Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 641 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Xscrapiron
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is living in Ca. worth it?”

• Yes 48 votes
      24%
    • No 38 votes
      19%
    • Hell No! 113 votes
      57%

(199 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BD139CD3-C7EE-4F57-8748-80C26B4AEBFF (resized).png
    79CDFD3B-1595-4373-942A-5DE553F491D8 (resized).png
    walter1 (resized).jpg
    worldpopgr.gif
    B2C6D2B1-716F-48AB-9DA8-B0190B738585 (resized).jpeg
    A0A16A9A-F071-4622-BD47-0D3BB6E2F2B0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20150806_123403 (resized).jpg
    87FC6777-5D77-4F27-ACBF-C7F954A79D9A.gif
    21AF42B4-AE5E-40B0-931A-E70AB4F011F8 (resized).png
    5039201D-5667-462D-857A-21154253F4F0 (resized).jpeg
    D73C2D39-A785-4D98-B757-A19A2767DF60 (resized).png
    1C3FA4F3-2D36-4B11-B2A3-7EFA2C43DF4B (resized).jpeg
    28BD812E-EAA5-45F2-A25B-7E932CD6402C (resized).jpeg
    P-2401--Full-Front-Open-v2--500w (resized).jpg
    2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 641 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
    #1 3 years ago

These yearly fires producing smoke particles which get lodged deep into your lungs potentially setting you up for long term health problems...especially unfair to children with small developing lungs...animals too

My dog knows something is very wrong...she’s acting in a very suggestive manner

6014CAA9-0AC0-46BA-A6F6-6133889FD03D (resized).jpeg6014CAA9-0AC0-46BA-A6F6-6133889FD03D (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago
    06EAA7B6-214A-4EE9-8BDE-239DC14DBF2B (resized).png06EAA7B6-214A-4EE9-8BDE-239DC14DBF2B (resized).png
    #3 3 years ago

Buy air purifiers, masks, respirators, etcetera.

Edit:
    make sure that at least one of your air purifiers is battery powered, so that you can use it during a blackout.

#4 3 years ago

You can always move. Lived in San Diego in the 70's, was like paradise but family is here in the east.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

You can always move. Lived in San Diego in the 70's, was like paradise but family is here in the east.

San Diego is just not the same as it was in 70's early 80's. You caught the heyday.

#6 3 years ago

I've lived in CA for 41 years now and never regretted it till the Tubbs fire almost
    3 years ago. Its a miracle we didn't loose everything. At one point surrounded
    on 3 side. Then again last November and now the Wallbridge fire is just west
    of us. Will our luck hold out a third time? This is getting OLD!

Wish I had never moved here. If I could move I would have long ago.
    Steve

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

San Diego is just not the same as it was in 70's early 80's. You caught the heyday.

Yes Sir, when we were there they had a no-growth law. Living at the beach was SWEET!

#8 3 years ago

If only O-Din could respond to this thread. I can only imagine the response.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

If only O-Din could respond to this thread. I can only imagine the response.

How long is he frozen for? Hope he comes back.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

How long is he frozen for? Hope he comes back.

With glaciers melting, it can’t be for long!

Edit: I think they should change it from being Frozen to “In Time Out”.

#11 3 years ago

I left cali in 04 ..I would never go back to live
    Great place to visit but with traffic n cost of living and other bs to deal with. Is not worth it

#12 3 years ago

The fires are the least of CA's problems; I'm so glad we left.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from SimpleSam:

The fires are the least of CA's problems; I'm so glad we left.

exactly. People are fleeing to TX and TN from there. I just hope they know why these states are amazing and learn to vote correctly. California will have NO middle class soon, only super rich and super poor.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

exactly. People are fleeing to TX and TN from there. I just hope they know why these states are amazing and learn to vote correctly. California will have NO middle class soon, only super rich and super poor.

What?What are you saying,their political leaders have something to do with this,why that’s hate speech! Lol

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

What?What are you saying,their political leaders have something to do with this,why that’s hate speech! Lol

I know, i am sure i will get a slap on the wrist.

#16 3 years ago

As a car guy, the first deterrents that come to mind for me would be having to have a front license plate and deal with their emissions testing.

#17 3 years ago

I hear theirs gold in dim hills....nope just fires now.

#18 3 years ago

Lived in Cali for 55 years, love wearing shorts year round

#19 3 years ago

I love having 4 (sometimes 5) annual pinball shows!

#20 3 years ago

I lived in various parts of California from 1963 to 2014.
    NorCal SoCal and Central Valley.
    Now in Oregon, best move I made in my life.
    Calif just got to be too much what with taxes, fires, pollution, heat, cost of housing and people.

#21 3 years ago

I was born and raised on So Cal!! Love the year round sunshine for sure!! I moved to NJ/NY for about 21 years. Talk about misery!! Cold weather, nor’easters, blizzards, hurricanes, hailstorms etc. It’s no picnic. I moved back to So Cal in 2010 with a great job offer. With the exception of the terrible political environment and the fact we have a horrible governor I’ll still take Cali. We have the best weather in the country even with fires hands down. The beaches, mountains and desert are all within 30 minutes of my house. Also being a classic car collector I can drive my cars year round. So basically I live in So Cal for the weather!!

#22 3 years ago

Heck no for a multitude of reasons (awesome state to vacation in though).

#23 3 years ago

Surprised I’m the first to answer the question.

No. It is not worth it.

#24 3 years ago

Wishing the best to all those affected by the wild fires. California is a BIG state - depends on where you live but everywhere has high property tax and cost of living. But I love where we live, the Beach Cities. Air quality is good and so much cooler than living inland. I get to go to the beach everyday and surf, though our spots are now being inundated with people who have discovered it due to COVID. It used to be so quiet and chill. Hoping that they go away after the craziness dies down.

#25 3 years ago

Lived here all my life!! Growing up in the 60's in the Bay Area was heaven!! We got the Beatles,at Candelstick,Jimi Hendricks,Days on the Green at the Oakland Coliseum,The Fillmore West,also was present at the "Avalon Ballroom" watching "Big Brother' record "Cheap Thrills" surfed from Monterey to the Russian River outlet! Went to summer camp as a child! Skateborded in the skateboard parks that were invented HERE in Cali!! All these things and lots more to boot! Yes,its not easy to live here,but, we don't have to shovel snow outta the driveway to go to the store!! I could go on and on, but you get my point! And Texas??? You can keep it! Texans don't belong any where BUT Texas! Been there! Was glad to leave there! Wouldn't go there for a vacation either, yuk!~

#26 3 years ago

The great state of Texas.Yuk really that’s your honest assessment?

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I’ve been to TN twice the people are super nice, you feel safe, and there is a good mix of city and country.

#28 3 years ago

I been wanting to find a nicer place to live since I turned 18 in 1978. I get bored on Maui after 6 months and end up back here. I have a problem that my body is used to a great climate. I literally get sick from heat and humidity that others think is a nice day. Its rarely ever 90 where I live. When it's hot and humid for here, it rarely lasts. I haven't been in an air conditioned house in years. There's probably a strong reason why my hometown has grown over 4 times since 1978. People like weather in the 70s in July and August for the most part. As well as Jan when the Rose Bowl game is played in 70 degree weather when its colder elsewhere.

#29 3 years ago

I love visiting once a year for NAMM and Disneyland (better than DisneyWorld, IMO), but I'd never want to live there. My friends in California always mock me when we get winter storms, but it falls on deaf ears. Call me crazy, but I love the fall leaves, the snowstorms, and those first warm days of spring when everything is in bloom.

And don't forget, CA residents: You're overdue for a whopper of an earthquake. I wouldn't want to be living on top of a ticking time bomb.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

These yearly fires producing smoke particles which get lodged deep into your lungs potentially setting you up for long term health problems...especially unfair to children with small developing lungs...animals too
    [quoted image]

Where do you live? This type of stuff happens all over the country? whether its fires, floods, hurricanes, etc....theres no perfect place

#31 3 years ago

Use to live in the overrated OC for 20 years, It’s was great back then and I had a great time growing up but not for me now. Traffic and the people a mess.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I love visiting once a year for NAMM and Disneyland (better than DisneyWorld, IMO), but I'd never want to live there. My friends in California always mock me when we get winter storms, but it falls on deaf ears. Call me crazy, but I love the fall leaves, the snowstorms, and those first warm days of spring when everything is in bloom.
    And don't forget, CA residents: You're overdue for a whopper of an earthquake. I wouldn't want to be living on top of a ticking time bomb.

I love the fall leaves, the 4 seasons, snowstorms and having the ocean and desert within an hours drive.
    That is why I am still here in Southern California.

GTO RS Run 009 (resized).JPGGTO RS Run 009 (resized).JPGmoto load5 134 (resized).jpgmoto load5 134 (resized).jpg
    #33 3 years ago

I know this is off topic but somebody mentioned it above . What did Odin do ?

#34 3 years ago

Dindu nuttin'

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayinla:

Wishing the best to all those affected by the wild fires. California is a BIG state - depends on where you live but everywhere has high property tax and cost of living. But I love where we live, the Beach Cities. Air quality is good and so much cooler than living inland. I get to go to the beach everyday and surf, though our spots are now being inundated with people who have discovered it due to COVID. It used to be so quiet and chill. Hoping that they go away after the craziness dies down.

I don’t think a lot of people realize the scale of the state. So many people from other states are always worried I am about to burn up. As bad as it all is right now, all of that is about as far away as if your were living in NY and there was a fire in Maine.

There is a huge diversity as far as what it’s like in different areas. Southern California is different than Northern California. Central California is more different. Even in just SoCal you can live at the beach, in the desert, in the mountains, and everything in between.

In NorCal SF is different from San Jose, which is different from the valley, and so on. Go north from SF/Sacramento and you still have hundreds and hundreds of miles of wide open land.

SoCal is basically a complete desert with far too many people living there, all stealing the water from NorCal (in NorCal people’s’ minds). In SoCal it isn’t unusual to have zero rain over a span of 8 months. In the northernmost part of the state, annual rainfall approaches 50 inches.

There are forests that stretch forever. There is all of Yosemite and Mammoth. There are hundreds of miles of Pacific Ocean coastline.

There are some really really nice places to live, depending on what you like. My preference if I could get there would be Central a California, north of Santa Barbara in the San Luis Obispo area. That is a totally different living vibe than being in crowded SoCal.

So, it it worth it? If you can afford the overpriced real estate to get where you would like to be, maybe so. The weather is ridiculously and consistently good. There are tons of things to do. Some things are expensive, but not everything. Most people, in general, are nice. There is a lot of diversity and always has been, and it seems to be no big issue for everyone to get along.

The biggest downsides? First and foremost, water. It is a major limiting factor, and that probably can’t be improved much. Continual expansion of population only makes this worse.

Second? The absolute dumbest and worst group of politicians on the face of the earth. In the end you get what you vote for, so I suppose this is what most of the people want. If you are a business owner, an entrepreneur, a hard worker, or anyone who actually makes a contribution to society, the levels of government control and taxation are onerous. Everyday citizens have basically no rights or protections, and criminals are well-loved and allowed to do whatever they want with no punishment. This is the main reason many people leave.

My final note. At least among people that I generally come across, by far the number one topic of discussion is this: where can we go to get the hell out of here???!

#36 3 years ago

California is amazing and well worth living in. Within a half a days drive I can be at the beach, the mountains, the snow, the desert, the redwood forests, and countless other places.

Sure we are now dealing with fires once a year, but we don’t deal with tornadoes, or hurricanes or tropical storms, or blizzards.

The politics don’t bother me whatsoever, I’m progressive and I will leave it at that since politics shouldn’t be discussed on here.

The only other state I would consider living in is Oregon, California rules and I hope to live here forever.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I don’t think a lot of people realize the scale of the state. So many people from other states are always worried I am about to burn up. As bad as it all is right now, all of that is about as far away as if your were living in NY and there was a fire in Maine.
    There is a huge diversity as far as what it’s like in different areas. Southern California is different than Northern California. Central California is more different. Even in just SoCal you can live at the beach, in the desert, in the mountains, and everything in between.
    In NorCal SF is different from San Jose, which is different from the valley, and so on. Go north from SF/Sacramento and you still have hundreds and hundreds of miles of wide open land.
    SoCal is basically a complete desert with far too many people living there, all stealing the water from NorCal (in NorCal people’s’ minds). In SoCal it isn’t unusual to have zero rain over a span of 8 months. In the northernmost part of the state, annual rainfall approaches 50 inches.
    There are forests that stretch forever. There is all of Yosemite and Mammoth. There are hundreds of miles of Pacific Ocean coastline.
    There are some really really nice places to live, depending on what you like. My preference if I could get there would be Central a California, north of Santa Barbara in the San Luis Obispo area. That is a totally different living vibe than being in crowded SoCal.
    So, it it worth it? If you can afford the overpriced real estate to get where you would like to be, maybe so. The weather is ridiculously and consistently good. There are tons of things to do. Some things are expensive, but not everything. Most people, in general, are nice. There is a lot of diversity and always has been, and it seems to be no big issue for everyone to get along.
    The biggest downsides? First and foremost, water. It is a major limiting factor, and that probably can’t be improved much. Continual expansion of population only makes this worse.
    Second? The absolute dumbest and worst group of politicians on the face of the earth. In the end you get what you vote for, so I suppose this is what most of the people want. If you are a business owner, an entrepreneur, a hard worker, or anyone who actually makes a contribution to society, the levels of government control and taxation are onerous. Everyday citizens have basically no rights or protections, and criminals are well-loved and allowed to do whatever they want with no punishment. This is the main reason many people leave.
    My final note. At least among people that I generally come across, by far the number one topic of discussion is this: where can we go to get the hell out of here???!

