Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 641 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Xscrapiron
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is living in Ca. worth it?”

• Yes 48 votes
      24%
    • No 38 votes
      19%
    • Hell No! 113 votes
      57%

(199 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BD139CD3-C7EE-4F57-8748-80C26B4AEBFF (resized).png
    79CDFD3B-1595-4373-942A-5DE553F491D8 (resized).png
    walter1 (resized).jpg
    worldpopgr.gif
    B2C6D2B1-716F-48AB-9DA8-B0190B738585 (resized).jpeg
    A0A16A9A-F071-4622-BD47-0D3BB6E2F2B0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20150806_123403 (resized).jpg
    87FC6777-5D77-4F27-ACBF-C7F954A79D9A.gif
    21AF42B4-AE5E-40B0-931A-E70AB4F011F8 (resized).png
    5039201D-5667-462D-857A-21154253F4F0 (resized).jpeg
    D73C2D39-A785-4D98-B757-A19A2767DF60 (resized).png
    1C3FA4F3-2D36-4B11-B2A3-7EFA2C43DF4B (resized).jpeg
    28BD812E-EAA5-45F2-A25B-7E932CD6402C (resized).jpeg
    P-2401--Full-Front-Open-v2--500w (resized).jpg
    2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider merccat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

We never put front plates on our cars. Never been pulled over for it.

I have been. Fixit ticket... had to buy plates because the other plate was missing and then buy a front frame kit, install it and drive to the CHP for inspection.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Prop 13 allows me to keep my 1998 property taxes. The beach and snow is only a short drive away. I'll never leave.

I wouldn’t count on that staying a whole lot longer. There are groups currently actively looking to dismantle Prop 13. It will start with businesses but won’t end there.

For those not familiar, the concept of Prop 13 is that they can only increase our assessed value for property tax by a limited percentage per year as long as you own the property (a sale resets the assessment). It allows homeowners to retain some stability and not be forced to sell their home due to suddenly no longer being able to afford the property tax for no fault of their own. It also allows businesses to project out with confidence that expense. One of the few tax statutes we have that actually makes sense.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

CA also has a rule that if you sell your house, you can KEEP your same taxes from the old house. I forget the specifics, but you have to be like 55 years old and it has to be a participating county nearby.

Over 55, has to be downsizing and participating country (probably other stipulations too) The rule was designed for seniors needing to downsize but being stuck because a tax hike would price them out.

Quoted from metallik:

Which means the owner will likely die on their property before selling, reducing supply.

They still have to live somewhere if they get forced out of their home due to it suddenly becoming unaffordable, net zero effect... unless the idea is to force them onto the street or out of the state.

#165 3 years ago

I think at the end of the day my summary of CA is.... it’s complicated.

There is a ton... a TON here that is awesome (people, climate, geography)... earthquakes are not a concern (other than a couple areas)... wildfires are probably our biggest threat from a natural disaster perspective, but for most of the state the impact is the August smoke. I think most our problems are self-inflicted, but... it keeps life interesting?

Do I have family who have left? Yes and they are very happy with that choice.

Am I leaving: No plans, but maybe someday? I’ll reassess when I get closer to retirement.

Would I move here: Probably not, but that is coming from the perspective of being presently irritated by all the smoke and just wanting to see the sun again, so maybe. I’m also presently irritated by the fact that I installed solar, produce a surplus of electricity over what I use, keep our thermostat over 80 most of the time and still am getting stung with a $500 tru-up bill from Edison. So.... bah!

#205 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

How much is fire insurance in California? Just curious.

I’m sure it varies by location. I have a 1600sqft rental worth about 250k and the policy is fire only. That costs about 600/year which is about half what the full coverage policy was when I was living there.

Our our wildfire risk in this area is zero though. Areas that is a risk in might need a separate add-on for wildfire coverage, not sure? I know some areas you want earthquake insurance (expensive in SF)... some areas you need flood insurance (if determined to be in a flood plain).

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

A perfect example of this is my parents...they paid $120K for their house in 1974....my Dads property taxes are like $1400 a year.....the house next door just sold for $3.5M....his property taxes will be closer to $36K per year.....so in summary is my Dad paying too little ...you bet, but the neighbor is paying way too much....so yea it evens itself out....

And that allows your dad to stay in his home that I’m sure was completely affordable when he bought it and wouldn’t necessarily be today. Such a difference is short term though as at some point your dad will want to downsize or move on and the house will be sold. Now the new owners will be paying the full amount whereas the folks who bought today will have the “cheap” tax assuming they stay. And the cycle will repeat.

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Prices have gone up pretty much everywhere...that is what happens when money is "cheap".

I think this is one of the bigger factors in the market over the last decade or two.

It goes like this:
    - Most people shop based on a monthly payment they can afford.
    - There are two factors that determine that payment: a) how much you spend on a house and b) how much your interest rate is.
    - You slash the interest rate and suddenly all the buyers across the entire market can afford more, a lot more actually. Depending on where they started in the market at minimum 75k more and probably on average about 150k more while keeping the exact same monthly payment.

- If all the buyers in the market can suddenly afford to spend 150k more without impacting their original budget.... well the market will react accordingly. Is that good or bad? The money is getting spent either way: it depends on who you would rather get it... the bank and their stockholders or the property owners/sellers.

- Here in CA the effect is amplified because we restrict new home construction and have area where there is literally no more space to build at all (SF).

Granted oversimplified and not the only factor but I think it is a significant one that people should be conscious of whether you are a buyer or a seller.

#243 3 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

So what is the tax on a new pinball machine in California?

Depends on county/city the sale is made in (assuming a california dealer) because locality adds their own sales tax. If bought from an out of state dealer you self report based on your local city/county.

I would count on about 9%

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

What about paranormal activity (Ghosts)?
    What about deaths in the house (natural or otherwise)?

Yes to deaths (within criteria, not sure the details).

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Well we pay 13% on all goods and services pinball, clothes, groceries included, approx 1% assessed value of home in property tax and up to 52% combined prov and fed income tax. If you are in the top tax bracket and own a decent home, you can potentially pay over 70% of your income on all the different taxes. Not sure how that compares to California but I doubt it can beat that. But we have free healthcare.

Yeah you probably have us beat but maybe we can get close...

Before even getting my paycheck the following istaken out:

State Income tax for median income about 10%

Federal income tax is 10-40% depending on income.

There is state disability insurance, social security and medicare taken out.

My net check is about 65% of my gross.

Then we have sales tax on goods and services which does range but can be as high as 10.5% in some locations (8.5% where I live).

Then there are the hidden taxes. Fees added to almost every service/utility on top of sales tax.... Licensing fees, public utility fees, registration fees, permitting, zoning, surveying, gas tax (in addition to sales tax), recycling fees, electronics fees, etc. These all get added into the costs of our goods whether we see them itemized out or not.

It’s really hard to say, and it will vary by individual circumstances. Having it all over though does make you feel like you are being nickle and dimed to death, I would prefer a tax that is clear, known and up front.

1 week later
    #337 3 years ago

This mornings air in the Valley... joy.

All the smoke is reducing our temps by about 10 degrees, so.... yay?

FFCCC02D-3E7A-465B-B935-0CB041ACB3C3 (resized).jpegFFCCC02D-3E7A-465B-B935-0CB041ACB3C3 (resized).jpeg
    #346 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

OMG, Folgers is awful. I spend well over $108 per month for coffee. One thing I can't skimp on is coffee.

I agree, but it’s better than Uban *barf*.

I can’t justify spending over 15/month on coffee either, nor can I stand coffee shops in general (going out of my way to wait in line to pay 3 bucks for regular coffee that was brewer two hours ago, no thanks).

My middle ground is good whole beans, a decent conical burr grinder (for consistent, even grinds) and a good drip coffee maker with a metal screen (paper absorbs the oils and fats that exist in coffee thus killing some of the flavor). Anyway it’s literally 3 minutes to good coffee anytime I want.

#375 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Ill say it again, living on a fault line.
    No thanks, after a few years it wore on me (I did see Northridge firsthand earlier though) ... and I loved loving there.
    no one in Cali is all that concerned?
    I find that pretty interesting.

Not concerned here. No nearby fault lines and the soil composition in the valley absorbs any shockwaves very well. Maybe once every 10-15 years or so I’ll actually notice one but only if I happen to be sitting perfectly still at the time.

We do have a new fancypants “early alert” system. A few months back there was one I noticed and I got a text notification about 45 seconds.... after the fact.

So... no earthquakes (in this region), no floods, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no freezing, no sunami’s, no fires (as long as you choose not to live in the mountains or canyons).... just hot summers and bad air.

It always amuses me how worried non Californian’s are about earthquakes. I’m sure the news makes it out to be much worse than it is when we do have one that makes the news. After all their job is to scare you into staying home and watching more news.

#456 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

The whole topic of the power situation in CA could be a big thread of its own with plenty of arguments. But basically these days when it gets super hot, in Socal the power company requests everyone to dial it down, especially between 3 and 7. Amazingly, everyone did pretty well on this and blackouts were minimal when we had that bad heat streak a few days ago. The central valley and NorCal are different, they have PG&E and because of the giant mess of the Camp fire they perform mandatory shutdowns in high risk areas with the goal of not starting more fires. So large swaths will just go without power, sometimes for extended periods.
    All that said, as of right now in Socal things are pretty good, temps are way down. It’s around 72 or so.
    Basically, it’s around 70-75 here about 340 days a year. It’s around 100 or so maybe 15 days. On the other 10 days it rains.

Temps are great here in the valley right now too. Its averaging 85 and forecasted to stay in that range for a while. We really only have about 6-8 weeks where the heat is really unbearable and thats what air conditioning is for.

The power situation is obnoxious. I have solar and I produce more than I use but because of the price structure I still have a high true up bill at the end of the year. Not enough to justify a battery system but with the 20% rate hike they are asking for (and will probably get rubber stamped) now it might get there.

#462 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

What can be done in the future to slow down the amount of forest that burns?

No one thing but better forrest management can help. We stopped about 20 years ago then bark beetles gourged themselves, then there were large amounts of dead dry and rotten trees left hanging around with nobody to remove them and then poof. At least when we had logging an area would get harvested, cleaned and replanted. Growing up my grandparents had a house near Eureka in the forrest. I remember being amazed at how quickly a lot would grow back after being cleared and replanted.

For homes in wooded areas, better defensible space, materials and construction/design can help improve odds somewhat but won’t guarantee anything.

#463 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

If you want my answer? Nothing.

True, nothing will stop them, it is part of the natural cycle of the forrest. All you have to do is look at how the native trees evolved to survive and even depend on fire. I think it can be slowed and made more manageable though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider merccat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-living-in-ca-worth-it?tu=merccat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.