FBB00C66-18DD-40F3-AA21-F8103B180979 (resized).jpeg
Beavis (resized).jpeg
AE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpeg
252AEAF0-E708-4BD2-BB2C-BB1C83AF8765 (resized).png
20211130_180340.jpg
20211130_180318.jpg
frame_04_delay-0.1s.gif
62872CE6-6BED-4089-9F16-FE4101B6A8AC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider The_Pump_House.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#341 2 years ago

I’m n

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

To me MM is #1, not everyone want deep code and games lasting forever. I like the 90s games because they are shallower and much more approachable to a normally skilled player.
Pulling some numbers out of my ass: I'm sure 9 of 10 players prefer a fun easy game of MM rather than studying 30 pages of rules and playing a never ending game of lotr for 30 minutes.

AFM and MM are brilliant. They don’t rely on a license for a hook and have just the right balance of rules vs simplicity.

I don’t have any nostalgia for older games as I never played them back in the day.

#347 2 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Approachable, fun.. I agree. But MM in a home collection needs to be surrounded by other games with deeper code. STh in my house is extremely popular (probably the fav) and compares according to others as an AFM. BUT - STh premium, has telekinesis lock, a projector, insane UV, fantastic Cleland code, easily accessible ramp shots, great modes, assets, a ramp and freakin monster you get to pinhole. The game has depth for 3 ball players and easy to understand stepping it. Side by side, ill take STh over MM and AFM, and definitely MB.

I didn’t like STh at all. The projectors and UV are very cool but the giant billboard turned me off. I found “pinholing” the gorgon (while very exciting the first time) way to easy as I was able to repeat the shot several more times in the first couple of games I put on one.

#355 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Except the non-licensed remakes sell like hotcakes now. The highest rated version of MM is a remake with features the originals did not have.

The remakes are of a known licensed property though aren’t they?

Quoted from jimwe5t:

Was speaking to an operator recently. He said modern Sterns and CGC all work almost flawlessly, while he has nothing but nonstop problems with B/W games and can’t figure out why people think they’re built like tanks?

I've got 19 B/W's on the floor and do not have much in the way of problems with them. I would assume that the "built like tanks" mantra comes from the fact that they are all operating well @ 25 years old. Parts are now common, relatively cheap and repairs are easy, even to the boards.

99.9% of the time it's a jammed coin mech because people can't seem to comprehend trying to force more quarters in when the slot is jammed just wastes quarters.

#357 2 years ago

With modern sterns I would guess it would come from the wait?

#370 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Makes complete sense to those not trying to defend their old collections. New parts and modern day machines will hold up much better over time, far better than the old B/W machines of the last century. Ask any operator what a nightmare they were back in the long ago past to maintain and they’ll fill your head with nightmarish servicing stories of way back then. Those machines were new at that time, so it is an apples to apples comparison. Stern for one has a testing facility that simulates many years worth of use and they’ve found all the units with the new upgraded cabinets since 2019, prove to be in better shape than the old relics of more than a quarter century ago. At the prices we are paying they should be and modern tech is so much more advanced than the dark ages of the B/W DMD era.

Your argument boils down to hearsay (just ask an operator about 25 years go) and speculation (new pins will work fabulous in 25 years).

Could just ask an operator running 25 year old B/W's right now how much trouble they are...

Two years ago you were calling JJP pins maintenance nightmares...

#378 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Hmmmm.....really....what games?

From his ratings… 25 year old B/W’s obviously!

And they all must have played identical judging by the reviews.

#382 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

he just trolls threads pumping Stern games.

Heavily downvoted and moderated, you might be on to something there.

#426 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Thanks to adoring fans like you, this is a better place???

FBB00C66-18DD-40F3-AA21-F8103B180979 (resized).jpegFBB00C66-18DD-40F3-AA21-F8103B180979 (resized).jpeg
#433 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Change "castle" to another word and that sentence applies to lots of other games too. The difference with MM that makes it stand out is the humor, great theme integration and pure fun, something many other games lack.

MM being #1 is just MADNESS!

#446 2 years ago

That’s one of our pins I have not spent enough time on. I have got to get reinforced stand ups for ours (thanks for reminding me)

#459 2 years ago

I have no nostalgia for 90’s pins. I never played them. Grew up in a tiny town and there was no access to them. Didn’t play my first pin until a few years ago at CP Pinball and didn’t buy our first until about a year ago.

I could have picked any pins for the bar but ran hard in one direction because I believed the pins/manufacturer I chose most closely served my intended purposes. In addition, part/repair commonality was important.

So far they have been dead simple to maintain, robust and parts are cheap and widely available.

The wife made her first request for a home pin (and she’s played at CP as well) and her choice was an AFM.

#461 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Damned fine collection you’ve got there. Damned fine Sir. [quoted image]

That’s the wife’s new AFM and the rest are the fringe benefits of pin rotation for the bar

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#463 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Lol (sarcasm), but loaded with real truth. After 20 to 30 years, items become classified as antiques. MM, AFM, MB and now CC are real world antiques, but can understand why old skutters love their relics from the long ago past. Short ball times and shallow code, with difficult shots, operators love, because we keep pumping in the dollars. As a home owner, these ancient DMD old tech shallow code relics don’t cut it and the reason why after the FOMO fades, awakened owners, even you downvoting old geezers sell them off. Lol
GZ should easily stay number 1 unless the old geezers continue to manipulate the “false 100”.

I can see a 90’s DMD not cutting it in a limited collection home environment. If you are going to have only one or two pins at home a deeper more complex ruleset would be advantageous.

That said, that personal preference and environment is not what all people base their judgement on.

Personally I want to walk up to a pin, have short ball times, straightforward objectives and then move over to the next pin.

#465 2 years ago

From a hardware perspective…

There’s players out there that would rank a vpin over any of the real machines from any manufacturer.

You idiots buying individual games! I’ve got 120 games on my single vpin.

#467 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Sorry, vpins don’t hold a candle to the real mechanical pinball experience. Lights, mechs, sounds, callouts, music, LCD back box: vpin experience not even close. In fact light years apart. I’d take any manufacturers offering over a vpin loaded with 300 virtual pinball games.

As would I. But I guarantee that there are more than a few people out there who differ. Which goes to the point of people rating things differently based on their personal requirements.

#471 2 years ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Man! What a collection!

Thanks! So far customers really like the pins!

If a kid(s) have any input on where the family is going to go eat it's going to be us now.

1 week later
#502 2 years ago

Stole this from the Reddit.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
7 months later
#515 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I think at least the Elwin games are raising the bar on layouts. Stern is turning out awesome stuff. On the other hand I’ve been playing whitewater a lot lately. It doesn’t have nearly the depth or breadth of modern games but it does have serious magic.. especially if it’s running lightning flippers and whatever other difficult settings.

The ball smacking the glass on a clean insanity falls shot is just brilliant.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 64.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider The_Pump_House.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-mm-about-to-be-dethroned-as-1?tu=The_Pump_House and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.