Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jon_f
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3254 (resized).JPG
IMG_3250 (resized).JPG
thats what she said (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
a6fec5697be236b2713a4144f89e123ad2ce0dcc (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

So, I got a brand new SW: Premium on Sunday, and it is a beautiful machine.

My distributor drove it several hours to my place, and set it up for me. Everything SEEMED fine out of the gate (other than a spurious right flipper EOS tech alert), but a friend of mine was playing, and neither of us could break 100 million. Everything was draining down the outlanes, often at high speed.

For a game where people claim scores north of a billion, on their first playthroughs, this seemed odd.

So, I started looking at things. The bubble level was WAY out of the box for angle. I measured with PinGuy app, and it was 8 degrees, with the phone set over the falcon artwork. Side level was almost half a degree out.

So, I leveled it, until PinGuy was happy with me, and I got a whole new set of automatic drains.

So, try a couple more apps, move the phone around the playfield. Horrifyingly, if I get the side level set to 0 with the phone in the middle, it shows 0.8 to 1 degree out on either side of the playfield.

I asked my distributor about this, who is not local, and he says, "Measure the side level on the lockdown bar.".

Well, yes, technically I could. And yes, it's nice and level there. That doesn't REALLY answer my question of "Is my playfield warped?" and "Is it warped enough to matter?"

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from AwesomeDolphin76:

So, I got a brand new SW: Premium on Sunday, and it is a beautiful machine.
My distributor drove it several hours to my place, and set it up for me. Everything SEEMED fine out of the gate (other than a spurious right flipper EOS tech alert), but a friend of mine was playing, and neither of us could break 100 million. Everything was draining down the outlanes, often at high speed.
For a game where people claim scores north of a billion, on their first playthroughs, this seemed odd.
So, I started looking at things. The bubble level was WAY out of the box for angle. I measured with PinGuy app, and it was 8 degrees, with the phone set over the falcon artwork. Side level was almost half a degree out.
So, I leveled it, until PinGuy was happy with me, and I got a whole new set of automatic drains.
So, try a couple more apps, move the phone around the playfield. Horrifyingly, if I get the side level set to 0 with the phone in the middle, it shows 0.8 to 1 degree out on either side of the playfield.
I asked my distributor about this, who is not local, and he says, "Measure the side level on the lockdown bar.".
Well, yes, technically I could. And yes, it's nice and level there. That doesn't REALLY answer my question of "Is my playfield warped?" and "Is it warped enough to matter?"

Try putting a straight ruler on playfield and see if theres a noticable gap under the ends or if it rocks back and forth from a hump in the middle.

Also recommend going to Sears and buying a digital level and close your outlanes to smallest setting if your new to pinball.

#3 2 years ago

put a straight edge on the pf. does it wobble?

#4 2 years ago

Don't over think it. As others said, put a flat metal ruler or other straight edge on the playfield and look for space under the ruler or it wobbling. Your measurements are tough to get accurate so the flat edge will give you an idea if there really is a curve there.

#5 2 years ago

What you’re describing isn’t normal. Wood has some natural variation, but not a degree side to side like that.

#6 2 years ago

Does your cabinet have the latches to hold the playfield in place? They would be on both sides of the cabinet, near the upper middle on each side? If so, maybe the playfield does not engage correctly on one or both sides?

See this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-part-is-this-1#post-3963935

#7 2 years ago

The answer after much checking is, yes, my playfield does seem to be warped. A straightedge wiggles by almost 1/8" when placed sideways by the FORCE targets.

#8 2 years ago

Sorry for your loss.

a6fec5697be236b2713a4144f89e123ad2ce0dcc (resized).png

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Sorry for your loss.

Nope. Stern will do the right thing here. This is more warp than any spec would allow for.

#10 2 years ago

Depending on the season...

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Depending on the season...

California is a great place to be for wood and humidity. My guitars are much happier since I moved here and they need much less maintenance.

Marc

#12 2 years ago

Sounds like the Stern factory needs to move to California then.

Capture (resized).JPG

#13 2 years ago

That would be awesome. I’d love to work there one day!

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Sorry for your loss.

Real nice comment there. Nothing more fun than making a guy worry more than he needs to is there? If his playfield is warped, which I'd be surprised if it is but anything is possible, Stern will 100 percent send him a new replacement playfield.

#15 2 years ago

I have now waited for a replacement playfield (due to being warped) for 9 months from Stern. Not giving up hope though, I guess these things take time.

#16 2 years ago

I was playing a SW earlier tonight on location and couldn't help that think the playfield was warped. I watched the ball do some crazy turns in the center of the playfield while playing a game that was new in box 2 weeks ago. Probably not an isolated situation.

#17 2 years ago

The OPs issue can absolutely be caused by improper adjustment of the leg levelers.

Try moving the game temporarily to a different location in the room (different floor surface) start with all 4 leg levelers all the way in (short) then try and raise the back ones evenly a bit. Check the level of the game, and then try and make the playfield level.

Still warped?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Real nice comment there. Nothing more fun than making a guy worry more than he needs to is there? If his playfield is warped, which I'd be surprised if it is but anything is possible, Stern will 100 percent send him a new replacement playfield.

If a playfield is warped, I think Stern will replace it. They did replace my warped MET Premium playfield.

My recommendation is going through the distributor for this issue. I don't think Stern will deal directly with customers on big ticket items any more - or they are very reluctant to.

Rob

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from AwesomeDolphin76:

The answer after much checking is, yes, my playfield does seem to be warped. A straightedge wiggles by almost 1/8" when placed sideways by the FORCE targets.

You need to send pictures of that to your distributor.

Rob

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

I was playing a SW earlier tonight on location and couldn't help that think the playfield was warped. I watched the ball do some crazy turns in the center of the playfield while playing a game that was new in box 2 weeks ago. Probably not an isolated situation.

A pinball does spin, correct?

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It was meant to be a rebuke of Stern and their newly created policy of "you get what you get". I sincerely hope the OP gets taken care of if it's warranted. Maybe some of my games are warped too, i thought i just played bad. Never checked!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

It was meant to be a rebuke of Stern and their newly created policy of "you get what you get". I sincerely hope the OP gets taken care of if it's warranted. Maybe some of my games are warped too, i thought i just played bad. Never checked!

Stern doesn't have a "new" policy though. That is just for people who have one little blemish that can barely be seen wanting a new playfield is my guess. They are still replacing defective playfields just like they always have.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

It was meant to be a rebuke of Stern and their newly created policy of "you get what you get". I sincerely hope the OP gets taken care of if it's warranted.

If you read Stern's written warranty you would see that it does not cover the playfield. At all. This is not new. Someone checked recently and the Stern warranty is unchanged back to at least LOTR. So coverage for warping, crazing, ghosting, or pretty much anything else other than boards is going to fall outside of the written warranty, and will be provided in spite of, not because of, the written words. Same as it ever was.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Nope. Stern will do the right thing here. This is more warp than any spec would allow for.

Stern has seen the pictures I took, and has already agreed to replace the playfield. It took them < 24 hours from being notified by my distributor to agree on a replacement. Could there be a bad batch that got out?

I saw someone's comment about the ball doing crazy things, and I'd agree. The game just doesn't play right, while it was playing VERY well when I got to try it out at CAX.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

California is a great place to be for wood and humidity.

I've lived in Ca. all my life and I must say my wood is still in excellent shape.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've lived in Ca. all my life and I must say my wood is still in excellent shape.

thats what she said (resized).jpg

#27 2 years ago

And it's not warped....

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What's your secret? Chalk it up to clean living and vitamin pills? Avoid mill wax?

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What's your secret? Chalk it up to clean living and vitamin pills? Avoid mill wax?

Avoiding cold weather. I hear that can make wood shrink.

3 months later
#30 2 years ago

I have problems with balls jumping over the flippers. Maybe the warped playfield is the cause?

IMG_3250 (resized).JPG
IMG_3254 (resized).JPG

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from peter75:

I have problems with balls jumping over the flippers. Maybe the warped playfield is the cause?

I had this same issue for a while. I resolved it by moving the flipper rubber up so that it was flush with the top of the flipper. No more ball bouncing over the flipper.

Jon

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside