(Topic ID: 30429)

Is MM worth trading away/selling HUO IM and HUO LOTR to get?

By Max_Badazz

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Max_Badazz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Am I crazy to trade IM and LOTR for a MM?”

• Yes, those are awesome games....MM is not worth it 54 votes
    56%
  • No, you need to change up your lineup once in a while... you can always buy them again 37 votes
    39%
  • All of the games suck...get ACDC Premium 5 votes
    5%

(96 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

After playing MM on my tablet, I am thinking about picking one up. Since I don't keep $10k hanging around, I figured I could trade/sell off my HUO LOTR and IM for one (not a restored MM but a working one). Am I crazy to even think this or, sure..what the hell...give it a try. LOTR I hardly play...I love the game but almost never play it anymore. IM I go nuts for, but I'm slowing down with the plays and might be getting burned out on it. For those that have had or currently own MM, is it worth it? I could care less about value in a year or anything like that. Just really interested in how well it plays. I only played one about 10 years ago and it seemed a bit easy.

Any opinions are appreciated

#2 11 years ago

Based on all you've said, i say do it. I wouldn't trade my MM for those two titles even though i like both of them quite a bit.

#3 11 years ago

Not sure I would trade any two games I enjoy for one game I enjoy. There's definitely nothing THAT much better about MM than other games. Sure it's fun but I don't think it will inherently take you longer to get bored of than anything else.

#4 11 years ago

In the end it's up to you...of course.Just to make you feel less crazy.I once sold a beautiful LOTR,not HUO,but real nice so I could finance a Fathom restoration.Tht's right a top ten pin for a fully restored(Doug Huse) Fathom.So you know really just get/own what you're gonna enjoy the most.Scott

#5 11 years ago

I own all three and at the surface I would say no, but given you have LOTR fatigue and getting there with IM, I would say yes on the swap out. MM is an amazing pin, IMO.

#6 11 years ago

I would say since you have a good number of games, go for it. If you has less than 5, I would say no.

#7 11 years ago

I owned MM for 11 months and it is leaving this weekend (mainly for finacial reasons).

I will be honest that I miss it already. After a year of heavy playing mant titles and very critically evaluating what I like in a game as I build a small collection I feel it is obviously #1 on so many lists for a very good reason.

It sounds like you don't play LOTR very much so my suggestion would be to sell that and come up with the remainder of $$$ to buy a MM.

side note>>>

If DaveWTH has kept his for this long then you know it can keep anyone elses attention for a while

#8 11 years ago

I love all three of the pins mentioned here. I love MM most though.

#9 11 years ago

Fly to Vegas and hang out at the PHOF for three days and play the #$%@ out of the MM there. Enjoy a vacation.

After that you'll know if you really want to have one at home.

#10 11 years ago

chris here is my opinion - sell lotr and use the funds for acdc premium

you have sold some games before and now realize how hard they are to get

lotr is easy to get, im is not, mm is not

you will want im again and might find it too hard to get

if anything sell the tron le and buy mm, sell lotr and grab a regular tron

just another opinion

thanks ed

#11 11 years ago

One reason for the 2 for 1 trade that may or may not apply to you is that it would free up room. Once you reach capacity, its a good idea.

#12 11 years ago

I wouldn't, IMO.

#13 11 years ago

Dude, it all comes down to enjoyment factor. Will you enjoy a MM more than those others? If so then it's worth it. If you are considering financial (investment) factors, then you are playing the wrong game.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Dude, it all comes down to enjoyment factor. Will you enjoy a MM more than those others? If so then it's worth it. If you are considering financial (investment) factors, then you are playing the wrong game.

Great point.

It may be a good trade if a person with MM wants to do it, should be fairly equal. I would try to go play MM in person somewhere first for a bit

#15 11 years ago

I sold a POTC / RFM / XMEN LE to get my MM and as crazy as it sounds, I have no regrets.

(But that's also cuz I have a hefty lineup. If it was your only pins and you were going 3 down to 1 I would never recommend it)

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I sold a POTC / RFM / XMEN LE to get my MM and as crazy as it sounds, I have no regrets.
(But that's also cuz I have a hefty lineup. If it was your only pins and you were going 3 down to 1 I would never recommend it)

I've got a pretty solid lineup to surround it if I go that route. I want to pick up an Addams, which I have the $$ for. My kids are looking forward to that game as well. If a local TAF had not popped up for sale, I would dump LOTR and use the TAF cash for the MM (no brainer). its letting go a second machine to get it that has me concerned I am going to be regretting. I am keeping LOTR mostly because it was my first NIB....not really a good reason to sit on that much money and not play it often.

Ed is right about IM, though I could never part with my Tron LE. Maybe I should just dump LOTR and buy a ToM, TOTAN, or ACDC (games I have played enough now to know if I will like for a long time). I guess if the hardest choices in my life right now are what to dump and replace it with, its not so bad

#17 11 years ago

I sold my IM after a year,just didn't play it after a while.
LOTR LE I still have and will never leave,I know never say never
Right now I have 2 MM's,one being fully restored and the other to play while I wait.
I like MM that much.

If you don't play your LOTR that much,than I would trade/sell it and get your MM
Sounds like you are having the same issues I had with IM,trade/sell it also,you will probably have no regrets

#18 11 years ago

With the size of your collection I think you should go for it.....not like you couldn't trade that MM back for the same machines in a heart beat.

I was on the other end of the spectrum. LOTR was the only pin I had working for years......traded it for a HSII & WCS + cash, then ended up picking up JD mostly with the cash left over. So I ended up owning three working pins instead of one....very happy with how that worked out.

#19 11 years ago

Hard part for me would be to trade 2 very nice condition games for one that's probally going to have a few issues with it. $10K seems to be buying a routed MM now with insert and cab blems. If you could get a real nice one for that price then I'd say to go for it. I do agree with others that you may regret selling IM and may have a hard time getting another.

1 week later
#20 11 years ago

I Love my LOTR. I also have Twilight Zone (Though it needs some serious work), and Star Trek TNG. I really love depth from different game play modes. For this, nothing has come close to LOTR for me. I've owned the pin since it came out, and I still play it regularly. It's EXTREMELY tricky to actually beat the game. I have ZERO experience with MM... but I think it'd be crazy to trade 2 good games for one marginally better (In SOME peoples opinions??!!) game.

#21 11 years ago

No. Dont do it.

#22 11 years ago

I'd rather trade each of your two pins for two other pins, giving you potentially four interesting games instead of one overrated fan layout snoozer

#23 11 years ago

I tried to do a nice Williams IJ, clear coated RFM and a Shadow for a MM last winter. Also tried SM and HUO Tron, because I'm crazy like that. Got no bites. Only one bite from a bpa'er for a ''in parts but complete'' MM, and another guy talked him out of the trade.

Ed is right though. Some games you may miss, and they can be hard to aquire when you want them back. To me it depends just how badly you want a certain pin and what your wallet dictates.
Good luck in the search!

#24 11 years ago

I like my MM, but its not better than any 2 of my other games.

#25 11 years ago

Ultimately it's up to you. However I have had experience with all you mentioned. Lord of the Rings is still here, Iron Man is one I'd love to get and seems harder and harder to find. While I like Medieval madness, it is not superior to the other two, especially given the price which I think needs to be considered. I think there is a lot of hype involved with it. If you need to change the line up go for a AC/DC premium. It can be had new for almost half a routed Medieval Madness and in my humble opinion much more fun. This game shocked the hell out of me. So much so I wound up getting one. When it was announced I though it was going to be a snooze fest, al la Rolling Stones. I'm not even that big of a AC/DC fan but everything works so well with it I wouldn't be surprised if it works its way to number one. In any case good luck with what ever decision you make as long as your happy with it that's all the matters.

#26 11 years ago

It's up to you. I'd take IM over *any* other machine, so for me it would be a no way, but for you, who knows? MM is a great game too. I just don't think it's IM

#27 11 years ago

Easy for me if I was in your shoes. Keep HUO LOTR which is far superior than IM. Make up the difference in the rest. Based on your collection I think you just have to own one somday.

#28 11 years ago

A mate swapped 2 classic pins + 1 sold a pin to me for a MM and in the last 3 pinball meets very few have played it .
Most people played TRON & ACDC .
He had 8 pins now down to 5 for the sacrifice for MM ,

It was played in round 3 because we had a one ball comp on it .
Don't get me wrong it is great pin!

It is all about the collection you have or you want to have.?

#29 11 years ago

Keep the LOTR, get rid if the IM and get a MM. Best game ever.

#30 11 years ago

Strictly from a playability perspective, MM will become equally if not more boring than LOTR in time. And giving up IM also, the repetition might occur sooner.

As cool of a game as it is, the price is disproportionate to the fun. Not saying MM is bad (I like it a lot), just saying it ain't magically superior to play than the others.

I don't think it's a good trade, whether or not you factor in the cost and/or value. Repetitive castle shots can get really...repetitive.

I completely understand wanting something new and fresh, and I agree with Ed. ACDC is more modern and I believe offers more for less than MM.

The one thing unique to MM over LOTR, IM or ACDC is the sacrifice people will make to own one. If pride of ownership (vs playability) is part of the decision, MM trumps the others.

#31 11 years ago

I ended up trading lotr for a nib tf le deception delivered. I couldn't part with IM. Although I think lotr is a great game, I wasn't playing it very often (less than once a month)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-mm-worth-trading-awayselling-huo-im-and-huo-lotr-to-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.