FBB00C66-18DD-40F3-AA21-F8103B180979 (resized).jpeg
Beavis (resized).jpeg
AE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpeg
252AEAF0-E708-4BD2-BB2C-BB1C83AF8765 (resized).png
20211130_180340.jpg
20211130_180318.jpg
frame_04_delay-0.1s.gif
62872CE6-6BED-4089-9F16-FE4101B6A8AC (resized).jpeg
There are 519 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
#201 2 years ago

I'm not a fan of Mando.

#202 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not a fan of Mando.

Well, stick around and you’ll get to see it plummet.

I own a premium. I like it a lot. I haven’t rated it yet but I don’t believe it’s the top pin of all time. It’s not even the top pin I own IMO.

Still…I don’t think it’s right for a ton of old, salty pinballers to ride in on their white horses and destroy the rating to get the top 100 back to where they deem it rightfully should be.

And that’s about to happen.

#203 2 years ago
Quoted from pudluther:

Well, stick around and you’ll get to see it plummet.
I own a premium. I like it a lot. I haven’t rated it yet but I don’t believe it’s the top pin of all time. It’s not even the top pin I own IMO.
Still…I don’t think it’s right for a ton of old, salty pinballers to ride in on their white horses and destroy the rating to get the top 100 back to where they deem it rightfully should be.
And that’s about to happen.

If you think about it, it brings balance to the force. You've got a bunch of turds rating this 10, and counter turds will rate it 1 because of it. A perfectly balanced ecosystem.

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I think Mandalorian LE will briefly take the #1 spot, then get knocked back by pinsiders that want to keep the games they have in their collection ranked higher. We have seen this scenario play out many times. It would be cool to see Brian Eddy beat his own game from #1 with another one he designed albeit briefly though.

Looks like you were on the money.

#205 2 years ago

Man, this thread has some very serious deja vu to it.

The names of the games change, but the criticisms of the rating system remain the same as they were forever ago.

#206 2 years ago

If the goal of the rating system is to drive site engagement, it works flawlessly!

#207 2 years ago

If more people play and rate POTC, it is possible.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

It doesn't matter, as the ratings self regulate over time. New releases go to the top, then drop down when more votes even things out. Seems like Star Wars was number one for a time as well. Besides, if I paid too much attention to the list, I wouldn't own some of my favorite games.

The ratings would be overall more accurate if they were never inflated to begin with. Look at my wishlist and current collection, there is no correlation to the top 100 list. Im only broaching the subject to try to make the top 100 list more accurate, not because I have an emotional attachment to games I like getting on the top 100 list.

#209 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

The ratings would be overall more accurate if they were never inflated to begin with. Look at my wishlist and current collection, there is no correlation to the top 100 list. Im only broaching the subject to try to make the top 100 list more accurate, not because I have an emotional attachment to games I like getting on the top 100 list.

If people were honest and rated games as they genuinely liked and played them, the ratings system would be great.

Reality is people rate their own games high. This is then countered by people that have never played the games giving really low ratings. I think the rating system is fine, I would just like to see a game needing 100 ratings before it is listed in the top 100. Then the top 10% and bottom 10% of ratings removed giving a much better average overall. Just my opinion.

#210 2 years ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Seems the Top 100 is more subjective than ever before. Played several games of Scared Stiff last night, the art is beautiful, the gameplay so easy to understand, amazing toys.. can't see how 30 games are ahead of it?!

I owned SS for many years and I could easily put 50 games ahead of it. It's too easy and repetitive.

Everyone has different ideas what makes a great game. Obsessing over the top 100 is just silly.

#211 2 years ago

Mando being number 1 proves the point that the theme matters. It a decent game but no way this game deserves the # 1 spot. I'm Only guessing it's the little green guy people are voting so high for. Maybe the top 100 should be broken down to top 100 game play,top 100 theme,top 100 rule set ect.

It's the Force telling the weak minded pinheads "You don't like other games" "vote high for the green guy" "The green guys game is the best in the world"

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

Mando being number 1 proves the point that the theme matters. It a decent game but no way this game deserves the # 1 spot. I'm Only guessing it's the little green guy people are voting so high for. Maybe the top 100 should be broken down to top 100 game play,top 100 theme,top 100 rule set ect.
It's the Force telling the weak minded pinheads "You don't like other games" "vote high for the green guy" "The green guys game is the best in the world"

If people set their weighted ranking properly I imagine it would fix some of it too.

Theme and art are like the last two I care about if the game, toys and other resources (audio, video) work well and the game plays great.

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Lists are never truly in stone. I personally always use it as more of a guide of generalities.

Sentimentality, playing styles, artistic preferences, and themes weigh heavy on most people's decisions, of course.

Whether MM is truly #1 or not is extremely subjective. I think what it does well is...well... everything. I can think of pins with better lighting, better callouts, better toys, etc....but it's hard to think of one that does it ALL at such a high level. I feel that it just appeals greatly to such a wide group of people.

#214 2 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I’ll have some of what you’re smoking.

#215 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Lists are never truly in stone. I personally always use it as more of a guide of generalities.
Sentimentality, playing styles, artistic preferences, and themes weigh heavy on most people's decisions, of course.
Whether MM is truly #1 or not is extremely subjective. I think what it does well is...well... everything. I can think of pins with better lighting, better callouts, better toys, etc....but it's hard to think of one that does it ALL at such a high level. I feel that it just appeals greatly to such a wide group of people.

I totally agree, you can't remove all of people's biases from the ratings list, but there are some that can be mitigated. I think this initial hyping up of new releases is one of those biases that can be mitigated.

#216 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

I totally agree, you can't remove all of people's biases from the ratings list, but there are some that can be mitigated. I think this initial hyping up of new releases is one of those biases that can be mitigated.

I agree. We have discussed it some and we may bring it up again soon. A minimum # of ratings seems to be the best policy...although it would cut out all of the fun discourse that comes with discussing it! Lol

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

If more people play and rate POTC, it is possible.

How many games would you guess it takes to like POTC? JJP specifically.

Does it matter which character you select to be?

#218 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

A number of people like it right away, but I think it takes a lot of games to really get the hang of it. Tia Dalma is a good strategy, to choose the chapters within a movie and increase the chances of making the wizard modes. Mine sits next to TZ, but for me TZ is much more fun.

#219 2 years ago

14 and 23 now.

Clarification:
14 is Mando
23 is RM

#220 2 years ago
Quoted from altan:

14 and 23 now.

Wow - Mando dropped from #1 to #14 in only a week.

MM regains the throne!

79AC55D9-348A-4B11-99F3-593B41EBDBA7 (resized).png79AC55D9-348A-4B11-99F3-593B41EBDBA7 (resized).png

#221 2 years ago

Just as predicted

#222 2 years ago

All is right in the world once again.

#223 2 years ago

It’s not a prediction, it’s clockwork. Do you think all the people that gave Mando LE a 6 have played an LE?

#224 2 years ago

Ratings over time with a basic linear fit regression. IMDN was was picked as the third game because I like it and wanted to see.

Created to satisfy my own curiosity. Raw numbers should be accurate but no validation were applied.

Anyone using these to try to prove a point is insane, but don't let that stop you!

mm (resized).pngmm (resized).pngmando (resized).pngmando (resized).pngimdn (resized).pngimdn (resized).png
#225 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Wow - Mando dropped from #1 to #14 in only a week.
MM regains the throne!
[quoted image]

That shows you how easily the ratings can be manipulated by owners and people that have never played the game. As more people rate the game it should eventually work itself out.

#226 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

That shows you how easily the ratings can be manipulated by owners and people that have never played the game. As more people rate the game it should eventually work itself out.

What's crazier to me is why people even care. Rate the games honestly and let the list be the list. I won't rate Mando until I can play it.

The whole reason for this thread was just a reminder for people to keep their ratings up to date in light of all the recent great titles.

#227 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The whole reason for this thread was just a reminder for people to keep their ratings up to date in light of all the recent great titles.

Thank you for the reminder about old ratings. I've been changing some to reflect code updates and more playtime on titles. Still a few to go.

IMHO no new game should be included in the ratings until its a year or more from the initial owners recieving theirs. Have to give time for people to actually play it and for the code to mature some.

#228 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

What's crazier to me is why people even care. Rate the games honestly and let the list be the list. I won't rate Mando until I can play it.

That is the idea of the ratings system. You rate the games how you like them. For me, I just love TWD and ACDC. I think they are the best games of all time. Put all the ratings together and you have an idea of what games are the most popular.

I cannot understand why some people care so much about the ratings and do what they can to manipulate them. This hobby is about you and what you like and everybody is different. The sooner some people understand this, the better the hobby will be for them.

#229 2 years ago

In a fair and just world LOTR would be #1.

Best mix of rules, theme integration, layout etc etc... maybe gets docked a bit for artwork.

The only pin I never get sick of playing.

#230 2 years ago

And so Mando drops down into obscurity where it will soon be forgotten. The cream always rises to the top, but MM shouldn't be number 1. TZ is the rightful owner of this crown. MM gameplay get's boring very quickly, once you figure out the whole game is the same thing over and over again.

But TZ, holy moly, what a game. Every other game cowers in it's shadow.

Having said that, in my own true and honest review, I did rate MM higher than TZ. MM has better audio, better art, better lighting....which just bumps it ahead...damn.

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

POTC is similar to when TZ came out. It has so much packed into it people most likely will be overwelmed what to do at first. Put in some time and you start to learn the rules and what to do. I would say 10+ games and you will start to appreciate what it has to offer. You are constantly learning new things on this because the code is so deep. Picking your character makes a huge difference and let's you change up your strategy for that game. Brilliant game, especially in a home setting.

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

In a fair and just world LOTR would be #1.
Best mix of rules, theme integration, layout etc etc... maybe gets docked a bit for artwork.
The only pin I never get sick of playing.

It's amazing how sick I got of playing it when every game turned into a half hour slog through the same 3 multiballs and 6 modes. I never did get to Valinor, but I must've had TABA at least 10 or 15 times in less than 6 months of playing 4-5 games a week.

I still think it's one of the best...just not one of the best for me to own.

#233 2 years ago

Was just thinking...

With how people vote, CCr will be number one in two days.

#234 2 years ago

What’s the trajectory of Deadpool and jp? Seems like Deadpool has been moving up, maybe that will be the first to take #1 and not because it’s a debut to the ranking list.

#235 2 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Was just thinking...
With how people vote, CCr will be number one in two days.

Lots of noobs now, more coming in all the time. They’ve got the resources to buy nib and trust me, they’re gonna want to influence others and, probably unintentionally(?), want the top 100 to reflect that every time now. I agree, should be a time extension on every nib title. Time to settle and hopefully level out these spikes.

I visited Pinside in 2007, saw top 100 and was like, yeah, ok. List was similar to what it is today. That’s true title grit and popularity. Can’t manipulate that away.

Robin can let us know the changes he’s thinking of?

#236 2 years ago

I’ve never bought a pin based on Pinsides top whatever list. With that said, I don’t own a MM as it’s not the greatest pin IMO. It’s fun but gets old hitting a Castle that takes up 1/3 the PF. How could you possibly miss hitting that thing.

#237 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

I’ve never bought a pin based on Pinsides top whatever list. With that said, I don’t own a MM as it’s not the greatest pin IMO. It’s fun but gets old hitting a Castle that takes up 1/3 the PF. How could you possibly miss hitting that thing.

So you get to the wizard mode every time you play it?

#238 2 years ago

I’ve never bought a pin based on Pinsides top whatever list

Agree - but I’ve *not* bought pins based on the list.

You know - an opportunity to buy that title that you don’t hear much about - and you start looking through the top 100….top 200…top 300….and then find it on the last page.

#239 2 years ago

In general the list is pretty accurate. Especially below the the top 20, the prices correlate pretty close, higher ranked games cost more money.

#240 2 years ago

With that said, I don’t own a MM as it’s not the greatest pin IMO. It’s fun....

Doesn't seem like it

ForFuckSakes (resized).jpgForFuckSakes (resized).jpg
#241 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Doesn't seem like it [quoted image]

that's super lame.

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Par for the course:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#243 2 years ago

Haven’t you all heard of binary voting? Well, 1’s and 10’s.

That pinsider is a strong proponent.

#244 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Those ratings are generous

#245 2 years ago

Just look to Marketplace. More wanted ads than selling…fairly consistently. I played MM on location in the 90’s and my first thought then, even when playing a filthy version was I’m gonna own this title someday.

Just a very balanced game.

#246 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I played MM on location in the 90’s . . . Just a very balanced game.

It is. And the callouts and dots are great. The voice actor for the wizard is deadly. Fun game with a crazy great toy and humour. The powerball and clever use of magnets for shots puts TZ slightly ahead imho, but just slightly.

#247 2 years ago

No changes in the top 9 spots this week - but DP has narrowed the gap on JP to 0.001! I smell Dino blood!

Looks like LOTR jumped back into the top 10 knocking out AIQ.

6C79A7ED-715C-414D-A128-5CF32C4E50BB (resized).png6C79A7ED-715C-414D-A128-5CF32C4E50BB (resized).png

#248 2 years ago

MM is the best game ever in the same sense that vanilla is the best Ice cream flavor.

2 months later
#249 2 years ago

Here ye, here ye. Be it so noted that this week of November 1 of the year 2021, the valiant Medieval Madness will relinquish it’s claim as the king of the Pinside top 100.

The T-Rex was a formidable challenger, but in the end - there can be only one king of monsters that sits upon the Pinside top 100 throne.

48DD7ECC-CC57-42D1-9E62-F31B05E8915D (resized).jpeg48DD7ECC-CC57-42D1-9E62-F31B05E8915D (resized).jpeg

#250 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Here ye, here ye. Be it so noted that this week of November 1 of the year 2021, the valiant Medieval Madness will relinquish it’s claim as the king of the Pinside top 100.
The T-Rex was a formidable challenger, but in the end - there can be only one king of monsters that sits upon the Pinside top 100 throne.
[quoted image]

Godzilla may hit #1 but it won’t stay there. Many new releases have hit high on the list due to initial excitement but they don’t usually have the staying power to remain there. My prediction: if MM loses its crown next week (big IF) then it will come back to reclaim it the very next week. MM has the greatest staying power on the top 100 list.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 64.99
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 16.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 519 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-mm-about-to-be-dethroned-as-1/page/5?hl=jack8765 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.