Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Honch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

For those who have either owned one or put a lot of time on one, do you think it's too easy? I love the look and the theme and am trying to decide if it's a pin I should go after. My one hesitation is whether or not it's too easy. The one time I played it I had quite a long game and got to put my initials up, but that may have been a fluke.

For what's it's worth, I typically prefer more challenging pins.

#2 8 years ago

Yes, it is.

#3 8 years ago

MB is a very easy game to me. Have never owned one, but when I go to a friend's to play his, its almost a guarantee I'll reach Monsters of Rock and whatever the other wizard mode is. Cool theme, but gets old pretty fast. LOTR is much more challenging as far as goals are concerned with essentially the same layout.

#4 8 years ago

I play one locally on location and its set up mean

It is a game that if your in the groove your going to put up some big scores but the damn monsters of rock always elude me

but i love playing it and it is usually my first pick to play

#5 8 years ago

It depends how it's set up. The one I usually play kicks the ball straight between the flippers out of the scoop more often than not. The phantom flip is also rubbish and drains like crazy. The bouncier the rubbers are, the meaner it'll play from what I've seen.

#6 8 years ago

MB is the only pin on my wishlist. I'm also interested in the comments on this one. I play the MB at Pincrossings and it does seem to be on the easy side. But then again my go to machine at home is FT so I'm used to 35 sec. ball times

#7 8 years ago

Like any other game, it's all in the game set up.

The rule set for reaching the mini and main wizard modes is straightforward, with the additional goals/challenges being the 6 monster stack and Lyman's lament.

#8 8 years ago

It's very much like scared stiff, not difficult, but very fun and has a lot of character. I dont have a lot of time on MB, but I like playing it and like scared stiff, it does well in a collection with games with deep rules and long ball times, like LOTR and tspp, for example.

#9 8 years ago

Yes it is mine was gone after 2 weeks that being said it kicked my ass in a tourney

#10 8 years ago

not that easy, you have to settle it according to your level, slope and outlane. The pleasure in this pinball is to stack up monster and each part is different. it's always fun to do a monster bash the monster of rock harder. It too boot my ass.

#11 8 years ago

It's pretty damn shallow. You can force it to be hard, but once you've seen Monster Bash you've pretty much seen it all.

#12 8 years ago

Even when setup tough, I still find the game to be pretty simple. I am actually disappointed if I don't throw up around 200mil on a game. There are a lot of safe "misses" on that game, so it is fairly easy to recover from bad shots. That being said, the game has a ton of charm, and if you ever want to play it differently, Lymen's Lament is still not something I have been able to achieve.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

It's pretty damn shallow. You can force it to be hard, but once you've seen Monster Bash you've pretty much seen it all.

This pinball only tells you a story like Lord of the Rings.
this game is not going to bring depth but fun fun fun.

My high score 1 897 542 715

#14 8 years ago

Yes it is easy, just like most pinball machines.

#15 8 years ago

It can be set up to play hard, but it is a basic and rather uninteresting game from a rules perspective. Wiz modes dwarf all other scoring. Had a HUO example and sold it after a few years, don't really miss it. I was able to pull off the 666666 trick before selling it (on a colorDMD no less!) so I'm happy.

#16 8 years ago

Easier than some but again if you open up the outlanes difficulty level goes up. I challenge myself as others do by trying to get all the monster modes going at once and hit Franky last for Frankenstien multiball then monster bash multiball, that's hard to do. Awesome game that I never get tired of.

#17 8 years ago

The game is a slut. It drops it pants and shows the player all its goodies way too quickly. I felt like I had seen everything it had to offer after only a few games and I am just not that skilled.

#18 8 years ago

I think it depends, It is easy to beat but damn fun and when I can have a collection large enough that I don't mind a pin sitting there for 6 months or year without being touched I will buy MB again for now though its just doesn't have lastibility, how many times can you beat the wizard mode and listen to the same jokes before it becomes tedious.

#19 8 years ago

That being said, it's one of the best games of all time other than depth of rules.

I think it's Gomez's best game all told, with LOTR being a close second.

#20 8 years ago

No. Making it challenging is easy to do.

#21 8 years ago

Deep / Shallow whatever.... this is a fun machine and it gets played all the time in my collection. We love it, it all comes down to proper setup for best enjoyment.

#22 8 years ago

It's a tougher game if you take out the outlane posts and throw on lightning flippers...but still fairly easy even after doing that. There just isn't a lot of meat for code there. Going for the super stack is always fun. It's a decent game with great art, sound/music, and humor, but can get boring quicker than most games.

#23 8 years ago

First game i ever finished so yes

#24 8 years ago

Great feedback so far. Simple rules or deep rules are both fine by me. I just don't like boring. I try my best to only buy pins that won't get boring after a short period of time.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Great feedback so far. Simple rules or deep rules are both fine by me. I just don't like boring. I try my best to only buy pins that won't get boring after a short period of time.

I dont find it boring

#26 8 years ago

That's what makes it one of the best...easy for your friends who have no idea what they are doing.

#27 8 years ago

I'll cut to the chase. I got a trade offer for my ACDC Premium + some cash for a nice Monster Bash.

I really like ACDC and told myself I'd only trade it for/toward a Medeival. I hadn't really considered Monster Bash until this trade offer came along. I just don't see it much and don't have much time on it (almost none).

Is Monster Bash just as good/fun as Medieval?

#28 8 years ago

I don't find it boring at all - it's a great game. Just set up the difficulty to suit your skill.
I've played MBs setup too easy, and then it can get boring - this can pretty much happen with any game. In our league we have papa A players that have MB, and have had it for years. So no - it's only too easy if you set it up that way. It's a somewhat shallow game, so if you are only into deep rule sets, then it's not for you. It's one of the best games, most fun games ever IMO.

#29 8 years ago

Easy Pezy... I owned one for about 2 years. Beautiful to look at tho.

#30 8 years ago

I really like and enjoy MM a lot, and one day will own one. However to choose between the two which is close, I'd give the nod to MB slightly over MM partially because I learn towards horror themed pins anyway. Now with MMr's hitting the street you'll be able to grab an MM or MMr for a long time coming, however I don't foresee them remaking MB anytime soon if at all.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I don't foresee them remaking MB anytime soon if at all.

I wouldn't bet the bank on that. Sure it's on the short list.

#32 8 years ago

For those who have either owned one or put a lot of time on one, do you think it's too easy? I love the look and the theme and am trying to decide if it's a pin I should go after. My one hesitation is whether or not it's too easy. The one time I played it I had quite a long game and got to put my initials up, but that may have been a fluke.
For what's it's worth, I typically prefer more challenging pins.

Its dumb easy. The entire game was made for show and tell. Great theme, fun game, not for a good pinball player.

#33 8 years ago

I'll cut to the chase. I got a trade offer for my ACDC Premium + some cash for a nice Monster Bash.
I really like ACDC and told myself I'd only trade it for/toward a Medeival. I hadn't really considered Monster Bash until this trade offer came along. I just don't see it much and don't have much time on it (almost none).

I wouldn't trade ACDC for either of those titles.

Honestly, I was just thinking the other day (while playing Monster Bash..) that the ruleset of the modern Sterns just blows the older games away.

I had one game on a easy set up MB and got both wizard modes easily. Still a fun game to play, and it is cool, no question. But not in the same league rules wise as the new games.

rd

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

I wouldn't bet the bank on that. Sure it's on the short list.

I don't think they will get the license permissions on the cheap side, pushing it from a the short list of dreams onto the lists when we have an absorbent amount of funds to do so. They will really have to profit from non licensed themes first to accomplish this, not only for MB but any other copyrighted licensed theme as well hence why we may see, AFM, ToM, CV, ToTAN etc first before we see the likes of MB, TZ, TAF etc. However this is only my opinion and not a fact and a lot is yet to be seen, MMr will really give us a good insight on this as it's the first of the non licensed theme remake pins to hit the market and even that has hit it's little snags here and there.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I don't think they will get the license permissions on the cheap side, pushing it from a the short list of dreams onto the lists when we have an absorbent amount of funds to do so. They will really have to profit from non licensed themes first to accomplish this, not only for MB but any other copyrighted licensed theme as well hence why we may see, AFM, ToM, CV, ToTAN etc first before we see the likes of MB, TZ, TAF etc. However this is only my opinion and not a fact and a lot is yet to be seen, MMr will really give us a good insight on this as it's the first of the non licensed theme remake pins to hit the market and even that has hit it's little snags here and there.

You may be correct but I would think it's one of the few that are still at a price point where a remake might make sense. TAF, AFM and TZ are available at a much lower price now than a remake. BBB or Kingpin might make the most sense, just due to the price and rarity. Hard to guess, but Rick claims there are a few on their short list and it's hard to see many others that fit the financial model it takes to sell an 8k+ game.

#36 8 years ago

It may be more of a personal point of view, but I don't consider Monster Bash to be a Wizard Mode -> it's just a deeper multi-ball. Monsters of Rock could be thought of as a Wizard Mode I guess. I never think of getting Monsters of Rock as "I beat the game". I don't need a game to be "deep" to be fun or challenging. So while I like some Stern rule sets a lot, depth is NOT the key to a fun and challenging game. It seems like it is the key for many pinsiders, but not for me. For example, Fish Tales is simple, challenging and fun - but not deep. For many of the really great A players, it's better to have a game that is NOT a long player, with a deep ruleset. For example, we almost never play LOTR or TSPP (multiplayer) because it just takes too long! But MB setup hard and FT are fine.

To the OP - MB gets way more love than ACDC Premium at my house -> so I say go for it IMO.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

First game i ever finished so yes

How many times did you get the 666 stack?

#38 8 years ago

If you take away the art, theme, humor and charm from MB, what is left is pretty lacking. However, all of those are very important to me, so mine isn't going anywhere. That said, I would let it go before I would part with AC/DC premium.

#39 8 years ago

Open up the outlanes on a MB with a clearcoated playfieild it is wicked fast one mistake your down the drain not so easy anymore. Just depends how you want to set it up. A fast playfield makes a huge difference on this game.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How many times did you get the 666 stack?

Not that easy to do, gotten 5 then drained..

#41 8 years ago

No. Medieval has the flow, humor and rules. Bash just has flow and humor. Medieval is a much better pin play-wise.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No. Medieval has the flow, humor and rules. Bash just has flow and humor. Medieval is a much better pin play-wise.

AFM for the win!

#43 8 years ago

It's just plain fun to play. Yeah its not the deepest. You won't be on a quest for the 45 minute epic adventure to the super duper triple wizard mode. However. It looks plays and sounds cool. I have a bunch of pins and I'm in the minority I know but I find a acdc confusing. Get MB.

Mike

#44 8 years ago

It's easy but super fun. It's just a classy game! Like any game it can be set up harder.

#45 8 years ago

, do you think it's too easy?.

Sure it's a bit easy.... But so was my 2nd girlfriend.... And they are/were both fun as hell!

#46 8 years ago

Go visit Free Gold Watch in San Francisco. Put $5-10 in. They've got a ton of great playing great title games to drop some dollars into.

#47 8 years ago

I typically prefer more challenging pins.

then this isn't your game.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Sure it's a bit easy.... But so was my 2nd girlfriend.... And they are/were both fun as hell!

But neither were around long. Out the door!

rd

#49 8 years ago

pends how its set up physically and settings.
here is what i did to mine, to make sure i dont get M bash every time.

PHYSICAL:
back leg levelers all the way up.
remove out lane posts
make slingshot switches very sensitive.
tight tilt
red flipper rubber

SETTINGS:
no ball saver
no extra balls
2 tilt warning

do all of the above and i can guarantee you wont get m bash every game or even close.

#50 8 years ago

The ruleset is not too bad, but the difficulty is around average.
Getting the "Monsters of Rock" Wizard Mode Multiball is the real challenge.

As another stated, raise those leg levelers up as I high as they can go in the back, and front to the floor.
If you want an extra challenge, put a 2X4 under the the back legs for additional "center drain speed".

Another thing you can do is tweak the operator menu settings to make game feature modes less obtainable.

Some later SS pins gameplay were quite weak.
TOTAN is a good example with the final mode to easy to achieve, with only a small amount of practice.
Cactus Canyon is another one, even with updated ROMS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 75.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-monster-bash-too-easy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.