Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 641 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Xscrapiron
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is living in Ca. worth it?”

• Yes 48 votes
      24%
    • No 38 votes
      19%
    • Hell No! 113 votes
      57%

(199 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BD139CD3-C7EE-4F57-8748-80C26B4AEBFF (resized).png
    79CDFD3B-1595-4373-942A-5DE553F491D8 (resized).png
    walter1 (resized).jpg
    worldpopgr.gif
    B2C6D2B1-716F-48AB-9DA8-B0190B738585 (resized).jpeg
    A0A16A9A-F071-4622-BD47-0D3BB6E2F2B0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20150806_123403 (resized).jpg
    87FC6777-5D77-4F27-ACBF-C7F954A79D9A.gif
    21AF42B4-AE5E-40B0-931A-E70AB4F011F8 (resized).png
    5039201D-5667-462D-857A-21154253F4F0 (resized).jpeg
    D73C2D39-A785-4D98-B757-A19A2767DF60 (resized).png
    1C3FA4F3-2D36-4B11-B2A3-7EFA2C43DF4B (resized).jpeg
    28BD812E-EAA5-45F2-A25B-7E932CD6402C (resized).jpeg
    P-2401--Full-Front-Open-v2--500w (resized).jpg
    2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 641 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.
    #251 3 years ago

for those hell bent-on living in wisconsin ...

they have 'wild' fires there, as well.

burningdownthehouse3 (resized).jpgburningdownthehouse3 (resized).jpg
    #252 3 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

for those hell bent-on living in wisconsin ...
    they have 'wild' fires there, as well.[quoted image]

Oh that’s the fuck them motherfuckers fire! Wait that’s one of those peaceful blm protest, my bad!

#253 3 years ago

Mods - can we fold this thread into the Covid-19 Containment thread?

#254 3 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

CA is absolutely horrible! PLEASE nobody come here and everyone here, please move out ASAP! /s

I agree. Please, everyone living there stay there. We don’t need more people moving here, inflating our home prices, and over crowding our state as well.

#255 3 years ago

California should be only for "Californians"

#256 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

I agree. Please, everyone living there stay there. We don’t need more people moving here, inflating our home prices, and over crowding our state as well.

Utah & Idaho are the new Texas & Nevada. We’re all moving to your state.

#257 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Utah & Idaho are the new Texas & Nevada. We’re all moving to your states.

Utah, Idaho, and Nevada I get. But how do Californians do when they get to Texas? You'd think the god-awful humidity would kill 'em off within a season or two.

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Utah, Idaho, and Nevada I get. But how do Californians do when they get to Texas? You'd think the god-awful humidity would kill 'em off within a season or two.

If weather is a consideration than the reality is you won't find better weather than California. If you move out of state its a trade off between the humidity and the cold....Texas is hot and humid, Utah and Idaho are cold in the winter...everything is a trade off...people make personal decisions based on their likes and dislikes. I love Idaho, but the parts I love are really, really cold in the winter.

#259 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

If weather is a consideration than the reality is you won't find better weather than California.

Knowledge shared by a guy I met in California... There are a million reasons to leave California, but the weather isn’t one of them

#260 3 years ago

Lived in Utah, Idaho, visited my buddy at montana st.

I walked out of a bar and my nostril hairs froze. Never had that happen.

Wife is from D.C.

I think I will stay in Cali.

#261 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

Knowledge shared by a guy I met in California... There are a million reasons to leave California, but the weather isn’t one of them

I don't know about a million, but there are a lot.....pros and cons to every place...i.e. AZ is great in the winter....August is another story to each their own

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinpoor:

I walked out of a bar and my nostril hairs froze.

You have to keep those trimmed to prevent that from happening.

#263 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinpoor:

I walked out of a bar and my nostril hairs froze. Never had that happen.

Beats plucking ‘em.

#264 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm actually flying to ID in 2 weeks to scope out eagle, meridian, boise for potential relocation.

Quoted from mrgone:

I went last year. The wife and I fell in love with the treasure valley.
    We are planning on moving there by next year.

Oh,wow,we will miss both of you!! I hope you find some pinball action out there!!

#265 3 years ago

I've only been to San Francisco, Sonoma, San Jose, and Santa Cruz/Aptos. I loved the weather and landscape. Humongous trees and beautiful ocean views. June weather reminded me of Northern Michigan Summers with lower humid and intermittent sun. That is my kind of weather! As for the cost of living, that really burst my bubble. I'm currently in Hot and Humid North Carolina. Great quality of life but I'll always wonder if moving to the west coast would have been best. Grass is always greener I guess?

#266 3 years ago

Something that hasn't been mentioned is there is a lot going on in California.
    If you are into collecting, this is THE place to be. Not just pinball or arcade
    stuff but especially classic cars, vintage electronics and so on. I've seen some
    amazing private collections here. One of the coolest was the Littlefield military
    tank collection.

Shows and swaps here are also very good. The Pacific Pinball Expo (now gone)
    was amazing.

I've lived in Mass and Florida and both, while nice in many ways were devoid
    of the things I've found in CA.
    Steve

#267 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

I changed my mind. I’m gonna move there now and overpay for a house that I’m going to watch R-rated movies in to the horror of my neighbors.

#268 3 years ago

In 1980 a bunch of biker friends decided to go to California for the Summer. The plan was to drive out in a semi with their bikes and gear loaded.
    Several of these guys were straight up bad asses, the best bikers NC had at the time. Said they wanted to see how Real Bikers lived and played, so first stop was Oakland.
    2 weeks later I saw one of them in the curb market, told him I was surprised, how did it go?
    "Man, we had to come back quick, it was too fucking wild, too fucking wild. We nearly got murdered, arrested, and all of us got robbed"
    This first hand account stayed with me for the next 20 years.

#269 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I don't know about a million, but there are a lot.....pros and cons to every place...i.e. AZ is great in the winter....August is another story to each their own

Actually my place in northern Az. Williams gets quite cold in the winter at 6,700 ft. it gets a bit more snow than my place here in Lake Arrowhead at 5,700 ft.
    The snow is colder and drier in Az. but other than that basically the same weather.
    It is 76 in Williams right now, 76 in Arrowhead.
    Williams averages 74 inches of snow per year. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year.
    Arrowhead gets less, 40-50 inches and it melts faster.

#270 3 years ago

nothing like riding jetskis across the pacific from Cabrillo Beach to Catalina with the dolphins

#271 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

In 1980 a bunch of biker friends decided to go to California for the Summer. The plan was to drive out in a semi with their bikes and gear loaded.
    Several of these guys were straight up bad asses, the best bikers NC had at the time. Said they wanted to see how Real Bikers lived and played, so first stop was Oakland.
    2 weeks later I saw one of them in the curb market, told him I was surprised, how did it go?
    "Man, we had to come back quick, it was too fucking wild, too fucking wild. We nearly got murdered, arrested, and all of us got robbed"

That was our impression of the USA when we lived in Canada way back in the day, all of us Europeans and Canadians thought the USA was great for a quick vacation but hell no to living in such a dangerous country. Those types of thoughts stuck with me for many years until eventually I decided rather than believe the typical info that was parroted by everyone about the USA back then, instead I would decide for myself. In 1991 I had an internship at Microsoft and lived in the Seattle area for 3 months, that was my first real world exposure to "Don't believe the hype". People were really nice, the city was lovely, I had a really good time there and never felt in danger. Five years later I would move to the USA permanently starting in Texas as friends and relatives told me I was insane to live in such a dangerous country. Many states later I still used to try and defeat that incorrect assumption about this country, but some people will believe whatever they are told.

All I can say at this point is people have an agenda, they lie and/or are easily deceived. Experience things for yourself, make your own informed decisions. Beyond that I don't bother fighting it anymore and I let people live with whatever nonsense is in their head.

#272 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

That was our impression of the USA when we lived in Canada way back in the day, all of us Europeans and Canadians thought the USA was great for a quick vacation but hell no to living in such a dangerous country. Those types of thoughts stuck with me for many years until eventually I decided rather than believe the typical info that was parroted by everyone about the USA back then, instead I would decide for myself. In 1991 I had an internship at Microsoft and lived in the Seattle area for 3 months, that was my first real world exposure to "Don't believe the hype". People were really nice, the city was lovely, I had a really good time there and never felt in danger. Five years later I would move to the USA permanently starting in Texas as friends and relatives told me I was insane to live in such a dangerous country. Many states later I still used to try and defeat that incorrect assumption about this country, but some people will believe whatever they are told.
    All I can say at this point is people have an agenda, they lie and/or are easily deceived. Experience things for yourself, make your own informed decisions. Beyond that I don't bother fighting it anymore and I let people live with whatever nonsense is in their head.

He was talking about Oakland man!

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Actually my place in northern Az. Williams gets quite cold in the winter at 6,700 ft. it gets a bit more snow than my place here in Lake Arrowhead at 5,700 ft.
    The snow is colder and drier in Az. but other than that basically the same weather.
    It is 76 in Williams right now, 76 in Arrowhead.
    Williams averages 74 inches of snow per year. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year.
    Arrowhead gets less, 40-50 inches and it melts faster.

I'm sure thats true, but its 115 in Phoenix .....

#274 3 years ago
    Quoted from jakethesnake181:

nothing like riding jetskis across the pacific from Cabrillo Beach to Catalina with the dolphins

Well damn, you learn something new every day. All the time I’ve been here, and I didn’t even know this was a thing. That is a heckuva haul on a jet ski, something like 20 miles. Well, that just sounds fun as hell, I think I might just do that one day. All my trips to Catalina have been lazy excursions on the catamaran, sipping cocktails and kicking back and enjoying the ride.

#275 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Utah & Idaho are the new Texas & Nevada. We’re all moving to your state.

Idaho is fine. Utah is already full .

#276 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

He was talking about Oakland man!

This is funny to us old Oaklanders!!! You don't EVER ride with your colors in the Hells Angels town,EVER!!

#277 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

. Ha ,haha,if the HAs don't kill youth Gypsy Jokers surly will!! That will teach you to ride with your colors in Oakland!!!

#278 3 years ago
    Quoted from PappaDubz:

I left cali in 04 ..I would never go back to live
    Great place to visit but with traffic n cost of living and other bs to deal with. Is not worth it

And now the visible negative side effects of the evangelized politics.

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

We moved from Huntington Beach (Harbor) to Katy Texas. We got a 3m equivalent house on land for 400k, the weather is hotter but we put a pool in on top of the pools in the complex. The electricity is so cheap that you can afford to run the ac all year around and keep the house at 70. No bums sleeping on my lawn, the neighbors kids are not shooting heroin before they go out, and no explosion of feces. The hardest part was leaving family and friends but Southwest makes it affordable to bridge that gap. People are friendly out here (not the avoid all eye contact at all expense) and regrettably I have relocated many collectibles to TX as a previous poster mentioned. If I Was to go back it would not be with taxable income, and likely to a rural setting. It is so nice to have space.

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from HB_GAMER:

We moved from Huntington Beach (Harbor) to Katy Texas. We got a 3m equivalent house on land for 400k, the weather is hotter but we put a pool in on top of the pools in the complex. The electricity is so cheap that you can afford to run the ac all year around and keep the house at 70. No bums sleeping on my lawn, the neighbors kids are not shooting heroin before they go out, and no explosion of feces. The hardest part was leaving family and friends but Southwest makes it affordable to bridge that gap. People are friendly out here (not the avoid all eye contact at all expense) and regrettably I have relocated many collectibles to TX as a previous poster mentioned. If I Was to go back it would not be with taxable income, and likely to a rural setting. It is so nice to have space.

How long ago did you leave HB? It’s kinda degenerating at an accelerated rate. This is pathetic and sad but that’s the way it goes.

#281 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

How long ago did you leave HB? It’s kinda degenerating at an accelerated rate. This is pathetic and sad but that’s the way it goes.

Back in late 2013. I had lived there since 1980 and even at several points considered a run at city council. I was shocked at my first visit back when I had to pay for a bag at Vons, and I told them to place the items loosely in the cart. They looked at me a little weird. I do miss Del Taco, Kings Pizza and the Lord of the rings pin at Two brothers pizza. We did get our first In and Out in Katy and it always has a line. Each bite takes me back to the Westminster store.

#282 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Idaho is fine. Utah is already full .

You be quiet!

#283 3 years ago
    Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Back in late 2013. I had lived there since 1980 and even at several points considered a run at city council. I was shocked at my first visit back when I had to pay for a bag at Vons, and I told them to place the items loosely in the cart. They looked at me a little weird. I do miss Del Taco, Kings Pizza and the Lord of the rings pin at Two brothers pizza. We did get our first In and Out in Katy and it always has a line. Each bite takes me back to the Westminster store.

Yeah the difference in the last 7 years is pretty big. The continual spread of high density housing everywhere, continual conversion of the beach area to a slick commercialized vibe, ever-increasing homeless population who run loose and crazy, and burgeoning crime rates with little being done about it all drag you down a bit. It’s still a pretty good place to live, just not like it was. I’ll head over to In and Out in Westminster and have one in your honor!

#284 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I’ll head over to In and Out in Westminster and have one in your honor!

Excellent! Pics

#285 3 years ago

That's actually awesome, I love that we do that, it's yet another way California protects us. Full disclosure is required so you can't victimize others by hiding things. I don't think all states do this, when we looked at properties in Austin, TX in the late 90s there were no such protections at the time, it was buyer beware. In the Seattle area in the early 2000's they were similar to here in California where you can't hide defects and such, the realtors made is very clear it all has to be disclosed. Likewise here it gets revealed if you are in a flood or fire zone, which is perfect. The only properties that I'm not sure fall under full disclosure are those sold at auction.

Indiana has laws requiring individuals buying home to be informed of potential of flooding.The chance of earthquakes and wildfires is slim unlike flooding that can happen in lower lying areas so yeah even hillbillies try to be fair.

#286 3 years ago

following...

#287 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yeah the difference in the last 7 years is pretty big.

I spent my youth there, that was 50 years ago.
    We had beach bums back then, Murph the Surf was a wino who lived in a Caddy at Tin Can Beach.

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Indiana has laws requiring individuals buying home to be informed of potential of flooding.The chance of earthquakes and wildfires is slim unlike flooding that can happen in lower lying areas so yeah even hillbillies try to be fair.

That's the first time I've heard the term hillbillies applied to Indiana, but learn something new everyday I guess. Anyways I meant more beyond the obvious stuff like natural disasters. For example, lets say you know your property has an asbestos problem, foundation issue or something serious and you lie about it when asked while trying to pass off the problem to an unsuspecting new buyer, you can be held liable for it if they find out you concealed the issue. When we sold our Seattle property and moved to California we had a foundation crack that caused a leak. We fixed it, but we had to reveal that to the next buyer so they knew what they were getting into. Things like flooding, fire, etc are more obvious really as you can typically get reports that reveal if you are in a flood zone, etc, it's the property specific issues where things can be hidden.

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

The air in Fontana was green, now that Kaiser steel plant is in China.
    When I was a kid you could catch bluefin tuna off the end of the HB pier, live anchovies were the same price as strips and salsa on the end of the pier a quarter for a scoop.
    The Bonita runs were insane, you could limit out in minutes.
    Pier was open all night and we had the Golden Bear.
    last time I was there the pier closed at 11 pm.
    You could go to the beach with milk, pepper, potatoes and onions and use a garden fork for the Pismo clams.
    I won a fishing pole and tackle box for catching a huge Spotfin Croaker behind the bathrooms on the pier when I was 11.
    You could freedive off of the Newport Jetty for lobster.
    I moved from the area when the ocean died.
    I grew up in Buena Park and went to school in Anaheim, Knotts Berry Farm was free and Walter's wife served the chicken dinners at the restaurant.
    Coffee at Sambo's on the corner was a dime.
    We had Disneyland, The Hollywood Wax Museum, The Alligator Farm and Hobby City on Hwy 39 with massive slot car tracks.
    OC has kind of turned into a shithole, I suppose it is nice to those who never knew how nice it used to be.
    People don't believe I used to hunt rabbits there but back then it was mostly orange groves and strawberry fields.

These sound like the words to a song

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from nich2pat:

These sound like the words to a song

8637C8BC-8E59-436F-B112-D8A60BEA8250 (resized).jpeg8637C8BC-8E59-436F-B112-D8A60BEA8250 (resized).jpeg
    #291 3 years ago

That's the first time I've heard the term hillbillies applied to Indiana, but learn something new everyday I guess. Anyways I meant more beyond the obvious stuff like natural disasters. For example, lets say you know your property has an asbestos problem, foundation issue or something serious and you lie about it when asked while trying to pass off the problem to an unsuspecting new buyer, you can be held liable for it if they find out you concealed the issue. When we sold our Seattle property and moved to California we had a foundation crack that caused a leak. We fixed it, but we had to reveal that to the next buyer so they knew what they were getting into. Things like flooding, fire, etc are more obvious really as you can typically get reports that reveal if you are in a flood zone, etc, it's the property specific issues where things can be hidden.

Pretty sure every state holds sellers accountable, I know Pa. does. Gets even more strict at the township level where inspectors come out with a checklist making sure everything is up to code before settlement.

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

"They got some dark green air
    An' you can choke all day"

Frank Zappa

#294 3 years ago

YES! I actually lived in San Bernardino for a while in the 70s, and I loved that song. Well still do. That line describes it perfectly.

Also, Zulch is the autoworks, that’s where they take all the cars that they hurt. That was a real place right off the freeway, used to drive by it all the time. It’s long gone, but lives on to this day thanks to Frank Zappa.

Great memories. San Bernardino used to be a kind of a cool place in some ways. These days not so much.

#295 3 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

I grew up in So Cal, born in 1970, I was a third generation native. I had a blast. We went to the beach, went to the mountains, road trips. In the 70s there were still orange groves in Orange County. I got to go to special Disneyland nights when there were no lines, we could go on space mountain again and again without getting off. We would go camping, just throw stuff in the car and go. No need to book a campsite months in advance.
    I remember the 'Welcome to California now go home' bumper stickers.
    More people kept coming, we stopped going to the snow (there also seemed to be less of it) and the traffic meant you had to be really careful with when you went. So Cal, seemed smaller and smaller to me as it grew since the traffic meant I went less places.
    About 20 years ago I realised I was losing more and more of the things I loved about the place, they were still there but it just go too hard to enjoy them mostly because of too many people trying to do the same thing as we were. The trend was clear to me and it wasn't getting better.
    When we go back and visit now the things I love are still there but so are more and more people. I like popping out to grab some good mexican food and finding some little pockets that remind me of what things used to be like. The good things haven't gone away they just get harder to enjoy as everyone else wants to do the same thing and that was what drove us out.

thats what a friend of mine said that moved to irvine for awhile. said you couldn't go out and do anything anymore because it took you 3 hours of traffic time to go 30 miles, so he moved back to st. louis.

#296 3 years ago

MorpheusNoBasement (resized).jpgMorpheusNoBasement (resized).jpg

#297 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

[quoted image]

Not true.
    We have basements here just not as many as back east/midwest.
    My house has a basement and I would never live in a slab on grade home.
    I grew up in one and they are hard on your back and knees.
    Most homes up here have either a build up or a basement.

#298 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Not true.

Yea, but a very small percentage of houses have basements in California. Typically due to costs and water tables. That being said I love basements, and wish they were more common out West. ITs a great space for storage, game rooms, gyms, etc....

#299 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Not true.

You have a unicorn! Sure, there are a few. Very few. I've been living here for approaching 50 years, and have been in all sorts of houses all over CA, and I haven't seen one yet!

Additional edit: Every time I visit someone in the Midwest or Southeast, I inevitably get a tour of their goddam great basement, with a theater, a man cave, a workout room, storage, etc. I'm not bitter though.

#300 3 years ago

Basements are great, especially the ones that are the exact footprint of the house with one end at ground level. Don’t see them in Florida but they do exist. My friend in Colorado had one and my grandparents in Roanoke, Va also had one.

There are 641 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-living-in-ca-worth-it/page/6?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.