Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 641 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Xscrapiron
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is living in Ca. worth it?”

• Yes 48 votes
      24%
    • No 38 votes
      19%
    • Hell No! 113 votes
      57%

(199 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BD139CD3-C7EE-4F57-8748-80C26B4AEBFF (resized).png
    79CDFD3B-1595-4373-942A-5DE553F491D8 (resized).png
    walter1 (resized).jpg
    worldpopgr.gif
    B2C6D2B1-716F-48AB-9DA8-B0190B738585 (resized).jpeg
    A0A16A9A-F071-4622-BD47-0D3BB6E2F2B0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20150806_123403 (resized).jpg
    87FC6777-5D77-4F27-ACBF-C7F954A79D9A.gif
    21AF42B4-AE5E-40B0-931A-E70AB4F011F8 (resized).png
    5039201D-5667-462D-857A-21154253F4F0 (resized).jpeg
    D73C2D39-A785-4D98-B757-A19A2767DF60 (resized).png
    1C3FA4F3-2D36-4B11-B2A3-7EFA2C43DF4B (resized).jpeg
    28BD812E-EAA5-45F2-A25B-7E932CD6402C (resized).jpeg
    P-2401--Full-Front-Open-v2--500w (resized).jpg
    2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#327 3 years ago

I've lived in Dallas my whole life. I spent 3 years in CA for a great job opportunity. Eventually I moved back, compelled by housing and family issues.

- Housing in CA is an absolute bloodsport. It is very difficult to find a reasonable place to live and if renting, difficult to keep.
    - The taxes are indeed nightmarish. I made the mistake of bringing a car into the state I purchased 11 months prior and almost had to pay $5500 in "use tax" for the privilege. I was able to get this waived but it was close.
    - Crime is substantially worse in CA. I was warned never to leave electronics in my car and I witnessed a live robbery at a Comcast store getting a cablemodem set up.

All that being said...my 3 years there were the best of my life. I miss the weather, the people, the political climate and the substantially better job opportunities.

I consider my time in CA a net win, but I wish I'd gotten out there sooner in life (when living in a tiny apartment wouldn't bother me.)

#366 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

It doesn't matter to some people, they watch one news source and/or have one disgruntled buddy and that is their basis to extrapolate their "facts" to millions of people over a large swath of land. Apparently we must all be insanely stupid for living in California because it has to be all homeless people on fire with needles sticking out of everyone all the time 24/7 because their media of choice says so.
    I should have expected that in this thread though. I just looked again at the poll and noticed two options for "no", that should have been my clue that this was never a real thread asking a genuine question and instead it was yet another "let's bash on California" thread on Pinside. My mistake, I should have caught that and totally ignored this thread. But then again I have no idea why I even bother with this forum anymore, the pattern of hate and misinformation is patently clear, I should just cull it and move on. There's other places to talk Pinball that aren't littered with this nonsense and indoctrinated thinking.

I know what you mean and living in Texas I am well aware of the CA scare tactics.

I really liked living in CA, I just got into the state too late in life to strap on a $1.5M mortgage for 30 years.

#430 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I always hear about this mass exodus from California (strange to hear since the population keeps going up). You can't get a 1000 sq. foot ranch in the San Fernando valley near the 101 for under 800K. Must be desirable to a whole lot of people despite all of the Texas hype.
    California is paradise. That's why so many people flock to it and why it is so expensive. The midwest is flyover country for a reason. I know. I live there.

Absolutely true. CA is paradise and the jobs are substantially better. The housing is the real bummer though. Pay 10x what it’s worth everywhere else.

#435 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Nonsense
    These 2 in Frisco Tx are comparable to mine...10x would put me at 15m
    If this were true I’d have enough left over to buy your soul
    [quoted image]

I left a 2004 1940sq ft house that I bought new for 155k.
    I rented a 1958 1722sq ft house until the owner decided to sell and offered it to me for 1.5M. I declined.

So for me it was around 10x more for a smaller and much less nice house.

When you start looking at 1.5M homes in Texas, the numbers change and you're probably looking at 4x for a comparable CA home.

#436 3 years ago

Put another way, look at those homes you referenced for 1.5M - mansions, with pools and lots of land, etc.

1.5M in Silicon Valley is a barely passable house. Definitely nothing fancy.

#438 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Not even close. Certain parts of the Bay Area and so cal yes...but for the rest of the state, those 2 houses would be worth the same here or less

Fair enough. The Bay Area is my CA frame of reference which is for sure batshit crazy.
    I wish it wasn't so, I loved living there despite the lower standard of (house) living.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-living-in-ca-worth-it?tu=zaphX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.