(Topic ID: 307563)

Is On-Location Pinball about popping a game anymore?

By dyopp21

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JWJr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

As I put more and more new games out on location and I have more and more really good players, what I hear from them is the strive to put up big numbers on the leaderboard, but I never hear them talk about winning free games like we did when I was kid. With the price of new pins, I'm debating between raising prices per game or really limiting how free games can be won (special and match only vs. score) because I do have a few that can get on a new game and play for a good while off that initial game via free games won.

Any other OPs out there dealt with this in creative ways?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

As I put more and more new games out on location and I have more and more really good players, what I hear from them is the strive to put up big numbers on the leaderboard, but I never hear them talk about winning free games like we did when I was kid. With the price of new pins, I'm debating between raising prices per game or really limiting how free games can be won (special and match only vs. score) because I do have a few that can get on a new game and play for a good while off that initial game via free games won.

Covered in this thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-ops-going-to-150-with-godzilla-prem

Raise the price to $1/1 for Pro, $1.50/1 $5/4 for Prem/LE, increase initial ball save time to help casuals. Get a bill acceptor that can take $5, $10, $20s so people take advantage of the $5/4 easily. Turn off free game for high score. Most casuals don't know what it is anyway, and the knocker freaks them out.

#3 2 years ago

My local arcade has changed the replay award to an extra ball. The only way to win a free game is through the match.

Most people like this configuration, since they have an extra ball to rack up that score on the good game they are having.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

My local arcade has changed the replay award to an extra ball. The only way to win a free game is through the match.
    Most people like this configuration, since they have an extra ball to rack up that score on the good game they are having.

I second this as a player. An extra ball is nice and the rare match is icing on the cake. IMO if you bump the prem/le price up then a longer ball save is nice.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

That's a term that takes me back, "popping a game ". We used that saying when we were kids. Still use it today!

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

That’s how I set up my home machines. On location, I’d still prefer the chance to pop a game. I love the knocker! An op can always set the threshold higher if he feels that the game is giving away too many credits.

#7 2 years ago

As a player if I pay and hit the replay score. I better get a replay or I'm out. I'm even big into high score chasing but that doesn't trump earning my next game.

#8 2 years ago

I still wonder how ebd,fathom,space invaders made money back in the day. So many playfield specials, usually 2 preset replay levels, 3 credits for high game to date, 10% match feature, progressive deluxe backglass feature 3 free games.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I still wonder how ebd,fathom,space invaders made money back in the day. So many playfield specials, usually 2 preset replay levels, 3 credits for high game to date, 10% match feature, progressive deluxe backglass feature 3 free games.

Widen outlane gaps (adjust posts), remove the center post, increase incline, and turn off the match.

It's a major strugglebus with that configuration.

The EBD and Space Invaders I played as a kid were configured that way. I've never won a single free game on those machines.

#10 2 years ago

Can’t pop a new pin, what do you call it? Chirp a pin?

#11 2 years ago

Pinball is expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, and therefore it's expensive to play. I have my machines set for extra ball replay and had very few complaints. Turning replay off completely is a mistake because you want to give out some sort of reward. I tried it once and it didn't go over well.

Maintain your games and charge what you want to make sure you're not losing money and you'll be fine. The customers you want will appreciate it and realize the value for what it is.

Don't pander to a bunch of free game chasing 50 cents a game cheapskates, they can't afford to play pinball. You'll have a bad time and it'll cost you money.

#12 2 years ago

The minute it cost more than $1 on location per game is the last time I'll play on location. I'll save my money,buy the machine,play it 1000's of times and sell for a profit.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

The minute it cost more than $1 on location per game is the last time I'll play on location. I'll save my money,buy the machine,play it 1000's of times and sell for a profit.

Awwww.. You won't be missed.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

More than you would think

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Peg Bundy - "Al, I'm back...did you miss me?"

Al Bundy - "With every bullet so far................."

#16 2 years ago

One of my first favorite arcade memories is hitting the three wagons on Klondike and having the whole room turn to see who'd just racked up 3 free games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-on-location-pinball-about-popping-a-game-anymore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.