(Topic ID: 58656)

Is Metallica the best pin Stern have produced to date? I think so!

By Riffbear

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 204 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Breadfan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20130802_162948.jpg
20130802_162635.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
7-2013A_004.JPG
100_0185.JPG

There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

Had a few friends over last weekend, some are avid players others couldn't care less.

Out of all the pins I have in my line up, everyone agree'd that Metallica Le would have to be the best pin ever made. Very entertaining, great flow and amazing artwork.
I too think it is followed by Tron LE.
Nice work Stern and those involved in designing the game.
Its a blast!

#2 6 years ago

The newest is always the best...until the next one comes out.

#3 6 years ago

Metallica is a great pin, but not sure I could ever say it is their best.

#4 6 years ago

I have found you just never know what game will hit big. I try to keep the latest greatest stern in my collection with one game that gets rotated out when a new one comes. Metallica is the first one that I think might move into the permanent collection since my Tron LE.

#5 6 years ago

It is a special machine, that's for sure. I had a very well balanced lineup
before that thing arrived.

#6 6 years ago

I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet, but from the research it may be the best pro model to date.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

Had a few friends over last weekend, some are avid players others couldn't care less.
Out of all the pins I have in my line up, everyone agree'd that Metallica Le would have to be the best pin ever made. Very entertaining, great flow and amazing artwork.
I too think it is followed by TRON LE.
Nice work Stern and those involved in designing the game.
Its a blast!

No. SM, LOTR, TSPP, IM, and FGY are all better...but it's a solid game that can only move up the list with code!

#8 6 years ago

I think the older sterns, when they had a lot of ex WMS staff and bigger budgets per table (TSPP, LOTR) are still better. But that's just me.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No. SM, LOTR, TSPP, IM, and FGY are all better...but it's a solid game that can only move up the list with code!

That's what is so crazy about pinball. Everyone has their own opinion and they often vary greatly. I wouldn't take a single one of those in trade for my Metallica, and I've owned 4 of the 5 (more like 3.5 as it was a Shrek not a FGY). In my opinion Metallica is what I've hoped Stern would build for so many years.... the artwork alone takes it to another level beyond all others. You add in everything else and what's yet to come, I truly believe it will go down as the best Stern of all time before its all said and done. Off to my game room to play it.

#10 6 years ago

Not according to you bec out if the 13 games rated its not a ten like some of the others. I assume those are all the games you own and people still liked Metallica over them. It's a great line up if those are all the ones you own.

#11 6 years ago

Not yet, but maybe it can get there someday. I wouldn't even consider it the best Stern band themed pin at this point (ACDC takes that honor). If Lyman can do something special with the code like he did for ACDC then this one could be destined for greatness.

As of right now, it is probably right around the #5 spot on my Stern list. It can only go up from there!

#12 6 years ago

I dont agree. Its a good pin, but not their best. I even doubt which one i like more this one or the custom met. I kinda lean towwrds the custom one. In look and gameplay.

#13 6 years ago

Certainly a top 5 Stern in my book.

#14 6 years ago

If you strip all software away and look at the playfield, shots, toys.... Yeah probably. As a total package tho it needs legs to make it the distance, but the potential it there.

#15 6 years ago

Tron LE! All others are #2 or less!

#16 6 years ago

Yes,yes it is. All else can f^£k off!!

#17 6 years ago

The Avengers LE is my favorite STERN to date. It is bad ass .

100_0185.JPG

#18 6 years ago

The only reason I have not yet rated it higher than some others is due to code and the hammer issues it currently has. I'm sure they will be sorted out soon. The playfield design and flow are def second to none in my books.
Of course each to their own. I'm just really stoked that it turned out great!

I used to own a BIBLE but got rid of it quite quickly as I did not like the over all feel of the game.
+ those songs shat me to no end after a short while.

#19 6 years ago

LE's of Tron and Metallica are nothing to boast about compared to pros. Avengers either game is especially nothing to boast about compared to anything out there.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Bomba:

LE's of Tron and Metallica are nothing to boast about compared to pros. Avengers either game is especially nothing to boast about compared to anything out there.

Beg to differ.. The hammer on Met LE is an awesome toy and the EL wire on Tron LE is absolutely stunning + drop targets etc. I agree with Avengers tho.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

Beg to differ.. The hammer on Met LE is an awesome toy and the EL wire on TRON LE is absolutely stunning + drop targets etc. I agree with Avengers tho.

So Met LE has a "can" moving up and down that adds what to the game? and you can see the balls in "lower playfield" compared to lights... awesome! and the wire on Tron LE can easily be added to the pro... not worth it!

#22 6 years ago

Fun game but cant compete with ACDC. Not sure it ever will but it can still be a very fun game.

#23 6 years ago

Close, but no AC/DC...

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Bomba:

So Met LE has a "can" moving up and down that adds what to the game? and you can see the balls in "lower playfield" compared to lights... awesome! and the wire on TRON LE can easily be added to the pro... not worth it!

haha fair point!
But the EL wire cannot be added at all (at this stage) to a pro.
I'm guessing youve never played a Tron Le.
It pulsates changes color to modes etc. The mods that are out there are simply a fixed light.

#26 6 years ago

No way, MET is overrated. Just like the band sold out, so is this pin.

#27 6 years ago

Great addition to my collection. Never liked their music, pin is super.

#28 6 years ago

No not the best Stern but I do think that Metallica is Sterns most attractive game yet. It literally is a work of art. I am stoked on the pro and so are my friends. It plays fast and reminds me of Iron Man but the ramps are smoother and play like butter. It also gets your heart beating playing it. I am not big into Metallica and was not going to get one, but ended up with one on a trade and I am glad I did.

7-2013A_004.JPG

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

The mods that are out there are simply a fixed light.

Not any more. They now pulse.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Not yet, but maybe it can get there someday. I wouldn't even consider it the best Stern band themed pin at this point (ACDC takes that honor). If Lyman can do something special with the code like he did for ACDC then this one could be destined for greatness.
As of right now, it is probably right around the #5 spot on my Stern list. It can only go up from there!

I endorse this post.

#31 6 years ago

OP:

Good job asking and answering your own question in the subject line (let along the post)

Next you should try a poll:

Is a metallica totally the most awesome pinball
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Bananas
4. All of the above
5. 1 & 2

#32 6 years ago

I choose number 3!

#33 6 years ago

It's a great game but Tron and AC/DC are still better.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

OP:
Good job asking and answering your own question in the subject line (let along the post)

Next you should try a poll:
Is a metallica totally the most awesome pinball
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Bananas
4. All of the above
5. 1 & 2

If your talking about Metallica I would choose 3 but if your talking MoPLE I choose 1, 2 and 5

#35 6 years ago

Hell no, MET isn't the best, or in the top three Stern pins.

IMO, these are in the top five, in no particular order:

IM
SM
Tron
LOTR
AC/DC

#36 6 years ago

"Is Metallica the best pin Stern have produced to date?"

No.

#37 6 years ago

Loaded with potential but certainly can't give it the 'best' title yet.

#38 6 years ago

Top 5

Metle
Acdc le
Iron man
Tronle
Lotr

#39 6 years ago

In terms of fun. Yes.

I rank sterns in this order :

I say Acdc then Tron Le then Metallica a very close 3rd. Then SM with mods 4th.

Code updates can easily put it in first.

#40 6 years ago

In terms of overall design, playfield, software, scoring, depth, challenge, etc. TSPP is the best Stern ever made.

Metallica is a neat game, but not in the same league as TSPP. And who knows how long those games will hold up. I ran a tournament with a TSPP last week; the game is 10 years old and didn't give us any problems.

You guys that think any pinball machine that is music-themed and has a MONO sound system is "the best ever made" need to raise your standards a bit.

#41 6 years ago

Metallica definitely exceeded my expectations, especially the premium version. But to date, the top Stern title would have to be Lord of the Rings.

In the last few years I've really enjoyed CSI and Tron. Avatar and Avengers have been a little disappointing.

#42 6 years ago

I honestly believe it all depends on what themes are important to you.

I love METLE and I love my LOTR...I love the band, and love the books/movie.
Avengers, Iron Man, Tron are fun, and if given one of these titles, I would gladly take it, but to me; these two themes really hit home and in my eyes, make then the greatest Stern machines.

That's the beauty if the hobby, subjectivity. To each their own I suppose!

**though I must say, artwork wise, METLE all day!!!

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Bomba:

So Met LE has a "can" moving up and down that adds what to the game? and you can see the balls in "lower playfield" compared to lights... awesome! and the wire on TRON LE can easily be added to the pro... not worth it!

Funny the same can be said of the thing ball lock on Addams family yet people rave about it...

Physical ball lock >>>> virtual ball lock IMO

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

You guys that think any pinball machine that is music-themed and has a MONO sound system is "the best ever made" need to raise your standards a bit.

Ummm most concert and club music systems are mono.... Does that mean they suck too? A stereo image is only useful if you can position left and right speakers far enough apart and have everyone wishing to listen to the music within that area. The fact that pinball speakers are like 24" apart but 50+ inches away means that stereo spread is going to be minimal. I prefer the money spent on the playfield.

#45 6 years ago

I've only played about an hour on a premium and i personally like all of the following sterns better: LOTR, TRON, TFLE, Simpsons, Spiderman, WPT & ACDC. I guess what i'm saying is I disagree. It could overtake some of them with better code but i doubt all of them.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Ummm most concert and club music systems are mono....

What club are you going to? Again, you guys need to raise your standards. I don't even know if anyone sells a mono sound board any more. Most clubs I know of are at least 2.1 sound. And I've been a FOH & studio engineer for 20+ years and we run anywhere from a 4-24 channel main bus depending upon the venue.

A stereo image is only useful if you can position left and right speakers far enough apart and have everyone wishing to listen to the music within that area. The fact that pinball speakers are like 24" apart but 50+ inches away means that stereo spread is going to be minimal. I prefer the money spent on the playfield.

24" is plenty to achieve good separation. When someone finally pays attention to what you can do with audio, you guys will see the potential that you're missing. The problem is, audio has been of little interest to the pinball industry historically. It's disappointing that JJP only made WOZ 2.1. They could have made a 5.1 or 7.1 system and had jacks so that the games could be plugged into surround systems... once someone does something like this, everybody's going to freak out and wonder why it wasn't done sooner. But the second half of the equation is the sound mix design. Even if you're running in stereo, if the mix isn't interesting, it won't matter. But when you've got a good mix + a good system, the result is amazing. The first time I heard "One" and the lead guitar sneaked out from one of the channels with the rhythm guitar on the other, I got chills... It's a shame Metallica is in Mono. Stern could also put a headphone jack with stereo output if they wanted to do justice to the original music.

#47 6 years ago

is this a joke?

#48 6 years ago

I like Metallica, I really like it very much. But IMHO Tron, LOTR, and AC/DC are all better playing pins right now.

#49 6 years ago

The fact that pinball speakers are like 24" apart but 50+ inches away means that stereo spread is going to be minimal.

granted this newfangled technology called STEREO is still pretty new, but YES, i think they can get improvement with 24" of separation.... how much separation is there on your typical boombox?

And with headphone jack options (I have one installed on my ACDC), it s moot point anyways.

lastly, why limit oneself to the backbox? Why not put 2 small front speakers into the front of the cabinet as well? Might not be a huge difference, but i think its safe to say- there's room for some innovation here...

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

SM is best of all!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside