Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140615_195252.jpg
image.jpg
cletus.jpg
image-693.jpg
image.jpg
metpoll.png
There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
#301 9 years ago

the layout of Metallica is great !
JB has done extremely well
qualifying for CIU is straight forward
so nice to see SS and laser cut ramps come back !
there is a great flow, the orbit post is now working to be rewarding

There are so many shots to go for
so many options !
combinations are huge
there is some code needed for all to align correctly.
all I notice so far is graveyard shutdown during some modes
(be nice to get pay for made shots )

I can understand the delay for completion, there is so much going on
if I had time, i would list combo/mode/level strategy

I am sure Lyman has a good handle on the dozens of options !
has a stack of discoverable shit to find.

again this is what is so epic about Lymans code
it gets better/grows with your skill !
and will deliver the ultimate with time,
just as it took with Spidey

Strategy is very important on Metallica,
to cash in or play on ?
to chase S&D, or to go for CIU ?
To go for Graveyard multi, Snake Multi
oh yeah and Sparky

Stacking options are limited new code
expect it will open up again

The options are fantastic !

Such a cool game !

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from KevinDDR:

maintain a lengthy doubler like you can with the bell in ACDC. . . If you ever have to shoot one shot 10+ times in a row in a game in order to score well, it's not a "top 10" game.

Contradiction? You have to keep shooting the bell to keep the multiplier active. Hate to tell you, but the fuel lane isn't any more awkward than the under-the-flipper or the left saucer shots on ST....takes some practice and nerves, but it's not like it's impossible. You could make the argument that the doubler is TOO EASY to get on AC/DC, especially since you can just reset it by hitting the bell. To each their own.

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Contradiction? You have to keep shooting the bell to keep the multiplier active. Hate to tell you, but the fuel lane isn't any more awkward than the under-the-flipper or the left saucer shots on ST....takes some practice and nerves, but it's not like it's impossible. You could make the argument that the doubler is TOO EASY to get on AC/DC, especially since you can just reset it by hitting the bell. To each their own.

Not to mention the repetitiveness of the MM castle or AFM saucer.

#304 9 years ago

No contradiction at all. Shooting the bell in ACDC needs to be interleaved with other shots which is super tense when you're trying to set up sweet 3X song bonus and song jackpot collects. Shooting Sparky over and over does not need to be interleaved with other shots. I never said anything about the comparative difficulty with the ST and SM under the flipper shots. Fuel is frustratingly hard to keep going and I promise you that my skills are not too poor to have a good shot at it. I also never said that I enjoyed MM (shooting castles over and over is completely boring yet the only way to go in tourney play). Good players don't tend to shoot the saucer in AFM either, as MB and TA are far more valuable than flailing on the saucer death shot.

#305 9 years ago

Um...you can't just keep shooting the fuel lane over and over again either, so I'm not sure how that's any different than "interleaving" shots to the bell. Not only that, but you've got TWO ways to get a multiplier on MET, that include 7 different shots among them (4 picks, snake, fuel lane, fuel standup). Fuel 2x can be collected at any time, snake only during multis.

You said the fuel shot is "too awkward"... my point was that nobody has called either shot on ST awkward and yet they're almost completely identical....especially on the left side.

You don't think it's "tense" trying to shoot the fuel lane right before collecting a CIU mode, or trying to stack both multipliers during multiball.....ooookay, if you say so. We're gonna argue about this until we're blue in the face, and neither one of us is necessarily incorrect. Speaking personally, I've owned both Met Pro and AC/DC Premium, I'd rather have MET pro over AC/DC Premium. That to me speaks volumes. It's not just ALL about the score with MET. AC/DC is a fantastic tourney game....and I'll still pick it playing against other people....but it doesn't deserve a spot in my house.

#306 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Um...you can't just keep shooting the fuel lane over and over again either, so I'm not sure how that's any different than "interleaving" shots to the bell. Not only that, but you've got TWO ways to get a multiplier on MET, that include 7 different shots among them (4 picks, snake, fuel lane, fuel standup). Fuel 2x can be collected at any time, snake only during multis.
You said the fuel shot is "too awkward"... my point was that nobody has called either shot on ST awkward and yet they're almost completely identical....especially on the left side.
You don't think it's "tense" trying to shoot the fuel lane right before collecting a CIU mode, or trying to stack both multipliers during multiball.....ooookay, if you say so. We're gonna argue about this until we're blue in the face, and neither one of us is necessarily incorrect. Speaking personally, I've owned both Met Pro and AC/DC Premium, I'd rather have MET pro over AC/DC Premium. That to me speaks volumes. It's not just ALL about the score with MET. AC/DC is a fantastic tourney game....and I'll still pick it playing against other people....but it doesn't deserve a spot in my house.

HOLY CRAP Frax...I agree with you on every single point. This is why posters should not be put on ignore.

#307 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I reserve those designations for watershed type games like High Speed, black knight, taf, fireball, Space Shuttle..

I'm not sure if I'd reserve it for watershed titles, but I think a title has to stand the test of time. MM, AFM, MB, CV are all classics that have stood up well and are still consistently sought-after. I think a lot of the recent Stern's have been great, but there's something wrong with the whole "top-N" discussion. If you broke it up by decade, where would MET stand in the 2010-2019 period?

#308 9 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

HOLY CRAP Frax...I agree with you on every single point.

Do you normally not? lol... I don't remember getting in any big arguments with you, but it's all kind of a blur at some point.

#309 9 years ago

Metallica for me is better than any of the current top 5, I have a AC/DC Luci and it is great but I'm going to sell or trade it as Metallica has really become the game I play the most. Like that fella said AC/DC is great with group play or a tournament but isn't working in my home collection. I'm thinking XmenLE give that a shot.

#310 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Metallica for me is better than any of the current top 5, I have a AC/DC Luci and it is great but I'm going to sell or trade it as Metallica has really become the game I play the most. Like that fella said AC/DC is great with group play or a tournament but isn't working in my home collection. I'm thinking XmenLE give that a shot.

I agree I just sold my acdc as I never played it after I got my mople I ended up buying a wozle for something different

#311 9 years ago

This reminds me that my ratings of Metallica are based on old code. I haven't played the game with the latest update yet (to be honest I have not looked carefully, and I know I will play it for a tourney this saturday).

The point is: there should be a way to make some of your own ratings "on hold" pending update. Meaning they would not actually count in Pinside average until you decide to. I would prefer that over deleting it completely.

#312 9 years ago

OT: is METLE worth the extra cash over Met Prem? Cab art and backglass are the only difference correct?

#313 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: is METLE worth the extra cash over Met Prem? Cab art and backglass are the only difference correct?

Correct, but the real backglass is real nice! I like the monster art and Roadcase art better personally... Except the bald guys translite (ugh!). The powder is pretty cool on the LE too.

#314 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Pro is awesome value for money, not to much different from premium to LE, but I still went the LE as the art work and the finish, it wasn't much more then the premium.

#315 9 years ago
Quoted from KevinDDR:

The whole way that qualifying the Crank It Up modes works currently is bizarre and frankly counter intuitive too.

I love the way crank it up works. I always try to light up a bunch of inserts before any multiball to get the most CIU progress out of it I can, but that adds in a bunch of danger which is exciting.

#316 9 years ago

I played Met for the first time this weekend. It was on a tournament in Spain.
Finally I can talk about the machine: it's very very good. I would say yes, it could be a top 10.

#317 9 years ago

Before playing: meh (I said, meh)
After 1st game: yeah (oh yeah)

Not a fan of Metallica at all, but here I am seriously thinking about NIB pro. The shot geometry feels very satisfying, with great lighting, dots, and sounds/callouts and great rule progression as the reward. The ruleset really does make you play the entire playfield (all shots feel very satisfying) with the one exception being the outer loops due to a lack of spinner (that omission really is a head scratcher). But it's the art that really ties it all of it together, like a really good area rug.

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I love the way crank it up works. I always try to light up a bunch of inserts before any multiball to get the most CIU progress out of it I can, but that adds in a bunch of danger which is exciting.

+1

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

Before playing: meh (I said, meh)
After 1st game: yeah (oh yeah)
Not a fan of Metallica at all, but here I am seriously thinking about NIB pro. The shot geometry feels very satisfying, with great lighting, dots, and sounds/callouts and great rule progression as the reward. The ruleset really does make you play the entire playfield (all shots feel very satisfying) with the one exception being the outer loops due to a lack of spinner (that omission really is a head scratcher). But it's the art that really ties it all of it together, like a really good area rug.

What do the spinners do for scoring or rules?

Rob

#320 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

What do the spinners do for scoring or rules?
Rob

Not fully implemented yet (they have their own DMD background, but no rules yet), but hitting them gives a great sound fx and its very helpful to getting the Fade to Black SJP.

#321 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Not fully implemented yet (they have their own DMD background, but no rules yet), but hitting them gives a great sound fx and its very helpful to getting the Fade to Black SJP.

Hook up an external sub and those sound effects on the spinners sounds AWESOME! Like a mini drum solo!

#322 9 years ago

Metallica has now moved to No 16, some peeps have rescored this pin........slowly but surely heading towards No 10

3 weeks later
#323 9 years ago

Right....... surely now after the latest code Metallica belongs in the top 10?

#324 9 years ago

I wish this theme captured me more. MET is a great game. I play it on route quite a bit because the layout and features are fun. So far not a buyer though.

#325 9 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

Right....... surely now after the latest code Metallica belongs in the top 10?

If it deserves to be there, it will make it - you know what they say about cream rising to the top. I'm disappointed it took Lyman so long to implement the LE lock code - this is what should have been done as soon as the magnet faults became apparent.

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

If it deserves to be there, it will make it - you know what they say about cream rising to the top. I'm disappointed it took Lyman so long to implement the LE lock code - this is what should have been done as soon as the magnet faults became apparent.

True........ better late then never.

It probably needs one more update just to iron out the little issues.

#327 9 years ago

the new code makes it top 3 IMO

#328 9 years ago

Everyone should redo their ratings

#329 9 years ago

I did. Its top of my list!

#330 9 years ago

Yes.

#331 9 years ago

Its a top 5 game, I would rather have my Met Pre than MM,MB,TAF,TZ and I see IJ has worked its way into the top 10 so I'm to believe that's a better game than STLE and Tron?????? The top 10 is now flawed and holds zero credibility in my opinion. I've owned all those games and they just feel dated in comparison to the latest Stern pins.

#332 9 years ago

It's top 15 now.

Easily top 10 maybe even top 5 if the code gets a little more polish.

#333 9 years ago

I'm not sure if Metallica is a top ten pin but I can tell you this, it's definitely Stern's best pinball ever made.

#334 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The top 10 is now flawed and holds zero credibility in my opinion.

Those ratings are intrinsically flawed and never had any credibility. I'm not saying that because I don't like which games are high on the list; I've never seen the list. It's meaningless.

#335 9 years ago

I have waited until now to finally review it. Top 10 in my book

#336 9 years ago

Got my first NIB (MET Premium) arriving tomorrow! Pumped!

#337 9 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

If there is one mod I recommend doing, it's making a new plastic to cover Sparky's feet. It eliminates the airballs off his feet.

Congrats on the new game, you will enjoy it! Oh and hopefully you don't have a problem with the stock balls if you use them. The ones that come with the game may magnetize too easy and really get stuck in the coffin lock. I had this happen to mine and had to switch balls.

Rob

20140615_195252.jpg20140615_195252.jpg
#338 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

If there is one mod I recommend doing, it's making a new plastic to cover Sparky's feet. It eliminates the airballs off his feet.
Congrats on the new game, you will enjoy it! Oh and hopefully you don't have a problem with the stock balls if you use them. The ones that come with the game may magnetize too easy and really get stuck in the coffin lock. I had this happen to mine and had to switch balls.
Rob

20140615_195252.jpg 211 KB

I need to make one. I get fly balls into the pop area. I'm afraid that I will bust a bumper cap. I think that I read new plastics are around $250!! Yikes.

#339 9 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I need to make one. I get fly balls into the pop area. I'm afraid that I will bust a bumper cap. I think that I read new plastics are around $250!! Yikes.

Yeah, I was seeing way too many airballs off the feet on my game. Even at a slightly higher than normal pitch and coils set to soft pulse.

It's pretty easy to remove the plastic. Trace the old one on some new lexan and cut (a dremel would help). Although I am surprised nobody is offering these for sale?

Rob

#340 9 years ago

Just picked mine up and am loving it. To put any machine, by any maker, in the top 10 pinball machines of all time this quickly is pretty silly to me. To sit around and argue aboot it is even sillier.

#341 9 years ago

My Dream Pin...Thanks Lyman

I really d'ont care where it stands in the Top 100, i Love it and all my friends too !

#342 9 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

you will love, amazing machine.

3 weeks later
#343 9 years ago

Come on MET is only up to #14. I gotta think many reviews are still on old code. Lets update those ratings and get MET to where it should be... I know it doesn't really matter anyways but in the spirit of the post can't most of us agree this is truly a top 10 game?

#344 9 years ago

It is definitely the pin I play the most!

#345 9 years ago

Since I can't find a used premium, I really think the owners are very happy with their machines. This one may be better than AC/DC for me.

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Since I can't find a used premium, I really think the owners are very happy with their machines. This one may be better than AC/DC for me.

Definitely!

My ACDC is the next to go….

#347 9 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

rickwh a pinside member was making these. I bought one from him and it works great

#348 9 years ago

I just rated this awesome game and yes it should and will make it in to the top 10.

#349 9 years ago

MetallicA is simply Amazing i just played 3 games Tonight and it's such a Satisfying Pin in every way !

C'ant get enough .

#350 9 years ago

I have to say yes, but it may be hard to crack the top 10 ratings-wise. I had to make a really hard decision between IMVE or METPRO, and I still feel that I made the right one, as I don't know if I'll ever pony up the money for a NIB again. I'm still in the "honeymoon-phase", but it is a fast, fun and brutal game. Being a Metallica fan since my high school days, along with the greatest art package since the WMS/Bally days is a nice bonus as well. For shots, modes and just "fun stuff to do" MET is alot of game for the money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-metallica-a-top-10-pinball-now-the-update-has-landed/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.