Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 641 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Xscrapiron
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is living in Ca. worth it?”

• Yes 48 votes
      24%
    • No 38 votes
      19%
    • Hell No! 113 votes
      57%

(199 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BD139CD3-C7EE-4F57-8748-80C26B4AEBFF (resized).png
    79CDFD3B-1595-4373-942A-5DE553F491D8 (resized).png
    walter1 (resized).jpg
    worldpopgr.gif
    B2C6D2B1-716F-48AB-9DA8-B0190B738585 (resized).jpeg
    A0A16A9A-F071-4622-BD47-0D3BB6E2F2B0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20150806_123403 (resized).jpg
    87FC6777-5D77-4F27-ACBF-C7F954A79D9A.gif
    21AF42B4-AE5E-40B0-931A-E70AB4F011F8 (resized).png
    5039201D-5667-462D-857A-21154253F4F0 (resized).jpeg
    D73C2D39-A785-4D98-B757-A19A2767DF60 (resized).png
    1C3FA4F3-2D36-4B11-B2A3-7EFA2C43DF4B (resized).jpeg
    28BD812E-EAA5-45F2-A25B-7E932CD6402C (resized).jpeg
    P-2401--Full-Front-Open-v2--500w (resized).jpg
    2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 641 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.
    #351 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL I've been saying that to Woody for ages.
    Nashville is a fucking dump! It's a vomit covered playground for drunk white people. The streets run with puke and urine, there are bums and intoxicated tourists wandering everywhere, fights breaking out between groups of chubby frat boys...I happened to be there in the aftermath of a Kelly Clarkson concert and it was basically what I imagine Hell is like.
    So while we all appreciate Woody's concerns for our own fair cities, he really needs to take care of his own business his own back yard before he can lecture us.
    I'll give him one thing there's tons of fantastic BBQ in Nashville. It's almost worth the possibility that you might run into that vagrant lowlife Kid Rock.

It seems folks are moving to Nashville and moving out of NYC.
    You need to fire your mayor and bring back law and order!He’s back for your city and he’s a groundhog killer!

#352 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Hope it ain't Starbucks!

I went to Starbucks one time and I overheard the girl refer to me as a basic bitch because I ordered a regular coffee!I was so hurt I cried for days

#353 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

No offense but most homeless per square inch I have seen in my life is in downtown Nashville last few years... and I lived In NYC in the 90s.

I work in Nashville and rarely see homeless folks just laying around. NY and LA are in the top five in the WORLD for homeless people. Stats do not lie.

#354 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Hope it ain't Starbucks!

NO, heart coffee roasters in Oregon. Stuff is amazing.

#355 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL I've been saying that to Woody for ages.
    Nashville is a fucking dump! It's a vomit covered playground for drunk white people. The streets run with puke and urine, there are bums and intoxicated tourists wandering everywhere, fights breaking out between groups of chubby frat boys...I happened to be there in the aftermath of a Kelly Clarkson concert and it was basically what I imagine Hell is like.
    So while we all appreciate Woody's concerns for our own fair cities, he really needs to take care of his own business his own back yard before he can lecture us.
    I'll give him one thing there's tons of fantastic BBQ in Nashville. It's almost worth the possibility that you might run into that vagrant lowlife Kid Rock.

Then why are people fleeing CA and NY for places like TN and TX? In my neighborhood, the last 4 houses sold the new owners are from - 2 CA, 1 NY, and 1 OR. My mom just sold her house yesterday, guess what? NY native leaving the cesspool was his exact words. If you like it then do your thing, but the stats do not lie.

#356 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I work in Nashville and rarely see homeless folks just laying around. NY and LA are in the top five in the WORLD for homeless people. Stats do not lie.

Depends on the area..

I wanted to check out third man records when I was there and was told "be prepared to get accosted by homeless dudes" and sure enough got out of a cab and was harassed for money on the way in and out.

Per capita Nashville is only at 25 but its working its way up... considering its size it has a big issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/07/48-major-us-cities-struggling-to-shelter-growing-homeless-population/40242171/

#357 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Then why are people fleeing CA and NY for places like TN and TX? In my neighborhood, the last 4 houses sold the new owners are from - 2 CA, 1 NY, and 1 OR. My mom just sold her house yesterday, guess what? NY native leaving the cesspool was his exact words. If you like it then do your thing, but the stats do not lie.

yah exactly the issue... rents and property values going way up which will equate over time to more people on the street.

Dont get me wrong I love Nashville and have lots of friends there since I am in and out of the music biz but its has its issues like any city.

Some of the worst traffic in the US also.

#358 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Trust me nobody is fleeing California....year after year the population continues to grow. People cash out and move to places that have a much lower cost of living.

#359 3 years ago

Depends on the area..
    I wanted to check out third man records when I was there and was told "be prepared to get accosted by homeless dudes" and sure enough got out of a cab and was harassed for money on the way in and out.
    Per capita Nashville is only at 25 but its working its way up... considering its size it has a big issue.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/07/48-major-us-cities-struggling-to-shelter-growing-homeless-population/40242171/

According to your article the #1 and #2 highest homeless? NYC and Los Angeles

#360 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Trust me nobody is fleeing California....year after year the population continues to grow. People cash out and move to places that have a much lower cost of living.

We have people leaving for sure.... but we also have plenty coming into the state. I live in Northern California less than an hour north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Our area is having crazy home price inflation from the people in the city coming to live here. We had a bad fire in 2017 and lost 5500 homes and only about half of those have been rebuilt. We haven't seen a mass exodus of people but have had a few people leave. Most of them were close to retirement and sold their expensive homes to move to another lower cost of living state for retirement. It's a plan I hear from a lot of people and have heard for years. You pay off your 1 million dollar plus bay area home and move to Texas, Utah, Tennessee, etc and pay cash for a house and the rest goes into your retirement savings. I've only known a couple people who left outside of this type of move.

#361 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

According to your article the #1 and #2 highest homeless? NYC and Los Angeles

and so? thats been the case forever.

#362 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

We have people leaving for sure.... but we also have plenty coming into the state. I live in Northern California less than an hour north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Our area is having crazy home price inflation from the people in the city coming to live here. We had a bad fire in 2017 and lost 5500 homes and only about half of those have been rebuilt. We haven't seen a mass exodus of people but have had a few people leave. Most of them were close to retirement and sold their expensive homes to move to another lower cost of living state for retirement. It's a plan I hear from a lot of people and have heard for years. You pay off your 1 million dollar plus bay area home and move to Texas, Utah, Tennessee, etc and pay cash for a house and the rest goes into your retirement savings. I've only known a couple people who left outside of this type of move.

Thats essentially formula...retirement + kids out school = cash out and live a nice life in an area that has a much lower cost of living...

#363 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

The stats may not lie, but this post contains no stats, only anecdotes.

#364 3 years ago

Some of the worst traffic in the US also.

Yes. Went through Nashville *once* to get a game further down in TN. Traffic was worse than Atlanta. It's not that there's tons of people, more like not enough roads going useful directions, and the people on the roads drive like morons. Y'all down in TN need 4 weeks in Chicago or NY to learn how to drive.

#365 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

The stats may not lie, but this post contains no stats, only anecdotes.

It doesn't matter to some people, they watch one news source and/or have one disgruntled buddy and that is their basis to extrapolate their "facts" to millions of people over a large swath of land. Apparently we must all be insanely stupid for living in California because it has to be all homeless people on fire with needles sticking out of everyone all the time 24/7 because their media of choice says so.

I should have expected that in this thread though. I just looked again at the poll and noticed two options for "no", that should have been my clue that this was never a real thread asking a genuine question and instead it was yet another "let's bash on California" thread on Pinside. My mistake, I should have caught that and totally ignored this thread. But then again I have no idea why I even bother with this forum anymore, the pattern of hate and misinformation is patently clear, I should just cull it and move on. There's other places to talk Pinball that aren't littered with this nonsense and indoctrinated thinking.

#366 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

It doesn't matter to some people, they watch one news source and/or have one disgruntled buddy and that is their basis to extrapolate their "facts" to millions of people over a large swath of land. Apparently we must all be insanely stupid for living in California because it has to be all homeless people on fire with needles sticking out of everyone all the time 24/7 because their media of choice says so.
    I should have expected that in this thread though. I just looked again at the poll and noticed two options for "no", that should have been my clue that this was never a real thread asking a genuine question and instead it was yet another "let's bash on California" thread on Pinside. My mistake, I should have caught that and totally ignored this thread. But then again I have no idea why I even bother with this forum anymore, the pattern of hate and misinformation is patently clear, I should just cull it and move on. There's other places to talk Pinball that aren't littered with this nonsense and indoctrinated thinking.

I know what you mean and living in Texas I am well aware of the CA scare tactics.

I really liked living in CA, I just got into the state too late in life to strap on a $1.5M mortgage for 30 years.

#367 3 years ago

Reality, the poll was created by someone who has been sucking down smoke for a couple weeks and isn't in the best of moods. I think you're overreacting a bit. Yes there's the typical "one news source" clowns present here, just like the covid thread, but I don't see too much excessive Cali-bashing.

Drop the worst in your ignore bucket and enjoy the rest of pinside.

#368 3 years ago

... have been only peripherally following this thread.

My reply to OP's original question is - there are a few things that make life here worth it. 1. living near the ocean where the weather is insulated from the inland heat and wind. 2. the surf beaches and reefs in San Diego are absolutely amazing (hence the increased crowds). 3. the proximity of mountains for skiing, fishing, hiking, camping. 4. pinball machines are relatively easy to find nearby. 5. the mexican food here is the best.

the trade off is: 1. the political environment in CA is awful, but not bad enough to leave given the benefits above and the fact that San Diego is somewhat sheltered from most of the extreme politics. 2. the business environment is geared towards state approved projects - if you're willing to do what the state says, they will throw money at you and count on your voting with your pocket book to keep them in power. 3. the school system for the kids is starting to suck big time - more and more of the revisionist history is seeping into the classroom and the indoctrination is worsening (time to consider private school).

Once the bad outweighs the good, we'll end up leaving. There's a lot riding on the next couple of months - but it's unlikely CA will change its course anytime soon...

#369 3 years ago

Ill say it again, living on a fault line.

No thanks, after a few years it wore on me (I did see Northridge firsthand earlier though) ... and I loved loving there.

no one in Cali is all that concerned?

I find that pretty interesting.

#370 3 years ago

I am sitting on top of the 3rd largest batholith in Ca. and when there are major quakes we go up and down not side to side.
    All that happens is the mountain gains altitude.
    I built this house, earthquake anchors go to the bottom of the footings so it stays on the foundation.
    Taken a few rides over the decades, more concerned about fires than quakes.

#371 3 years ago

I enjoy it, but 2020 hasn't been great. Almost all of the value around living here in the SF Bay Area is lost when you rarely leave your house.

Realistically it's going to be years before everything is back to "normal," but I'm optimistic. Buying cheaper acreage in another state and working remotely seems like a great idea now, but when concerts, restaurants, festivals, shops, parks and all that are back open, I feel like I'd regret not being here.

The real play is buying a second home in the wilderness somewhere so you get the best of both worlds, but that's $$$. If anyone is doing that and making it work, I'd love some tips.

#372 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

I am sitting on top of the 3rd largest batholith in Ca. and when there are major quakes we go up and down not side to side.
    All that happens is the mountain gains altitude.
    I built this house, earthquake anchors go to the bottom of the footings so it stays on the foundation.
    Taken a few rides over the decades, more concerned about fires than quakes.

yah I hear ya... I would want to live by the beach or other more vulnerable area like I did when I was there.

Fires are the worst and they happen every year.

But to me I can run from a fire.. a quake you are just screwed.

#373 3 years ago

No thanks, after a few years it wore on me (I did see Northridge firsthand earlier though) ... and I loved loving there.

I lived in Northridge at the time. Lost my home and most of what was in it. I was most upset when I found out it was not on the San Andreas.
    But that is not why I left.
    I left 20 years ago (wish I did it 20 years sooner) and never looked back. First to raise a family in a safe place. Second money, no state income tax in Nevada, better business environment as a business owner and a whole lot less taxes. Third, politics.
    There are a bunch more but this is not the forum.

#374 3 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

I lived in Northridge at the time. Lost my home and most of what was in it.

This.. I dont know how anyone could go through that and not leave.

I was not that close but went over that way after and looked around.. scary shit.

I did move to cali years later tho and actually NYC after 9-11 lol.

#375 3 years ago

Not concerned here. No nearby fault lines and the soil composition in the valley absorbs any shockwaves very well. Maybe once every 10-15 years or so I’ll actually notice one but only if I happen to be sitting perfectly still at the time.

We do have a new fancypants “early alert” system. A few months back there was one I noticed and I got a text notification about 45 seconds.... after the fact.

So... no earthquakes (in this region), no floods, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no freezing, no sunami’s, no fires (as long as you choose not to live in the mountains or canyons).... just hot summers and bad air.

It always amuses me how worried non Californian’s are about earthquakes. I’m sure the news makes it out to be much worse than it is when we do have one that makes the news. After all their job is to scare you into staying home and watching more news.

#376 3 years ago

This.. I dont know how anyone could go through that and not leave.
    I was not that close but went over that way after and looked around.. scary shit.
    I did move to cali years later tho and actually NYC after 9-11 lol.

Because most buildings will usually not collapse. I lived right around the corner form the Northridge Meadows Apt where it went from a three story to two. Most lives lost were from there. My home was red tagged, some walls came in but the roof did not collapse. I will say that the vertical ground movement in my neighborhood was 16' per caltech. I did cut my knee on my ceiling fan and it never left the ceiling.
    I would rather have an earthquake to a tornado or hurricane.

#377 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Reality, the poll was created by someone who has been sucking down smoke for a couple weeks and isn't in the best of moods.

Very true...poll closed

#378 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

It always amuses me how worried non Californian’s are about earthquakes. I’m sure the news makes it out to be much worse than it is when we do have one that makes the news. After all their job is to scare you into staying home and watching more news.

really? the whole state is on a fault line and no Californians care?

I didnt get concerned because of the news.. I did because I went and looked at the aftermath of Northridge and was not far when it happened at 4 am or whatever it was. Google some pics of the highway system after that and then remind me that no one cared?

It wasnt even "the big one" and its still one of the costliest natural disasters in history.

All it took for me was one long talk with someone who studies these things for a living and I was done.

#379 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

So... no earthquakes (in this region), no floods, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no freezing, no sunami’s, no fires (as long as you choose not to live in the mountains or canyons).... just hot summers and bad air.

Man, the Central Valley is the worst... I would never want to live there. I had relatives living in Visalia for a number of years and visiting them sucked. Weather overall is worse than ohio... I'll take occasional snow to not have to deal with the oppressive heat and stagnation all summer. And the dirt.. just unreal how DIRTY the valley is. ANYTHING left uncovered more than a day got a layer of dirt.. didn't matter where, everything gets dirty. Some days its so bad you could taste it. Nothing to do with fires, this is just dirt in the air. Oh, and the valley even has its own disease: https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/coccidioidomycosis/index.html

Only benefit to living in the valley is proximity to the parts of the state that don't suck, but it ain't worth it.

#380 3 years ago

I am wanted in California so I cannot live there or ever go there again. I do miss Knottsberry Farm

#381 3 years ago
    Quoted from aingide:

I enjoy it, but 2020 hasn't been great. Almost all of the value around living here in the SF Bay Area is lost when you rarely leave your house.
    Realistically it's going to be years before everything is back to "normal," but I'm optimistic. Buying cheaper acreage in another state and working remotely seems like a great idea now, but when concerts, restaurants, festivals, shops, parks and all that are back open, I feel like I'd regret not being here.
    The real play is buying a second home in the wilderness somewhere so you get the best of both worlds, but that's $$$. If anyone is doing that and making it work, I'd love some tips.

Check out Arnold, CA.

#382 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I am wanted in California so I cannot live there or ever go there again. I do miss Knottsberry Farm

So am I do to a campground incident some 40 years ago.

#383 3 years ago

really? the whole state is on a fault line and no Californians care?
    I didnt get concerned because of the news.. I did because I went and looked at the aftermath of Northridge and was not far when it happened at 4 am or whatever it was. Google some pics of the highway system after that and then remind me that no one cared?
    It wasnt even "the big one" and its still one of the costliest natural disasters in history.
    All it took for me was one long talk with someone who studies these things for a living and I was done.

I'm not sure you have any idea what your talking about. The whole state is definitely not on a fault, and there are building standards in Cal that attempt to address potential earth quakes. Along with that you can't build on fault lines as most jurisdictions won't allow it due to the geotech issues. Yes some are close, and yes that could be a potential concern as is with many issue people deal with in and out of California.

#384 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm not sure you have any idea what your talking about. The whole state is definitely not on a fault, and there are building standards in Cal that attempt to address potential earth quakes. Along with that you can't build on fault lines as most jurisdictions won't allow it due to the geotech issues. Yes some are close, and yes that could be a potential concern as is with many issue people deal with in and out of California.

OK Ill clarify... any part of California I would live in is on a fault line or close enough.

#385 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I am wanted in California so I cannot live there or ever go there again.

Quoted from Electrocute:

So am I do to a campground incident some 40 years ago.

I’m liking the turn this thread has taken.

F1E065BE-7784-49B3-B373-464156CD5E37 (resized).jpegF1E065BE-7784-49B3-B373-464156CD5E37 (resized).jpeg
    #386 3 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

No state income tax means higher property taxes. Usually

Income tax & high property taxes in PA. And high gas tax.

#387 3 years ago

OK Ill clarify... any part of California I would live in is on a fault line or close enough.

Sorry, but I still don't think you understand! Where do you live?

#388 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slogan1111:

Income tax & high property taxes in PA. And high gas tax.

But not as high as Cali

#390 3 years ago

I have been in Huntington Beach for over 95% of my over 50 year old life. California has changed drastically just in my time. HB was “off the map” when I was a kid, now a total tourist town, with the Surfing Championship happening here every summer (except this one). I love this town, but am done with the rest of the state...plan on cashing out eventually, destination...Las Vegas! Maybe I can help Tim maintain some games I’m a few years...

#391 3 years ago

I remember the News interviewing Surfers in California in the 80's. Question? What is your opinion of North Carolina?
    This one guy looked like a Poster Child for California surfers, tan, blonde, small and lean.

"Hicks in trucks Man, Hicks in trucks".
    With everything going on right now in the Golden State glad to be a Hick in a pickup.
    When me and Pop drove cross country into California in 71, it was a magical place, a memorable experience.
    Glad I saw it.

#392 3 years ago

As a child I was mesmerized by California..wooow the Golden State if only my parents can move there please please please... 40 years later how the narrative has changed ... Not even as a layover or connecting flight would I set foot in that pathetic State !

#393 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

As a child I was mesmerized by California..wooow the Golden State if only my parents can move there please please please... 40 years later how the narrative has changed ... Not even as a layover or connecting flight would I set foot in that pathetic State !

You do realize you live in Canada

#394 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

And the great State of Florida...

#395 3 years ago

I sold a heavily wooded 5 Acre plot I had built a cabin on, my first house. Did most of the work myself over a period of 3 years. Noticed everytime anything was done a high pile of brush was created. I will admit it worried me, the new acreage I purchased with the money only has trees/brush in the very back.
    Really feel for the Folks losing out right now on the West Coast, can't imagine it. Kept up with the fires last year and the memories are still fresh from that horror, now, this.
    Only thing I can do, or anyone for that matter is contribute toward the Relief Funds, the legitimate ones.

#396 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

Happy u like it...been there dozens of times....happy I got to leave

#397 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Happy u like it...been there dozens of times....happy I got to leave

I guess you figured it out after 12 times

#398 3 years ago

Nassholes & Canadiens...

#399 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Quoted from marlboroman:

2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif

#400 3 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

... Not even as a layover or connecting flight would I set foot in that pathetic State !

Quoted from PtownPin:

You'll have to forgive him. He's French. Low on manners and high on himself.

QSS

There are 641 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-living-in-ca-worth-it/page/8?hl=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.