(Topic ID: 57973)

Is my small collection the Hardest of all time? (DMD only)

By TheFamilyArcade

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TFA's collection the hardest of all time?”

• no idea, but that's a pretty freaking hard collection 10 votes
    18%
  • You may be right, that's a pretty freaking hard collection 11 votes
    19%
  • No. But that's a pretty framing had collection 15 votes
    26%
  • Mines harder, details below 21 votes
    37%

(57 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TinyFlippersBSD.jpg
lineup.JPG
photo.JPG
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

TFA, you need to get out more and play some different pins.

Your poll needs an entry "E.) No, not even remotely close"

#52 10 years ago

I agree with this one. Valinor is damn near impossible for most. Alien Invasion is attainable but rarer. LITZ can be achieved with practice.

Quoted from gatordad:

Wizard Mode
In order from left to right
Valinor, Nope...... / Alien Invasion, Only on 5 ball setting so far / LITZ, a handful of times

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Valinor is damn near impossible for most.

Not impossible.

#54 10 years ago

There are also lots of pins that are REALLY hard that necessarily don't have a wizard mode as their end goal. Games like Black Hole and Firepower are brutally tough, but they don't necessarily have wizard modes to aim for.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There are TONS of games with a deeper ruleset. Harder shots? I don't know, a few, maybe. I'd call them clunky shots, not hard shots though.

i meant in combination: hard shots+plus rules....and I think you're in the minority when it comes to thinking the shots aren't hard. The IM orbit is the hardest orbit I've ever aimed for. That's in the history of pinball...That B/W ramp needs to be nutted too, miss it by a little and you're denied. And in a MB mode, hitting any of those shots under pressure is quite difficult, because nothing is positioned where it would "typically" be in a fan style layout. Maybe Hawkeye ramp, but it's still a long shot up the playfiled for an orbit shot.

In your opinion, what are some of the hardest shots in pinball you've encountered?

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There are also lots of pins that are REALLY hard that necessarily don't have a wizard mode as their end goal. Games like Black Hole and Firepower are brutally tough, but they don't necessarily have wizard modes to aim for.

Understood. DMD era plese.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

TFA, you need to get out more and play some different pins.
Your poll needs an entry "E.) No, not even remotely close"

That's really helpful Gary. Can't think of anything harder or just keeping it a secret? Name 5 DMD games that collectively are harder then the 5 I've named. it's just for fun ya know.

#58 10 years ago

Mine's pretty tough. Never beat the super wiz mode in any of these...
(probably why they're still around)

lineup.JPGlineup.JPG

#59 10 years ago

WPT ,LOTR & TSPP are far from "easy" and toss in a Shadow for more punishment.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

The IM orbit is the hardest orbit I've ever aimed for.

Never shot the left orbit on TSPP? Much harder. Same goes for TZ's and TAF's through the bumper shots.

Heck, even X-Men has harder shots than Avengers, I feel.

#61 10 years ago

BSD and possibly some other games with lightning flippers. Its easy to start 10 short games in a row if you dont think about what you are doing!

#62 10 years ago

BSD and possibly some other games with lightning flippers. Its easy to start 10 short games in a row if you dont think about what you are doing!

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Avengers is freaking hard. Love it for that, real satisfaction doing the hard shots.

yep, tight shots, and you have to make a ton of them to go into specific modes. Very difficult.

#64 10 years ago

By modest collection do you mean in quality or quantity? Either way, I would disagree with you. Looks like a great lineup to me.

#65 10 years ago

Love your Avatar. I meant quantity and percentage of hard pins per total. I'd say I'm 100%, but not all for the same reasons.

#66 10 years ago

That's really helpful Gary. Can't think of anything harder or just keeping it a secret? Name 5 DMD games that collectively are harder then the 5 I've named. it's just for fun ya know.

As has been said before, BSD. Decidedly harder than any of your six.

I'll put MM in the mix too. Finishing it's Wizard mode. Shots fairly easy, finishing the wizard, not.

TRON. Come back to me when you can hit the Gem shot reliably.

LOTR, just for sheerly annoying number of steps to get through to finish. Go do Valinor on it.

TSPP, same as LOTR, probably due to the same programmer.

Just saying, there's a lot of hard, challenging pins out there. Personally, I don't think rulesets that require a *tedious* trek through requirements are actually good rulesets. LOTR comes to mind very quickly. (we always had ours set on Hard btw) After knocking down all the pre-reqs, getting to DTR just to miss by a hair is one of the most frustrating things about that game to me. Starting over from scratch? No thanks.

I'd much rather play MM where the challenge is also fun at the same time. Getting to Battle for the Kingdom in that title is why so many people put it on it's pedestal. Fun, challenging, yet not tedious.

#67 10 years ago

So if someone owns BSD, MM, LOTR, TRON and TSPP they have a more difficult "total" pinball collection? Sure, why not? But Id say TFLE is harder to complete than MM. I don't know enough about BSD. What's the big challenge on that one?

#68 10 years ago

If difficulty is measured in terms of ball times, Fish Tales is substantially harder than the majority of your games, maybe harder than all of them. The most important shots in that game are in the middle of the playfield, and have posts right next to them that will send the ball straight down the middle if you're slightly off. The outlanes are pretty vicious on that one, too.

#69 10 years ago

I would argue that average ball time is actually what makes a game difficult. When I go and play a 45 minute game of LOTR and don't get to the end, I generally don't sit there thinking that it was a more difficult game then the 5 minute game of Jurassic Park that I had where I reached it's wizard mode, for instance.

#70 10 years ago

I'm with you on that, Goatdan. I can see an argument for difficulty being measured by how often one can complete the objectives, or get a high score, but like you, I feel that it's largely down to the ball times.

I don't understand why the OP is so adamant about his being the hardest. We're talking about his pinball games, not his 'gentleman sausage.'

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

If difficulty is measured in terms of ball times, Fish Tales is substantially harder than the majority of your games, maybe harder than all of them. The most important shots in that game are in the middle of the playfield, and have posts right next to them that will send the ball straight down the middle if you're slightly off. The outlanes are pretty vicious on that one, too.

I agree about short ball times. But the most important shots in Fishtales are the ball lock on the right, and the left orbit for jackpot. The only time you shoot the middle is for SUPER JACKPOT...otherwise just avoid that area altogether...if going for a monster high score

#72 10 years ago

Tomdotcom - I didn't mean the captive ball; that's not one you really ever WANT to shoot (except for Super Jackpot, as you said.) However, the boat ramp shots put you at risk of hitting the posts next to the captive ball, and you can't really play Fish Tales without those ramp shots. I probably just phrased that poorly at first.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Tomdotcom - I didn't mean the captive ball; that's not one you really ever WANT to shoot (except for Super Jackpot, as you said.) However, the boat ramp shots put you at risk of hitting the posts next to the captive ball, and you can't really play Fish Tales without those ramp shots. I probably just phrased that poorly at first.

No you didn't, but to get a KILLER score. The strategy is shoot ball lock. Get Jackpot. Do 3 times. Then get SUPERS. There is no reason to shoot the boat at all. That's all I meant. If playing tournament style for a huge score, and not just for fun.

#74 10 years ago

There are things that are hard to do, and there are things that are hard because the game has flaws. Something like the Super Jackpot in CFTBL isn't extremely hard, but it is challenging. The game is designed to make it tough, but it's not tough due to the design of the game. Getting the Super Jackpot is tough because it takes a lot of control and the ability to maintain a 2-ball multiball for a while.

Getting to the end of something like The Avengers is tough because the game has design issues. The latter reason for being tough makes me just want to walk away from a game.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I'm with you on that, Goatdan. I can see an argument for difficulty being measured by how often one can complete the objectives, or get a high score, but like you, I feel that it's largely down to the ball times.

Actually, how often you can get a high score isn't really a fair thing either, as if you get it a lot it means your skills are improving. Completing objectives is a sort of subjective thing because it really depends on what you're looking at. There is a mode on Viper Night Drivin' called Alien Abduction that you can ONLY reach by doing something very specific in a single mode. It's so tough to do that when I got into the game, I could not find *any* mention about how to get to this mode anywhere online. I experimented with the glass off until I figured out what triggered it, and then shut it off just so I would know. When I play Viper, I will often play specifically trying to start that mode. In literally thousands of plays knowing what I need to do, I have yet to do it.

Having said that, just having that single secret in there doesn't make the game itself any easier or harder. It's simply something really really difficult to reach. If this was a list of the hardest things in pinball to accomplish, I'd put it (as well as Do or Die Multiball) up there for sure, but when you're talking full games...

On top of that, it depends on how you set up your games. I like my games nasty. If my average ball time on WCS for instance is 35 seconds, that just means I set up my machine difficult. I'd argue that there are some games that are inherently more dangerous to shoot even if you make them easier, so I guess that is what I'd put down as the "hardest" games.

I don't understand why the OP is so adamant about his being the hardest. We're talking about his pinball games, not his 'gentleman sausage.'

I don't mean to cut him down about it - it's probably something that he looks for in his collection as "games I cannot easily beat" and based on what he listed, no matter how you set those games up you can beat them. And that's great! It is why so many different people can like pinball for so many varied reasons.

I like *short* ball times and tight tilts. I'd argue my collection is more difficult than average, and those who have played games (my favorite being one friend who has described my machines as "you know it's a Dan game if it's set up juuuuuuust this side of playable") would agree. And that's great for me

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I guess that mean my collection just got harder...because I just added Fish Tales. In post one I gave my rationale behind why each of my games is "hard". Mostly all different in that regard.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Really? Im adamant? im adamant about TFLE getting a bum rap. Im Adamant that Avengersis a true A list game and all time great. I am hardly adamant that my collection is the hardest of all time. I started the thread to provoke discussion. I'm enjoying it.

#78 10 years ago

Goat Dan...have you played Avengers with the factory outlanes? Every now and then you get a nice long game on Avengers, but way more often you're 3 minutes or less. Not as severe as IM, but pretty severe. ACDC from the factory can be pretty quick too. As can CSI. TFLE is the only long ball time game I own. And thank God, because you can't get to Wizard without them.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Mine's pretty tough. Never beat the super wiz mode in any of these...
(probably why they're still around)

Sweet Stern wall o' pins there!

#80 10 years ago

Goat Dan...have you played Avengers with the factory outlanes? Every now and then you get a nice long game on Avengers, but way more often you're 3 minutes or less. Not as severe as IM, but pretty severe. ACDC from the factory can be pretty quick too. As can CSI. TFLE is the only long ball time game I own. And thank God, because you can't get to Wizard without them.

Avengers - Yes, multiple times, different games. Most recently was yesterday. I honestly don't know what is going on in that game because my scores sucked, but I can tell you that hard was definitely not a word that I was thinking for it. I actually remember when playing it yesterday at one point thinking that maybe I should just let the ball drain because it was clear I didn't know what I was doing, and nothing was going on. I feel like I need to dig into Avengers before I can give it any sort of honest review, and I didn't have the time to do that yesterday, so I wanted out.

ACDC I agree with you can be pretty quick from factory.

CSI is not fast from factory at all. I actually really dig CSI as a game, but if you set it up factory I don't think it's hard to keep the ball in play at all. Based on what I have seen using that machine in tournaments, players tend to agree.

#81 10 years ago

Im Adamant that Avengersis a true A list game and all time great.

I'm glad that you enjoy Avengers, but it's not an A game by any measure. You can love non-A titles though. BoP isn't an A game, but dang it, it's in my top 20.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm glad that you enjoy Avengers, but it's not an A game by any measure. You can love non-A titles though. BoP isn't an A game, but dang it, it's in my top 20.

An A list game is something totally subjective. It includes Viper Night Drivin'.

I don't see why it has to exclude Avengers in any way.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

An A list game is something totally subjective.

Nailed it.

Easy or hard game means different to different people. WH2O is a perfect example . If you are just playing for score go for X5 playfield, lock the balls and rape the waterfall jackpot = great score. If you want to advance the raft to Wet Willies (and hit vacation jackpot) the score is secondary to advancing the raft, class 6 river , locking balls, etc.

Hard is subjective and varies if you are just trying to hit the wizard mode and "beat" the machine or posting a high score. Its not a "hard" game but getting vacation jackpot can difficult to hit.

WCS94 is not a super hard game but getting to the finals is not simple either.

I like them both more than some "A" list titles and are WAY more fun.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

I like them both more than some "A" list titles and are WAY more fun.

WCS is an A list game too.

Whitewater is not. Maybe Bish.

(For anyone freaking, remember, I said an A list game is subjective, and that is truly how I feel).

#85 10 years ago

I don't know enough about BSD. What's the big challenge on that one?

Everything about BSD is brutally difficult. If you are not a control player you will suffer. Missed shots = death. Slingshots = death. A lot of the times shots made = death. The big challenge is getting all three MB ready to go and then starting all of them at once. Doing this gives you 3x scoring and makes major shots in the game worth 30m a piece. The real satisfying goal are the 3x double castle jackpots and hearing the vamp ladies scream when the sight of the cross melts their faces off lol!

Heres an example of a properly setup BSD kicking the @#$% out of some players.

Personally I think BSD is similar to IM in overall difficulty but I would still give the edge to BSD. I do think getting dodmb or dod is tons harder than 3x mb. To bad BSD doesn't have a wiz mode.

#86 10 years ago

Um, no, you don't personally decide what an A list game is. The community decides that through votes and the set pricing. What is subjective is how much you like or value any given game, regardless of it being an A title or not. We can't have people listing Stern's NFL as an A list game, because it is not by any measurable factor. It doesn't mean that it can't be your favorite game though that you personally value far more than the established amount by the community.

#87 10 years ago

"A" list is not a real list anyway, just a number of top priced, desirable games with little bearing on how they actually play. A-list = high price but not necessarily a great playing game.

#88 10 years ago

I seem to remember "A" list games representing out of production games that cost $3K or more.

I realize it may be difficult for some of our newer people to believe, but back in 2005-2007, The list of out of production games that consistently cost more than $3,000 were:

The Addams Family
Medieval Madness
Attack From Mars
Tales Of The Arabian Nights
Cirqus Voltaire
Theatre of Magic
Monster Bash
Cactus Canyon

I may be missing one or two, but "A" games had nothing to do with quality of play. It had everything to do with being the highest cost games.

At least, that is how I remember it.

Marcus

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Whitewater is not. Maybe Bish.

Strange, I always say "F_cking -A" every time I play mine.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm glad that you enjoy Avengers, but it's not an A game by any measure.

Well, actually, its an A game by MY measure.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

(For anyone freaking, remember, I said an A list game is subjective, and that is truly how I feel).

Yeah, me too. I understand the concept of "A listers" being the highest priced and most desirable games. But I often just think to myself that "A-Listers" are the best games. Actually, AV and Hulk LE will ultimately fulfill both definitions. Limited production games that KICK ASS but weren't appreciated in their time.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The community decides that through votes and the set pricing.

Crap! There was a vote? And I missed it? What year was this in? What is the set pricing that officially decides when a game becomes an A list game? And if it is above what Avengers LE sells for, that would make A-list what?

I'd like to talk to who voted.

Quoted from Xerico:

I may be missing one or two, but "A" games had nothing to do with quality of play. It had everything to do with being the highest cost games.

At least, that is how I remember it.

At least from my memory, people were talking A-list games all the way back to the late 90s. There was big debates / whinefests in the early days about if LOTR could ever be an A title. It sort of settled on the machines that were like the ones that you named, but there was always debate over it.

It should also be noted that if we are using the definitions that were started back then, only Bally / Williams titles could be denoted as an A game. Data East / Sega / Stern / Capcom, no matter how expensive, were never considered because they weren't "of the same make."

Around the time frame you mentioned, the list you suggested was about the correct list of games that were sort of generally thought of if someone mentioned an "a list" game, but especially the last two or three years with the pricing changes, as well as how many new collectors are into Sterns, the definition has completely blurred.

If pricing is still used as the main measure, I would have a hard time believing that the bar for pricing is above what Avengers LE is.

#93 10 years ago

Fine, you define whatever you want how you want. Life and language don't work that way, but whatever. This is silliness in the extreme and I feel like I'm trying to argue with my 4-year old son.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I would add RBION to any difficult list. Actually having to complete all modes makes the game super hard, plus getting all super jackpots gives another wizard mode.
To me, difficult and repetitive are two different things. IJ4 and TF are not as difficult as they are insanely repetitive, you have to make the exact same shots 100+ times...which is not fun.

+1 on that

RBION is insane

I do not think TSPP is that hard to obtain as I've done it several times and I'm not a great player

Have not gotten Do or Die multi ball but got the other multiball with completing all modes on one ball that the 50 million shot

Add RBION instead of AC/DC and Flash Gordon and that's an insane kickass hard lineup

#95 10 years ago

A list or A-list (lst)
n. Informal
A list or group of the most admired or desirable people, as for a job or social gathering

So it's a list reserved for the most desired and most admirable according to the majority consensus. Sorry, Avengers doesn't qualify.

Stop thinking that your own opinion defines the list for everyone else. Everyone else actually defines it for you. You can disagree, but you don't change the list by doing so. I dislike CV, but yes, it is most definitely an A-list game by definition.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Fine, you define whatever you want how you want. Life and language don't work that way, but whatever. This is silliness in the extreme and I feel like I'm trying to argue with my 4-year old son.

What is the official list then? Where can I find it, and who defines it?

And, since I've been watching these debates for nearly 15 years now, so I must have totally missed when this became official. I'd really like to know what I missed.

Edit: Saw your above post. What about Avengers makes it not desirable or admirable? Wouldn't pricing on it be way lower based on your definition? I can buy a TZ cheaper then an Avengers LE. Is it not A list?

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Have not gotten Do or Die multi ball but got the other multiball with completing all modes on one ball that the 50 million shot

Iron Man doesn't give a multiball upon completing all modes on one ball. If you start (not complete) all modes on one ball, you get Do Or Die which is the 50 million shot you're mentioning. If, however, you complete all of the shields in one game, you start Jericho - but that isn't a multiball mode. Probably what you are thinking of thought.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Iron Man doesn't give a multiball upon completing all modes on one ball. If you start (not complete) all modes on one ball, you get Do Or Die which is the 50 million shot you're mentioning. If, however, you complete all of the shields in one game, you start Jericho - but that isn't a multiball mode. Probably what you are thinking of thought.

Yep one shot up the middle for Do or die. my bad as it is not a multi ball

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

+1 on that
RBION is insane
I do not think TSPP is that hard to obtain as I've done it several times and I'm not a great player
Add RBION instead of AC/DC and Flash Gordon and that's an insane kickass hard lineup

+2

Just picked up a nice RBION and I figured out 2 things pretty quick:

1. It's awesome
2. It's really hard

On topic, TFLE is a great game along with Avengers. 'A-list' is in the eye of the beer-holder.

#100 10 years ago

No mention of TOTAN? Unbelievably hard. But the plus-side of that is you won't get bored with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 24.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-my-small-collection-the-hardest-of-all-time/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.