I've been here my entire life, and without a doubt the biggest downside is we are taxed to death

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Yes,its not easy to live here,but, we don't have to shovel snow outta the driveway to go to the store!! I

With the amount I save in taxes over CA I could by a new snowblower every year and still come out ahead

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Use to live in the overrated OC for 20 years, It’s was great back then and I had a great time growing up but not for me now. Traffic and the people a mess.

I grew up there also and it was great, the operative word being was.
    It is now a hole in the earth.
    Watch the game shows from the 70's, all the contestants are from somewhere else.
    That is what ruined OC.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:The biggest downsides? First and foremost, water.

Last water bill was $400
    Energy was another $400 on top
    That’s a rough diner

3rd straight day of unhealthy air 135 AQI
    Yesterday was 189

Shovel snow or lung cancer...hmmm

#41 3 years ago

Last water bill was $400
    Energy was another $400 on top
    That’s a rough diner
    3rd straight day of unhealthy air 135 AQI
    Yesterday was 189
    Shovel snow or lung cancer...hmmm

$400 water bill? i payed $19 last month.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

$400 water bill? i payed $19 last month.

That’s why you have 32 games

#43 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Come hang with us in Texas

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Come hang with us in Texas

Your property taxes though....why so high?

I would have to live like a popper just to foot that bill

#45 3 years ago

I have a 3,000 square foot home that I bought for 209,000 about 3 years ago. I got a great deal, sure, but they are far cheaper here regardless. I pay about 5,000 a year in property taxes, and I live in an affluent area on a lake.

My brother-in-law has 30 acres in central Texas with multiple buildings on it, and he pays 800 bucks a year in property taxes.

#46 3 years ago

I grew up in So Cal, born in 1970, I was a third generation native. I had a blast. We went to the beach, went to the mountains, road trips. In the 70s there were still orange groves in Orange County. I got to go to special Disneyland nights when there were no lines, we could go on space mountain again and again without getting off. We would go camping, just throw stuff in the car and go. No need to book a campsite months in advance.

I remember the 'Welcome to California now go home' bumper stickers.

More people kept coming, we stopped going to the snow (there also seemed to be less of it) and the traffic meant you had to be really careful with when you went. So Cal, seemed smaller and smaller to me as it grew since the traffic meant I went less places.

About 20 years ago I realised I was losing more and more of the things I loved about the place, they were still there but it just go too hard to enjoy them mostly because of too many people trying to do the same thing as we were. The trend was clear to me and it wasn't getting better.

When we go back and visit now the things I love are still there but so are more and more people. I like popping out to grab some good mexican food and finding some little pockets that remind me of what things used to be like. The good things haven't gone away they just get harder to enjoy as everyone else wants to do the same thing and that was what drove us out.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Where do you live? This type of stuff happens all over the country? whether its fires, floods, hurricanes, etc....theres no perfect place

I've been pretty happy in Toronto, Canada.. No issues here, Got a plow on the jeep;D

#48 3 years ago

No state income tax means higher property taxes. Usually

#49 3 years ago

Cost of living, taxes, and traffic (before COVID) are not worth it.

The views, peaceful landscapes, mountains, beaches, palm trees, accessibility, and of course the weather is well worth it.

If my wife didn’t work for the state, we would probably move out of state. But, then we talk about the what if’s, and can’t agree or find a place better to live than so cal. AZ, NV, TX...no thanks, too dry, too hot. Maybe Colorado?

#50 3 years ago

Really sucks to hear the Redwoods are affected by the fires

There are 641 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-living-in-ca-worth-it?hl=wayinla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.