• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1423_(resized).JPG
cicada-sam_(resized).jpg
20160526_062109_(resized).jpg

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

By now Metallica has become one of the top rated Stern games. So the production has to be high. Which pin has Stern produced the most of since their history?

Anyone know the actual number of Metallica games produced.

Pro?
Premium?
LE?

#2 7 years ago

No...nobody has this info. It is believed ACDC is the highest production modern Stern

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No...nobody has this info. It is believed ACDC is the highest production modern Stern

They will not release the info?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Correct, they have not done so for any product in the history of the company (1999+). Past manufacturers would publish the info, but Stern keeps it private.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

No
We can only guess how many game stern make

LOTR and TSPP numbers would be higher

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

No they don't. Wish they did.

#7 7 years ago

Based on production time you would think it would be Metallica. I think that has been going since 2013 or so. I don't think it could be Ac/DC. The game wasn't in production near as long there seems to be such a shortage of games based on premium pricing value and want ads.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

Based on production time you would think it would be Metallica. I think that has been going since 2013 or so. I don't think it could be Ac/DC. The game wasn't in production near as long there seems to be such a shortage of games based on premium pricing value and want ads.

Stern had a party/celebration declaring AC/DC their top selling game ever. It was in production for the full length of its license.

#9 7 years ago

Why is this info secret?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Why is this info secret?

hide massive failures like wwe?

pro owners listed on pinside
wwe - 24
star trek - 312
metallica - 501
ac/dc - 167
mustang -74
lotr - 942
simpsons - 170
spiderman - 563
tron - 458
walking dead - 203
game of thrones - 100
iron man - 466

ghostbusters is at 103 already

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

wwe - 24
star trek - 312
metallica - 501
ac/dc - 167
mustang -74

Good point with WWE.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Why is this info secret?

It always has been...but, if you go by various stories that have been told over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if the top sellers are in somewhat in this order:

AC/DC
POTC
TSPP
LOTR
Spider-Man

Met's been doing well, but I feel like it hasn't quite cracked that top 5...although it's possible!

#13 7 years ago

I think if they are selling Stern will keeping cranking them out. I'm glad I got an early MET run with the Wood Backbox.
Over 1000s plays and my playfield still looks cherry. Changed balls to hi-grade day one though...

#14 7 years ago

I've heard overseas is huge for Stern....but who knows

#15 7 years ago

I thought it was tspp. Game came out in what...2000 or 2001? Had multiple runs as late as 2011? I thought the total tspp numbers over all years of production was better then 6,000 units. Mr Pinball price guide has approximate production numbers but somtimes they miss a run.

#16 7 years ago

Steve Richie said acdc so we usually go by that

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I think if they are selling Stern will keeping cranking them out. I'm glad I got an early MET run with the Wood Backbox.
Over 1000s plays and my playfield still looks cherry. Changed balls to hi-grade day one though...

Had both and prefer the metal backbox with tilted panel. Have way over a thousand plays and it cld pass for nib except for the dimples

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

1000 plays...does the playfield have a lot of dimples?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Why is this info secret?

Outside scrutiny... pressures on license negotiations... basically just internal financials that they don't have to release.

#20 7 years ago

The benefit of a privately owned company. Don't have to disclose jack.

#21 7 years ago

Sounds about right. I know POTC was #1 until AC/DC beat it. TSPP had a ton of runs.

Ron...

Quoted from Rarehero:

It always has been...but, if you go by various stories that have been told over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if the top sellers are in somewhat in this order:
AC/DC
POTC
TSPP
LOTR
Spider-Man
Met's been doing well, but I feel like it hasn't quite cracked that top 5...although it's possible!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Put it in numerical order to make it easier to read:
lotr - 942
spiderman - 563
metallica - 501
iron man - 466
tron - 458
star trek - 312
walking dead - 203
simpsons - 170
ac/dc - 167
ghostbusters 103
game of thrones - 100
mustang -74
wwe - 24

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I've heard overseas is huge for Stern....but who knows

It certainly was as recently as a few years ago. My guess is relative demand for overseas shipments compared to US consumption has softened the past couple years. Certainly Europe is ordering fewer machines just due to currency exchange issues (I would think Canada would also have similar issues but I'm just guessing).

#24 7 years ago

Most people forget that Stern's Meteor beat out every single modern SS Stern game with nearly 8,400 units built.

According on the basis of serial number historical records in order for the "modern" Stern name (since 1999):

1) LOTR
2) SM
3) TSPP

These include all reruns and limited editions of the same game, or a VE.
This also includes sources of overseas shipping and sales since 2003.

For example, LOTR had NINE separate production runs varying from 200-4000 units from 2003-2010.

AC/DC is not in the top three.
Neither is ST, TWD, or GoT, or any other recent title in the past 5 years.
None of these games tipped even past the 5,000 unit mark.

It has been very difficult to gauge MET because of the "starting and stopping" of production since 2013 and the multiple version variations.
What generally confuses people is that there is a perception that due to the six multiple variations of MET (LE, DD, PM, RC, LEDP, LED) there were a lot more made overall.
That is inaccurate, as there are not 1000s of "Dirty Donny" premiums running around the pinball universe.

If production continues, MET will certainly move into the #3 position in the next year or so, but it depends on this year's production quantity. It just depends on market demand.

Overseas sales of all NIB machines are beginning to slump due to price cost testing and inflation.
Particularly in the last two years.

Total numbers of all Stern machine titles remain unknown.

#25 7 years ago

I would think that Met will pass AC/DC in units.

#26 7 years ago

So the number here:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4858
where is that from?

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It certainly was as recently as a few years ago. My guess is relative demand for overseas shipments compared to US consumption has softened the past couple years. Certainly Europe is ordering fewer machines just due to currency exchange issues (I would think Canada would also have similar issues but I'm just guessing).

That's a good point. I'm reading what some of these guys are paying for the pro alone overseas.....ouch

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I would think Canada would also have similar issues but I'm just guessing

Good guess

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

So the number here:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4858
where is that from?

That was the original reported numbers from the original run (~4,100) + additional runs in 2004/2005.
It does not include all remaining production reruns (2006-2010) or the LE.
It has not been updated.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Most people forget that Stern's Meteor beat out every single modern SS Stern game with nearly 8,400 units built.
According on the basis of serial number historical records in order for the "modern" Stern name (since 1999):
1) LOTR
2) SM
3) TSPP
These include all reruns and limited editions of the same game, or a VE.
This also includes sources of overseas shipping and sales since 2003.
For example, LOTR had NINE separate production runs varying from 200-4000 units from 2003-2010.
AC/DC is not in the top three.
Neither is ST, TWD, or GoT, or any other recent title in the past 5 years.
None of these games tipped even past the 5,000 unit mark.
It has been very difficult to gauge MET because of the "starting and stopping" of production since 2013 and the multiple version variations.
What generally confuses people is that there is a perception that due to the six multiple variations of MET (LE, DD, PM, RC, LEDP, LED) there were a lot more made overall.
That is inaccurate, as there are not 1000s of "Dirty Donny" premiums running around the pinball universe.
If production continues, MET will certainly move into the #3 position in the next year or so, but it depends on this year's production quantity. It just depends on market demand.
Overseas sales of all NIB machines are beginning to slump due to price cost testing and inflation.
Particularly in the last two years.
Total numbers of all Stern machine titles remain unknown.

So we should just ignore the fact that Steve Ritchie came out and said ACDC had taken over the number 1 spot in units sold over your assumption?

#31 7 years ago

Different Companies.

Stern Electronics and Stern Pinball are not the same. You can link together Data East and SEGA to Stern Pinball, but I don't think it is fair to link in Stern Electronics.

#32 7 years ago

My TSPP 2008 run

20160526_062109_(resized).jpg20160526_062109_(resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago

If you are including past companies linked to Stern, then Stern's Meteor is definitely not the best seller. Data East Star Wars is at 10,400, followed closely by Lethal Weapon 3 at 10,350.

#34 7 years ago

potc - 385.

But looking at Pinsider owners misses the point. The really successful games are the ones that are still earning on location.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Put it in numerical order to make it easier to read:
lotr - 942
spiderman - 563
metallica - 501
iron man - 466
tron - 458
star trek - 312
walking dead - 203
simpsons - 170
ac/dc - 167
ghostbusters 103
game of thrones - 100
mustang -74
wwe - 24

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

potc - 385.

But looking at Pinsider owners misses the point. The really successful games are the ones that are still earning on location.

Also comparing Pro numbers to games without different versions doesn't make sense. If you are going to do that, you need to add the Pro/Prem/LE numbers together.

The Pro to Prem/LE Ratio from AC/DC is way different that it was for Metallica.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

Also comparing Pro numbers to games without different versions doesn't make sense. If you are going to do that, you need to add the Pro/Prem/LE numbers together.
The Pro to Prem/LE Ratio from AC/DC is way different that it was for Metallica.

Seriously, there are 815 Pinside owners of AC/DC Prem/LE.

#37 7 years ago

I think for some games the Pro is the true Limited version. I hardly ever see Transformer Pros come up for sale, for example.

#38 7 years ago

i read your post and than directly get teleported on the GB thread !

#39 7 years ago

Pinside is probably not a very good way to determine production numbers. There are plenty of people that don't update their collection info. Pinside is a small sample size of buyers. There are plenty of people I know not on any forums that have games.

In my area there are VERY few pins on route outside of a couple bars/arcades. Growing up games were everywhere. Operators are slowly dying a painful death.....the public interest in games is long gone for the most part.

I can only speculate that even the home market is still very niche and not the majority of the market.

It would be interesting to know the numbers but the real impact would perhaps only benefit the secondary market. We might learn that some games perceived as "scarce" are not. Unless there is a big resurgence in games on location or a huge trend towards the home buyer, sales of 10,000 plus units is not likely.

The market is so small and Stern only produces 2-3 new titles a year and will run it for 2-5 years.......of course they are only building what is ordered. Back in the day there were more manufacturers producing multiple titles. With only one major manufacturer that is an indicator how small the market is today. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years if the market grows and can support new manufactures. Competition is good and hopefully will breed new technology/ideas and drive prices down to compete for our pinball dollars.

#40 7 years ago

So if LOTR is at 5100, MET must be right up there.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Operators are slowly dying a painful death.....the public interest in games is long gone for the most part.

Pinball is thriving around my neck of the woods.

Operators are buying 12+ of titles like KISS.

Couple of new barcades have opened.

Things go in 17 year cycles, and right now the Millennials are crawling out of their cocoons, like Cicadas

cicada-sam_(resized).jpgcicada-sam_(resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago

Vid,

Very glad to hear there is a bit of a boom near you. You would think living near a major city such as Houston there would be tons of games on location but it just is not the case. It is by chance I see them on a rare occasion outside of barcades/arcades/Go-Kart places but outside of that I do not see pins very much. The few I have seen have ALL had issues. I have seen a POTC, Tommy, AC/DC, and just this weekend a Metallica pro. The POTC was at a movie theater and was DIRTY and if I remember correctly the slings didn't work. The Tommy was DIRTY and some of the switches were not working. The AC/DC had ball kick out issues and was not playable. The Metallica I saw this weekend had tons of issues........the slings didn't work, there was almost no slope it played VERY SLOW but that is probably good for an OP as that may avoid some damage/issues. I know that it is not easy to be an OP with games on route...I know a few and I hear the stories and crap they have to deal with but if your games are not playable you can't make money.

I do feel fortunate that I have places such as The Game Preserve, Joystix, Lonestar Pinball Museum, Poison Girl and wonderful friends that have amazing collections so I have plenty of variety when my games feel stale.

It would be great to see more games on location in my area.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

So we should just ignore the fact that Steve Ritchie came out and said ACDC had taken over the number 1 spot in units sold over your assumption?

How long ago did he state this? Met is still selling like crazy

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Vid,
Very glad to hear there is a bit of a boom near you. You would think living near a major city such as Houston there would be tons of games on location but it just is not the case. It is by chance I see them on a rare occasion outside of barcades/arcades/Go-Kart places but outside of that I do not see pins very much. The few I have seen have ALL had issues. I have seen a POTC, Tommy, AC/DC, and just this weekend a Metallica pro. The POTC was at a movie theater and was DIRTY and if I remember correctly the slings didn't work. The Tommy was DIRTY and some of the switches were not working. The AC/DC had ball kick out issues and was not playable. The Metallica I saw this weekend had tons of issues........the slings didn't work, there was almost no slope it played VERY SLOW but that is probably good for an OP as that may avoid some damage/issues. I know that it is not easy to be an OP with games on route...I know a few and I hear the stories and crap they have to deal with but if your games are not playable you can't make money.
I do feel fortunate that I have places such as The Game Preserve, Joystix, Lonestar Pinball Museum, Poison Girl and wonderful friends that have amazing collections so I have plenty of variety when my games feel stale.
It would be great to see more games on location in my area.

Amazing that a new Met pro is already having all those issues you mentioned.That thing must have a lot of plays. Do you have any pictures of the playfield?

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball is thriving around my neck of the woods.
Operators are buying 12+ of titles like KISS.
Couple of new barcades have opened.

That is phenomenal to hear. I hope some more come on location in the Deep South. Lake Charles has a grand total of two beat to crap games on rout.

#46 7 years ago

No pics but it was an original non LED pro. The playfield was fairly clean. It has had some love at some point....the block for the coffin was changed out to the newton ball. No noticeable wear on the playfield. A little wear on the magnets which is normal but not bad.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

No pics but it was an original non LED pro. The playfield was fairly clean. It has had some love at some point....the block for the coffin was changed out to the newton ball. No noticeable wear on the playfield. A little wear on the magnets which is normal but not bad.

Pro's have always had the newton ball, never the block.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Pro's have always had the newton ball, never the block.

Ah...I did not realize this.......Wonder why they did not put the newton ball on all of them. I know others have changed the block to the newton ball. I haven't felt the need to......but my block is pretty beat up but it plays just fine.

#49 7 years ago

Games can only thrive if they are out there and a few beat up old games that have been sitting around for a while will get ignored. I can say from first hand experience that once you start putting out good quality games things can develop and grow very quickly!

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Games can only thrive if they are out there and a few beat up old games that have been sitting around for a while will get ignored. I can say from first hand experience that once you start putting out good quality games things can develop and grow very quickly!

Correct. I know a couple operators and they work hard to ensure they have quality working games on routes. But it is WORK!!! I have heard the horror stories. I have thought about putting a few games on route but not sure I want the headache.

Now back on topic.....How many more Metallica's must be sold to replace AC/DC as the best selling modern Stern??? Perhaps that is the question we need to ask.....it's still in production so could it happen? I took a Stern tour a couple months back. I asked about the availability of playfields as I want to pick up a spare.....I was told I have PLENTY of time to pick up a playfield. I wouldn't read too much into that but I would say that Metallica will be in production for a little while longer.......

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-metallica-the-most-produced-pin-by-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.