Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 641 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Xscrapiron
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is living in Ca. worth it?”

• Yes 48 votes
      24%
    • No 38 votes
      19%
    • Hell No! 113 votes
      57%

(199 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BD139CD3-C7EE-4F57-8748-80C26B4AEBFF (resized).png
    79CDFD3B-1595-4373-942A-5DE553F491D8 (resized).png
    walter1 (resized).jpg
    worldpopgr.gif
    B2C6D2B1-716F-48AB-9DA8-B0190B738585 (resized).jpeg
    A0A16A9A-F071-4622-BD47-0D3BB6E2F2B0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20150806_123403 (resized).jpg
    87FC6777-5D77-4F27-ACBF-C7F954A79D9A.gif
    21AF42B4-AE5E-40B0-931A-E70AB4F011F8 (resized).png
    5039201D-5667-462D-857A-21154253F4F0 (resized).jpeg
    D73C2D39-A785-4D98-B757-A19A2767DF60 (resized).png
    1C3FA4F3-2D36-4B11-B2A3-7EFA2C43DF4B (resized).jpeg
    28BD812E-EAA5-45F2-A25B-7E932CD6402C (resized).jpeg
    P-2401--Full-Front-Open-v2--500w (resized).jpg
    2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PtownPin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

These yearly fires producing smoke particles which get lodged deep into your lungs potentially setting you up for long term health problems...especially unfair to children with small developing lungs...animals too
    My dog knows something is very wrong...she’s acting in a very suggestive manner
    [quoted image]

Where do you live? This type of stuff happens all over the country? whether its fires, floods, hurricanes, etc....theres no perfect place

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I don’t think a lot of people realize the scale of the state. So many people from other states are always worried I am about to burn up. As bad as it all is right now, all of that is about as far away as if your were living in NY and there was a fire in Maine.
    There is a huge diversity as far as what it’s like in different areas. Southern California is different than Northern California. Central California is more different. Even in just SoCal you can live at the beach, in the desert, in the mountains, and everything in between.
    In NorCal SF is different from San Jose, which is different from the valley, and so on. Go north from SF/Sacramento and you still have hundreds and hundreds of miles of wide open land.
    SoCal is basically a complete desert with far too many people living there, all stealing the water from NorCal (in NorCal people’s’ minds). In SoCal it isn’t unusual to have zero rain over a span of 8 months. In the northernmost part of the state, annual rainfall approaches 50 inches.
    There are forests that stretch forever. There is all of Yosemite and Mammoth. There are hundreds of miles of Pacific Ocean coastline.
    There are some really really nice places to live, depending on what you like. My preference if I could get there would be Central a California, north of Santa Barbara in the San Luis Obispo area. That is a totally different living vibe than being in crowded SoCal.
    So, it it worth it? If you can afford the overpriced real estate to get where you would like to be, maybe so. The weather is ridiculously and consistently good. There are tons of things to do. Some things are expensive, but not everything. Most people, in general, are nice. There is a lot of diversity and always has been, and it seems to be no big issue for everyone to get along.
    The biggest downsides? First and foremost, water. It is a major limiting factor, and that probably can’t be improved much. Continual expansion of population only makes this worse.
    Second? The absolute dumbest and worst group of politicians on the face of the earth. In the end you get what you vote for, so I suppose this is what most of the people want. If you are a business owner, an entrepreneur, a hard worker, or anyone who actually makes a contribution to society, the levels of government control and taxation are onerous. Everyday citizens have basically no rights or protections, and criminals are well-loved and allowed to do whatever they want with no punishment. This is the main reason many people leave.
    My final note. At least among people that I generally come across, by far the number one topic of discussion is this: where can we go to get the hell out of here???!

I've been here my entire life, and without a doubt the biggest downside is we are taxed to death

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

And btw...you do know this whole argument is ridiculous, right? There are advantages and disadvantages to living everywhere. You pick what's important to you and go where you want to go. It's all personal preference and what kind of taxes you can actually afford.

No doubt....every place has its pros and cons...

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'll be honest. It's mentally taxing for Conservatives living in the Bay Area and LA.

Thats an understatement

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

Are there still Californians in California? Pretty sure they all moved to Wyoming and bought up everything this summer. They brought the smoke with them, too.
    I'm hoping to reverse immigrate and live in NorCal someday.

Yep....the good news if u do immigrate u won't freeze to death in January

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

Left the Bay Area and moved to Vegas a little over a year ago. The Bay will always have a place in my heart, and I do miss my family and friends back there, but you couldn't get me to move back. My mortgage payment is cut in half, for a brand new home that's almost 1000 square feet larger. I don't have to sit in traffic just to drive 2 miles. No state tax. Lower property tax. Lower everything.
    Mind you, Vegas has it's issues as well (what city doesn't), but the good far outweighs the bad, for us at least.

Pretty common theme why people leave NorCal....the cost of living is really high....and getting higher and higher with all the egregious taxes we have to pay....A small example of this is I was in Idaho last month and gas was over $1 gallon cheaper due to all the BS taxes we have to pay....the only thing thats actually lower than most states is property tax, which is set at 1% + (more BS local fees) of purchase price

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

left 3 1/2 years ago. Live just north of Chattanooga. It's an amazing place, green and most are really nice. Unfortunately may go back to California as that is where all our friends and family are.
    Cons moving back.
    1. Couldn't have a yard sale without thieves. I have video of teamwork thieves and even using their kids to steal or cause distractions.
    2. Trash everywhere along the roads. Dirty diapers in parking lots. More graffiti than I have seen anywhere else. Hwy 101 and 25 are just garbage.
    3. Fires and bad air during them. Not good for those with lung issues.
    4. Taxes and permit fees are ridiculous.
    5. Crime. When I worked for Verizon the thieves would steal the copper wire from the backup generators over in the Valley. Vandalism higher. Empty houses ransacked while up for sale. Leave your car on the side of the road for a few hours to arrange towing and come back to find all the windows smashed.
    6. Corner beggars 100x more than anywhere else I have been.
    7. Everything is in Spanish anymore. I had awesome Spanish friends there that never tried to shove that down your throat and were very respectful but that is no longer the case with the recent generation and influx of illegals.
    8. Water issues.
    9. Utility rolling blackouts. Getting back up generator permits cost has skyrocketed because they know they can bleed you because of it.
    10. Home Depot and Lowe's parking lots full of those looking for day cash jobs. Don't see that here.
    11. HOA and CCR rules are like buying a home and giving all your rights to the committee. I'll plant the tree I want thank you.
    12. Forget going to Oakland. Do I really have to spell it out.
    13. San Francisco has turned into a cesspool unless you like feces and urine. So sad. Can't visit there safe anymore.
    14. LA...no thanks.
    15. Gang activity is high.
    16. Seems the drug activity is higher. Everywhere has the problem but CA seems worse. Maybe because it is a known gateway.
    17. Gas prices. I paid $1.87 today here.
    18. Bullying in schools. Not tolerated here. It's dealt with quickly. Parents here will beat your ass.
    19. The only flags normally seen are the American flag and state flags unless you are watching the protesters on the news. The Confederate flag is rarely seen here although I originally thought you might see it more. Mostly at the battlefield parks. An occasional one shows up on the back of a truck or motorcycle. In CA Mexican flags are everywhere.
    20. Because of the economy there everyone is pinching every penny they can. Here they offer to give you a beverage to go at no extra cost.
    21. I could on. Especially when it comes to manners.
    Pros.
    1. Family is there. Miss them.
    2 Friends are there. Miss them.
    3. Less humidity. July and August here suck.
    4. Depending on where you are most things you desire are only a couple hours drive.
    5. Best Mexican food I have ever had. The Mexicans that work here in restaurants I think are impostors. Everything is shredded and blah.
    6. Pinball Shows there are really fun. Awesome guys and gals.
    7. Ranch fixathons at Paicines with all the guys.
    8. My Dads grave is in Reno and I miss stopping by.
    9. The ocean.
    10. Santa Cruz mountains.
    11. Favorite Italian restaurants are in the San Jose area.
    12. Highway 80 from Roseville to Reno. Best drive anywhere.
    It would not be until 2022 but its possible. Probably somewhere around highway 49 or 50.

Man u must have lived in a rough neighborhood ...

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Significant reason why both taxes and property values in CA are f*cked.

Huh? what are u talking about?

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I wouldn’t count on that staying a whole lot longer. There are groups currently actively looking to dismantle Prop 13. It will start with businesses but won’t end there.
    For those not familiar, the concept of Prop 13 is that they can only increase our assessed value for property tax by a limited percentage per year as long as you own the property (a sale resets the assessment). It allows homeowners to retain some stability and not be forced to sell their home due to suddenly no longer being able to afford the property tax for no fault of their own. It also allows businesses to project out with confidence that expense. One of the few tax statutes we have that actually makes sense.

They've been talking about that for years....I doubt it will ever happen

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

Salinas, Alisal, Hollister. Did not have the luxury of living in Carmel. Where I lived they took out the long lot single homes that were built before 1950 and put in apartments. Crammed all those families in them. Alisal became a nightmare. Look it up. Very sad.

All those places can be a little rough....I grew up in Los Gatos...

#156 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Unequal tax burden when some properties aren't taxes at their true value. If the tax break passes to the next owner, the unequal burden continues... if it's revoked upon sale, the existing owner has less incentive to sell which pushes values higher. Shouldn't grandfather crazy low tax rates. If the government is efficient, the overall tax cost shouldn't rise much if all property is taxed at same rate.

Values are higher because of simple supply and demand. There isn't a lot of land your allowed to build on and simply obtaining building permits costs in excess of $100K (City Fees) per unit. The crazy cost of housing (in some areas not all) in California has nothing to do with property taxes. If an owner who paid $100K for his house in 1970 pays a little over $1000 a year in property taxes. If that owner sells his house for $1M those property taxes increase to over $10K per year.

#160 3 years ago

Which means the owner will likely die on their property before selling, reducing supply. I agree those other factors you listed contribute to the problem, especially rules against multifamily housing and land restrictions, but incentivizing folks not to sell also pushes prices higher. Also forces other people to make up the tax burden. That all screws with an otherwise free market. CA's weather will always make it desirable but shouldn't be as crazy as it is right now.</blockquote

I'm not disagreeing with you that its nuts, but its been this way for 30-40 years....unless the weather changes, jobs go away, local governments change the rules, and all of sudden the environmentalist allow u to develop more land its gonna continue on its same trajectory. I highly doubt selling or not selling your house has anything to do with increased property taxes.

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

You just proved my point... you're not selling because of prop13. It breaks the market. The bit about dying there was fluff, but the real result is the bidding wars you mention on the few properties that do come to market, crazy high prices overall and crazy high taxes on some but not all people.
    I also agree that repealing it now would break the market even more... y'all are stuck with it. My original comment that it screwed up the market stands true. The fact Sacramento is incompetent isn't really a factor, prop13 was a citizen petition, was it not?

You don't have a very deep understanding of the market if u think prop 13 is whats holding it back...people who sell are typically moving up (bigger house), relocating due to a job or better schools or they are simply moving out of state....yes they are a few people who don't sell due to property taxes (typically older), but my guess is its a small part of the market segment. Prop13 evens itself out...as some pay high, and some pay low (living in the same neighborhood)

#188 3 years ago

I'm actually flying to ID in 2 weeks to scope out eagle, meridian, boise for potential relocation.

I'm in Idaho 6-8 times a year....been going for 20+ years to fly fish and ski. Boise is a really nice town, and to be honest not as cold as the places I typically visit (Sun Valley, and Jackson Hole).....at least in Boise the winters are tolerable

#203 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Neighbors surrounding me paid in the high 200,000s on my street in 1980s. Next to them person paid 1.2 million. This is how it works. We are closer to high end than low end. We have to make more money just to keep up with the Jones's who bought 30 plus years before me. Funny to me. People who live elsewhere complaining about living here. Because people living elsewhere who moved here helped create this mess.

A perfect example of this is my parents...they paid $120K for their house in 1974....my Dads property taxes are like $1400 a year.....the house next door just sold for $3.5M....his property taxes will be closer to $36K per year.....so in summary is my Dad paying too little ...you bet, but the neighbor is paying way too much....so yea it evens itself out....

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

And that allows your dad to stay in his home that I’m sure was completely affordable when he bought it and wouldn’t necessarily be today. Such a difference is short term though as at some point your dad will want to downsize or move on and the house will be sold. Now the new owners will be paying the full amount whereas the folks who bought today will have the “cheap” tax assuming they stay. And the cycle will repeat.

Yep....he's evaluating that option as we speak....at some point it becomes too much house for someone of his age to maintain....plus it has stairs which is problematic for the elderly

#211 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

No way I would live there. Some good people taking up residence, but to me that state is like a wound that spreads throughout the rest of the .USA.

Thats a little harsh....I get some people are jealous of the real estate price appreciation we have in California....for most people who live here it ends up being their retirement nest egg

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I think this is one of the bigger factors in the market over the last decade or two.
    It goes like this:
    - Most people shop based on a monthly payment they can afford.
    - There are two factors that determine that payment: a) how much you spend on a house and b) how much your interest rate is.
    - You slash the interest rate and suddenly all the buyers across the entire market can afford more, a lot more actually. Depending on where they started in the market at minimum 75k more and probably on average about 150k more while keeping the exact same monthly payment.
    - If all the buyers in the market can suddenly afford to spend 150k more without impacting their original budget.... well the market will react accordingly. Is that good or bad? The money is getting spent either way: it depends on who you would rather get it... the bank and their stockholders or the property owners/sellers.
    - Here in CA the effect is amplified because we restrict new home construction and have area where there is literally no more space to build at all (SF).
    Granted oversimplified and not the only factor but I think it is a significant one that people should be conscious of whether you are a buyer or a seller.

What people don't understand that in California processing projects comes at a big price and risk. Just simply getting projects approved for construction is big money, and is almost 100% political. For example it might cost you $100K per house just to get it approved (CEQA, planning, construction docs, etc)...on top of that it could cost over $100K just in impact fees (sewar, water, schools, traffic, affordable housing, etc), and another $150K for infrastructure costs....so your $350K in the hole before you put a stick in the ground. These costs are driven by the environmental requirements, and local city costs.

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

This post and it’s upvote ratio tells you everything you need to know about pinside’s demographics. Right wingers on here whine all day about perceived political grievances when they make up 80% of pinside members. Projection.

Spoken from a true left winger....

#239 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Really? Come on... I haven't been around here a long time but I've been around long enough to know Pinside is absolutely anything but a liberal enclave. That doesn't make pinside bad and it doesn't make its membership bad either, it's just a fact. Trying to argue otherwise is intellectually dishonest at best.
    Some of the themes in this thread are appalling and have absolutely zero fucking place on this forum. Period. I'd love to say more but I won't, this isn't the time or place and I wish some of you took that into consideration before you started typing.
    Jeff

Hey I'm not the one who brought up politics....it was the other guy

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Utah, Idaho, and Nevada I get. But how do Californians do when they get to Texas? You'd think the god-awful humidity would kill 'em off within a season or two.

If weather is a consideration than the reality is you won't find better weather than California. If you move out of state its a trade off between the humidity and the cold....Texas is hot and humid, Utah and Idaho are cold in the winter...everything is a trade off...people make personal decisions based on their likes and dislikes. I love Idaho, but the parts I love are really, really cold in the winter.

#261 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

Knowledge shared by a guy I met in California... There are a million reasons to leave California, but the weather isn’t one of them

I don't know about a million, but there are a lot.....pros and cons to every place...i.e. AZ is great in the winter....August is another story to each their own

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Actually my place in northern Az. Williams gets quite cold in the winter at 6,700 ft. it gets a bit more snow than my place here in Lake Arrowhead at 5,700 ft.
    The snow is colder and drier in Az. but other than that basically the same weather.
    It is 76 in Williams right now, 76 in Arrowhead.
    Williams averages 74 inches of snow per year. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year.
    Arrowhead gets less, 40-50 inches and it melts faster.

I'm sure thats true, but its 115 in Phoenix .....

#298 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Not true.
    We have basements here just not as many as back east/midwest.
    My house has a basement and I would never live in a slab on grade home.
    I grew up in one and they are hard on your back and knees.
    Most homes up here have either a build up or a basement.

Yea, but a very small percentage of houses have basements in California. Typically due to costs and water tables. That being said I love basements, and wish they were more common out West. ITs a great space for storage, game rooms, gyms, etc....

#321 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

More like 12-18 months.

That can get expensive. In the Atlanta area even you get some crazy tree huggers that even though you have all the permits and the right to take down some trees, you may have to pay off duty police to arrest people trying to handcuff themselves to trees.
    Trust me, I am in the construction trade, and I know a lot of crazy things you can run into.
    With that said, I wish you the best of luck!
    I hope everything goes 100% problem free and on budget for you!
    BUT, if you go ahead and plan for every single thing to take twice as long, and cost twice as much...well, if things actually go as planned you will always be very happy.
    BUT, if you stay a tad concerned about it, you will get by better if a problem/s happens.

Tree huggers are everywhere ... on one of my development projects we had people living in the trees for 3 months before the city finally arrested them ... removing trees can be really easy or incredibly time consuming and expensive .... assuming its not a mansion, site prep isn't too much, there aren't weather constraints (he bought off of highway 49 which is in the mountains), and u have a good city/county to work with u can probably get a occupancy permit in under 12 months....but I agree that 12-18 is more realistic especially with weather constraints.

#323 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

My midwestern woman is ok with Folgers and me every morning She would rather spend money on pins!
    Coffee $108 per year
    [quoted image]

she's definitely a keeper

#329 3 years ago

Yup...not worth it...air quality worst it’s ever been in history today...flat out Hazardous for anything living. If you are anywhere but here, be thankful!
    [quoted image]

Holy shit....where do you live...thats terrible ...that being said its not the norm as theres fires brewing all over the state at the moment

#332 3 years ago

Near Folsom Granite bay...it’s disgusting...I’m depressed...seriously[quoted image]

wow thats rough....depending on the winds its been up and down in the Bay Area....seems to get worse as the day gets long....the worse I've seen is 160, but nothing close to 400+

#338 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

This mornings air in the Valley... joy.
    All the smoke is reducing our temps by about 10 degrees, so.... yay?
    [quoted image]

The air quality index in the Bay Area (at least in my City) is 68, but u can still see and smell the smoke in the air....

#348 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

OMG, Folgers is awful. I spend well over $108 per month for coffee. One thing I can't skimp on is coffee.

Its awesome when your camping on a river in Alaska

#358 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Then why are people fleeing CA and NY for places like TN and TX? In my neighborhood, the last 4 houses sold the new owners are from - 2 CA, 1 NY, and 1 OR. My mom just sold her house yesterday, guess what? NY native leaving the cesspool was his exact words. If you like it then do your thing, but the stats do not lie.

Trust me nobody is fleeing California....year after year the population continues to grow. People cash out and move to places that have a much lower cost of living.

#362 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

We have people leaving for sure.... but we also have plenty coming into the state. I live in Northern California less than an hour north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Our area is having crazy home price inflation from the people in the city coming to live here. We had a bad fire in 2017 and lost 5500 homes and only about half of those have been rebuilt. We haven't seen a mass exodus of people but have had a few people leave. Most of them were close to retirement and sold their expensive homes to move to another lower cost of living state for retirement. It's a plan I hear from a lot of people and have heard for years. You pay off your 1 million dollar plus bay area home and move to Texas, Utah, Tennessee, etc and pay cash for a house and the rest goes into your retirement savings. I've only known a couple people who left outside of this type of move.

Thats essentially formula...retirement + kids out school = cash out and live a nice life in an area that has a much lower cost of living...

#383 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

really? the whole state is on a fault line and no Californians care?
    I didnt get concerned because of the news.. I did because I went and looked at the aftermath of Northridge and was not far when it happened at 4 am or whatever it was. Google some pics of the highway system after that and then remind me that no one cared?
    It wasnt even "the big one" and its still one of the costliest natural disasters in history.
    All it took for me was one long talk with someone who studies these things for a living and I was done.

I'm not sure you have any idea what your talking about. The whole state is definitely not on a fault, and there are building standards in Cal that attempt to address potential earth quakes. Along with that you can't build on fault lines as most jurisdictions won't allow it due to the geotech issues. Yes some are close, and yes that could be a potential concern as is with many issue people deal with in and out of California.

#387 3 years ago

OK Ill clarify... any part of California I would live in is on a fault line or close enough.

Sorry, but I still don't think you understand! Where do you live?

#393 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

As a child I was mesmerized by California..wooow the Golden State if only my parents can move there please please please... 40 years later how the narrative has changed ... Not even as a layover or connecting flight would I set foot in that pathetic State !

You do realize you live in Canada

#396 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

And the great State of Florida...

Happy u like it...been there dozens of times....happy I got to leave

#401 3 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

You'll have to forgive him. He's French. Low on manners and high on himself.
    QSS

Quoted from marlboroman:

I guess you figured it out after 12 times

Florida has some redeeming qualities as does most places.....calling anywhere pathetic is just being an asshole

#406 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

I actually was being truthful and nice calling the state of California Pathetic! Anyone can prove me otherwise with their welcomed opinion.

Its all good in my eyes...what your exposing is how naive you are...California is a massive state, and is very different north to south or east to west. The advantage is the state offers just about any environment one would want...jobs, no jobs, traffic, no traffic, beaches, mountains, lakes, desert, hot, cold, dry, wet, etc...its all over the map. Each individual can pick and choose whats important in their livelihood.

#408 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I think California is a great state,with so much natural beauty.I think the problem is some of the political viewpoints that come from the politicians.It’s called the left coast for more then its orientation.Oregon has a lot of the same left views and look at it now.

The left coast comment is very true. Especially if your referring to Northern California....SoCal is far more conservative that NorCal

#412 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

Whatever ... defender her all you want facts are facts it’s a Bankrupt state! I could go on and on and on and on ...but I’ll stop here.

now your just showing how little you actually know....please go on and on....

#419 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I always hear about this mass exodus from California (strange to hear since the population keeps going up). You can't get a 1000 sq. foot ranch in the San Fernando valley near the 101 for under 800K. Must be desirable to a whole lot of people despite all of the Texas hype.
    California is paradise. That's why so many people flock to it and why it is so expensive. The midwest is flyover country for a reason. I know. I live there.

To each their own right....I've been all over the world, and found out pretty quickly that every place has its pros and cons. Whether your on the west coast, midwest, or east coast. They all have their pros and cons....no place is better than another....its a personal choice

#420 3 years ago
    Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Dont forget, the Central Valley is more conservative than the Bay Area too.

Thats true...I was referring to the inner Bay Area, which is very liberal

#425 3 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Superglue it ya pansy. I’ve done much worse and kept working. You nine fingered snowflakes...

Funny....I was Alaska a few years a go fly fishing in the middle of no where. I cut my palm really bad and had to super glue it back together....it stung like a bitch, but it worked .... went to the doctor when I got home, and he said it was healing fine and that stitches weren't required.

#428 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Shouldn’t the California folks be powered down to conserve energy per the governor? How are all you guys/gals on pinside right now?

Our Governor is a douche bag.....I don't think power is an issue at the moment...temps are back to normal ...high 70's low 80's

#432 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Absolutely true. CA is paradise and the jobs are substantially better. The housing is the real bummer though. Pay 10x what it’s worth everywhere else.

I don't know about 10X, but I hear ya....

#433 3 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I’ve patched up a broken toe with plaster of Paris, , broken rib with tightly wound bandages, glued my forehead back together at work. New Hampshire healthcare at its finest.
    Sorry about the fires over there. That’s scary shit.

Thats nuts I was in the middle of no where so either I had to get helicoptered out or suck it up .... it was day 2 of a 8 day trip so I sucked it up....

#444 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I left a 2004 1940sq ft house that I bought new for 155k.
    I rented a 1958 1722sq ft house until the owner decided to sell and offered it to me for 1.5M. I declined.
    So for me it was around 10x more for a smaller and much less nice house.
    When you start looking at 1.5M homes in Texas, the numbers change and you're probably looking at 4x for a comparable CA home.

Your not wrong....in the Bay Area land is whats really expensive...empty .25+ acre lots (which is a big lot for a new home) sell for over $1M in my area...and then if u want to build a custom home your talking $300-$400 a square foot....it adds up pretty quick....areas that are close to job centers, and have good schools are pricey. That being said there are many parts of California that are far less expensive. My buddy in Utah has a nice home thats 4K square feet and he paid $400K....he laughs at our home pricing.

#445 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

do you think I give a shit what you think? Its obvious truth hurts for you.

No, but believe or not I care even less what u think....clearly your delusional

#459 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Maybe you can explain the continued violence and why your at it explain this wimp Mayor Wheeler

That guy is an embarrassment

#466 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

What a sad attempt to write/speak French you are waaaaay off. You know nothing about Montréal over taxed just like Cali, garbage, urine everywhere just like shit hole San Fransisco, potholes the size of a toilet bowl, <edited> careful what you wish for california !

the world you describe does not exist in my area

#472 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

I like that little disclaimer "my area"...lol In general California has gone down the tubes and I never had to continue trashing it nor proving it, just have a look at the posts from californians before this one and it says it all... uhh maybe 15% of it. The smart ones understood it and are fleeing to Texas.

Not even sure what that means....my point was road maintenance i.e. pot holes, homeless, etc is dealt with on a local level (City / county) in California so yes it can vary by City or county....but of course you already knew that since your an expert on all things California

#488 3 years ago

Air quality is back to normal in the Bay Area today...it was in the high teens this morning....over the weekend it was 170

#490 3 years ago

I’m so happy. Been out trimming my tomatoes all morning...more on that later
    [quoted image]

Its moving in the right direction

#501 3 years ago

On vacation in ID right now. Mighty tempted to move here.

Go back in January than tell us how u feel

#504 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Is that what makes the drivers so horrible? They love clogging up the passing lane. Gotta drive like Frogger to get anywhere in decent time.

The entire state is flat as a board....

#511 3 years ago

without wasting time reading this article...most of the issue is bad forest management, which falls on both the state and federal level

#512 3 years ago
    Quoted from wtuttle:

Funny when a guy, norcalrealtor, is "on vacation" ie: "climate refugee" but still disputes what's happening. Hope Idaho is treating you well.

Not sure what your trying to imply? Please educate the masses on whats happening

#519 3 years ago

Its not underwater but it has flooding issues that are just getting worse... I dont live there and even I know that.
    Not to mention its on something like seven different fault lines so frankly does have a really good shot of being underwater someday.
    If not from climate change then from earthquake.
    I wouldnt expect someone selling real estate in the area to exactly promote these ideas of course.

I've been dealing with this propaganda for 25 years, and most of it is complete BS. For example I've done multiple development projects that were on the water and the sea level rise is always a big topic of discussion. 15 years a go they were predicting rediclous sea level rise (which they wanted us to mitigate) in the Bay Area and its all been complete BS. Instead we agreed upon a monitoring system with potential mitigation (it hasn't risen at all). The fault issue is another comment that shows your ignorance to the issue at hand. Yes there are fault lines, yes there will be earth quakes, and no u can't build on fault lines.

#520 3 years ago

Shouldn't San Francisco be underwater by now according to Al Gore? You call it science. I call it politically driven scare-science which has been debunked many times.

You are quite presumptive and full of yourself.
    Firstly, not in ID due to the fires. This trip has been planned for months.
    Secondly, of course our corrupt, lying, teflon, scumbag governor is blaming the fires on "Climate Change." If you take him as an honest, stand-up guy I've got a bridge I can sell you. We have long-term forest mismagement, and little Antifa shits running around lighting new fires left and right, which the leftist media tried very strongly to suppress at first as it undermined the Climate Change narrative, and the "peaceful protestor" narrative. This wildfire arson is a type of alternative warfare that is truly evil and sickening.
    But please do carry on as if you know better what's actually happening in my home state. You won't catch me talking out of my ass about Canada.

Your being far too nice in describing our Governor....he's an embarrassment

#522 3 years ago

You are referring to the general earthquakes that happen all the time...
    I am referring to the once every 200 years variety (now projected to be every 100 years and overdue) where all your building codes etc wont mean a thing.
    I generally take geologists words for this in the same way I would if my doctor said I had a tumor... they study these things all day and I dont.
    But I get it.. I liked living there too and its easier to just cross your fingers.

Where do you live? Natural disasters could happen anywhere....its nice to be aware, and attempt to plan and mitigate, but the event your talking about won't control my daily life...my point is the left press wants everyone to believe the word is ending, and its not....is sea level rise happening...yes at some level...is the world ending because of it ....No ... 15 years a go the lefties in NorCal were up in arms that SF, Alameda were going to be under water and we needed a levee, which would cost billions...did it happen...no...

#525 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Miami is the city threatened most by rising seas, not SF.

Really why?

#526 3 years ago
    Quoted from stumptown:

For someone who claims to be wise to propaganda you sure bit on a potent example of it if you believe "Antifa" is setting forest fires. Post your sources, we need some comedy in these dark times.

Coming from someone who has a mayor who promotes violence in the streets, and doesn't support police officers....priceless

#529 3 years ago
    Quoted from stumptown:

Try harder next time.

Most people don't want to burn the places they live. What do you imagine the motive is here?

Its not about trying harder .... its just a fact.... I used to think I was surrounded by the radical left...your in a different league

#531 3 years ago

Who said they’re from here?

Nobody....most of these radicals probably don't live in the area

#540 3 years ago
    Quoted from stumptown:Easy. There isn't any.
    Scary radicals setting fires intentionally in the woods for political reasons isn't a thing outside of hysterical Facebook threads.
    No one wants a goddamn wildfire to torch half of their state, displace hundreds of thousands of people, and make the air poison for weeks.

These are the exact same people who have been ravaging your streets for months....their nuts, and should all be thrown in jail....u may want a world of chaos, but most have zero interest in that

#542 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

It's overall much lower in elevation than SF, and it's impossible to protect with levees and dikes because the seawater will seep through the porous limestone ground instead and must be pumped out. Some areas already have serious issues with water levels at high tide.
    One of many articles on the subject: https://www.businessinsider.com/miami-floods-sea-level-rise-solutions-2018-4

I'll take your word for it as I don't know the coast line of Florida let alone its geology....all I know is there are many who believe we will be under water in 50 years, which is crazy....there are areas that have always had flooding issues because their breaks and levees were never designed properly or have been poorly maintained. Not sure all of it has to do with sea level rise

#543 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

The vast majority of protesters are and were peaceful people carrying signs and ravaging nothing. Just as the vast majority of police are good and professional people who aren't racist and don't shoot citizens without proper cause.
    The individuals on both sides who paint everyone with wide brushes suck and are a significant part of the problem.

Peaceful protests are perfectly fine....what were seeing in Portland and Seattle is crazy, and should never been allowed to happen. If u do nothing to address those few u mention than u have chaos in the streets....just like what happened in LA a few days ago when two cops got shot, and these knuckleheads are picketing outside the hospital chanting I hope u die.....fuck that world...

#546 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

"We" being your town? Google shows pleasanton to be over 300' above sea level, so yea, not happening to you anytime soon.

This is where you should dig your head out of the sand and do research, so you can debate from a place of knowledge instead of ignorance. You would then realize it wasn't poor planning or bad levee design; but actual *measured* sea level rise causing issues for Miami.
    Or, you can continue to argue points you're "not sure" about. Up to you, but an educated populance tends to elect better leaders. Just sayin.

I agree this is 100% crap and should never have happened; neither the initial ambush nor the verbal abuse afterward. Again shows there's shitty people on both sides.

I'll readily admit I know nothing about the coast line of Florida nor their levee designs....at least in the West coast levee design has changed over the last several decades. I've just lived this propaganda the last 15 years on the West coast, and we've seen no signs (that I'm aware of) that sea level rise is moving people away from the coast lines or flooding areas permanently. We've seen a lot of other issues like land erosion, but thats a separate topic, etc....but nothing drastic due to sea level rise. For the record I'm not discounting global warming, but impact and mitigation is different in each place.

To simply state (our Governor) that all these fires in California are due to global warming is utter bull shit. Does it have some impact...maybe, but nothing compared to effective forest management .

#550 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

I live in a forest, evacuated for The Old Fire, and I stayed during The Slide Fire.
    I went to a meeting sponsored by the forestry and the biologist told me after the meeting "The bark beetles are not going to wait while while we fight SOFA, Nature Conservancy and Sierra Club in court for 3-10 years".
    It isn't "global warming" it's brainwashed fools who won't hear the science and lose their shit when they hear "old growth".
    From 2003, they didn't listen then and now we are living the nightmare I was told about.
    "Finally, each summer many wildland fire fighters lose their
    life. In the days just prior to a hearing in Congressman
    Walden's posted in Oregon last month, several battle weary fire
    fighters lost their life while returning home late one evening
    from fighting a wildfire. These are the tragic human and
    environmental consequences of the West's forest health crisis.
    Clearly, this disaster status quo is no longer acceptable.
    That is why the House of Representatives passed the
    bipartisan Healthy Forests Restoration Act earlier this summer.
    This bipartisan bill would streamline the cumbersome
    bureaucratic procedures that currently force many projects like
    those desperately needed here in San Bernardino to endure a
    decision making process that usually takes between three and 5
    years. The slow-moving process is the primary reason that
    Federal foresters treat only about 2 million of the 190 million
    acres of forest lands at unnatural risk of wildfire each year.
    When catastrophe is imminent, such a glacial decision making
    process is wholly unacceptable. Our bipartisan legislation
    takes a balance and thoughtful approach to fixing this
    obviously broken process".
    https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-108hhrg89420/html/CHRG-108hhrg89420.htm

You identified a critical issue we have in California...basically environmentalist fighting people in court over BS stuff...all it does is delay the inevitable and cost the tax payers a bunch of money. This could all stop if we had leadership that eliminatd the ability for groups like the Sierra Club to delay these things in court.

#556 3 years ago
    Quoted from stumptown:

Easy. There isn't any.
    Scary radicals setting fires intentionally in the woods for political reasons isn't a thing outside of hysterical Facebook threads.
    No one wants a goddamn wildfire to torch half of their state, displace hundreds of thousands of people, and make the air poison for weeks.

Nobody wants chaos in the streets promoting violence either....yet here we are .... and as shocking as it sounds there are mayors that actually support this kind of behavior

#558 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I wasn't saying that arsonists aren't responsible for some of these fires. Sadly that happens every year, alongside lighting strikes, carelessly tossed cigarettes, and untended campfires. Probably been that way since the dawn of time, but certainly over the course of my lifetime there seem to be wildfire arson reports every summer.
    But you weren't just saying that arsonists started some of the fires, you were suggesting that left-wing anarchists are starting fires for political purposes. I don't see evidence of that in the two links you provided. Looked like a meth-head (politics unspecified) and a lady with a solid case of crazy-face (politics unspecified). I'm not saying it's impossible, a relatively small number of anarchist wing-nuts have cause a fair amount of property damage in America's cities this summer. But I am asking if your connection of wildfire arson to the anarchists is based on fact or speculation.

Theres no denying that these left wing radicals are breaking the law all the time...most of these people are angry, and promote radical lawless behavior....look at all the BS going on in Portland and Seattle....they should all be thrown in jail....I'm perfectly fine with peaceful protests, but its gotten out of control.

#561 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Who is denying any of that? I'm asking if there are documented cases of one or more of these idiots setting a fire for political purposes, which is what I thought norcalrealtor was saying in the first place.

All I know is these radicals are angry, nuts, and extremists who consistently break the law with seemingly no recourse...this anti police movement going on is borderline criminal

#584 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Let’s remember Political discourse is not allowed on Pinside. Please respect that going forward in this thread.

Funny!

#595 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

No new cars with combustion engines to be sold, not all cars with combustion engines banned. Which means I’ll get a shiny new 2034 combustion engine car which should be good for 10-15 years. After that I’ll be dead anyway.

My guess is it will get repealed by the voters....

#613 3 years ago

The school board president of our district just said last night he will likely keep the schools closed for the entire school year. So, distance learning all year. Are you kidding me? The school year just started.
    The CA Teachers Association and the school boards are basically locking arms and refusing to go back to work. Apparently these assholes have deemed themselves non-essential and do not care about the kids, who are suffering big time. And don't get me started on the indoctrination.
    Just one of the countless gripes I have with CA.

Really? I haven't heard that in our district. They should all be ordered to go back to work, and if they refuse they lose their jobs....its a fucking joke ....and we have the worst governor in the country who is in bed with the teachers union.

#614 3 years ago

"Get back to work and risk your life so I can get these damn kids outta my house!"
    Teachers are not magical beings immune to whatever germs the kids bring to school....</blockquote

Dude you don't get it....distance learning is a complete joke, and our kids are suffering daily. If teachers don't want to get back to work than they lose their jobs....no different than anyone else...

#617 3 years ago
    Quoted from frisbez:

I literally just said that the teachers I know at least are having to work longer hours to do distance learning. So yes, of course they are essential. I don't know why folks have decided that somehow teachers stopped working when they went to distance learning when the opposite is actually true.
    It's clear that you and other posters in this thread aren't interested in reality but just want to bash teachers. I'm not going to waste any more time.

I think that most teachers would rather be back at work, and from what I can surmise it varies widely by district and county. I'm not saying that some are not working their ass off. What I'm saying is if the teachers union (at least in Cal) is refusing to go back to work than theres a serious problem, and they should all be fired. Life is full of risks, and choices...each teacher can make their own personal choice..if they think its too risky than they can quit and do something else. Clearly they shouldn't be paid for doing nothing.

#623 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Ya think?

Teachers are already back to work, many working longer hours to deal with the new reality
    Absolutely ridiculous of you to expect them to risk their lives just because you dislike distance learning. Typical "conservative" attitude.. fuck everyone else, fuck the risks they're taking; I'm entitled to what I want now.
    If y'all's kids are suffering so much, why don't YOU as the kids' PARENTS do something about it instead of dumping it on the schools? Get with parents of your kids friends and arrange outings so they can still be social while being safe. You got that wonderful CA weather, take your kids out to enjoy it! You want to dump your problems on the government (schools) while at the same time whining about government-funded anything... some of y'all have zero shame LOL

Dude you are completely clueless....I have done something about it...I hired private tutors to do what the teachers/district is supposed to be doing. What you clearly do not comprehend is we are already paying for teachers/administrators full time work, pensions, etc. My point is there is very little risk to children so they should be in school full time. I also realize there are people like you always want a government hand out and are in full support of all their entitlement programs.

#630 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Maybe the mods recognize legit questions when they see 'em? I wasn't not nice, I wasn't political. I do want to know why he doesn't seem to give a flying F about the safety of his kid's teachers. "Oh, the gas station attendants are also working?" Yes, they are. Enjoy the fact you don't have to choose between risking your life and feeding your family.

Oh your right...we should just stay at home and never have the kids go back to school. My guess is you don't have any kids so you don't get it. If you actually knew what you were talking about you would realize that teachers are not back to work because the county won't allow it yet. That being said the unions have stated that they won't go back to work unless a long list of demands are met that have nothing to do with keeping kids or teachers safe i.e. defunding police forces....yep they've made that request. The unions are a big problem in California, and if u don't realize that your have head up your ass.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PtownPin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-living-in-ca-worth-it?tu=PtownPin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.