(Topic ID: 58656)

Is Metallica the best pin Stern have produced to date? I think so!

By Riffbear

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 204 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Breadfan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130802_162948.jpg
20130802_162635.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
7-2013A_004.JPG
100_0185.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flecom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

haha fair point!
But the EL wire cannot be added at all (at this stage) to a pro.
I'm guessing youve never played a TRON LE.
It pulsates changes color to modes etc. The mods that are out there are simply a fixed light.

1st its not EL, its fiber in the LE

and you are incorrect, there is a proper fiber kit coming out soon that is tied to the modes, and you can make them whatever colors you like

Quoted from PinballHelp:

What club are you going to? Again, you guys need to raise your standards. I don't even know if anyone sells a mono sound board any more. Most clubs I know of are at least 2.1 sound. And I've been a FOH & studio engineer for 20+ years and we run anywhere from a 4-24 channel main bus depending upon the venue.

24" is plenty to achieve good separation. When someone finally pays attention to what you can do with audio, you guys will see the potential that you're missing. The problem is, audio has been of little interest to the pinball industry historically. It's disappointing that JJP only made WOZ 2.1. They could have made a 5.1 or 7.1 system and had jacks so that the games could be plugged into surround systems... once someone does something like this, everybody's going to freak out and wonder why it wasn't done sooner. But the second half of the equation is the sound mix design. Even if you're running in stereo, if the mix isn't interesting, it won't matter. But when you've got a good mix + a good system, the result is amazing. The first time I heard "One" and the lead guitar sneaked out from one of the channels with the rhythm guitar on the other, I got chills... It's a shame Metallica is in Mono. Stern could also put a headphone jack with stereo output if they wanted to do justice to the original music.

forget stereo, give me better sound than the terrible bit-rate that they are using now even if it's mono... it would not take much to add 44.1khz 16bit stereo... but no we get mono at 24khz, thats terrible.. thats like AM radio quality

and I have played Metallica, it is not the best stern... maybe top 10 but not the best, far from it

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Is it a fact stern is resampling to 24khz? Seems hard to believe as I'm not noticing frequencies above 12khz being filtered but maybe I haven't paid enough attention... I mean the cd audio tracks would be at 44.1khz so why they would downsample them i have no clue. But Like I said... I'm busy playing pinball haha I might run the machine thru a parametric eq just to take a look at the spectrum for kicks... Lord knows the speakers aren't good enough to fully present the audio properly in the first place.

if you extract the audio files from the rom set they are about 23 and change khz sampling rate, when working on them they do indeed roll off at around 12khz, it REALLY REALLY REALLY sucks in tron where you lose all the "sparkle" of the daft punk sound track

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Not the best stern but it is better than acdc........... but that wouldn't be hard.

lol that's mean, I have played both and while they are both good machines I don't think either is "the best stern"

#82 10 years ago

no unfortunately there is only so much ram space for each sound file so you can't replace them with higher bit rate files

I wish... maybe someday when the editor becomes more mature it may be a possibility *crosses fingers*

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I see. I don't think I could dislike Avengers any more than I do. I find it to be an absolute failure of pinball design. Guess it's just a case of wildly different opinions here.

ya it was hyped up and then we got that... sigh

I enjoyed xmen quite a bit after all the code updates

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 29.95
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 149.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flecom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-metallica-the-best-pin-stern-have-produced-to-date-i-think-so?tu=flecom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.