Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by patrickvc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

I just picked up a nice players Medusa that has mostly Mylar. Everywhere there is not Mylar is completely planking and there are some small wear marks. I have heard this is a beast to swap playfields on and I have limited time on the game. Is it worth a full restore? The art is beautiful on this game, but does the gameplay get stale? I had a Centaur and got bored with it fairly quickly. I picked it up extremely cheap so I will not lose my ass if I restore it.

#2 3 years ago

I saw that one. I hope you do restore and bring it to ZAPCON.

#3 3 years ago

My common sense tells me not to restore, but damn that cpr Playfield looks gorgeous!

#4 3 years ago

Unless the game is one of your favorites I would not restore. I've done a couple of Bally SS restores (Centaur II, Flash Gordon) and they are a ton of work! If you restore and get bored of the game later you will be lucky to get your money back out of it.-not to mention your time. In my Case I think it was worth it for the FG because the game remains one of my favorites from that era but I grew a little tired of the Centaur and sold it. If I wouldn't have restored the Centaur I probably would have kept it as the value of the game unrestored was inexpensive enough that I could justify keeping it. I still like the game a fair amount, I just don't love it. At the higher restored value there were other games that I would rather have.

#5 3 years ago

Great game I think you will really enjoy it. Id say that about Centaur too tho. Dont get hung up on the fact it isnt a clearcoated majesty of a pf. Its a 35yr old game that has hung on this long lookin pretty good. Its taken me awhile to grasp this but they dont all need to be "show cars". If it plays great, some pf blemishes shouldnt matter. Especially if just making it "super shiney" means you have to deal with swapping and then play checking all of this...

Im dreading doing my Flash Gordon and that looks like childs play compared to this!

image_(resized).jpeg

#6 3 years ago

Flash Gordon would be my 80's Bally Grail, but I can't ever seem to find them trashed, cheap and ready for a full restore. Probably would be hard to find playfields at this point. I am working on shopping it out right now. Maybe I'll play it for awile and then make a decision.

#7 3 years ago

Nate, we can always work a deal for the Flash Gordon and both of our problems will be solved. Lol

#8 3 years ago

Conquer Olympus!
Medusa is a great game with very challenging rules. You can even call this ruleset "deep"!
The theme is well integrated.
The outlanes can be extremely frustrating...

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Flash Gordon would be my 80's Bally Grail, but I can't ever seem to find them trashed, cheap and ready for a full restore. Probably would be hard to find playfields at this point. I am working on shopping it out right now. Maybe I'll play it for awile and then make a decision.

Dont make a decision til you get it playing great. You will know then if its a keeper.

Quoted from Squeakman:

Nate, we can always work a deal for the Flash Gordon and both of our problems will be solved. Lol

No problem, I think my standard deal right now for Flash Gordon is for a persons first born, the ownership of their soul in the afterlife and all of their earthly possessions. Since my FG isnt that nice i will knock off the "first born" clause...

#10 3 years ago

Damn you drive a hard bargain. Lol

#11 3 years ago

You don't restore these older games because it's "worth it", you do it because YOU want to and you love the game! I don't think you'll get your money back on just about any older Bally/Williams restoration from the 80s.

That being said, I'd be more than happier to take the Medusa off your hands if you are willing to ship it!

To me, the game is totally worth a high end restore. Your results/opinions may vary.

#12 3 years ago

I'll second what Cobray stated so well. Do it because you want to.

I really like my Medusa, and as it turns out it's in great shape, yet I went and purchased the CPR playfield. CPR really stepped up their quality; it is truly gorgeous. I may or may not swap the playfield down the road. For the foreseeable future it will be wall art.

#13 3 years ago

If you don't love it Chad, don't restore it. If it's the Medusa I'm thinking it was originally mine. Having said that I played it and mildly enjoyed it, then I lifted the playfield looked at the underside set it back down and said I'm not interested in swapping it out. Man there is a ton underneath that bad boy. If I remember right it has a pretty decent field. My advice play it awhile and trade it towards a Flash Gordon. It's pretty popular so I would imagine reselling it or trading towards the FG shouldn't be too hard. Enjoy the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New York City, NEW YORK
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside