(Topic ID: 51087)

Is Medieval Madness Really Worth the Money it fetches?

By Cybergoonie

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by hlaj78
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Chart_Gold_5_Year.jpg
image.jpg
th-1.jpeg
th.jpeg
image.jpg

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

Really interested in knowing what my fellow pinheads think on the subject...

I know I'm most likely going to get lynched for posting this thread but I just thought I'd post the question....Is Medieval Madness really worth the Money it fetches?

Although I think MM is a fun pin does it really deserve the hype it receives and in turn deserve the ridiculous money people pay? I've played MM many times and while it definitely deserves to be in the top 100 here on pinside I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the crazy money people drop for this title.

I'm still trying to verify if the armor is gold plated or not. Maybe it has something to do with bragging rights?? Help me out...I don't get it.

Ok, keep it civil.....thanks for the help.

15k for your thoughts.....

#2 6 years ago

If it wasn't worth it, wouldn't it be cheaper ?

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Of course not, but if you have plenty of money..............Why not, it is a great game...........Everything is relative.

#4 6 years ago

Hell no

#5 6 years ago

Depends if you are buying or selling.

#6 6 years ago

Not worth it to me, but probably worth it to some people.

#7 6 years ago

Hell yes

#8 6 years ago

Here we go again!

#9 6 years ago

For the average person - nope. For the wealthy person - sure, why not, its a fun game.

#10 6 years ago

It was when I sold it.

#11 6 years ago

I've own two, it's a good... Actually a great game but the answer is only if I am selling it is it worth 10+K.

#12 6 years ago

True B/W fans will probably say yes.
I prefer newer Sterns.
Although it's a fantastic game, I would rather have 2 NIB Sterns vs 1 MM.
There is no right or wrong. It's whatever your preference happens to be.

#13 6 years ago

The price of anything is not what you pay for it, it's the difference between what you buy it and sell it for.
If you can tie up the bucks, go for it. You'll probably come out ahead after you enjoy it and sell it.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

You'll probably come out ahead after you enjoy it and sell it.

Or at least break even.

#15 6 years ago

Why does it have to be about being a B/W fan? I have both B/W and Stern games and love them all. Will also have a couple of JJP games as well. I am a fan of a good game regardless of who made it.

#16 6 years ago

Simple answer - No.

People with big wallets get into the hobby. They look at IPDB and Pinside rankings and they need to have the game at the top of the list.

They will pay anything to get one.

People who have one don't want to sell. Unless they get a stupidly high price. Then they sell.

This creates the new price.

"I got 15k for my MM!"
"Wow, my mm is worth $15k now! Sweet"
"If they got $15k for their mm, mine is worth $17k cause its nicer than theirs!"

Thus, pinflation is created.

No different from Tulips, or rocks that people dig out of the ground.

Just because some person, at some stage in time, said that golden colour rocks are valuable, now golden colour rocks are valuable. Doesn't mean that golden colour rocks are better than silver colour rocks. Just someone deemed them to be valuable so all the minions follow. The person that deemed golden colour rocks to be valuable probably had a big pile of them down the back of his property.

Marketers follow this idea all the time ... Look at European cars. They market them as "the best" so people think they are "the best" and pay a premium whereas you'd be better to buy a toyota cause they never break down.

It's all just a bit silly if you actually sit down and think about it.

(Theres some deep insightful thinking for you on a weekend ...).

rd.

#17 6 years ago

Jeeez that was a good post

rd.

#18 6 years ago

You got some yellow coloured rocks then Dave?

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Jeeez that was a good post
rd.

So after all that I assume you'll sell me your MM for 5k?

#20 6 years ago

Great game,,,not $15k great or even $10k good...

#21 6 years ago

MM did take up less room than the six pins that replaced it.

#22 6 years ago

It's definitely worth the price tag more than any other 10k+ pin thats out there. If I could only own one $10k+ machine, it would probably be MM.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or at least break even.

Which is a huge win because you get to play and enjoy MM for free. Best deal I've heard of in a long time.

#24 6 years ago

If you like it a lot and want to part with the price, I guess it is worth it. But isn't everything like that? We all have friends and relatives who think that the very idea of owning your own pinball machine(s) is completely bonkers.

#25 6 years ago

No but its a good game, and this is the most overdone thread in all of pinball...and I joined in..failure

#26 6 years ago

If you couldn't sell it on then, no, it's not good value for money but given that pins seem to be generally holding their value currently then the price is almost irrelevent so long as you can afford the money up front. It could be $100k and if that was the accepted market price then they would still regularly change hands for that money between the select few people that have that kind of spare money to move around. Pinball is a hobby where many collectors sell as often as they buy so the prices don't necessarily represent their actual value.

The price games fetch is not just based on how good they are. See CC and BBB for examples. MM happens to be rare AND a great game so it's quite sought after.

Ultimately, no one can know for sure why certain games fetch the prices they do. It's an organic process that is affected by many things. But rarity and popularity are two of the major factors.

That's the way I see it anyway.

#27 6 years ago

I guess it must be worth it to the people who are determining current market value by apparently buying at these prices. If it was not worth it, it would be worth less money.

#28 6 years ago

No no 15 thousand times no.....

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

We all have friends and relatives who think that the very idea of owning your own pinball machine(s) is completely bonkers.

Ain't that the truth!

Do people ever visit your house and, unsolicited, decide to guess what the pins cost? What I hear most often is "500 bucks." If only...

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

So after all that I assume you'll sell me your MM for 5k?

That's what I paid for it. $6000 NZD so about $5000 usd on current rates.

I would not pay $15k.

Same as I wouldn't pay $15k for a Cactus Canyon.

Or $25k for a BBB.

I go without. I dont need them. No stress my end.

I'd rather buy the 6 more Sys11s I need to complete my collection!

rd.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

You got some yellow coloured rocks then Dave?

I would never buy any coloured rocks Pauly.

Cause they are rocks.

Jewellery is the biggest con job ever created.

I bought my girlfriend a $4000 gold/diamond engagement ring set for $350 at an estate sale.

That's all it was worth.

20 years on its still going strong.

rd.

#32 6 years ago

Best B-W title ever made IMO.

Some background for you to help get some perspective on the pricing:

http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_medieval_madness_prices.html

#33 6 years ago

In about thirty minutes after I win the $600 million jackpot in tonight's Powerball, it'll be worth every bit of the $10,000 asking price...maybe even a little more if I don't have to split the winnings with anyone else!

#34 6 years ago

I love it but no games worth that much

#35 6 years ago

Nope. I paid 6400 for my MM and thought the seller should have used Vaseline.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

I love it but no games worth that much

+1

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Chris_james0:

Haha classic!

rd.

#38 6 years ago

No...it was not getting any love in my collection so I sold it after less than a year. Everyone got tired of bashing the castle. But it is a fun game, but not fun enough to justify the prices. AC/DC premium is getting much more love than MM ever got.

#39 6 years ago

I'm not sure about the value of MM, but that Klondike I picked up for $350 is definitely worth it.

#40 6 years ago

It is what it is I guess. I don't regret getting mine and you would need a lot more than Vaseline to get it out of my games room.

#41 6 years ago

Brian Eddy design, the genius of Lyman Sheats writing code, hiring professional comedians from Second City in Chicago (home of John Belushi, John Candy, Dan Aykroyd, Tina Fey .....) to do the callouts and write most . Boom, all the stars lined up and MM appeared. How could it not have turned out great! Wally

#42 6 years ago

I would rather have this instead. And it was less than what a MM goes for now.

image.jpg

#43 6 years ago

My opinion may be biased because I own one... But in IMHO it has stood to the test of time. Next to some of the Stern greats, possibly JJP with WOZ it doesn't feel dated. Game play, theme, sound, playfield toys, it's just a really fun pin to play. It gets as much playtime as my Tron LE and ACDC, and that says a lot. Now try and buy one available in stellar HUO, and you'll find yourself paying a premium.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Chris_james0:

Ok i'll give you 6400 for it now. Seems like a fair deal since you feel you got screwed right???

#45 6 years ago

Yes. MM is a great game! I don't even own one and they are worth a couple grand more than what i sold mine for, but i still would love to have it back if i had the spare cash. Plain and simple it is a great game!

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Although I think MM is a fun pin does it really deserve the hype it receives and in turn deserve the ridiculous money people pay? I've played MM many times and while it definitely deserves to be in the top 100 here on pinside I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the crazy money people drop for this title.

In short,if you all ready own one then the hype and price is warranted. If you don't own one then it isn't.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

In short,if you all ready own one then the hype and price is warranted. If you don't own one then it isn't.

I own one. Cool game but $15k price isn't warranted.

rd.

#48 6 years ago

Will sell mine for $25k

#49 6 years ago

Some guys drop 70 to 100 grand or more on a watch and all it does is tell time.

No. It absolutely is not worth the money it fetches in terms of play. But that's not all that drives the price.

#50 6 years ago

My thoughts are I can buy 8 or 10 nice William's System 11 machines or 4 or 5 good DMD machines for what a MM cost and I know I'll have a hell of a lot more fun with a bunch of machines than I would with just one so my answer is NO.

Being very honest I only have one or two machines in the top 25 according to IPDB but for less than you would pay for just 3 or 4 of those machines I own over 25 machines in the top hundred. And regardless of what anyone says I think I'll have more fun with the 25 machines in my gameroom than most people owning a half a dozen of the "top titles".

To me more machines makes more sense than having "A" list titles but that is just me. Regardless of what anyone thinks I think everyone has to do what is best for themselves. But the bottom line is personally I would never pay even $5000 for an old used pinball machine even restored. Why do that when $1500 to $2000 will buy you something you can enjoy just as much or maybe even more?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, TX
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 229.99
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Boards
PinSound
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brownsburg, IN
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 89.99
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
€ 9.10
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside