualify in either B or C division you can't earn any WPPR points?

Can you earn points in division A without qualifying?

I'm a novice, but my goal is earning at least a half point or so to make the rankings, rather than prizes. Any advice is appreciated.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Please clarify for me.
    I'm a novice, but my goal is earning at least a half point or so to make the rankings, rather than prizes. Any advice is appreciated.

I wouldn't go to PAPA to earn wpprs. It's about the most expensive way to do it! (unless you do really well in A division)

Go to other local events that award wppr points like local tournaments and leagues.

Qualifying doesn't determine whether you win wpprs, it depends on if you compete in an "open" tournament. Open meaning anyone can enter. If you get last place in an open tournament you will get ranking points (but not much).

So if you play one entry in PAPA A division and just plunge the balls for last place you will get a teeny amount of wpprs.

If you play in B or C, you get no wpprs.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

That shouldn't be your goal. As a novice, your goal should be to win C division, pocket the $1500 prize and show off the cool trophy to all the hot chicks in your hood. If you don't feel confident that you can win it all (in C), play in each of the three classics tournaments and you'll get some points. Playing a single entry in A just for the points is lame.

If your skills truly are novice, don't worry about points for a couple of years. There are plenty of trophies to collect and money to be won in novice divisions. The more points you collect, the less likely you'll be allowed to compete as a novice. I always encourage novices to take advantage of their novice ranking as long as possible. Once you step up to the big boys, things get a lot more difficult.

#54 7 years ago

How many technicians do they have for daily maintenance on those things? Must be dozens.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Please clarify for me.

You will not earning any WPPR points by playing B or C divisions simply because these are not open divisions. No matter your skill, everyone can choose to play A division and/or classics, which isn't the same for B and C.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about earning WPPRs at PAPA, instead, focus on qualifying -- which is a huge achievement. Then once you qualify, win and get your trophy!! Worry about WPPRs at smaller tournaments.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

How many technicians do they have for daily maintenance on those things? Must be dozens.

During the tournaments, there are 3 or 4 people. They do awesome work.

I really wish PAPA would give them name badges. I've talked to them every year and I always forget their names!

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Playing a single entry in A just for the points is lame.

Who said anything about a single entry? I plan on trying as many times as it takes to feel that I put up my best effort. I think my chances for winning any trophies is pretty slim, and I care nothing about cash prizes. I want my tournament performance to count for something. I can stage a meaningless exhibition at home. So entering the B or C divisions has very little appeal to me. I think climbing up the IFPA rankings is cool and feels like an accomplishment, even if it is only breaking the 3000th place spot.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

IT feels a lot like gambling sometimes...and that's why they generate the cash. "Just a couple more tickets" gets you deeper and deeper!

PAPA, or any pinball event, has very very little in common with gamling. In contrary slot machines are designed to keep you playing because otherwise you will loose what you have build up to get to the bigger payouts. Whereas in pinball, keeping playing will eventually wear you out and you start to see worse results.

PAPA qualifing system has its flaws. The open and unlimited attempts aspect gives the possiblillity of what is refered to as "sniper attack". Where people buy an entry and play on one machine in attempt to devalue an opponents entry in relation to ones own previous entry. Only to void after one game, if it didn't succeed, and buy the next entry. The fees per entry should limit players desire to do this. But if people is desperate enough they may spend.

Let me add, that I personally do not think sniper attack is good for a tournament. But I believe it is widely accepted as part of the game.

All in all PAPA is brutal and brilliant. Rightfully regarded the top event.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

PAPA qualifing system has its flaws. The open and unlimited attempts aspect gives the possiblillity of what is refered to as "sniper attack".

I guess I dont understand what this means. How does someone elses result devaule your score if they quit their qualifying attempt?

#60 7 years ago

Just go and have fun.Experience it first hand and a lot of these ? Will be cleared up.Test your mettle,hang with veteran hardcore players.You're gonna have a great time.Scott

#61 7 years ago

@Winball_Pizard

Points are earned across 5 games in one entry. Given how these games turn out in compareson to all other games on same machine.

An entry with 1 good game and 4 busts is of no value to you in terms of qualifying. It can however, help to derank games on same machine by you opponents. Hence it can be a strategy of its own.

#62 7 years ago

Oh I think I get it. They would play games outside of their 5 for qualifying right? Or maybe one of the 5 that went poorly? Seems like a waste of time and effort really.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Oh I think I get it. They would play games outside of their 5 for qualifying right? Or maybe one of the 5 that went poorly? Seems like a waste of time and effort really.

I think there's a few ways to make sniping work. Most obvious is to get a killer score on a game that is in an opponent's best card but not yours--that will reduce the total points for his entry while not affecting yours. (If you already outscored him on a same game, then this won't help as you'll devalue both game scores.) Or, if (on your best tickets) you have a middling score on a game that an opponent has one of the top scores on, then outscoring his top score can drop him up to 5 points while your best-ticket score may go down just 1-2 points. There may be other sniping strategies, but I'm not in that premier echelon where it matters....

#64 7 years ago

Got hotel reservations today! Its on like Tron!

#65 7 years ago

Sorry I was so misleading with my details on competition. I was totally confused over what qualifies for IFPA vs. PAPA as they both have a different set of listings. I'm ashamed that I wasn't more knowing about tournament details, living as close to TA and knowing him pretty well as I do. Finger of shame to me.

Not sorry that PAPA is one of the greatest pinball events on earth, it's totally worth it, and I'll be taking the time to study up on rules more to try and qualify for something this year.

#66 7 years ago

best tournament you will ever be a part of, hands down. And if you don't compete, it's also one of the largest, and cleanest collections of games you will ever see. Do it!

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

PAPA, or any pinball event, has very very little in common with gamling.

Whereas in pinball, keeping playing will eventually wear you out and you start to see worse results.

1. To me it does in an Unlimited format, not PAPA.

2. Keep playing will eventually wear you out and see worse results...yeah, around here we call that gambling. There are differnet forms of gambling and I undserstand your slot machine machine reference but think about Lottery tickets. The more you have, "the better" chance you have at winning.
    Unlimited format, every ticket you buy gives you a shot of beating your old scores and improving your standing. That seems similar to me.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

PAPA is the Super Bowl of pinball. Attend the event.

Have ya gone Kwiki? Sounds like a cool event!

#69 7 years ago

Anyone know if they announce the games in the division banks ahead of time?

#70 7 years ago

Anyone know if they announce the games in the division banks ahead of time?

Nope. You'll find out thursday of that week, once the doors open to the facility.

#71 7 years ago

Tell ya what, if you're interested, I'll take some pics of the games when I get there early Thurs and post them up here. That'll be about as good as you'll get for the early notice.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

Tell ya what, if you're interested, I'll take some pics of the games when I get there early Thurs and post them up here. That'll be about as good as you'll get for the early notice.

Thanks but I'll be there in the afternoon to see them myself

#73 7 years ago

Don't forget to bring lawn chairs and a cooler. Or befriend someone who does.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Don't forget to bring lawn chairs and a cooler. Or befriend someone who does.

Why do you need lawn chairs and a cooler? lol

#75 7 years ago

Why do you need lawn chairs and a cooler? lol

I guess you haven't been. One of the best extended tailgating scenes I've ever had the pleasure of attending!

#76 7 years ago

The tailgating is awesome. Meet people from all over the world drinking, eating, and having a good time. Game lists are not usually released for the PAPA event. During finals the A bank is completely new but the B and C banks stay the same.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I guess you haven't been. One of the best extended tailgating scenes I've ever had the pleasure of attending!

Between you, the Portland crew and a van-full of pittsburgh locals, I was pretty sauced by the end of Sunday. Then my friend and I won a split flipper dollar game against Keith and Adam. Good times.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

The tailgating is awesome. Meet people from all over the world drinking, eating, and having a good time. Game lists are not usually released for the PAPA event. During finals the A bank is completely new but the B and C banks stay the same.

Actually B and C banks are changed for finals too.

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Between you, the Portland crew and a van-full of pittsburgh locals, I was pretty sauced by the end of Sunday. Then my friend and I won a split flipper dollar game against Keith and Adam. Good times.

Yeah, absinthe is quite the tailgating beverage! Seems to go well with pinball, though.

#80 7 years ago

Did you make it to finals?

#81 7 years ago

#82 7 years ago

Well I dont think American airlines is going to let me check a cooler full of beer, bbq and lawn chairs. Stupid rules!

#83 7 years ago

Absinthe is only good for one thing..... paint thinner.

I have had a lot of whiskey in my day but even sipping absinthe strained through sugar will burn for a lot longer time. No very tasty either.

As for the Airlines what a bunch of BS no cooler and BBQ? They are simply no fun.

Hope all that make it have a great and safe time

Have a beer or two for me

Cheers

#84 7 years ago

Well I dont think American airlines is going to let me check a cooler full of beer, bbq and lawn chairs. Stupid rules!

Quoted from StevenP:

Yeah, absinthe is quite the tailgating beverage! Seems to go well with pinball, though.

I just had that one little sip. The licorice taste would be tough for me to get used to. That vodka was tasty though!

#85 7 years ago

Tailgating at PAPA #1 past time for sure. Met many a nice folk that way.

#86 7 years ago

Are all of the tournament games setup in brutal PAPA fashion for every division? Super bouncy rubber, yellow post, no out lane post etc?

#87 7 years ago

Are all of the tournament games setup in brutal PAPA fashion for every division? Super bouncy rubber, yellow post, no out lane post etc?

Division A games are setup more difficult than B. B are more difficult than C. C division is more difficult than most any bar game, but C div will likely play closest to what you expect if you are new to tournaments. All games are typically fast and have fresh rubbers on everything, and the games are cleaned every morning. Last year, I believe all but one game in C div had outlane posts in. In division A, several games had none in addition to lightning flippers.

I can't say whether or not this will be the exact blueprint for this year with regard to outlane posts and lightning flips, but you can certainly expect the higher divisions to have more difficult setups, whether it's tighter slings, wider outlanes, harder software settings, or faster overall play.

In some cases for the higher divisions the games have been setup in the past to have game features completely bastardized for one reason or another, but the goal is for that practice to stay in the past. Tough but fair is ideal. Whether that balance occurs remains to be seen.

#88 7 years ago

Thanks for the info Mark! I'm counting the days wooo!

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Absinthe is only good for one thing..... paint thinner.
    I have had a lot of whiskey in my day but even sipping absinthe strained through sugar will burn for a lot longer time. No very tasty either.
    As for the Airlines what a bunch of BS no cooler and BBQ? They are simply no fun.
    Hope all that make it have a great and safe time
    Have a beer or two for me
    Cheers

You didn't drink it straight thru sugar, did you? It is not meant to be served straight, but mixed with 3.5-4 parts water. Makes a smooth, herbal drink that is anise-based (so liquorice haters will not enjoy it!). I prefer some tasty ones without sugar (like Vieux Carre, my general fave).

I can guarantee, the beer or two will be had before lunchtime on day 1!

#90 7 years ago

Plan on going this year for at least two days. Not competing, but am going to play the vast collection. Just got into pinball in April, so its going to feel like pinball heaven!

Wife also said she might come too! Was really surprised by that!

Also, is there a list of what games they have? Or is it more of a "What games don't they have?" sort of thing? Lots of pins I want to get my hands that I'll either A) Never be able to afford. i.e. CC and B) Want to try out before I buy to bring home. i.e. JP, DH, BH.

#91 7 years ago

Who's got two thumbs and just bought his airline ticket to PA? This guy.... *points thumbs at self*

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from Prkchpsndwiches:

Plan on going this year for at least two days. Not competing, but am going to play the vast collection. Just got into pinball in April, so its going to feel like pinball heaven!
    Wife also said she might come too! Was really surprised by that!
    Also, is there a list of what games they have? Or is it more of a "What games don't they have?" sort of thing? Lots of pins I want to get my hands that I'll either A) Never be able to afford. i.e. CC and B) Want to try out before I buy to bring home. i.e. JP, DH, BH.

It's pretty varied.

Pro tip: on some of the EMs you don't have to put money in! Try the credit button first.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Prkchpsndwiches:

It's probably easier to just list the ones that are not available. All of the games you listed are there and in good shape, and for BH and DH there's more than one.

The collection gets more diverse all the time. Just today we brought in an Al's Garage Band, and a robocop and Capcom Airborne is on the way.

The only "A" title game that isn't present is BBB. There's two MM's, four AFM's, and so many TAF's and TZ's that there are backups waiting in the storage room in case something goes wrong with one of the three of each available on the main floor.

#94 7 years ago

pro tip part duex: getting your initials on any game there can be nearly impossible for the average player, but if you get there early on any day, you have a good shot at getting high score of the day on NGG or RS.

Then you can brag to all the hot arcade chicks back home that you got your initials up at PAPA and it didn't even take very long.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 29.25
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,500.00
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 19.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 4.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Multigame
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside