Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by W25ARE
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4F9A8B2F-2B6B-4F6A-8DD0-617B37060014 (resized).jpeg
    E9EE32FE-B52E-4BA4-B7A5-45569988FBC1 (resized).jpeg

#1 9 months ago

Wondering if CGC is still making MM? Would like to buy one.

#2 9 months ago

From my understanding mmr is not on the line at the moment so if you need/want one immediately you’ll need to buy used. I can only assume since demand is up on the game they’ll make another run. Or I hope so, great game

#3 9 months ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

From my understanding mmr is not on the line at the moment so if you need/want one immediately you’ll need to buy used. I can only assume since demand is up on the game they’ll make another run. Or I hope so, great game

Bummer! Thanks!

#4 9 months ago

No they aren’t currently but you can buy one. There are some still NIB at distributors. Just have to call.

https://www.chicago-gaming.com/distributors/26

#5 9 months ago
    Quoted from Onwallst:

No they aren’t currently but you can buy one. There are some still NIB at distributors. Just have to call.

Here is a royal edition in stock

http://www.arcadesathome.com/products

#7 9 months ago

The majority of the pins are used, but maybe this one is nib.

#8 9 months ago
    Quoted from Onwallst:

Thanks for the tip!

#9 9 months ago

Are there any pros or cons getting the CGC version over an original MM?

#10 9 months ago

Many pros, and a few cons. The gist of it to fill you in...

Pros:
    Brand new machine
    Uses original Williams mechanical parts
    No playfield QA issues of other manufacturers, including clearcoat problems
    No original electronics including problems with those, such as GI diodes
    Has been tested for years for accuracy and reliability, including in tournaments
    Full support and warranty from CGC
    Beaglebone Black CPU board and some RJ-45 cables are off the shelf
    Uses less power

Cons:
    Limited documentation on new electronics
    Altered artwork to not include the Williams logos for licensing reasons
    Some mods designed for the orignal game not compatible

#11 9 months ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Are there any pros or cons getting the CGC version over an original MM?

Own both. The original is better playing period. Everyone says it when next to each other. The royal edition improvements in my mind offset that and make it the best!

#12 9 months ago
    Quoted from Onwallst:

Own both. The original is better playing period. Everyone says it when next to each other. The royal edition improvements in my mind offset that and make it the best! No sure on the above post as mmr playfeilds are good but they do have issues on colors and chipping which originals did not.

#13 9 months ago

What mods aren’t compatible?

Why does the original play better?

#14 9 months ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

It doesn’t.

#15 9 months ago

As discussed ad nauseum, the refake doesn't have the same feel as an original. It somehow feels cheapened and even as stated above, doesn't feel the same even to those who prefer the new features.

#16 9 months ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

As discussed ad nauseum, the refake doesn't have the same feel as an original. It somehow feels cheapened and even as stated above, doesn't feel the same even to those who prefer the new features.

Yeah, it’s missing 20 years of break in. Lol. Go new this has been debated to death.

#17 9 months ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

I’m not sure the original actually does play better; do a survey and the results will be far from conclusive. For example, I have compared the two side by side and came to the opposite conclusion! “Better” is subjective and nebulous; I’ll concede that there were indeed nuanced differences in the way the machines felt, it just so happens that I preferred CGC by a small margin.

Understand that regardless of how hotly debated, we aren’t talking about major differences - in fact, “casual” players and those without a lot of time on the originals might not even notice anything major.

It would be nearly impossible to control for all of the variables which influence the way a given machine subjectively feels/plays in a way that ensures that any perceived differences would be solely a function of the differences in the WMS and CGC architecture and manufacturing processes.

(I don’t know about mods as I generally steer clear of them; they are often more trouble than they are worth and this game absolutely doesn’t need any.)

#18 9 months ago

I've played the original on route, ss billiards, and own a remake. I couldn't tell you any feeling of difference. Even originals feel different between themselves. However I wouldn't even care if they did. I play for fun and don't get hyper sensitive to the "feel". The remake game physically feels fantastic, very solid. I like the newer tech and features. If you are a wpc elitist then you may want the original. If you "don't care" or just want to get it because you enjoy pinball, the remake will not disappoint, nor will the bad ass upgrades for it.

#19 9 months ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

I’m not sure the original actually does play better; do a survey and the results will be far from conclusive. For example, I have compared the two side by side and came to the opposite conclusion! “Better” is subjective and nebulous; I’ll concede that there were indeed nuanced differences in the way the machines felt, it just so happens that I preferred CGC by a small margin.
    Understand that regardless of how hotly debated, we aren’t talking about major differences - in fact, “casual” players and those without a lot of time on the originals might not even notice anything major.
    It would be nearly impossible to control for all of the variables which influence the way a given machine subjectively feels/plays in a way that ensures that any perceived differences would be solely a function of the differences in the WMS and CGC architecture and manufacturing processes.
    (I don’t know about mods as I generally steer clear of them; they are often more trouble than they are worth and this game absolutely doesn’t need any.)

I think the troll led eyes are pretty cool looking and I plan on doing them, but otherwise, yeah I can't think of any other must have mods?

#20 9 months ago

There are slight differences between machines regardless. I play one at home and one on location and they both have the same settings and pitch, but they play slightly different. Thats just the way it is. I dont believe there are any real differences between the old and new. I was not able to find the base model anywhere new, but there are probably still a few Royal Editions if you want to splurge. They come up for sale fairly regularly, so just be patient and set an alert for the one you want. Good luck and enjoy when you find one! Its a classic and always fun. Except when you aim poorly and smack a troll wrong to have to ball drain down the middle...

#21 9 months ago

Its even better if you get a custom made, hand painted keychain to dangle on your pin keys from JK Pinball! Ok, sorry for the shameless plug.

#22 9 months ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I think the troll led eyes are pretty cool looking and I plan on doing them, but otherwise, yeah I can't think of any other must have mods?

Troll eyes do look sweet, no doubt.

My trepidation with mods is the inherent risk in tinkering with the game’s electronics; newer game systems that use node architecture and digital power supplies seem to get finicky with the additional current draw and definitely don’t take kindly to even the briefest of accidental shorts. Of course not all mods are created equally and many are well thought-out on a technical basis, but there’s no escaping the fact that the sad saga in SO many repair threads here seems to begin with a mod being done to a perfectly good machine!

You are SO right about the elitism aspect; it’s sort of like the high school mentality where the favorite band that no one but a few “cool” people know about (because the only way to get their music is through Japanese bootlegs) suddenly becomes uncool because they released a hit video or single and now everyone likes them!

#23 9 months ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

I can't give you an exact list because I don't know what's out there, but things like electrical mods won't have the same circuits required to drive them. For example, an LED ColorDMD or various other things like LEDs that require specific playfield wiring and lamp sockets to work. Strictly cosmetic mods should be fine though.

#24 9 months ago

Remake plus- xl color display plus the new rgb lighting are both amazing

#25 9 months ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Agreed. Did the RGB, wide display, topper and changed out the armor to build my own Royal. Best upgrade/value I have done in a long time.

#26 9 months ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Quoted from Yelobird:

Agreed. Did the RGB, wide display, topper and changed out the armor to build my own Royal. Best upgrade/value I have done in a long time.

yeah, I think the rgb and display/sound are on my list...I didn't think the big display was all that great, but I played my friends afmr le and WOW that screen is huge!!!! plus it is display and sound upgrade.

#27 9 months ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Gotta disagree Brent. The remake plays awesome. It’s such a delight playing a newly minted MM.

That said, I might be selling mine soon, as I’m really interested in a couple other (expensive) games and MMr is my most valuable.

#28 9 months ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Well, if you get a new one and want to keep it looking mint there are tons of wear-prone areas (wear as in chipping clearcoat and eventually worse) on this pin you can buy Cliffy and Mantis protectors for. I bought and installed them all. Still no wear after 10k+ plays.

The merlin with glowing orb mod is cool, and the shaker motor as well.

#29 9 months ago

So, everyone saying "buy NIB vs original" ...when the electronics fail in CGC's game......what exactly is your plan on fixing it?

I ask, not to be an asshole, but out of genuine curiosity as I would consider going new but don't know anything about the modern-day electronics or if they're self-serviceable ....?

#30 9 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

when the electronics fail in CGC's game......what exactly is your plan on fixing it?

Throw it away and get a new board. Be sure that the playfield quality on the remake is to your standard. It wasn't to my standard that's why I got rid of the remake and bought an original. My story, my experience, my opinion.

#31 9 months ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Well, if you get a new one and want to keep it looking mint there are tons of wear-prone areas (wear as in chipping clearcoat and eventually worse) on this pin you can buy Cliffy and Mantis protectors for. I bought and installed them all. Still no wear after 10k+ plays.
    The merlin with glowing orb mod is cool, and the shaker motor as well.

Oh, I have cliffys on mine, I guess mod I mean the “toy” mods. However I probably need a few mantis and or the CF cliffy for Merlin

#32 9 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

So, everyone saying "buy NIB vs original" ...when the electronics fail in CGC's game......what exactly is your plan on fixing it?

I ask, not to be an asshole, but out of genuine curiosity as I would consider going new but don't know anything about the modern-day electronics or if they're self-serviceable ....?

Through hole components for drive transistors.

Other stuff is out there or people will figure how to fix them.

People have figured out how to keep boards from the early 1980's through 1999 going.

I wouldn't worry about it.

LTG : )

#33 9 months ago

MMR adjustable coil strength hi-rez color display. Adjustable led brightness
    Playfield easier to completely remove from the machine. All Williams mechs.
    Plays the same.
    Good enough for me

1 week later
    #34 9 months ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Gotta disagree Brent. The remake plays awesome. It’s such a delight playing a newly minted MM.
    That said, I might be selling mine soon, as I’m really interested in a couple other (expensive) games and MMr is my most valuable.

TheFamilyArcade Let me know if your interested in selling it, I may be interested in purchasing it.

7 months later
    #35 61 days ago

Any rumor CGC will make more.....Ever?

#36 61 days ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Any rumor CGC will make more.....Ever?

In short... NO! Many have called them and they explained that they have no immediate plans to do another MMR run.

#37 61 days ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

In short... NO! Many have called them and they explained that they have no immediate plans to do another MMR run.

So much money left on the table

#38 61 days ago

So many diffuser kits which will not be made.

#39 61 days ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

So many diffuser kits which will not be made.

I thought they corrected that in later runs, do later games still need diffuser kits?

#40 61 days ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I thought they corrected that in later runs, do later games still need diffuser kits?

What’s a diffuser kit for?

#41 61 days ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Diffuser da playfield lights.

LTG : )

#42 61 days ago

Day 4 delights

#43 61 days ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I think they will. In the near future actually

#44 61 days ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

You can get up to speed on it here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-nib-repair-kit?tq=Diffuser&tu=

E9EE32FE-B52E-4BA4-B7A5-45569988FBC1 (resized).jpeg
    #46 61 days ago
    Quoted from greeneye:

#47 61 days ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

They did. Later run games don't need them

#48 61 days ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

They did. Later run games don't need them

That’s what I thought

#49 61 days ago
    Quoted from greeneye:

So you callin CGC a Liar? You keep that up and we won't see any Remakes anytime soon mister....

#50 58 days ago

According to Ryan White’s presentation at Southern Fried Gaming Expo. We can expect more MMR CE & SE machines early 2023! I missed out on the last run, so am so happy to get another chance. Here’s the video:

4F9A8B2F-2B6B-4F6A-8DD0-617B37060014 (resized).jpeg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside