FBB00C66-18DD-40F3-AA21-F8103B180979 (resized).jpeg
Beavis (resized).jpeg
AE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpeg
252AEAF0-E708-4BD2-BB2C-BB1C83AF8765 (resized).png
20211130_180340.jpg
20211130_180318.jpg
frame_04_delay-0.1s.gif
62872CE6-6BED-4089-9F16-FE4101B6A8AC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HEAD_boss_HOG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The gap is tighter than it’s ever been!
I initially rated MM over 5 years ago. Upon recently updating my rating, it fell a little from 9.0 to an 8.3 - still a superb game, but it just doesn’t compete with cabinet art, animations (dots vs lcd), sound quality and the deeper rulesets of the newer games.
It’s still one of the greatest of all time, just not the king any longer (at least for me). All of this competition has really raised the bar in the last few years - it’s a great time for pinball!
Just take this as a friendly reminder to check your older ratings periodically and may the best pin rule the the roost![quoted image][quoted image]

Dude, Jurassic is Elwins third place game IMO. It suffers from being a bit too difficult, but I'm not so good at pinball. the number ONE game should be Wonka or Iron Maiden. GNR LE might be fourth place behind TOTAN for the fun factor alone; forget about the code.

Sorry for dropping this Bomb, but JP is nowhere near as awesome as IMDN or AIQ, simple as that. I hear that Elwin's GODZILLA is going to be FAR better than all of those games, but let's wait and see

the Hog Man

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I’ll be the minority I guess and take JP over MM. MM felt to easy and I lost interest. It’s a great game but didn’t keep me coming back for more.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. MM is so much more fun. JP is super overly dramatic; pretending to be a suspense theme without any movie assets or IP. It should've been Stern's DINOSAUR PARK instead of Jurassic Park. Without the assets, that is what it feels like. Nothing like the movies and nothing integrated intto the game from any of the movies either. There is NO Movie Moments which are meaningful to the player; It really needs that to pull a person in.

Medieval however, has all of the humor and crazy zany crap that any "medieval" theme should have. Tons of awesome features and fun code. Sure, its shallow as heck, but the fun theme integration, callouts, and PF design all make for a fantastic pinball. IMHO, monster bash is even better than JP; it's got so much CHARACTER, and that matters when you play to have fun and enjoy each game for the theme it was designed to be.

Best,
Hog Man

4 months later
#335 2 years ago

Does the majority of Pinsiders really believe that MM and MB are top five games? I think they're great games like we all do, but to rank them top ten seems to ignore and dismiss more recent titles which offer so much more. If the grading rubric truly is based on simplicity and addictiveness at the expense of long term lastability, code, modern art, modern sound packages, and game design principles which are based on the historical success of older games like bally williams titles from the 90s, then I guess most 90s games would be the obvious top ten choice.

Can't we all admit that modern releases are far more immersive, complex, and sometimes more unique (fewer fan layouts than 90s games) than older titles? I'm not sure it is reasonable to argue that 90s titles are better than modern games in that regard; they were produced to earn money on location by establishing quick, simple satisfaction in the player by rewarding simpler accomplishments. Those old titles did not need to be complex, deep, or lastable in a home collection. Modern games, however, are produced with a different approach, which emphasizes significantly more complexity, advanced sound and art, and far more appeal to home collectors for several reasons. There are more demographics to appeal to now, and that's resulted in far more consideration for lastability in a home collection. Modern games still kick butt on location, mostly based on appealing themes and plenty of quick rewards/hooks for the location player, but they far exceed older titles when it comes to lastability and advanced playfield designs which are favored by collectors.

The games have changed, mostly for the better. We should agree that there is far more to enjoy in modern games, strictly as to complexity and inclusive game experience when compared to 90s titles. older games feel dated by comparison, and very shallow. They're still great titles, don't get me wrong, but they are a sparse offering of pinball experience compared to newer releases. Evolution results in improvement, to our benefit. nobody is dogging older titles, but it seems obvious that they are/were seriously limited in what they offer due to market conditions and technology.

just my two cents

#361 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

To me MM is #1, not everyone want deep code and games lasting forever. I like the 90s games because they are shallower and much more approachable to a normally skilled player.
Pulling some numbers out of my ass: I'm sure 9 of 10 players prefer a fun easy game of MM rather than studying 30 pages of rules and playing a never ending game of lotr for 30 minutes.

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I just didn't realize that most pinsiders and voters on the top games really honestly believed that newer games were not better than the older ones with basic fan layouts. Shallow rule set games with fan layouts are awesome, especially for a quick ten minute session before work. Looking at the big picture, it seems that more often than not people do prefer simpler games, but I have a hard time not playing Iron Maiden Premium and believing whole heartedly that it is a far better game than MM or MB, and other top ranked games. the sound, lights, and art, not to mention playfield variety of shots really resonates.

Perhaps it is the simple rules and fan layouts which most voters prefer, so MM, AFM, and MB are so widely regarded as top 10. Fan layouts are a bit too repetitive for me, but I still enjoy them. I just love the variety of shot depths, angles, and interesting ball paths which are created by a NON fan layout, so I vote accordingly.

#365 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Was speaking to an operator recently. He said modern Sterns and CGC all work almost flawlessly, while he has nothing but nonstop problems with B/W games and can’t figure out why people think they’re built like tanks?

I am with you on this. Bally williams games are super fun, but they're the ones having problems in my lineup most often. Well, I guess we need to account for the fact that they're 25-30 years old; they're bound to break eventually. maybe its an unfair comparison at the start.

I love the JJP build quality, and my IMDN premium is literally bulletproof (not literally LOL). never had any issues with them beyond a loose screw, and a bad factory magnet on wonka. perhaps I'm a lucky one on both games being trouble free, but i've seen all sorts of games on location and they're usually ready to rock, and never fail, including B/W, stern, CGC, AP, JJP, so operators are stoked.

someday I'll own an AP pin, then i'll get to see how quality they are. I've heard nothing but good things about their build quality.

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I like simpler ruleset fan layouts like MM/AFM and have rated them highly, but I prefer the newer fan layouts with deeper rulesets/video clips - SW, StrTh, EHoH (and AIQ is a hybrid fan I guess) - so my ratings for those are slightly higher.

I don't blame you friend. they're better than the older releases of the same layout!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sunbury, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HEAD_boss_HOG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-mm-about-to-be-dethroned-as-1?tu=HEAD_boss_HOG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.