(Topic ID: 184406)

Is Novus 2 a wax base?

By mrbanjo

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

After you use it can you clear over it?

#2 7 years ago

Novus 2 is an abrasive cleaner and you completely remove it during it's use.

Is that what you are asking?

#3 7 years ago

Novux contains no wax - it's like using soft scrub on your playfield! A little less harsh but same thing

#4 7 years ago

Supposedly, Novus 2's main ingredient is diatomaceous earth, which is a natural soft rock material that is used in filtration products and polishing products. I remember pouring large cups of diatomaceous earth into our backyard swimming pool when I was a kid. I never knew back then it could also be used for polishing pinball playfields...

#5 7 years ago

The MSDS for NOVUS 2 lists the hazardous ingredients.

Odorless Mineral Spirits 7 to 13% by weight. .... (Light Solvent/oil).
    Silica, Amorphous, Diatomaceous Earth 1 to 7% by weight. ....(Abrasive).
    Crystalline Silicas, 0 to 4.3% by weight. ....(Abrasive).
    Morpholine, 1 to 5% by weight. ...(PH adjuster, similar to waters volatility)
    Oleic Acid, 1 to 5% by weight. ....(Emulsifying Agent)
    Non hazardous. Water 60 to 70% by weight.

NOVUS 2 is not flammable.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from fredsmythson:

Supposedly, Novus 2's main ingredient is diatomaceous earth, which is a natural soft rock material that is used in filtration products and polishing products. I remember pouring large cups of diatomaceous earth into our backyard swimming pool when I was a kid. I never knew back then it could also be used for polishing pinball playfields...

I used DE to take down a 4 foot tall ant pile behind our new house. Took a couple weeks but they're cooked now!

#7 7 years ago

Easiest answer, "No".

#8 7 years ago

Regardless, why would you not wipe down a substrate before coating it in something? Dust and dirt don't contain wax (well, unless its dried wax dust. Lol), but I wouldn't clear over those items either.

Look up some of the playfield guides.

#9 7 years ago

There are at least a couple on here, or I believe pinrepair.com has guidance as well.

#10 7 years ago

Playfield was cleaned and paint touchups made now it needs clear coat to seal the fresh paint cant wipe it down with naptha cause it takes the new paint off.......endless loop

#11 7 years ago

Sounds like you need some clear on there, pronto. I'd refer to vid's guide on next steps

#12 7 years ago

Sounds like it was done in the wrong order then...all scrubbing and cleaning should have been done followed by a good wipe down before touch ups....how else would you expect to wind up with a good final product?

Sincerely not trying to be a jerk, just saying...you obviously can't do all the repaint then wipe it down....it should have been cleaned, wiped down, then touched up and got ready for clear

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-novus-2-a-wax-base and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.