(Topic ID: 57973)

Is my small collection the Hardest of all time? (DMD only)

By TheFamilyArcade

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TFA's collection the hardest of all time?”

• no idea, but that's a pretty freaking hard collection 10 votes
    18%
  • You may be right, that's a pretty freaking hard collection 11 votes
    19%
  • No. But that's a pretty framing had collection 15 votes
    26%
  • Mines harder, details below 21 votes
    37%

(57 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TinyFlippersBSD.jpg
lineup.JPG
photo.JPG
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Silly idea, I know, but hear me out. I have a modest collection of pins ... But damn, if they aren't all freaking hard to beat. It got me thinking, does anyone else have a collection of 5 pins this difficult? In no particular order of difficulty:

Iron Man: The Do or Die MB wizard. Is anyone on record as having gotten there, let alone beat it (if its beatable)?

ACDC: getting to Encore seems pretty tough...not sure if there's something beyond that

TFLE: for all the talk about "it's chopping wood" the game is HARD to BEAT! Has anyone done it? I've gotten to Cybertron once with the new code...on the easiest settings I could surmise.

Avengers LE: is there a game with harder shots and a deeper ruleset? In 7 months of SOLID play I've not come close to wiz mode.

CSI: This game has 3 awesome multiballs with great rules. has anyone ever beat all three multiballs and gotten the one "wizard shot" for $50M? I've only beat centrifuge MB myself. Skull and Microscope multiballs are two of the hardest (and coolest) MBs Ive ever played.

So, 5 machines, and I've barely been to one wizard. These game have a combination of hard and deep/long that I think may be hard to match.

Post edited by TheFamilyArcade : Because I'm not inlcuding a bunch of EMs and SSs that were built to drain so operators could make more money. LOVE the toughness and randomness of those games, but they don't count.

#2 10 years ago

Are your games "dialed in"

#3 10 years ago

I disqualify Iron man as a buddy of mine got to do or die on his first handful of games. I think anyone with tspp & Lotr in their lineup has a good chance of unseating you. You certainly have me beat, though.

#4 10 years ago

Don't forget about non wiz mode games that will kick you in the junk. I would say an ultimate mix of wiz/non wiz would be tspp, Lotr, tfle, bsd & Flash Gordon.

#5 10 years ago

Hardest to believe you only have Stern. Try BK2K, you will only last for moments.

#6 10 years ago

Nope Sorry , Because the hardest game to get to the wizard mode is Stern Indiana Jones .

#7 10 years ago

Not even close. Many of the early Bally games would frequently burn a whole game with 3 straight STDMs. It would be hard to get a game over a minute long. Some of the 60s Gottlieb games like Oklahoma had center drain areas three times as wide as what we have now. Brian B has a collection of those Bally games in fantastic condition that is way harder than yours. I've also seen a couple of Gottlieb collections that would give you nightmares and yet you still want to play them for hours on end. I will give you this; Your collection is a lot harder than mine.

#8 10 years ago

Or how bout the EM machines that a single tilt would end the game?

Bye Bye dime!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Avengers LE: is there a game with harder shots and a deeper ruleset?

Yes: X-Men.

8 Hero Modes
7 Villain Modes
Integrated combo system
4 multiball modes, not including wizard modes
3 wizard modes
customizable mode stacking

...and all of that is with the current unfinished code, so it's not even finished (IF it ever will, lol). I've played TAV, and with the current XM code, TAV seems shallow. I'm sure I'll take sh!t for bringing up the love/hate XM, but I had to point it out that TAV is nowhere close to as deep as XM currently is, even with gaping holes in the unfinished code.

#10 10 years ago

And if you think those games are hard, I'd like to see how many plays it would take you just to get three ball multiball on Fireball, or how many times you could actually hit the ball with the flippers during one play. Lol.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Are your games "dialed in"

dude, you should take some meds for that OCD. Borrow some from Rarehero.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And if you think those games are hard, I'd like to see how many plays it would take you just to get three ball multiball on Fireball, or how many times you could actually hit the ball with the flippers during one play. Lol.

Laughing Out Loud. I did that when I was 10. At the K-Mart in Northridge CA, by the Peppertree 3 Theatre where I saw "Elvis, That's the Way it Is" and went to the Farrells after. The skill shot in Fireball is hard. Nothing else is. Fireball is an all-time classic worthy of that status, but also one of the most gimicky games of all time. Zipper Flippers, spinning disc, multi-ball, WOW! Hard is not a definition I'd use for Fireball.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Nope Sorry , Because the hardest game to get to the wizard mode is Stern Indiana Jones .

is that because it's almost impossible to get to a wizard mode when you're sleeping?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I disqualify Iron Man as a buddy of mine got to do or die on his first handful of games. I think anyone with tspp & Lotr in their lineup has a good chance of unseating you. You certainly have me beat, though.

Do or Die SHOT or Do or Die Multiball?

#15 10 years ago

Tfa..maybe you need to buy my ToM....it doesn't get much easier than this game to get to the wizard mode.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Hardest to believe you only have Stern. Try BK2K, you will only last for moments.

BK2K is one game. So is Fireball for that matter. I said "collection". If someone only has LOTR and TSPP than their "Collection" is harder...but not if they also have SM and MB too for example.

Any 5 game collection with Fireball automatically isn't harder than mine.

BTW, how would you even know how long I'd last on any game? Are you projecting your playing shortcomings onto me or is your point that no one is good at BK2K?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Tfa..maybe you need to buy my ToM....it doesn't get much easier than this game to get to the wizard mode.

My family played a TOM is CA while we were on vacation and loved it. I'd consider it, but as you may or may not know I have a TFLE for sale (or trade....hint, hint) and nothing gets bought until I move it.

BTW, I'm not looking for easier games. I like hard games. I've been to Valinor twice and beat SH on SM, with a 1.5B score on 3 ball with hard settings.

The idea just came into my head that my collection, in a few different ways, is a pretty difficult collection of games.

#18 10 years ago

Laughing Out Loud. I did that when I was 10.

OK, you got me!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I disqualify Iron Man as a buddy of mine got to do or die on his first handful of games. I think anyone with tspp & Lotr in their lineup has a good chance of unseating you. You certainly have me beat, though.

Do or Die multi ball is different than just Do or Die...

I know of nobody that has ever got to Do or Die multi ball.

DoD MB is unobtainable really...

#20 10 years ago

Awesome collection man!

I think it is very important to have games that are hard and have as deep rules as possible when it comes to a small collection which you intend to play every day. I currently have ES and FT. FT is kicking my ass to get to super jackpots I like the when there is stuff to do on pin and have multiple strategies to go for. Hope to get more deeper pins in the future.

#21 10 years ago

sorry but any collection not including a FT is not hard

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Do or Die multi ball is different than just Do or Die...
I know of nobody that has ever got to Do or Die multi ball.
DoD MB is unobtainable really...

Gotcha, I was going on what he said, have no idea which of those he got to. Permission to remove head from arse approved?

I thumbs downed TFA because he thinks early ss games were only built to drain balls and earn money. That's a piss poor reason to exclude them. Just say you want to exclude them but that isn't all they are about.

No offense, TFA, we get along 90+% of the time.

#23 10 years ago

yeah DoD multi ball is stupid hard to get to.. if not impossible

#24 10 years ago

And CSI is ridiculously hard to complete too...

#25 10 years ago

Only have three at the moment, TSPP, lotr and avpro....xmen pro coming next week. I can't beat any of them. Sold my two easiest games, TAF and HS2. I've found I get bored on games I can beat or are too shallow. TAF and hs2 are great games, don't get me wrong, just not great in small collections. Only problem with harder games is ball times can be long, but who can complain with playing lotr for 30-60 mins. Took me 25 mins to hit 210 mil on AV and about 45 mins to hit 145 mil on TSPP.

I might get easier games, but not for more than 2k. Was thinking about dr dude for less that 1500 as possibly being good to add. It's free on pinball arcade now, have to say I really like it.

#26 10 years ago

No early ss games are harder.

#27 10 years ago

Meh, if you enjoy the challenge then there is no problem

I hate games that I can beat on my first game with no knowledge of the rules

#28 10 years ago

dude, you should take some meds for that OCD. Borrow some from Rarehero.

I like pills

#29 10 years ago

hardest DMD... I'll stick with Williams games:
#1 BSD
#2 SHADOW
maybe not third, but hard: FT

#30 10 years ago

We could split this up into four categories, since it can be hard to compare games decades apart:

1) electromechs
2) solid state pre-DMD
3) DMD up to and including Pinball 2000
4) after Pinball 2000: modern Stern and JJP

Since most of my experience is in category 2, I'll mention: Black Knight 2000 (as previously mentioned) and Pinbot-- which loves to throw the ball from the pop bumpers down the left outlane, and that shot to advance planets is as far over on the right as it can get, which makes it fiendishly difficult to advance planets all the way to the Sun.

For category 3, what about Star Trek: The Next Generation? I remember that one being a nasty drain monster.

#31 10 years ago

No BabyPac eh? That has got to be the hardest pin ever to complete.

#32 10 years ago

Folks, I'm in agreement on SS and EM games...anyone who can consistently rake on those games is a master. I definitely want more time on the Alpha Numerics too (especially all those Gottleibs! This was all in fun. I just realized one day that every game I have kicks the crap out of me!

Happy to hear FT is a challenge! I hope to have one soon. Any strong guys out on Long Island that can help me pull one out of a basement?

#33 10 years ago

BTW, how would you even know how long I'd last on any game? Are you projecting your playing shortcomings onto me or is your point that no one is good at BK2K?

I guess BK2k and Fireball aren't DMDs, are they? Must have missed that when I chimed in. But while I'm here I will mention that I also played Fireball when I was 10, at Carter bowl in Anaheim. For me, a kid with little money, this was a special occasion game, as your ball could drain as fast as your dime. But this was no gimmick machine, this pin was (and still is) special. It had and has a combination of features that did not re-appear until many years later, and set the wheels in motion for the "difficult" games that you are now having such a hard time with now. As far as DMDs are concerned- congrats on your "hard" collection.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

hardest DMD... I'll stick with Williams games:
#1 BSD
#2 Shadow
maybe not third, but hard: FT

Bsd: is there even a wizard mode? It's easier to stack all 3 Mb and get 30 mil jackpots than to beat any of the games on his list

Shadow: this game is hard when you first get it, but not so bad once you figure it out and dial it in. The key is theist orbit, hold right upper flipper for bounce in mode start. I've been to final battle several times and beaten the first wave once (it just keeps restarting). I don't think shadow is anywhere near in the league of the listed games for wizard more difficulty.

Come to think of it, none of the BW games are that hard. I don't think there are any that I own that I haven't beaten at least once. Unless you count joining the cirqus 4 times in one game as the way to beat CV.

Sttng with default outlanes on stock settings might be about the hardest one I can think of in the BW Dmd line. (Mine has extended outlanes and kickback is set to easy)

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Bsd: is there even a wizard mode? It's easier to stack all 3 Mb and get 30 mil jackpots than to beat any of the games on his list

Maybe 1 in every 50 games you can stack all 3 multi's.....yeah right! I have yet to see anyone walk up to my machine and immediately pull this off...maybe after playing it all night. It doesn't need a wizard mode...that's why it's always featured in most major tournaments.

#36 10 years ago

BSD has the shortest ball time of any dmd i've played.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Shadow: this game is hard when you first get it, but not so bad once you figure it out and dial it in. The key is theist orbit, hold right upper flipper for bounce in mode start. I've been to final battle several times and beaten the first wave once (it just keeps restarting). I don't think Shadow is anywhere near in the league of the listed games for wizard more difficulty.
Come to think of it, none of the BW games are that hard. I don't think there are any that I own that I haven't beaten at least once. Unless you count joining the cirqus 4 times in one game as the way to beat CV.
Sttng with default outlanes on stock settings might be about the hardest one I can think of in the BW Dmd line. (Mine has extended outlanes and kickback is set to easy)

How are you coming with AV? If you have XMEN too I'm curious as to your opinion on the difficulty between the two.

#38 10 years ago

Avengers is freaking hard. Love it for that, real satisfaction doing the hard shots.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Avengers is freaking hard. Love it for that, real satisfaction doing the hard shots.

Has there ever been a game where you bricked soooo many shots and still had a blast?

But how do you beat Loki Multiball? or do the jackpots just keep going until you drain?

1 week later
#40 10 years ago

I would buy an OJ Simpson pinball machine

#41 10 years ago

I have never been to Encore mode in ACDC and don't know if I ever will...hard!

#42 10 years ago

TSPP and Shadow are tough pins, but I love them for that.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I would buy an OJ Simpson pinball machine

How about an autographed photo of a young OJ? I have one.

#44 10 years ago

Wizard Mode
In order from left to right

Valinor, Nope...... / Alien Invasion, Only on 5 ball setting so far / LITZ, a handful of times

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#45 10 years ago

TFLE is easy.

#46 10 years ago

How about an autographed photo of a young OJ? I have one.

Is he wearing gloves, and holding a knife ?

#47 10 years ago

by all means, tell me about your experiences with Cybertron. How many times, etc.?

#48 10 years ago

by all means, tell me about your experiences with Cybertron. How many times, etc.?

I was just playing around. I havent had any quality time on TF unfortunately. If I did you know Id have it licked in no time!

#49 10 years ago

Avengers LE: is there a game with harder shots and a deeper ruleset? In 7 months of SOLID play I've not come close to wiz mode.

There are TONS of games with a deeper ruleset. Harder shots? I don't know, a few, maybe. I'd call them clunky shots, not hard shots though.

#50 10 years ago

I would add RBION to any difficult list. Actually having to complete all modes makes the game super hard, plus getting all super jackpots gives another wizard mode.

To me, difficult and repetitive are two different things. IJ4 and TF are not as difficult as they are insanely repetitive, you have to make the exact same shots 100+ times...which is not fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-my-small-collection-the-hardest-of-all-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.