Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 641 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Xscrapiron
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is living in Ca. worth it?”

• Yes 48 votes
      24%
    • No 38 votes
      19%
    • Hell No! 113 votes
      57%

(199 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BD139CD3-C7EE-4F57-8748-80C26B4AEBFF (resized).png
    79CDFD3B-1595-4373-942A-5DE553F491D8 (resized).png
    walter1 (resized).jpg
    worldpopgr.gif
    B2C6D2B1-716F-48AB-9DA8-B0190B738585 (resized).jpeg
    A0A16A9A-F071-4622-BD47-0D3BB6E2F2B0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20150806_123403 (resized).jpg
    87FC6777-5D77-4F27-ACBF-C7F954A79D9A.gif
    21AF42B4-AE5E-40B0-931A-E70AB4F011F8 (resized).png
    5039201D-5667-462D-857A-21154253F4F0 (resized).jpeg
    D73C2D39-A785-4D98-B757-A19A2767DF60 (resized).png
    1C3FA4F3-2D36-4B11-B2A3-7EFA2C43DF4B (resized).jpeg
    28BD812E-EAA5-45F2-A25B-7E932CD6402C (resized).jpeg
    P-2401--Full-Front-Open-v2--500w (resized).jpg
    2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 641 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
    #101 3 years ago

Are there still Californians in California? Pretty sure they all moved to Wyoming and bought up everything this summer. They brought the smoke with them, too.

I'm hoping to reverse immigrate and live in NorCal someday.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

Are there still Californians in California? Pretty sure they all moved to Wyoming and bought up everything this summer. They brought the smoke with them, too.
    I'm hoping to reverse immigrate and live in NorCal someday.

Yep....the good news if u do immigrate u won't freeze to death in January

#103 3 years ago

Left the Bay Area and moved to Vegas a little over a year ago. The Bay will always have a place in my heart, and I do miss my family and friends back there, but you couldn't get me to move back. My mortgage payment is cut in half, for a brand new home that's almost 1000 square feet larger. I don't have to sit in traffic just to drive 2 miles. No state tax. Lower property tax. Lower everything.

Mind you, Vegas has it's issues as well (what city doesn't), but the good far outweighs the bad, for us at least.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

It's hard to believe how much cleaner the air became. Especially inland. I made ice slushies to cool down my lungs as a kid. 10 years later and the air inland was actually fine. I would have a hard time believing you if I hadn't lived it.

From what the locals were telling me, you couldn't see Mt. Baldy from Ontario airport most days, which is hard to imagine.

#105 3 years ago

california ...
    they used to write songs about going there...

like 50 years ago.

#106 3 years ago

It’s all fun until the big quake.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

Left the Bay Area and moved to Vegas a little over a year ago. The Bay will always have a place in my heart, and I do miss my family and friends back there, but you couldn't get me to move back. My mortgage payment is cut in half, for a brand new home that's almost 1000 square feet larger. I don't have to sit in traffic just to drive 2 miles. No state tax. Lower property tax. Lower everything.
    Mind you, Vegas has it's issues as well (what city doesn't), but the good far outweighs the bad, for us at least.

Pretty common theme why people leave NorCal....the cost of living is really high....and getting higher and higher with all the egregious taxes we have to pay....A small example of this is I was in Idaho last month and gas was over $1 gallon cheaper due to all the BS taxes we have to pay....the only thing thats actually lower than most states is property tax, which is set at 1% + (more BS local fees) of purchase price

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

From what the locals were telling me, you couldn't see Mt. Baldy from Ontario airport most days, which is hard to imagine.

This is a 100% true story. We moved to CA in July 1972, to Moreno Valley. Sometime in November, we finally got some winds that blew out all of the smog, which would happen in the winter. We stepped outside and were astonished to see that there were mountains nearby (Big Bear, etc). Seriously, we had no clue whatsoever that those mountains where there for all that time.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

The air quality is pretty much always good here. For any of those who can remember back to the 70s, it was bad in the LA basin. Real bad. I’m talking, stinging in your eyes, pain in your chest after a deep breath, can hardly see the cars in front of you bad. You have to give credit for all of the regulation that changed all of that.

The air in Fontana was green, now that Kaiser steel plant is in China.
    When I was a kid you could catch bluefin tuna off the end of the HB pier, live anchovies were the same price as strips and salsa on the end of the pier a quarter for a scoop.
    The Bonita runs were insane, you could limit out in minutes.
    Pier was open all night and we had the Golden Bear.
    last time I was there the pier closed at 11 pm.
    You could go to the beach with milk, pepper, potatoes and onions and use a garden fork for the Pismo clams.
    I won a fishing pole and tackle box for catching a huge Spotfin Croaker behind the bathrooms on the pier when I was 11.
    You could freedive off of the Newport Jetty for lobster.
    I moved from the area when the ocean died.
    I grew up in Buena Park and went to school in Anaheim, Knotts Berry Farm was free and Walter's wife served the chicken dinners at the restaurant.
    Coffee at Sambo's on the corner was a dime.
    We had Disneyland, The Hollywood Wax Museum, The Alligator Farm and Hobby City on Hwy 39 with massive slot car tracks.
    OC has kind of turned into a shithole, I suppose it is nice to those who never knew how nice it used to be.
    People don't believe I used to hunt rabbits there but back then it was mostly orange groves and strawberry fields.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

california ...
    they used to write songs about going there...

like 50 years ago.

#111 3 years ago

The Mexican food in California is better than the Mexican food in Mexico. No other state can hold a candle to how good that stuff is there.

I miss California.

I was born and raised there.

I too remember Orange County when it still had orange groves.

I also remember the smog. It was pretty bad in the 70's. I remember the feeling of smog in my lungs. ....not good..... I think they solved some of that now. So that's good. It was a PITA to get a car smogged every two years but I think it made a difference.

Anyway I lived all over Southern California and traveled up and down the coast from tip to tip quite a few times. One thing that people consistently are getting right on this forum is how vast California is. It's fn huge. You could live there your whole life and still not see all it has to offer.

Unfortunately as others have mentioned here, there are a lot of people there now. All competing for the bounty the state has to offer. It was getting too crowded for me when I left in the mid 90's. It's a whole lot worse now.

Anyway.....................would I go back? You bet your ass.

The people are the nicest coolest out of any state I've ever been to. The weather is good. And did I mention the Mexican food?

Could I afford to live where I would want to live in California now? Probably not. I would probably have to live in my truck to be where I would want to be. Which might not be a bad thing. After all the weather is nice and you don't need silverware to eat a burrito.

#112 3 years ago

Yes, one thing is true. No matter where you are, you can go randomly in any direction and within 5 minutes find some really, really, really good Mexican food. We have our favorites and they are small family-run restaurants and we try to give them as much business as possible. They not only make great food, but their service is top-notch and they are super nice people.

I have no idea why so many people around here go to El Torito. Yech.

The smog checks aren't so bad, just $40-50 every 2 years and a few minutes of your time. If you experienced the 70s smog like we did, you know its worth it.

#113 3 years ago

I've had the pleasure of living in nearly every region of the country. Sorry deep south, but the combination of your heat and humidity has kept me away.

Every state has both good and bad points. Having lived in Northern California for over 25 years, 'it's a great place to live and a better place to leave'.

Steve in Las Vegas

#114 3 years ago

Absolutely not. I dont understand why it's so crowded. Everyone should leave right away.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

OC has kind of turned into a shithole

Shithole is a bit harsh but, I can definitely see where you’re coming from Trace.

Just a short time ago, (read 40-60 years ago) we still kinda had actual rural space around each city that was used for said strawberries, avocados, oranges and other various natural things.
    Once those patches got sold off by the money grubbing offspring that inherited all their family’s previous hard work/legacy, it was just a matter of time before the Industrial/urban “stacking“ started.

Nowadays, if an old person dies around here and leaves a house with a decent amount of yard surrounding it, you have a 99.99% chance a four story hipster apartment complex and or, at least three to five smaller “luxury” bungalows all scrunched together will be put in its place.

Growing up in Fullerton, it’s crazy to see how much the landscape has morphed into the above.

Not as bad as Irvine obviously, but still it’s crazy to see what has happened in that short amount of time.

That’s what we are currently dealing with here in Orange County.

At least our air and ocean quality today are drastically better than it was even 25 years ago. Now I can usually see L.A. or Mt. Baldy easily from the top of St. College and Bastanchury, even without a previous night’s rain or wind to help cut the pollution...

For the coastline,
    I don’t know when Trace last set foot in the ocean but, I am usually out there practically every morning up and down our abundant surf breaks. I can’t speak for others but, when I’m out there paddling around, there seems to be plenty of various fish species swimming underneath me and my board.

Now that we have drastically cleaner ocean water that’s cLeArEr than it was in the 70’s and 80’s, it’s nice to enjoy said views.

Pods of dolphins also swim by most mornings playing up and down the jetties while they eat.

As for Mexican food specifically, we are pretty damn spoiled here in Orange County.
    Lots of places to choose from, and for the most part, all are pretty tasty.
    Same goes for Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Mediterranean/Greek and Italian.

My only food gripe,
    Legit Chinese American food is lacking though.
    Lots of greasy-rubbery-meat take out these days but, very few legit places left that house a capable chef using fresh ingredients, sparkly gold vinyl booths, crunchy noodles with dipping sauce and of course, a pot of complimentary hot jasmine tea.

#116 3 years ago

CA is absolutely horrible! PLEASE nobody come here and everyone here, please move out ASAP! /s

#117 3 years ago

Well hopefully the ocean is better since I left, we used to have blue water right up to the beach.

Quoted from NimblePin:

Legit Chinese American food is lacking though.
    Lots of greasy-rubbery-meat take out these days but, very few legit places left that have fresh ingredients, sparkly gold vinyl booths, crunchy noodles with dipping sauce and of course, a pot of complimentary hot jasmine tea.

You mean Mandarin Gardens up here in Blue Jay only the booths are red and "vintage".
    Stay away from the second booth on the left.

#118 3 years ago

The truth is, best weather in the world. In the dead of winter, I'm working on dirt bikes and pinball machines wearing shorts in my garage. Paid $375K for my house in 1998. Now worth $2mil. I can provide a Zillow link of my neighborhood for those that don't believe it. Prop 13 allows me to keep my 1998 property taxes. The beach and snow is only a short drive away. I'll never leave.

#119 3 years ago

left 3 1/2 years ago. Live just north of Chattanooga. It's an amazing place, green and most are really nice. Unfortunately may go back to California as that is where all our friends and family are.

Cons moving back.
    1. Couldn't have a yard sale without thieves. I have video of teamwork thieves and even using their kids to steal or cause distractions.
    2. Trash everywhere along the roads. Dirty diapers in parking lots. More graffiti than I have seen anywhere else. Hwy 101 and 25 are just garbage.
    3. Fires and bad air during them. Not good for those with lung issues.
    4. Taxes and permit fees are ridiculous.
    5. Crime. When I worked for Verizon the thieves would steal the copper wire from the backup generators over in the Valley. Vandalism higher. Empty houses ransacked while up for sale. Leave your car on the side of the road for a few hours to arrange towing and come back to find all the windows smashed.
    6. Corner beggars 100x more than anywhere else I have been.
    7. Everything is in Spanish anymore. I had awesome Spanish friends there that never tried to shove that down your throat and were very respectful but that is no longer the case with the recent generation and influx of illegals.
    8. Water issues.
    9. Utility rolling blackouts. Getting back up generator permits cost has skyrocketed because they know they can bleed you because of it.
    10. Home Depot and Lowe's parking lots full of those looking for day cash jobs. Don't see that here.
    11. HOA and CCR rules are like buying a home and giving all your rights to the committee. I'll plant the tree I want thank you.
    12. Forget going to Oakland. Do I really have to spell it out.
    13. San Francisco has turned into a cesspool unless you like feces and urine. So sad. Can't visit there safe anymore.
    14. LA...no thanks.
    15. Gang activity is high.
    16. Seems the drug activity is higher. Everywhere has the problem but CA seems worse. Maybe because it is a known gateway.
    17. Gas prices. I paid $1.87 today here.
    18. Bullying in schools. Not tolerated here. It's dealt with quickly. Parents here will beat your ass.
    19. The only flags normally seen are the American flag and state flags unless you are watching the protesters on the news. The Confederate flag is rarely seen here although I originally thought you might see it more. Mostly at the battlefield parks. An occasional one shows up on the back of a truck or motorcycle. In CA Mexican flags are everywhere.
    20. Because of the economy there everyone is pinching every penny they can. Here they offer to give you a beverage to go at no extra cost.
    21. I could on. Especially when it comes to manners.

Pros.
    1. Family is there. Miss them.
    2 Friends are there. Miss them.
    3. Less humidity. July and August here suck.
    4. Depending on where you are most things you desire are only a couple hours drive.
    5. Best Mexican food I have ever had. The Mexicans that work here in restaurants I think are impostors. Everything is shredded and blah.
    6. Pinball Shows there are really fun. Awesome guys and gals.
    7. Ranch fixathons at Paicines with all the guys.
    8. My Dads grave is in Reno and I miss stopping by.
    9. The ocean.
    10. Santa Cruz mountains.
    11. Favorite Italian restaurants are in the San Jose area.
    12. Highway 80 from Roseville to Reno. Best drive anywhere.

It would not be until 2022 but its possible. Probably somewhere around highway 49 or 50.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

CA is absolutely horrible! PLEASE nobody come here and everyone here, please move out ASAP! /s

I cannot tell you how many Californians I've personally met/worked with here in Oregon that sold their home in CA and literally over paid for a house here (bidding war) because they could. They ended up getting a much bigger/better house and still have ass loads of money left over. You don't want anyone else there? Then please tell your people to stay there and stop coming here and driving the market prices up. Nothing personal brother but I have been to "parts" of CA. Twice. Both times several years apart. The only thing that place has to offer is warm weather and warm waves in my personal opinion. Everything else "to me" is wrong.

I used to live in Phoenix AZ. The first time I drove to California there was LITERALLY a WALL of smog. I don't remember exactly where that wall started but literally a wall that eventually you drove into and you never really quite come out of it. San Diego used to be such a beautiful place. In my personal opinion that place is so much worse off now as are the other areas I've visited. At the end of the day I don;t see any cities actually getting better because mankind is just continuously getting worse. Full on degradation. This planet deserves an asteroid shoved up our asses because we no longer serve a greater purpose.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Well hopefully the ocean is better since I left, we used to have blue water right up to the beach.

Most days I can see the bottom fairly easily; blue water galore.
    The further south you go, say Salt Creek/Strands, it’s actually a nice deep blue aqua color now.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

left 3 1/2 years ago. Live just north of Chattanooga. It's an amazing place, green and most are really nice. Unfortunately may go back to California as that is where all our friends and family are.
    Cons moving back.
    1. Couldn't have a yard sale without thieves. I have video of teamwork thieves and even using their kids to steal or cause distractions.
    2. Trash everywhere along the roads. Dirty diapers in parking lots. More graffiti than I have seen anywhere else. Hwy 101 and 25 are just garbage.
    3. Fires and bad air during them. Not good for those with lung issues.
    4. Taxes and permit fees are ridiculous.
    5. Crime. When I worked for Verizon the thieves would steal the copper wire from the backup generators over in the Valley. Vandalism higher. Empty houses ransacked while up for sale. Leave your car on the side of the road for a few hours to arrange towing and come back to find all the windows smashed.
    6. Corner beggars 100x more than anywhere else I have been.
    7. Everything is in Spanish anymore. I had awesome Spanish friends there that never tried to shove that down your throat and were very respectful but that is no longer the case with the recent generation and influx of illegals.
    8. Water issues.
    9. Utility rolling blackouts. Getting back up generator permits cost has skyrocketed because they know they can bleed you because of it.
    10. Home Depot and Lowe's parking lots full of those looking for day cash jobs. Don't see that here.
    11. HOA and CCR rules are like buying a home and giving all your rights to the committee. I'll plant the tree I want thank you.
    12. Forget going to Oakland. Do I really have to spell it out.
    13. San Francisco has turned into a cesspool unless you like feces and urine. So sad. Can't visit there safe anymore.
    14. LA...no thanks.
    15. Gang activity is high.
    16. Seems the drug activity is higher. Everywhere has the problem but CA seems worse. Maybe because it is a known gateway.
    17. Gas prices. I paid $1.87 today here.
    18. Bullying in schools. Not tolerated here. It's dealt with quickly. Parents here will beat your ass.
    19. The only flags normally seen are the American flag and state flags unless you are watching the protesters on the news. The Confederate flag is rarely seen here although I originally thought you might see it more. Mostly at the battlefield parks. An occasional one shows up on the back of a truck or motorcycle. In CA Mexican flags are everywhere.
    20. Because of the economy there everyone is pinching every penny they can. Here they offer to give you a beverage to go at no extra cost.
    21. I could on. Especially when it comes to manners.
    Pros.
    1. Family is there. Miss them.
    2 Friends are there. Miss them.
    3. Less humidity. July and August here suck.
    4. Depending on where you are most things you desire are only a couple hours drive.
    5. Best Mexican food I have ever had. The Mexicans that work here in restaurants I think are impostors. Everything is shredded and blah.
    6. Pinball Shows there are really fun. Awesome guys and gals.
    7. Ranch fixathons at Paicines with all the guys.
    8. My Dads grave is in Reno and I miss stopping by.
    9. The ocean.
    10. Santa Cruz mountains.
    11. Favorite Italian restaurants are in the San Jose area.
    12. Highway 80 from Roseville to Reno. Best drive anywhere.
    It would not be until 2022 but its possible. Probably somewhere around highway 49 or 50.

Man u must have lived in a rough neighborhood ...

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

An occasional one shows up on the back of a truck or motorcycle. In CA Mexican flags are everywhere.

What a crock of shit. Mexican flags are NOT everywhere. They also only occasionally show up like your confederate flag. Sounds like you're just more tolerant of the confederate flag.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

This planet deserves an asteroid shoved up our asses because we no longer serve a greater purpose.

Wow, thought I was the only one

I was watching Apocolypto with my daughter the other night and she was shocked that humans were so ignorant to believe chopping off heads and ripping out still beating hearts for the gods would solve drought issues

I explained how in the tens of thousands of years humans have lived here, we have completely F’d the planet off in a mere 150 years or so...a drop in the bucket time wise

Who’s the ignorant ones now?

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

This planet deserves an asteroid shoved up our asses because we no longer serve a greater purpose.

It was indeed nice to see for a brief second or two, the first month of COVID had some of the finest weather this planet (especially here in CA! ) has experienced since we humans discovered fire all those years ago. lol

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

I cannot tell you how many Californians I've personally met/worked with here in Oregon that sold their home in CA and literally over paid for a house here (bidding war) because they could. They ended up getting a much bigger/better house and still have ass loads of money left over. You don't want anyone else there? Then please tell your people to stay there and stop coming here and driving the market prices up. Nothing personal brother but I have been to "parts" of CA. Twice. Both times several years apart. The only thing that place has to offer is warm weather and warm waves in my personal opinion. Everything else "to me" is wrong.
    I used to live in Phoenix AZ. The first time I drove to California there was LITERALLY a WALL of smog. I don't remember exactly where that wall started but literally a wall that eventually you drove into and you never really quite come out of it. San Diego used to be such a beautiful place. In my personal opinion that place is so much worse off now as are the other areas I've visited. At the end of the day I don;t see any cities actually getting better because mankind is just continuously getting worse. Full on degradation. This planet deserves an asteroid shoved up our asses because we no longer serve a greater purpose.

A smokin hot asteroid up the planets ass!Wow what is the phenomenon called?

#127 3 years ago

Karma.

#128 3 years ago

<blockquote cite

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

It was indeed nice to see for a brief second or two, the first month of COVID had some of the finest weather this planet (especially here in CA! ) has experienced since we humans discovered fire all those years ago. lol

For a brief month or so just after Covid hit, give or take, there was a period where driving around SoCal was a simple carefree experience. Even the freeways were practically empty. I have been pretty much isolating at home since the beginning, but I do have to go out because I am doing some caregiving-type help for a family member. It was really something going out and having no traffic anywhere.

There were only THREE other times I saw the LA freeways so empty.

Late 70s/early 80s, whenever the Dodgers were playing a world series game. If it was a weekday after work game, it was bizarre. No more rush hour!

1984 Olympics. There had be so much planning, pants-peeing, and outright fear of massive traffic jams that when it finally came time for the games, no one dared to go on the freeways. They were empty.

1992 LA Riots. I made ONE trip for work that I couldn't get out of, from Orange Country to the LA area. I remember that the freeway was pretty empty, and on top of that, literally everyone was driving 90-100 mph, or more. Its like, you knew there was no way any cops were going to be there worrying about freeway speeders. Or maybe, everyone was just mentally trying to outrun trouble. It was eerie.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

how big is your human footprint?

I’ll do my best to channel my inner O-Din:
    Uhhhh, 11-1/2”.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I’ll do my best to channel my inner O-Din:
    Uhhhh, 11-1/2”.

Good ole O-Din!I deleted my comment and my footprint is 13-1/2

#132 3 years ago

I honestly try to help Mother Earth by simply using water,electricity and other resources frugally.I tell my children to turn off lights and waste not want not.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I deleted my comment

You didn’t have to.
    I don’t get offended easily and would’ve happily shared said info.

If it makes you feel better, I’m not a Hollywood celebrity and I don’t drive a plug in, a hybrid, or even a car made in this decade.
    I like actual keys, and a motor that doesn’t shut off at every stop.

House was built in 1971.
    1600 sq ft, which I responsibly removed all hazardous asbestos+mastic back in 2008 and replaced insulation with a recycled denim/wool mixture that has a modest R15 value.
    AC only comes on if internal house temp reaches 86 degrees. (Which is usually right around 4pm during triple digits.)
    Fans are usually enough.

My lawn is not dick measuring evergreen as I don’t have a lawn, and I let the occasional CA rain water whatever’s hearty enough to withstand our summer heat.
    My weekly trash can is usually one kitchen bag for a family of three and one recycling bin about the same portion.
    I try to ride more miles on my bike than I drive in my car but since Covid hit, that’s an easy task.

I forgot the rest of the questions. lol

Oh, politics!
    Yes, I dislike modern politics very much.
    Abe Lincoln was cool though...he fought vampires, right?

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

You didn’t have to.
    I don’t get offended easily and would’ve happily shared said info.
    If it makes you feel better, I’m not a Hollywood celebrity and I don’t drive a plug in, a hybrid, or even a car made in this decade.
    I like actual keys, and a motor that doesn’t shut off at every stop.
    House was built in 1971.
    1600 sq ft, which I responsibly removed all hazardous asbestos+mastic back in 2008 and replaced insulation with a recycled denim/wool mixture that has a modest R15 value.
    AC only comes on if internal house temp reaches 86 degrees. (Which is usually right around 4pm during triple digits.)
    Fans are usually enough.
    My lawn is not dick measuring evergreen as I don’t have a lawn, and I let the occasional CA rain water whatever’s hearty enough to withstand our summer heat.
    My weekly trash can is usually one kitchen bag for a family of three and one recycling bin about the same portion.
    I try to ride more miles on my bike than I drive in my car but since Covid hit, that’s an easy task.
    I forgot the rest of the questions. lol
    Oh, politics!
    Yes, I dislike modern politics very much.
    Abe Lincoln was cool though...he fought vampires, right?

HaHa great post.Right on Brother!

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

We never put front plates on our cars. Never been pulled over for it.

I have been. Fixit ticket... had to buy plates because the other plate was missing and then buy a front frame kit, install it and drive to the CHP for inspection.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I have been. Fixit ticket... had to buy plates because the other plate was missing and then buy a front frame kit, install it and drive to the CHP for inspection.

Jesus Christ those politicians are up your ass trying to extract every dollar possible.One thing I learned the hard way is to never buy a vehicle with California emissions

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Paid $375 for my house in 1998. Now worth $2mil. I can provide a Zillow link of my neighborhood for those that don't believe it. Prop 13 allows me to keep my 1998 property taxes. The beach and snow is only a short drive away. I'll never leave

Significant reason why both taxes and property values in CA are f*cked.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Significant reason why both taxes and property values in CA are f*cked.

Huh? what are u talking about?

#139 3 years ago

The other thing that sucks, every time I take a drive down to PCH and the pier, I get in a fender bender for some reason. Its like I suddenly lost the ability to pay attention to the road in front of me.

USOpenGals (resized).jpgUSOpenGals (resized).jpg

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Prop 13 allows me to keep my 1998 property taxes. The beach and snow is only a short drive away. I'll never leave.

I wouldn’t count on that staying a whole lot longer. There are groups currently actively looking to dismantle Prop 13. It will start with businesses but won’t end there.

For those not familiar, the concept of Prop 13 is that they can only increase our assessed value for property tax by a limited percentage per year as long as you own the property (a sale resets the assessment). It allows homeowners to retain some stability and not be forced to sell their home due to suddenly no longer being able to afford the property tax for no fault of their own. It also allows businesses to project out with confidence that expense. One of the few tax statutes we have that actually makes sense.

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I wouldn’t count on that staying a whole lot longer. There are groups currently actively looking to dismantle Prop 13. It will start with businesses but won’t end there.
    For those not familiar, the concept of Prop 13 is that they can only increase our assessed value for property tax by a limited percentage per year as long as you own the property (a sale resets the assessment). It allows homeowners to retain some stability and not be forced to sell their home due to suddenly no longer being able to afford the property tax for no fault of their own. It also allows businesses to project out with confidence that expense. One of the few tax statutes we have that actually makes sense.

They've been talking about that for years....I doubt it will ever happen

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

They've been talking about that for years....I doubt it will ever happen

Never!

20048605-555D-42BA-97F6-F1539F111DA9 (resized).jpeg20048605-555D-42BA-97F6-F1539F111DA9 (resized).jpeg

#143 3 years ago

While I won't get into some of the more "interesting" political themes in this thread, I will say that we're leaving CA and it's almost entirely due to cost of living and more specifically cost of real estate. Every place has it's problems, there is no such thing as the "perfect place to live", and we LOVE living in CA and especially the SF Bay Area. But... I want more space, I want more room, and I am tired of my neighbors being so close to me that I feel claustrophobic... So we're moving to CO where I can get all the space I want with property taxes a fraction of what I pay now (like literally 1/4th the property taxes).

Jeff

#144 3 years ago

I would not live anywhere else. It’s the best place to live!!! San Diego is a top city to live in. The best weather in the USA. Shorts all year!!!

#145 3 years ago

I like the food, my friends, and what I do for a living is based here...although now that I’ll prob be working at home forever, I could prob move anywhere....but I just bought a new house here soooo, I guess I still like it here.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

What a crock of shit. Mexican flags are NOT everywhere. They also only occasionally show up like your confederate flag. Sounds like you're just more tolerant of the confederate flag.

Really? Salinas, Hollister, Gilroy, and the valley. I don't have a Confederate flag. They should only fly at re-enactments. I knew a troll would pop up once I wrote that. Guys like you guys are too easy to bait and show your colors. Right away throw out accusations with nothing to back them. There were no insults there but you tossed one. Real class.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

Really? Salinas, Hollister, Gilroy, and the valley. I don't have a Confederate flag. They should only fly at re-enactments. I knew a troll would pop up once I wrote that. Guys like you guys are too easy to bait and show your colors. Right away throw out accusations with nothing to back them. There were no insults there but you tossed one. Real class.

You’re coming off a little thin-skinned there, Tennessee.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Man u must have lived in a rough neighborhood ...

Salinas, Alisal, Hollister. Did not have the luxury of living in Carmel. Where I lived they took out the long lot single homes that were built before 1950 and put in apartments. Crammed all those families in them. Alisal became a nightmare. Look it up. Very sad.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

exactly. People are fleeing to TX and TN from there. I just hope they know why these states are amazing and learn to vote correctly. California will have NO middle class soon, only super rich and super poor.

Well said!

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

You’re coming off a little thin-skinned there, Tennessee.

No just don't like it when someone tries to tell me when I have seen it with my own eyes. There's no prejudiced, just observation. Moved here as an economic move and my family is all north of here in Yankee land. No rebels. Should state my dad's family are in the east our immediate family is in CA. Figured I would relocate eventually to Reno but a six hour drive to visit is a bit much. Looking forward to meeting up with my buddies from High school and college again, which most are Mexican in case that pops up.

There are 641 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-living-in-ca-worth-it/page/3?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.