4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-353.jpg
    image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Was playing WCS the other day and suddenly the display started getting a little screwy...like huge diagonal chunks of the dots missing and the others jumbled a little. Then after about 5 seconds of that, it went dark. Previously it was bright and clear and showed no signs of getting old.

I swapped in the display (just the display) from Fish Tales and everything worked great.

Can I fix this old display? Seems like it could be something repairable...it wasn't outgassing or anything.

#2 4 years ago

Going to say no. You'd have to diagnose what failed on the display. If it is pin style you could desolder the glass, do your work, and resolder the glass. Lot of work for not a lot of payoff. If it is ribbon style, there are ways to reaffix it, but well beyond too much work.

Just get a new one. Or put a request out for a used one.

#3 4 years ago

I have a used one that I took out of my TSPP in order to install a ColorDMD. It is starting to outgas in the lower right corner, though. But if you're willing to pay shipping, it's all yours.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from mskoenen:

I have a used one that I took out of my TSPP in order to install a ColorDMD. It is starting to outgas in the lower right corner, though. But if you're willing to pay shipping, it's all yours.

Amazing offer - I will totally take you up on it. Thanks! Sending pm.

#5 4 years ago

That's some cool pinside karma!!

#6 4 years ago

Have you tried simply re-seating the connector to the original display? It sounds like you just removed it and installed another without trying to re-seat the connector as the first step of fault finding. For a display to die like that I would immediately suspect the ribbon cable.

Be mindful that using an outgassed display will result in added stress on the 5V section which can in turn result in game resets. An outgassed display is good to have as a spare just for a quick test but you need to think seriously about using it in your machine full time.

Try the original display again and see if it comes good after the connector has been reseated.

#7 4 years ago

Is it the 5V section that gets overloaded? I thought it was the HV circuit.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Is it the 5V section that gets overloaded? I thought it was the HV circuit.

Double checked the old Pinrepair guides, it is easier to quote the guides.......

"There is no way to fix an old "outgassed" display.
    When a DMD starts to get blurry or displays gaps, the rumor is the power
    requirements for the display increases. It turns out this rumor is actually incorrect,
    at least as far as the High Voltage (-120 and +65 volts) is concerned. The HV (high
    voltage) power used by a display is directly proportional to the number of dots lit on
    the display. If a display is entirely outgassed and not lighting (even though the CPU
    is asking the display to lit), it will consume no more HV (high voltage) than a working
    display that is not lit. Kirb did some test of various displays and metered the results,
    proving this.
    But what about the 5 volt consumption? Unfortunately we did not do enough testing
    of the 5 volts to draw any conclusions. But based on reports of outgassed displays
    causing game resets (stressing the 5 volt supply), it is reasonable to think that an
    outgassed DMD does consume more 5 volt power. Another interesting fact is that
    certain DMD makes consume more 5 volt power than others. The biggest 5 volt
    power hog is Dale/Visay, consuming nearly twice what other DMD displays use."

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Have you tried simply re-seating the connector to the original display? It sounds like you just removed it and installed another without trying to re-seat the connector as the first step of fault finding. For a display to die like that I would immediately suspect the ribbon cable.

Sorry, I left all that out. I first re-seated all the connectors. Still bad. Then I swapped in a different DMD controller board. Still nothing. Then I swapped in a different display. Works fine.

So new display worked with existing connectors. Old display did not work when put into a different machine.

#10 4 years ago

Fair enough. Might be worth having a look at the ribbon cable connector on the display itself just to rule that out.

mskoenen's offer is a very kind and generous one but just have a good think about using an out gassing display as a permanent fix.

#11 4 years ago

I have a dmd that I swapped out for a color dmd. No outgassing, working condition. I took them out of TAF, TOM, and SS. I do not plan to ever use them so I would like to see one of them put to use. I'll give you one for the actual cost of shipping. Let me know if you want it.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from PittPin:

I have a dmd that I swapped out for a color dmd. No outgassing, working condition. I took them out of TAF, TOM, and SS. I do not plan to ever use them so I would like to see one of them put to use. I'll give you one for the actual cost of shipping. Let me know if you want it.

If you want to take his, you're not going to hurt my feelings ☺

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from PittPin:

Amazing you people. Amazing. PM sent.

Quoted from mskoenen:

If you want to take his, you're not going to hurt my feelings ☺

That's good. If it was going to hurt your feelings, I'd probably do it anyway. No harm in having a spare.

#14 4 years ago

I am interested in buying the failed DMD. Is there any screen burn in? What brand is it?

#15 4 years ago

I am also looking for old used dmd displays that work. I have several project dmd games with no displays or very bad displays in them ie missing lines etc etc.
    If there are any left over from anyone's conversions I would gladly buy them and put them to use. I am in canada though..D'oh!

#16 4 years ago

Ever tried a color LCD kit? I mean it's not like we don't have solutions to these obsolete parts.

#17 4 years ago

love to get color dmd's THEY ARE AMAZING......but wow so spendy up here...

#18 4 years ago

Heh. A color dmd can cost as much as the project machine itself.

#19 4 years ago

If it's a VISHAY-DALE DMD they will rebuild it with a new Plasma Display & Test, replacing any bad PCB components as needed for $82 & change, shiping both ways is on you.
    PM me for contact info @ Vishay.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

love to get color dmd's THEY ARE AMAZING......but wow so spendy up here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd

Quoted from Pin_-_K:

If it's a VISHAY-DALE DMD they will rebuild it with a new Plasma Display & Test, replacing any bad PCB components as needed for $82 & change, shiping both ways is on you.
    PM me for contact info @ Vishay.

Really! Do they also repair 192x64s? Last I called they told me they don't work on those.

#21 4 years ago

wow thats awesome! Poor mans dmd indeed. I need the LW3 file! I am doing a LW3 as we speak. Your dmd idea works on the huge dmd's too! SWEET!!!! I want my Maverick back now. Love the big dmd but the replacement cost scared me! 5 to 6 hun by the time you get it home in canada.

#22 4 years ago

Search the thread for "Lethal Weapon 3." I posted the color palette information.

#23 4 years ago

I was told Vishay no longer repairs DMD, any size. New production has also stopped.

#24 4 years ago

"Crash,
    Really! Do they also repair 192x64s? Last I called they told me they don't work on those. "

Sent in a standard DMD and large [192x64] DMD in February and got them both Repaired & back in time for TPF 2015 for a friends Games.

If they have the large Plasma Displays in stock its a week or 2 turn around (luckily they did for me otherwise it can be a 10 week or more wait until they get enough orders and/or repairs.
    Sorry I was slightly off on my prices, here's what I paid for the DMD Plasma Screen to be replaced:
    Standard DMD $86 & change
    Large [192x64] DMD $180 & change

PinballManiac40
    News to me
    I just put in a call to Vishay - I'll post back their comment about whether they're repairing them or not.

Kim

#25 4 years ago

I had a friend that tried to send off one of each DMD to Vishay. He was told they no longer repair them. That was around February this year. Could had been a different person my friend talked with at Vishay.

#26 4 years ago

If you want to put in a new display. I have 6 extras. Don't want to sell them all, but I have enough to sell a few.

$95/ea - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-6-128-x-32-dmds-95ea

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I had a friend that tried to send off one of each DMD to Vishay. He was told they no longer repair them. That was around February this year. Could had been a different person my friend talked with at Vishay.

I'll post the response from my Repair Contact @ Vishay tomorrow (or when I hear from her).

Awesome price Jean-Luc-Picard !!

Snap them up if you need them Guys & Gals !

#28 4 years ago

Since 2008 when I got into the hobby, pinball Life was already selling new DMDs for $114, if I remember correctly.

#29 4 years ago

Since 2008 when I got into the hobby, pinball Life was already selling new DMDs for $114, if I remember correctly.

Marco has them at $200 + Tax.
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/DMD32

Pinball life is $169.95 + Tax.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=164

I based the price on Marco's. So I figured $95 was a good deal. Since PinballLife is a little/bit cheaper. Let me know if the price I am asking is unfair and I will adjust it.

#30 4 years ago

Wow, I can't believe no one has brought up the HV section. Slow down - check the voltages out of the DMD controller, I'm betting your 62v line has gone open.

DMD's do NOT outgas like you described, they start in a corner and take forever to get really bad. I had one I left in a game once for 3 years until I sold it, and I don't recall the tip that started outgassing even spreading in that time.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I based the price on Marco's. So I figured $95 was a good deal. Since PinballLife is a little/bit cheaper. Let me know if the price I am asking is unfair and I will adjust it.

Nothing unfair about that price. I hope you are not selling it for less that what you paid for it, which seems to be 5+ years ago.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Wow, I can't believe no one has brought up the HV section. Slow down - check the voltages out of the DMD controller, I'm betting your 62v line has gone open.
    DMD's do NOT outgas like you described, they start in a corner and take forever to get really bad. I had one I left in a game once for 3 years until I sold it, and I don't recall the tip that started outgassing even spreading in that time.

What is there to bring up? OP already stated DMD was confirmed at fault in another machine.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Sorry, I left all that out. I first re-seated all the connectors. Still bad. Then I swapped in a different DMD controller board. Still nothing. Then I swapped in a different display. Works fine.

So new display worked with existing connectors. Old display did not work when put into a different machine.

#33 4 years ago

Outgassing usually happens from the top down, not the corners. Burn-in is more commonly found around corners.

#34 4 years ago

What is there to bring up? OP already stated DMD was confirmed at fault in another machine.

ugg I read that wrong, my bad.

Quoted from Crash:

Outgassing usually happens from the top down, not the corners. Burn-in is more commonly found around corners.

The bottom left corner is where is usually starts on almost every machine DMD I've had that has started.

#35 4 years ago

Lynn @ VISHAY called me back today -- GOOD NEWS !!
    They are still taking on DMD Plasma Repairs and they are still manufacturing Plasma DMD's for retail sales.

FYI they also make LED DMD's in multiple colors.

Should I start a new thread titled VISHAY / DALE DMD's Still Being Repaired ?

Current Repair Prices:

192 x 64 $180.92
    128 x 32 $86.53
    128 x 16 NLA - Balance of 128 x 16 parts & stock bought out by MAD Amusements

She is THE contact at VISHAY for all Plasma Repairs:
    Lynn Coulter - phone:

Email:
    Lynne.Coulter@vishay.com

Only caveat I will toss out there is they they ONLY Repair VISHAY, VISHAY/DALE or DALE Plasma Displays - if you have a Babcock, Cherry or anything else they won't Repair it.

#36 4 years ago

$180?? Best to just get a color DMD Extender kit at that point.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I don't think so. Seems quite reasonable to me. Especially if you want to keep the game as original.

#38 4 years ago

Nice to see pinsiders helping each other out.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Amazing offer - I will totally take you up on it. Thanks! Sending pm.

It's a nice offer, but it's dying.

Why bother?

You'll just need to replace it with a DMD with a future sometime very soon.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's a nice offer, but it's dying.
    Why bother?
    You'll just need to replace it with a DMD with a future sometime very soon.

Can't hurt to have a spare. Then next time one goes out, at least the game is playable while a new one is being ordered.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Some prefer the original. Also know someone who has two broken large dmd's with no burn in. One was nos and died after 5 seconds of use so the glass is perfect. 180 vs 500 is not bad at all.

#42 4 years ago

I am interested in buying the failed DMD. Is there any screen burn in? What brand is it?

Just pay for shipping and I'll send it to you. I didn't think there was burn in, but when I removed it, I did notice some. Can send a pic if that's important, but I'm not sure how well it will come out in a photo. It says Cherry 4642-B on the back.

#44 4 years ago

Yeah, it has some screen burn in on it. You can see some text that showed up often in the animations.
    Same similar things happen with CRT's.

I will still like to grab it from you. I'll PM my address in a while when I get another break at work.

#45 4 years ago

What image is the burn in from? Just curious.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Lynn @ VISHAY called me back today -- GOOD NEWS !!
    They are still taking on DMD Plasma Repairs and they are still manufacturing Plasma DMD's for retail sales.
    FYI they also make LED DMD's in multiple colors.
    Should I start a new thread titled VISHAY / DALE DMD's Still Being Repaired ?
    Current Repair Prices:
    192 x 64 $180.92
    128 x 32 $86.53
    128 x 16 NLA - Balance of 128 x 16 parts & stock bought out by MAD Amusements
    She is THE contact at VISHAY for all Plasma Repairs:
    Lynn Coulter - phone:
    Email:
    Lynne.Coulter@vishay.com
    Only caveat I will toss out there is they they ONLY Repair VISHAY, VISHAY/DALE or DALE Plasma Displays - if you have a Babcock, Cherry or anything else they won't Repair it.

Who says accurate information can't still be found on Pinside? Very cool of you to find out and post this.

Quoted from Crash:

What image is the burn in from? Just curious.

Looks like that display spent most of its life in a WCS.

EDIT: Oh, if anyone else is looking to pass on (not for free, I'll pay ya) used plasma DMDs after a Color DMD install or whatever, send me a PM. I'd like to buy a few

#47 4 years ago

I have Several w/ a couple Lines out , and 2 DMD's that work perfect .. I'll sell them All .. PM me

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 30.40
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 189.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 259.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside