FBB00C66-18DD-40F3-AA21-F8103B180979 (resized).jpeg
Beavis (resized).jpeg
AE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpeg
252AEAF0-E708-4BD2-BB2C-BB1C83AF8765 (resized).png
20211130_180340.jpg
20211130_180318.jpg
frame_04_delay-0.1s.gif
62872CE6-6BED-4089-9F16-FE4101B6A8AC (resized).jpeg
There are 519 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
#1 2 years ago

The gap is tighter than it’s ever been!

I initially rated MM over 5 years ago. Upon recently updating my rating, it fell a little from 9.0 to an 8.3 - still a superb game, but it just doesn’t compete with cabinet art, animations (dots vs lcd), sound quality and the deeper rulesets of the newer games.

It’s still one of the greatest of all time, just not the king any longer (at least for me). All of this competition has really raised the bar in the last few years - it’s a great time for pinball!

Just take this as a friendly reminder to check your older ratings periodically and may the best pin rule the the roost!

2B17C753-9828-4EE1-8EBB-5C4B802E80B9 (resized).jpeg2B17C753-9828-4EE1-8EBB-5C4B802E80B9 (resized).jpeg4C275947-8BBF-46F7-AFCB-74406EB030B7 (resized).png4C275947-8BBF-46F7-AFCB-74406EB030B7 (resized).png
#2 2 years ago

#1 to who?

#3 2 years ago

I own both and while JP is fantastic, it absolutely does not dethrone MM!!

#4 2 years ago

I guess I need to go rate JP then. I really don't like the game, at all.

#5 2 years ago

It’s been #1 on the Pinside top 100 for as long as I can remember. Maybe as long as Pinside has been around.

46502AC4-FE68-47F2-86EC-50EE8F3FFA89 (resized).png46502AC4-FE68-47F2-86EC-50EE8F3FFA89 (resized).png

#6 2 years ago

Yeah I guess I can see JP finally knocking MM off on here. Both are great games (although nowhere near 1,2 for me) and not even the JJP army can shit-post JP.

Edit to add that I hadn’t noticed DP moving to 3 (!) and I’m willing to die on that hill. That’s a top 5 game IMO.

#7 2 years ago

JP shouldn’t even be top 10 I’ll try to correct that

#8 2 years ago

MM is 1 always. JP is lame jam fest with no clear goal imo. GNR LE should be up there.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

JP shouldn’t even be top 10 I’ll try to correct that

I’m not advocating for JP to be #1 - personally I rate DP and EHoH higher than JP.

JP just happens to be in the #2 spot right now.

I’d actually love to see DP as #1 - that would be hilarious on several different levels.

#10 2 years ago

Hardbody still stuck posing at #356.
Crappy cabinet aside, what a travesty!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Agreed! It honestly plays a bit like a poorman's Black Knight; with the inlane save-flippers standing in for a magna-save. Lot's of fun working your way from station to station, working out all your muscles groups! Completely silly and bonkers. Only thing I don't like is that heavy-breathing before each ball.

#12 2 years ago

JP isn’t even the best stern. Lotr is still king of the sterns 18 years and still on top. The top spot belongs to MM. I think TZ and AFM are top 5 games and long battle tested.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Another believer!!! Hardbody is criminally underrated (and it’s original version BMX is too) Hardbody is actually a shitload of fun. Add too that flexsave is waaaay more fun than Magnasave.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

It’s been #1 on the Pinside top 100 for as long as I can remember.

Oh I remember plenty of other #1s

#15 2 years ago

I have no pony in this race, and as much as I like JP, it’s not MM. Enough said

#16 2 years ago

Good grief...if you like JP, that's fine. But if you want to compare JP to MM, you are going to come up *WAY* short, *especially* in terms of artwork, for absolute freaking certain.

#17 2 years ago

I’ll be the minority I guess and take JP over MM. MM felt to easy and I lost interest. It’s a great game but didn’t keep me coming back for more.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The gap is tighter than it’s ever been!
I initially rated MM over 5 years ago. Upon recently updating my rating, it fell a little from 9.0 to an 8.3 - still a superb game, but it just doesn’t compete with cabinet art, animations (dots vs lcd), sound quality and the deeper rulesets of the newer games.
It’s still one of the greatest of all time, just not the king any longer (at least for me). All of this competition has really raised the bar in the last few years - it’s a great time for pinball!
Just take this as a friendly reminder to check your older ratings periodically and may the best pin rule the the roost![quoted image][quoted image]

Dude, Jurassic is Elwins third place game IMO. It suffers from being a bit too difficult, but I'm not so good at pinball. the number ONE game should be Wonka or Iron Maiden. GNR LE might be fourth place behind TOTAN for the fun factor alone; forget about the code.

Sorry for dropping this Bomb, but JP is nowhere near as awesome as IMDN or AIQ, simple as that. I hear that Elwin's GODZILLA is going to be FAR better than all of those games, but let's wait and see

the Hog Man

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I’ll be the minority I guess and take JP over MM. MM felt to easy and I lost interest. It’s a great game but didn’t keep me coming back for more.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. MM is so much more fun. JP is super overly dramatic; pretending to be a suspense theme without any movie assets or IP. It should've been Stern's DINOSAUR PARK instead of Jurassic Park. Without the assets, that is what it feels like. Nothing like the movies and nothing integrated intto the game from any of the movies either. There is NO Movie Moments which are meaningful to the player; It really needs that to pull a person in.

Medieval however, has all of the humor and crazy zany crap that any "medieval" theme should have. Tons of awesome features and fun code. Sure, its shallow as heck, but the fun theme integration, callouts, and PF design all make for a fantastic pinball. IMHO, monster bash is even better than JP; it's got so much CHARACTER, and that matters when you play to have fun and enjoy each game for the theme it was designed to be.

Best,
Hog Man

#20 2 years ago

I don’t care that much about the ratings but yo me they should at least be timeless and independent of what came out this year. Going back and rerating anything doesn’t make sense IMO.

I’ve played so much MM I don’t really want to own one, and am a bit tired of it but it’s still deserving of a #1 spot despite my wanting to play and own other games. Everything was just done right on it. Most other pins I can find some things to nitpick about.

#21 2 years ago

JP is nowhere near MM in fun factor to me.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

JP is nowhere near MM in fun factor to me.

Preach.

#23 2 years ago

I think ts was right on the one aspect of great times for pinball. Lots of great games, both old and new. Just wishing for reasonable prices on games and spare parts, wouldn´t mind better quality either.

I just recently bought a new worg head for hobbit. It came in about a 100$, which is outrageous. I´ve seen more detailed and advanced plastics in happy meals.

#24 2 years ago

A newb thread started by a non-newb.

Man, what's going on around here? Must be something in the water...

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I just recently bought a new worg head for hobbit. It came in about a 100$, which is outrageous. I´ve seen more detailed and advanced plastics in happy meals.

I get your point and agree that spare part prices in general are really high.

Your example is badly chosen though. You really can't compare the price on a worg head that might sell ~500 units in total with a McDonalds toy that is mass produced in many millions.

#26 2 years ago

MMRoyal deserves its No1 spot. It is an all time classic. Stern s Jurassic Park has only been out for a few years. Who knows in 20 years time it may be in the No1 spot.

We have both games. I prefer MMr and my wife prefers JP. That is what the ratings are for, so you can have your say.

#27 2 years ago

I tried to play JP, but only had to realize it has an empty playfield ala Stern's minimalistic approach, where less is less
The only exception was the dinosaur in the back, which was semicool.
Should not be a TOP-10 game IMO. Have to go and give ratings to that game.

EDIT: Actually, what made the game cooler is the user-led project that created new video/audiofiles for the game. JJP could learn something from it...

#28 2 years ago

I think you have to keep in mind the fact that the "Top 100" list rates Deadpool above Twilight Zone. In other words, it's heavily biased towards newer games.
Even with that bias, MM still is at the top even though it was designed in 1997.
I'd like to see the same list of games rated 20 years from now. We've had 24 years to play MM and 28 years to play TZ and many of us are still not tired of them yet. Will the new games endure in the same way, both playwise and mechanically/electronically? Only time will tell!

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I tried to play JP, but only had to realize it has an empty playfield ala Stern's minimalistic approach, where less is less
The only exception was the dinosaur in the back, which was semicool.
Should not be a TOP-10 game IMO. Have to go and give ratings to that game.
EDIT: Actually, what made the game cooler is the user-led project that created new video/audiofiles for the game. JJP could learn something from it...

Whaaaaa..... JP is empty?

#30 2 years ago

AFM is better than MM

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

AFM is better than MM

+1

#32 2 years ago

JP is hard if you don’t play often. Serious theme too. MM is not as hard and has a lot of humor in it. TRex Mech always gave me issues. I traded my MMRL for JP and my JP for a MMR Royal. Don’t get me wrong the TRex mech is amazing, but there is something about blowing up castles. I don’t think I’ll buy a serious theme again. Bring on Big Trouble!

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

I think you have to keep in mind the fact that the "Top 100" list rates Deadpool above Twilight Zone.

Because Deadpool is more fun than Twilight Zone!? That’s my dark horse in the race all along. I’m hoping this thread will generate some new reviews for MM and JP that knock them down a couple tenths of a point and then BOOOOOOM button baby! DP is #1 where it belongs!

And where the crap is Levi? His absence forces me to bring up a cargument in order to lure him in. Here we go…

Quoted from Mbecker:

Going back and rerating anything doesn’t make sense IMO.

This argument makes no sense to me. In the 80’s I got to drive an ‘84 Vette for about 6 months. I was 16, I would have rated it 10 out of 10. Fast forward 35 years to the sweet C8 Vette which is a million times better than that ‘84 Vette. Should I still rate that old ‘84 as a 10? It still has a special place in my memories, but no, it’s not realistically a 10.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

A newb thread started by a non-newb.

Just having some fun. It was getting boring in here after we lost the SW Comic Prem FS thread.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

AFM is better than MM

EHoH is better than AFM

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

EHoH is better than AFM

15CC1F4D-4C17-4CE6-A1B8-511DD44E3CD3 (resized).jpeg15CC1F4D-4C17-4CE6-A1B8-511DD44E3CD3 (resized).jpeg

#36 2 years ago

I love how EMs have to have a separate top 100 kind of like Harleys have their own drag races. When you can’t compete overall, start your own exclusionary competition!

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

EHoH is better than AFM

Not even close.

It´s all a matter of taste though. I prefer maiden to jp.
MM is a great game, alltough i consider it leaning way left.¨The best thing with MM is almost everybody thinks it´s fun and it´s straight forward enough to get the basic hang of first game, wich is a great introduktion.

If you´re just getting one game and want new people visiting having a chance to get charmed by pinball, it´s hard to think of a better game then MM.

#38 2 years ago

I hope so. It could be the most overrated pinball game in history.

Yeah I said it. The old guard will disagree but it’s time for it to be replaced. It had one hell of a run!

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

It´s all a matter of taste though. I prefer maiden to jp.

One year in college there was a gameroom attached to my dorm with MM @ 5 plays for $2. It was obvious that game was something special compared to most other things I'd played growing up. I basically lived in that gameroom that year, and though I've loved other games since then, nothing quite hit everything so perfectly for me until Maiden showed up.

I routinely find myself saying that Maiden is the best contender to MM in the 20 years since. Like MM, the basic play and shots are intuitive. It's a blast to play without knowing any of the rules, but if you put the time in gets far deeper than MM ever did. Despite the depth, you can eventually learn almost all of it just by playing it a bunch following the callouts and other cues without reading a rulesheet or digging up a flowchart.

The big pain point compared to MM is the theme has less general appeal. Like any other band machine, it's appeal is increased/decreased based on your awareness and opinion of the band itself.

As for JP, it's def one I'd like to own, but only after I snag a maiden.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

MMRoyal deserves its No1 spot.

You got to be kidding me

#41 2 years ago

First off, to each his own. However, I’ve never been able to get into JP and I’ve tried. Maybe it’s the theme or how the theme was treated, but it just doesn’t pull me in. I actually think it’s the third best Elwin game behind AIQ and IMDN.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Edit to add that I hadn’t noticed DP moving to 3 (!)

What the actual F*ck?!?!?!?!

Deadpool at No.3 OF ALL TIME!?!?!?!?!

This hobby has finally jumped the shark.

Are people rating games before they know what makes a good game?
B04D9E8F-E1D0-48BE-8DA7-3331511282B7.gifB04D9E8F-E1D0-48BE-8DA7-3331511282B7.gif

#43 2 years ago

Pinball is just so objective, what's a favourite of one, inevitably will be detested by another... but those refusing to place JP in the top 10 are kidding themselves. Personally I have JP at #1, and place AFM at #2. MM is incredible, but doesn't make my top #5. You can disagree... but you'd be wrong

#44 2 years ago

Jp isn't even a top 10 Stern game imo besides AIQ I can't think of any Stern game that has rules that are a hot shit mess like jp.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Jp isn't even a top 10 Stern game imo besides AIQ I can't think of any Stern game that has rules that are a hot shit mess like jp.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

First off, to each his own. However, I’ve never been able to get into JP and I’ve tried. Maybe it’s the theme or how the theme was treated, but it just doesn’t pull me in.

There’s a mod that allows you to add the original movie clips back into JP. I wish everyone was able to try out that version as it’s incredible. TWD was a similar situation - after someone figured out how to add the real actor callouts it completely transformed the game.

#47 2 years ago

If you had a room with 5 pins, one MM and the others brand new pins, most would spend more time on the newer games. I would. Doesn't mean one is better than the other but just means new games are a lot of fun.

#48 2 years ago

I can’t believe Acdc Pre has slipped to 18.

Big Lebowski #15 !!?!?!?!!?

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I don’t agree but I like your take anyway.

I didn’t like JP until I got deep into the rules.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

If you had a room with 5 pins, one MM and the others brand new pins, most would spend more time on the newer games. I would. Doesn't mean one is better than the other but just means new games are a lot of fun.

I agree, sold my MM because i never played it. But still it's one of the best games made.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

There are 519 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-mm-about-to-be-dethroned-as-1?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.