26%
  • Wait awhile, we haven't seen bottom yet 33 votes
    38%

(86 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpeg
#1 11 years ago

It was easy to stay out of the X-Men market as I saw the prices for LE's from $5200-$5600 being sold by people who were too far away (shipping really killed the deal 4me).
I even kicked around the idea of Shanetastic's Pro for 4G but the drive was too far. Now there is a Pro available close enough to me for 4G. I eventually want this machine but is the time now?With Stern's new pins coming out will there be a lot more people flooding the market with X-Men (among others of course)?

I just got the Avengers in Jan & really wasn't ready to go for another pin but the temptation is killing me...

#2 11 years ago

2 weeks after first Star Trek LE photos released.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Ozzie:

2 weeks after first Star Trek LE photos released.

That's probably a good move. You know people will be selling their machines once the next "great" pin comes out, so I'm sure you'll find an XMen in the bunch. You can't own them all right? FYI - I love my XMen.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

That's probably a good move. You know people will be selling their machines once the next "great" pin comes out, so I'm sure you'll find an XMen in the bunch. You can't own them all right? FYI - I love my XMen.

Who's to say X-Men owners will want Star Trek? Maybe you'll see a mass Avengers sell-off lol *shrug*

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Who's to say X-Men owners will want Star Trek? Maybe you'll see a mass Avengers sell-off lol *shrug*

Probably see a little of both. Throw an ACDC in there as well.
New pins are likely to increase all sales/trades, no?

#6 11 years ago

sure as new stuff goes up so does old stuff .

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm an XMen owner and I'll probably want a Star Trek, so maybe I'll be in the market to sell. Already sold my ACDC.

#8 11 years ago

What's the "going price" on XM now? Need to know the answer to that before giving an opinion on whether the price on this title will go up, down, or remain where it's at. Part of anyone's opinion on this is going to be based on what they think of the pin too (obviously). Being as objective as I can (I don't care for the gameplay of this pin), and based on what I've read in the XM code update thread (still a LOT to do...still doesn't even have combo scoring enabled) I think there is still the potential for these to drop a bit further than they are now.

Then again, the if (and that's a huge "if") the next update is a killer, the value could stabilize or go up.

I'm sure that this was all very helpful.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What's the "going price" on XM now? Need to know the answer to that before giving an opinion on whether the price on this title will go up, down, or remain where it's at

The 2 Pro's I have seen for sale w/Led's & shaker motor 4G, I have seen $5200 (HUO)- $5600 (NIB) for LE's

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

The 2 Pro's I have seen for sale w/Led's & shaker motor 4G, I have seen $5200 (HUO)- $5600 (NIB)

Sounds right. I saw the $5200.00 one, and I know Eskaybee sold his for $5400.00. Eggbert sold his for $5000.00 before the most recent code update.

I think it's safe to say that it will not go below $5k any time soon. TF LE still brings close to $5k.

#11 11 years ago

I can't even imagine!!!

#12 11 years ago

X-men owner a really couldn't care less about Star Trex. However the day Metallica is announced for pre-sale I'm all over it

As far as X-men LE pricing..in my opinion it about low as it will go. Whether it recovers at all is another story. Mines nailed to the floor...there probably 15 other pins that would go before it

#13 11 years ago

XMEN pros can be had for under $4k.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I can't even imagine!!!

I second that! YOU DID WHAT?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I would not trade my xmen le for any of the Avengers pins NIB or not.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I second that! YOU DID WHAT?

I sold ACDC to get a pseudo BSM (red SM with BSM trim and backglass). If I want ACDC again there will be plenty of them out there, minus the LEs of course.

#17 11 years ago

Now is not the time to buy X-men, Now is the time to sell me your X-men Classic comic art, sweet mirrored backglass, and great game for my collection. I do agree with Butch though, many of the current deals available are a bit out of the comfort zone due to shipping costs. I am very tempted though - especially when the price starts floating around $5,500 for an LE Wolverine.

#18 11 years ago

I don't think prices will drop any further, so from that standpoint now is the time to buy. I personally think they will start going up in the near future, especially if the next code update is a homerun. But who knows? I don't care either way...I have mine and it's not going anywhere.

I don't think we'll see another "flood" of X-Men hit the market when Star Trek or Metallica hits. There will be a few more for sale, no doubt, but we already saw the big flood when Avengers hit (and it was bigger than usual because of the software and hardware issues). Avengers is next in line to flood the market. That's just how it works. Every time a new pin comes out, the last one sees a big sell-off by the early adopters. There are a few exceptions, but that's almost always what happens. Then a few months/years later the machines will have found there way into more steady/permanent homes and the prices will stablize or go up as less people will be selling at once. It happened to Spiderman, LOTR, BDK, etc. Even IM and Tron (in pretty huge ways too). It will happen with Avengers, Metallica, and Star Trek. It's definitely going to happen with WOZ...and that's going to be a HUGE flood I think (for various reasons...none of which have anything to do with the quality of the game).

So yea...that's a lot of words to say yes...now is the time to buy X-Men.

#19 11 years ago

I went with a pro myself, best bang for the buck at least for Xmen. I normally jump on the LE, of course there are some deals to be had on Wolverine and magneto

#20 11 years ago

I would buy a Magneto LE-now! I do not see prices getting any lower. This is the best pin made-IMO. Don't delay start to play today(;

#21 11 years ago

3 weeks ago was the time to buy x-men. from reviews, they finally released a good code for the game.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from youdontknowme:

3 weeks ago was the time to buy x-men. from reviews, they finally released a good code for the game.

I would say the Ohio show was the best time to buy. A Mags LE sold for $4600.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

XMEN pros can be had for under $4k.

With a shaker motor & Led's?

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

With a shaker motor & Led's?

Yes. Someone was just selling a XMEN pro with shaker, LEDs, and Flipper Fidelity for $4k

#25 11 years ago

Buy it now bub!

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#26 11 years ago

I love the "one just sold for (insert lowest price)" comments. I saw a thread where someone picked up a fishtales for free; does that effect the price? anyone commenting on price should provide fair and balanced information. a way to do that would be "someone picked up a HUO wolverine for $5200 recently and I've noticed others for sale in the high 5k range." conversely the way NOT to do it is to say "one just sold for $5200 so the going rate is less than $5200." unless of course you are in the market for one then obviously it's in someone's best interest to underestimate what the going rate is. another good policy is to state if you are a buyer or seller. that also helps with credibility. yes I own one, yes it's for sale and yes the new code has helped immensely.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I saw a thread where someone picked up a fishtales for free; does that effect the price?

Oh poo, the market has spoken. I guess when it's time to let my Fishtales go, I'm gonna have to pay someone to take it!!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Yes. Someone was just selling a XMEN pro with shaker, LEDs, and Flipper Fidelity for $4k

I bought it. Great deal!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh poo, the market has spoken. I guess when it's time to let my Fishtales go, I'm gonna have to pay someone to take it!!

No no, Rarehero, I will come pick it up, you dont have to pay me, and I will give you a barrel of your fav beer/wine. Deal?

#30 11 years ago

I just saw a Pro listed here for $3600. I guess we haven't seen bottom yet...

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I would say the Ohio show was the best time to buy. A Mags LE sold for $4600.

If I see one at that price at the Allentown show I may need a divorce lawyer..

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I just saw a Pro listed here for $3600. I guess we haven't seen bottom yet...

Check and see if that one had the same mods as the others. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

#33 11 years ago

Seems like a many of these Xmen LEs have been put up for sale / sold already, and it does not seem to be stopping.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Seems like a many of these Xmen LEs have been put up for sale / sold already, and it does not seem to be stopping.

Correct. Two more were listed here in the last couple of days.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from luch:

sure as new stuff goes up so does old stuff .

This is true, but only if the hobby continues to attract new people; which it has been doing the past couple years. There are still not enough people in the hobby to have a really stable industry yet and there are some more manufacturers entering the market . . . hopefully they will help grow the market and I think they will.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Correct. Two more were listed here in the last couple of days.

X-men has been consistently dropping and has really never regained it's footing. Im not sure if it will either. (I could guess)

As of now, Avengers LE is following the same fate. And the Premium hasn't even been released yet.

I know it's early, but those are some pretty standard observations right now. It will be interesting to see where things go in general.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

X-men has been consistently dropping and has really never regained it's footing. Im not sure if it will either. (I could guess)
As of now, Avengers LE is following the same fate. And the Premium hasn't even been released yet.
I know it's early, but those are some pretty standard observations right now. It will be interesting to see where things go in general.

I think buying NIB games in general as a short term investment is not the best idea. IM went down and down and down in price for 18 months after its release and then in a six month period shot up to be a couple thousand dollars more than when it was NIB.

It takes a couple years to see what will happen with a pin. No one should ever expect to make money on a pin, though I suppose it is reasonable to expect to get to resell your pins for somewhere close to what you bought it for (maybe 75%-80% of what you paid for it) if you keep it in great condition.

If the hobby doubles or triples in size (I'd say it is safe to say it tripled from 2010 to today), then all these games are going to go up in value. If it stays stagnant now then all the games will slowly start depreciating except those rare rare collector games.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

If the hobby doubles or triples in size (I'd say it is safe to say it tripled from 2010 to today), then all these games are going to go up in value. If it stays stagnant now then all the games will slowly start depreciating except those rare rare collector games.

The other thing to consider is that you continue to have other games from Stern coming into the market. And if JJP actually starts getting games into homes, along with some of these other small guys, you will have even more games entering the market.

The question then becomes whether the market has enough people to absorb the games being produced, along with those already in existence. If the hobby doesn't grow at a quick enough pace, that really only leaves people currently (along with small amount entering) in the hobby to buy them. Which will result in prices coming down IMO.

It's a complicated issue that's best served by having an actual discussion. It doesn't really lend itself to being analyzed in short paragraphs in a forum. It is interesting though.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Check and see if that one had the same mods as the others. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

True.. the ones for 4G Had a shaker & Led's..Still makes it close

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

The other thing to consider is that you continue to have other games from Stern coming into the market. And if JJP actually starts getting games into homes, along with some of these other small guys, you will have even more games entering the market.
The question then becomes whether the market has enough people to absorb the games being produced, along with those already in existence. If the hobby doesn't grow at a quick enough pace, that really only leaves people currently (along with small amount entering) in the hobby to buy them. Which will result in prices coming down IMO.
It's a complicated issue that's best served by having an actual discussion. It doesn't really lend itself to being analyzed in short paragraphs in a forum. It is interesting though.

+1 on every word you said in that post. I think this would make an interesting discussion topic at some pin event. Some sort of moderated panel discussion. I will be very interested to see pin prices in two or three years.

The best NIB games ever made in pinballs history are being made right now and in the future. At the same time, more and more true A list classics are getting a full top to bottom refurbishment by masters like HEP and Jim McCune making them better and more modern than they were when they were NIB.

Can the market keep sustaining the influx of all these games? Absolutely, if it keeps growing. If new people keep coming into the hobby the market will support the current prices and expect a little climb up on machines here and there. But new people need to keep buying up the stock of machines. It is good for everyone if the hobby keeps growing.

Two buddies of mine are first time pin owners this year. One now has three machines (two were NIB purchases) and another just yesterday bought a VERY nice BSD from a distributor in Houston. These two guys got into pinball from coming to parties at my place.

Invite people over to play your machines!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-now-the-time-to-buy-x-men and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.