FBB00C66-18DD-40F3-AA21-F8103B180979 (resized).jpeg
Beavis (resized).jpeg
AE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpeg
252AEAF0-E708-4BD2-BB2C-BB1C83AF8765 (resized).png
20211130_180340.jpg
20211130_180318.jpg
frame_04_delay-0.1s.gif
62872CE6-6BED-4089-9F16-FE4101B6A8AC (resized).jpeg
There are 519 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
#351 2 years ago
Quoted from DKong:

Where do you vote ?

Pinside ratings. As you play games, you can rate each one.

#352 2 years ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

I got into pinball in July having played on an iOS app. I’m 41. I rate MM as the best pin of all time with AFM in my top five.
I have two young kids and we own FT and LoTR. I prefer FT. Deep code is definitely overrated. FT with LEDs has just as good lighting as a modern Stern.
Personally, I think the vast majority of modern Sterns are overrated by the old guard who are jaded by having played the Bally/Williams-era games to death. There’s a lot of “oooh, shiny” over some pretty mediocre pins.
That said, I think GZ is excellent and, in general, Keith Elwin is designing games that compare in quality to the vintage 90s pins.

No BW has or will ever have as good a light show as a modern Stern. Have you played anything with dual color GI that integrates into code? Star Wars, TMNT, etc that’s just the start of the difference.

Also, skill level effects enjoyment. You’re new so don’t take this the wrong way but deep code isn’t overrated if you can complete it. Fish Tales is one of the most boring games ever made.

#353 2 years ago

IMHO, our Mando LE is built as well as any B/W pin. I still remember my first impression unboxed. Wow, what a beautiful detailed pin and built like a tank. Second impression. Why so many deep side decal chips and scrapes? Stern needs to ship machines plastic wrapped in the box.

#354 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

IMHO, our Mando LE is built as well as any B/W pin. I still remember my first impression unboxed. Wow, what a beautiful detailed pin and built like a tank.

Was speaking to an operator recently. He said modern Sterns and CGC all work almost flawlessly, while he has nothing but nonstop problems with B/W games and can’t figure out why people think they’re built like tanks?

#355 2 years ago

Except the non-licensed remakes sell like hotcakes now. The highest rated version of MM is a remake with features the originals did not have.

The remakes are of a known licensed property though aren’t they?

Quoted from jimwe5t:

Was speaking to an operator recently. He said modern Sterns and CGC all work almost flawlessly, while he has nothing but nonstop problems with B/W games and can’t figure out why people think they’re built like tanks?

I've got 19 B/W's on the floor and do not have much in the way of problems with them. I would assume that the "built like tanks" mantra comes from the fact that they are all operating well @ 25 years old. Parts are now common, relatively cheap and repairs are easy, even to the boards.

99.9% of the time it's a jammed coin mech because people can't seem to comprehend trying to force more quarters in when the slot is jammed just wastes quarters.

#356 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I would assume that the "built like tanks" mantra comes from...

The weight.

#357 2 years ago

With modern sterns I would guess it would come from the wait?

#358 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

To be fair, all B/W pins are at least 20 years old.

#359 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Are you implying that it’s an apples to apples comparison between a 1 or 2 year old game with modern chips/CPU and a 25+ year old game still running logic chips and incandescent bulbs?

#360 2 years ago

With modern sterns I would guess it would come from

I wouldn't know, I've never heard someone rally for built like tank sterns here
Edit: Spike versions that is

#361 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

To me MM is #1, not everyone want deep code and games lasting forever. I like the 90s games because they are shallower and much more approachable to a normally skilled player.
Pulling some numbers out of my ass: I'm sure 9 of 10 players prefer a fun easy game of MM rather than studying 30 pages of rules and playing a never ending game of lotr for 30 minutes.

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I just didn't realize that most pinsiders and voters on the top games really honestly believed that newer games were not better than the older ones with basic fan layouts. Shallow rule set games with fan layouts are awesome, especially for a quick ten minute session before work. Looking at the big picture, it seems that more often than not people do prefer simpler games, but I have a hard time not playing Iron Maiden Premium and believing whole heartedly that it is a far better game than MM or MB, and other top ranked games. the sound, lights, and art, not to mention playfield variety of shots really resonates.

Perhaps it is the simple rules and fan layouts which most voters prefer, so MM, AFM, and MB are so widely regarded as top 10. Fan layouts are a bit too repetitive for me, but I still enjoy them. I just love the variety of shot depths, angles, and interesting ball paths which are created by a NON fan layout, so I vote accordingly.

#362 2 years ago

I unboxed my GZ Premium last week and was surprised how light weight it is. There's almost nothing in the cabinet. It really doesn’t take much effort to nudge them, either. By contrast, my White Water and Fish Tales feel much heavier and stout.

I have a feeling if the new Sterns were moved around on a route as much as most of the B/W pins, you’d see more cabinet problems. Actually, didn't Stern have splitting cabinet problems not long ago?

#363 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I just love the variety of shot depths, angles, and interesting ball paths which are created by a NON fan layout, so I vote accordingly.

I like simpler ruleset fan layouts like MM/AFM and have rated them highly, but I prefer the newer fan layouts with deeper rulesets/video clips - SW, StrTh, EHoH (and AIQ is a hybrid fan I guess) - so my ratings for those are slightly higher.

#364 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I like simpler ruleset fan layouts like MM/AFM and have rated them highly, but I prefer the newer fan layouts with deeper rulesets/video clips - SW, StrTh, EHoH (and AIQ is a hybrid fan I guess) - so my ratings for those are slightly higher.

MM, AFM, etc have a great balance of fast play, comedy and immersive callouts and music. They HAD to. It was the only way to earn quarters back then. That’s the difference. They were built for quick games, lots of continues, and move on.

In a home environment they are great fun with Colordmd, sound boards with amazing music and callouts which make them feel new again to us OG guys.

I played GZ, it was mediocre only due to flipper failure and waay too much arcade noise. Home environment I may rate it higher if I get to play it.

#365 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

I am with you on this. Bally williams games are super fun, but they're the ones having problems in my lineup most often. Well, I guess we need to account for the fact that they're 25-30 years old; they're bound to break eventually. maybe its an unfair comparison at the start.

I love the JJP build quality, and my IMDN premium is literally bulletproof (not literally LOL). never had any issues with them beyond a loose screw, and a bad factory magnet on wonka. perhaps I'm a lucky one on both games being trouble free, but i've seen all sorts of games on location and they're usually ready to rock, and never fail, including B/W, stern, CGC, AP, JJP, so operators are stoked.

someday I'll own an AP pin, then i'll get to see how quality they are. I've heard nothing but good things about their build quality.

#366 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Your point makes no sense as your comparing 20+ year old games versus new modern games....lets see how Sterns are operating in 20+ years....all my B/W games have been really reliable

#367 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Your point makes no sense as your comparing 20+ year old games versus new modern games....lets see how Sterns are operating in 20+ years....all my B/W games have been really reliable

Makes complete sense to those not trying to defend their old collections. New parts and modern day machines will hold up much better over time, far better than the old B/W machines of the last century. Ask any operator what a nightmare they were back in the long ago past to maintain and they’ll fill your head with nightmarish servicing stories of way back then. Those machines were new at that time, so it is an apples to apples comparison. Stern for one has a testing facility that simulates many years worth of use and they’ve found all the units with the new upgraded cabinets since 2019, prove to be in better shape than the old relics of more than a quarter century ago. At the prices we are paying they should be and modern tech is so much more advanced than the dark ages of the B/W DMD era.

#368 2 years ago

God lord he's finally tuned away from JJP and has a new target!

#369 2 years ago

Lol, funny!

#370 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Makes complete sense to those not trying to defend their old collections. New parts and modern day machines will hold up much better over time, far better than the old B/W machines of the last century. Ask any operator what a nightmare they were back in the long ago past to maintain and they’ll fill your head with nightmarish servicing stories of way back then. Those machines were new at that time, so it is an apples to apples comparison. Stern for one has a testing facility that simulates many years worth of use and they’ve found all the units with the new upgraded cabinets since 2019, prove to be in better shape than the old relics of more than a quarter century ago. At the prices we are paying they should be and modern tech is so much more advanced than the dark ages of the B/W DMD era.

Your argument boils down to hearsay (just ask an operator about 25 years go) and speculation (new pins will work fabulous in 25 years).

Could just ask an operator running 25 year old B/W's right now how much trouble they are...

Two years ago you were calling JJP pins maintenance nightmares...

#371 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

God lord he's finally tuned away from JJP and has a new target!

Does he even own a pinball machine?

#372 2 years ago

Jimwe5t is on the Stern payroll. jimwe5t were you bullied as a kid? Are you ok?

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Jimwe5t is on the Stern payroll. jimwe5t were you bullied as a kid? Are you ok?

I was my schools favorite bully and Uncle Gary pays me quite well. Lol

#374 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Does he even own a pinball machine?

Many and enjoy playing them.

#375 2 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

I'm not sure why GZ at #1 is a surprise. MM as cool as it is, is not #1. There are multiple games that are better than MM. Games are so deep with crazy code, light shows, etc.. It's the "old guard" holding games like MM, AFM, and MB at high positions. Go back at adjust your ratings comparing code and lights now. Probably change ratings drastically. They were great i agree, but c'mon some of these new games are awesome. It's ok if Zilla is #1, the pinball world won't collapse. Everyone that has the original or the 6 different versions of MM and the others can still charge crazy prices for 'em, but GZ it is for me.

Deeper code does not mean more fun to play. Those are not directly related at all.

#376 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

Deeper code does not mean more fun to play. Those are not directly related at all.

I couldn't agree more

#377 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Many and enjoy playing them.

Hmmmm.....really....what games?

#378 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Hmmmm.....really....what games?

From his ratings… 25 year old B/W’s obviously!

And they all must have played identical judging by the reviews.

#379 2 years ago

From his ratings… 25 year old B/W’s obviously!
And they all must have played identical judging by the reviews.

My guess is he doesn't own any pins and he just trolls threads pumping Stern games. I've owned a bunch of games and they all have their pros and cons, and every pin I've owned requires a level of maintenance.

#380 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

I agree - but due to limited space, I am forced to choose pins that stay fun for as long as possible. I wish I had space to own every pinball ever made as they are all fun. But the fun wears off as you see and experience everything there is to do...therefore deeper code = more to do = stays interesting for a longer period.

#381 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I agree - but due to limited space, I am forced to choose pins that stay fun for as long as possible. I wish I had space to own every pinball ever made as they are all fun. But the fun wears off as you see and experience everything there is to do...therefore deeper code = more to do = stays interesting for a longer period.

Old games with original themes stay fun just fine. they don't get dated like a game that came out 30 years after the band was relevant or 2 years after the movie came out. People can play space shuttle and taxi all day long even though the games are short and be incredibly satisfied.

#382 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

he just trolls threads pumping Stern games.

Heavily downvoted and moderated, you might be on to something there.

#383 2 years ago

MM will always be a classic. It’s great for pinball if people generally like the newer games better. We’re in a new Golden age.

#384 2 years ago

I think the Top 100 having ALL machines grouped together is a bit silly. I love playing Volley, and I'd rate it high for it's era of games, but overall it can't even come close to comparing to pretty much any modern game.
I think there should be categories for: EM's, early solid state, 90's DMD, 2000's DMD and LCD/LED display.
If we had that kind of separation there wouldn't be much debate about the rankings.

That being said, *for me* Godzilla and Maiden blow MM out of the water. My real question is "Will Godzilla dethrone Maiden as the best Elwin game?" because I already feel he's an absolute GOAT of a designer, it's just a question as to which of his games is the best.

I owned MM, it was fun, we liked playing it, the remake is straight up better than the original in every way, but it just doesn't have lasting power for me in a smaller collection. If you guys like MM and think it's the best game ever made, that's fine. You're wrong, but that's fine.

#385 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Everybody is different. we work out everything by approximate game plays. TAF and GOTGLE are the most played games in our collection. Sometimes a game grows on you over time and sometimes you just cannot stop pressing the start button on a new game. If the fun wears off, maybe time to sell and swap out to a different game. Pinball is a fantastic hobby and because everyone likes different things this always makes the hobby fun and interesting.

#386 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I think the Top 100 having ALL machines grouped together is a bit silly. I love playing Volley, and I'd rate it high for it's era of games, but overall it can't even come close to comparing to pretty much any modern game.
I think there should be categories for: EM's, early solid state, 90's DMD, 2000's DMD and LCD/LED display.
If we had that kind of separation there wouldn't be much debate about the rankings.
That being said, *for me* Godzilla and Maiden blow MM out of the water. My real question is "Will Godzilla dethrone Maiden as the best Elwin game?" because I already feel he's an absolute GOAT of a designer, it's just a question as to which of his games is the best.
I owned MM, it was fun, we liked playing it, the remake is straight up better than the original in every way, but it just doesn't have lasting power for me in a smaller collection. If you guys like MM and think it's the best game ever made, that's fine. You're wrong, but that's fine.

There is a separate Top 100 list for EMs - Volley ranks a solid #43 position on that list!

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/em

There’s also a bang/buck list, most owned/most wished, best by decade and several others.

#387 2 years ago

Heavily downvoted and moderated, you might be on to something there.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

AE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpegAE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpeg
#388 2 years ago

I’ve always used the ratings as a tool when I’m thinking about buying a game. Looks cool, might have played a couple games (or not on those harder to find titles) and liked it, let’s see what the guys who have owned it (or at least put more time on it than me) have to say. Who the hell cares what everyone else thinks when the game is in your house? Have I been Pinsiding wrong all these years? Every review should require a written explanation IMO. I don’t pay attention to the number ratings but if people are seriously pumping with 10s and shitting with 1s without merit, or just constantly shitting on others opinions in general…it may be time to reevaluate your interest in this hobby. Maybe there are a lot of people here for the arguments and drama? Whatever, I’m going to play more Godzilla.

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I don't blame you friend. they're better than the older releases of the same layout!!!

#390 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!![quoted image]

Feedback isn’t just for manufacturers and the top 100. It’s also for pinsiders.

#391 2 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I have a feeling if the new Sterns were moved around on a route as much as most of the B/W pins, you’d see more cabinet problems. Actually, didn't Stern have splitting cabinet problems not long ago?

Never heard of routed games having cabinet problems. The cabinet problems around GB and 1-2 other titles was simply a bad batch of cabinets that didn’t have proper joints/gluing.

#392 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

MM, AFM, etc have a great balance of fast play, comedy and immersive callouts and music. They HAD to. It was the only way to earn quarters back then

License was the only way to earn quarters back then. MM and AFM didn’t sell well at all compared to their licensed competition. Few exceptions, but licensed games crushed back then just like they do now.

#393 2 years ago

So is MM like POTC in which for years it was hard to get and/or priced high? I've never played POTC but it sounds like its the greatest game ever. I've heard its good, but 20k good? Sane with GnR.. its heralded as the concert in a box and game if the year. I played it.. it was ok to me. Beautiful, but just ok. Then MM. Played it, enjoyed it, but didn't pull me back in. Saw trolls, destroyed a castle, then went to play other pins. I personally like to see new things months after I buy a pin. But I also seldom watch the same movie over and over again, or play a video game that I beat again. I like finding deep code. That's why I dont watch streams. Ill figure it out myself. Name one game that has an original theme in the top 25-50 pins released within the last 5 yrs. Do we have one? Heist at #2 (different style platform), Dialed In #33, and Oktoberfest/Houdini 70s (not sure original theme but close). Everything is a remake or plays off an older version, or is a movie, comic, etc..

#394 2 years ago

Pinside reviews are the equivalent of yelp reviews. Take it with a grain of salt. There are some great games being made today. I think every collection needs some diversity. I have had AFM for 16 years. I still think its fun. I have Godzilla and JP. I think they ae the best since LOTR. However, there are nights I prefer to play BSD, MM, or TZ over GZ or JP. The classics have a certain charm that is timeless. Time will tell how todays games will age. Buy what you like.

#395 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Never heard of routed games having cabinet problems. The cabinet problems around GB and 1-2 other titles was simply a bad batch of cabinets that didn’t have proper joints/gluing.

Didn't have the internal corner brackets every pin had prior. Maybe a foolish attempt at cost cutting who knows?

#396 2 years ago

Didn't have the internal corner brackets every pin had prior. Maybe a foolish attempt at cost cutting who knows?

Huh? The internal metal brackets were same they had always been. Stern added the bigger B/W style brackets at a later date for added comfort to the buyer.

Stern always used the smaller brackets that every single company other than B/W used for decades without issue. Those bigger brackets don’t hold a cabinet together. Proper gluing and construction does.

#397 2 years ago

As of this writing in the marketplace:

27 Godzillas for sale or trade

12 Medieval Madness for sale or trade

#398 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

License was the only way to earn quarters back then. MM and AFM didn’t sell well at all compared to their licensed competition. Few exceptions, but licensed games crushed back then just like they do now.

Premiere & Sega crushed W/B sales?
I Didn't witness that.

#399 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I don’t understand. Are you saying Thunderbirds is better than either as none are for sale right now?

#400 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Yeah and most are pending. Godzilla is better than Medieval Madness. It's not even close. I never understood the infatuation with MM. It is a fun game but most of these reviews were made with nostalgia glasses on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

There are 519 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-mm-about-to-be-dethroned-as-1/page/8?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.