FBB00C66-18DD-40F3-AA21-F8103B180979 (resized).jpeg
Beavis (resized).jpeg
AE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpeg
252AEAF0-E708-4BD2-BB2C-BB1C83AF8765 (resized).png
20211130_180340.jpg
20211130_180318.jpg
frame_04_delay-0.1s.gif
62872CE6-6BED-4089-9F16-FE4101B6A8AC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimwe5t.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#287 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Cmon thechakapakuni - you obviously haven’t played the game with that silly rating!
So, despite thechakapakuni’s attempt to bring the rating down….Godzilla is the new king! I know you naysayers are going to say all new games go to #1 and then fall - but this one is special. I predict it will still be 1 or 2 when 2022 rolls around.
[quoted image]

Agreed, GZ is a very special modern game. The ancient classic generic IPs of long ago should be way down the list. Old timers, let go of all your nostalgia for the ancient Em/DMD era of the long ago past. Modern games blow those old relics away in every regard.

There is not much to the games of last century, that were only designed for throwing in a dime or quarter for 5-10 minutes of play every now and again. MM, MB, AFM and now CC, all have in common, huge nostalgia, decent layouts, super shallow code, generic IPs, worn out callouts, old DMD era electronic music, average artwork: which all leads to boring game play, after the 500th time shooting. People like to look at them, but true pinball players move them out of their collection pretty fast.

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Actually, the top rated MM version is MMR Royal. Hardly a relic, it came out recently, more recently than the game at #2 presently. New tech, new enhancements, improved sound we all know what the remakes provide it's not a secret that it is a more modern take on a 1997 game.

Lol, it’s still the exact same game of a quarter century ago, don’t be fooled. It’s like saying a car with a few upgraded parts from a quarter century ago drives/performs as well or better than a 2022 model. Preposterous!

#290 2 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

IMO I think it makes zero sense to have premium & LE they should just have premium it's essentially the same game. But top 100 is so pumped by owners. Sorry but JJP GNR is all bling & zero flow honestly not a great game I love the new roll over switches & GNR content not a fun one to flip it's just multi balls & LEDS.

Right on the money about GNR all LEDs and not fun to shoot after seeing all the cover songs, over and over again, it shoots like a slow moving old dog. Loaded with MB after MB and the GNR apologists say we just don’t understand why they use so many MBs. Oh yes we do, because there is nothing else in the machine mech wise to program or shoot for in the game. It’s basically empty, except for lots of lights, a pizza spinner and couple of ball locks, with $3 drums sticks for a habit trail. It has the lowest BOM of all JJPs 6 games.

EE4279ED-D1DC-4248-915B-24701DDADB56 (resized).jpegEE4279ED-D1DC-4248-915B-24701DDADB56 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#336 2 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

GZ is just the flavor of the month; nothing beats a magical classic like MM!!

You old timers might get over the old blasts from the long ago past. MM was fine in its day a quarter of a century ago, but almost everything coming out now blows it away from nearly any company. It is a very shallow game meant to load in a few quarters only and then go to another simpleton game like AFM, CC or MB. These games are only ranked, because of strong nostalgia and re-releases by CGC, so owners want this game to stay high. Let’s face it, the false 100 ranking system is completely meaningless. It’s an owners duel to keep their games up in the false 100 rankings. It was an experiment that hasn’t worked here on pinside. Any thinking person knows there is nothing behind the rankings. If games were ranked by sales, then that’d be legitimate, but since they aren’t, Pinside owner ranking system is pure fantasy.

#338 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

Does the majority of Pinsiders really believe that MM and MB are top five games? I think they're great games like we all do, but to rank them top ten seems to ignore and dismiss more recent titles which offer so much more. If the grading rubric truly is based on simplicity and addictiveness at the expense of long term lastability, code, modern art, modern sound packages, and game design principles which are based on the historical success of older games like bally williams titles from the 90s, then I guess most 90s games would be the obvious top ten choice.
Can't we all admit that modern releases are far more immersive, complex, and sometimes more unique (fewer fan layouts than 90s games) than older titles? I'm not sure it is reasonable to argue that 90s titles are better than modern games in that regard; they were produced to earn money on location by establishing quick, simple satisfaction in the player by rewarding simpler accomplishments. Those old titles did not need to be complex, deep, or lastable in a home collection. Modern games, however, are produced with a different approach, which emphasizes significantly more complexity, advanced sound and art, and far more appeal to home collectors for several reasons. There are more demographics to appeal to now, and that's resulted in far more consideration for lastability in a home collection. Modern games still kick butt on location, mostly based on appealing themes and plenty of quick rewards/hooks for the location player, but they far exceed older titles when it comes to lastability and advanced playfield designs which are favored by collectors.
The games have changed, mostly for the better. We should agree that there is far more to enjoy in modern games, strictly as to complexity and inclusive game experience when compared to 90s titles. older games feel dated by comparison, and very shallow. They're still great titles, don't get me wrong, but they are a sparse offering of pinball experience compared to newer releases. Evolution results in improvement, to our benefit. nobody is dogging older titles, but it seems obvious that they are/were seriously limited in what they offer due to market conditions and technology.
just my two cents

Right on the money. Introduce for the first time any of these no name, non licensed titles and sales today would be completely dismal. Non licensed games only worked in the long ago past, because locations were doing all the buying. Look no further than a modern day no name non licensed theme like DI. Sellers almost can’t give that title away, where other JJP titles still lose money, but not as much as DI. Exception is POTC, because only 1k were made in total. AP has the same problems with all their no name, non licensed themes. Can’t give them away and they also do not hold value. Only big name licensed themes sell well and hold value in today’s market, false 100 be damned.

#354 2 years ago

IMHO, our Mando LE is built as well as any B/W pin. I still remember my first impression unboxed. Wow, what a beautiful detailed pin and built like a tank.

Was speaking to an operator recently. He said modern Sterns and CGC all work almost flawlessly, while he has nothing but nonstop problems with B/W games and can’t figure out why people think they’re built like tanks?

#367 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Your point makes no sense as your comparing 20+ year old games versus new modern games....lets see how Sterns are operating in 20+ years....all my B/W games have been really reliable

Makes complete sense to those not trying to defend their old collections. New parts and modern day machines will hold up much better over time, far better than the old B/W machines of the last century. Ask any operator what a nightmare they were back in the long ago past to maintain and they’ll fill your head with nightmarish servicing stories of way back then. Those machines were new at that time, so it is an apples to apples comparison. Stern for one has a testing facility that simulates many years worth of use and they’ve found all the units with the new upgraded cabinets since 2019, prove to be in better shape than the old relics of more than a quarter century ago. At the prices we are paying they should be and modern tech is so much more advanced than the dark ages of the B/W DMD era.

#369 2 years ago

Lol, funny!

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Jimwe5t is on the Stern payroll. jimwe5t were you bullied as a kid? Are you ok?

I was my schools favorite bully and Uncle Gary pays me quite well. Lol

#374 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Does he even own a pinball machine?

Many and enjoy playing them.

#387 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Heavily downvoted and moderated, you might be on to something there.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

AE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpegAE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpeg
#407 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Feedback isn’t just for manufacturers and the top 100. It’s also for pinsiders.

Just because feedback or others opinion don’t align with your’s, doesn’t mean the feedback should be so insidious like it is so much of the time here on one of the meanest user sites on the net. There is better feedback: respect and kindness for others opinions, even if they don’t agree with your’s is the better way. All the up/down vote is childish and nonsensical and proves nothing. It becomes laughable, at the very least. If you don’t agree with another’s opinion, fine. Wouldn’t it be a far better way to express your opinion in a respectful manner to others? After all, we are not against each other here or shouldn’t be. We are discussing manufacturers and their product, which is open fair game in a forum. Now think long and hard about that feedback…

#408 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its very telling that u never respond to what games u own (if any)....Stern pays u to troll?

It’s easy to list, as I own every modern Stern, along with some other manufacturers. (Stop name calling, just because one expresses their opinion doesn’t make them a troll, because if that’s the case you’re a troll too.)

#418 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

My own mantra is simple: post online like we were talking face to face. I’m always remembering that before I hit the enter key. Others are more impulsive I guess.
I understand some folks have issues or agendas and as long as I don’t purposefully insult anyone ( without provocation), then it’s usually just internet jibber-jab to me.

Thanks, I agree with you and have the same mantra. What we say face to face should be the way we conduct ourselves here in the forum. But because owners of some machines become so evangelical, they attack others by downvoting, which I’ve had a great deal of by the JJP fanboys in particular. I own JJP games and like them, but have had so many issues like many others here have had too that this is a place to discuss them. For example, fanatics want to defend bad PFs instead of discussing our frustrations together.

#425 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Here’s my problem with you and feedback for you. And I’d say all this to your face. (Some of this will require research)
1) you are like the Sonos employee/evangelist Kumar whose job is essentially to take a dump on any audio entertainment product not named Sonos. As if a market with one competitor is a good idea.
2) your first and only topic you started read like a Gary stern market research competitive analysis survey.
3) you have this slimy weird way or tactic of feigning neutrality that looks disingenuous but is trying to be genuine. For example, in your GNR review you employ praise for other JJP games like DI to support your neutrality and thus credibility. Or in this post here citing “other” evangelicals negatively but saying you own the same games.
4) “wedging” narratives. When I read your posts I feel like the whole concept of “fanboys” and “us vs them” is started and perpetuated by people like you. Amd this is unforgivable. Back to this “market of one” as a good idea which I abhor. I take MASSIVE offense to the fanboy narrative because I am a fan of pinball.
5) Your GNR review that is also a forum post. This is a great example of dividing narratives. You basically poop over the game and plant this narrative idea out there that “concert in a box” is stupid. Insulting all the fans who are kicking ass in the game, hitting shots on the play field, hearing crowd noise build, and hearing random unheard callouts like “nice effing shot” from slash when you do something cool. And the under 3 review of the game can only be described as angry. Under 3 stars for GNR? Are you REALLY a pinball fan or just an us vs them person who can’t escape the political division that permeates our culture now?
I’ve said enough. There are other things that annoy but these are the main ones. I’m obviously passionate and anti jimwe5t

Thanks to adoring fans like you, this is a better place???

#436 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

I watched a video on MM and game play is just, shoot the castle.
The layout looks too simple if you can master basic flipper skills you got this game down pat.
Why is this game #1?

MM is #1 because of extreme manipulation and nostalgia that’s it. Its a good old relic of the long ago past. There is simply not much to it in reality. The castle shot with simple layout is so passé. Even Brian Eddy can’t believe it’s number one. It is manipulated to be there to keep Stern from being number one by the haters. In fact all 3 and soon to be 4 old timer relics from the last century are there to keep all pinball companies down and keep the old timer machines up there for their own satisfaction. Even George G. said he cannot figure out why MB is up there at all. Its good but not that good. Lol

Any good player can see all MM has to offer 3 or 4 times over in one setting. Boring after the 50th time and the very reason all most all owners move it out. GZ blows it away in every regard.

#448 2 years ago

Is GZ about to be dethroned as #1?

Only if the old timers keep giving it 1s and 10s to the ancient relic MM.

#462 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Yeah you guys are right, the last 5 sterns are the 5 greatest games ever. The relics of MM AFM TZ WH20 aren’t worth anything. It’s just us old timers holding on to the pinball past. We are just old farts who don’t get the encyclopedia deep rules. We also don’t get the wonder and joy of looking at our scores on our cell phone thru the insider connect. I’m sure the next stern will be the next greatest game of all time. I mean how could it not.

Lol (sarcasm), but loaded with real truth. After 20 to 30 years, items become classified as antiques. MM, AFM, MB and now CC are real world antiques, but can understand why old skutters love their relics from the long ago past. Short ball times and shallow code, with difficult shots, operators love, because we keep pumping in the dollars. As a home owner, these ancient DMD old tech shallow code relics don’t cut it and the reason why after the FOMO fades, awakened owners, even you downvoting old geezers sell them off. Lol

GZ should easily stay number 1 unless the old geezers continue to manipulate the “false 100”.

#464 2 years ago

That’s the wife’s new AFM and the rest are the fringe benefits of pin rotation for the bar
[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice collection and you’ve got them in such beautiful shape too! I’d take these over the remakes: CC original, cool! Your collection is the exception to the rule.

#466 2 years ago

From a hardware perspective…
There’s players out there that would rank a vpin over any of the real machines from any manufacturer.
You idiots buying individual games! I’ve got 120 games on my single vpin.

Sorry, vpins don’t hold a candle to the real mechanical pinball experience. Lights, mechs, sounds, callouts, music, LCD back box: vpin experience not even close. In fact light years apart. I’d take any manufacturers offering over a vpin loaded with 300 virtual pinball games.

2 weeks later
#485 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Then it leaks that JimWe5st is actually a morbidly obese 15-year-old living in the shed next to his grandmother's single-wide trailer. All the pinsiders nod in unison, thinking, aaaaaahhhh, now it all makes sense. Given the circumstances, the kid is pretty smart.

Okay, okay, you’re on to me now. Not 15, but 35 and live in a single wide trailer on the outskirts of LA. Its not what you’d call very new, but serves the purpose. Wall to wall throwback machines all over the place. Kind of tough getting those wide bodies through the front door….stopped eating bonbon’s and lazing on the couch, so trim again…had to, couldn’t fit through the front door either…

48D74D79-495F-4CB6-A871-C0254BE74DF1 (resized).jpeg48D74D79-495F-4CB6-A871-C0254BE74DF1 (resized).jpeg My old MM is not in much better condition than my home, but GZ LE is on the way. So things are beginning to look up!

#487 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Makes perfect sense....although I'm pretty certain you've never owned a pinball machine

Come on over PtownPin, you’re not that far and you could see my collection….I could give you the ol Jim We5t pinball pro shooting pointers. Around a 5 hour trip is all and I’ll put on some dinner for ya, before playing some MM and WOZ

#490 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

well one truth is I could use some pointers ... and I hated WOZ...tried to like it twice...

You probably didn’t like it, because you didn’t learn the Dorthy/Toto skill shot maneuvers. It’ll turn you around a third time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Sunbury, PA
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimwe5t.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-mm-about-to-be-dethroned-as-1?tu=jimwe5t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.