29 days ago

Topic Stats

• 565 posts
  • 121 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by stumptown
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is living in Ca. worth it?”

• Yes 48 votes
      24%
    • No 38 votes
      19%
    • Hell No! 113 votes
      57%

(199 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

worldpopgr.gif
    B2C6D2B1-716F-48AB-9DA8-B0190B738585 (resized).jpeg
    A0A16A9A-F071-4622-BD47-0D3BB6E2F2B0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20150806_123403 (resized).jpg
    87FC6777-5D77-4F27-ACBF-C7F954A79D9A.gif
    21AF42B4-AE5E-40B0-931A-E70AB4F011F8 (resized).png
    5039201D-5667-462D-857A-21154253F4F0 (resized).jpeg
    D73C2D39-A785-4D98-B757-A19A2767DF60 (resized).png
    1C3FA4F3-2D36-4B11-B2A3-7EFA2C43DF4B (resized).jpeg
    28BD812E-EAA5-45F2-A25B-7E932CD6402C (resized).jpeg
    P-2401--Full-Front-Open-v2--500w (resized).jpg
    2BB550FE-D95F-4F35-9A65-E766FBC9C6F0.gif
    F1E065BE-7784-49B3-B373-464156CD5E37 (resized).jpeg
    129E569F-B1DF-484C-A477-02BCDD97604D (resized).png
    FFCCC02D-3E7A-465B-B935-0CB041ACB3C3 (resized).jpeg

There are 565 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
    #451 6 days ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Have you ever come into contact with Lt. Dangle?

Not in Reno. There is no such thing as "Reno Sheriff." It's all filmed in North Hollywood and Burbank where my old warehouse was. No palm trees in Reno.

#452 6 days ago
    Quoted from stumptown:

Go on... I'm sure there's some well informed opinions on the state coming.
    [quoted image]

Maybe you can explain the continued violence and why your at it explain this wimp Mayor Wheeler

#453 6 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Maybe you can explain the continued violence and why your at it explain this wimp Mayor Wheeler

Guy, you're living in Indiana watching the news. In reality, it's not unlike Chicago on most days.

#454 6 days ago

I really hope CA and other areas can get some rain or something to help with the fires very soon.

It sucks all the way around.

Close to a fire or in it = possible loss of life or property.

100's of miles away the smoke presents plenty of problems also.

I wish everyone the Best!

#455 6 days ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I really hope CA and other areas can get some rain or something to help with the fires very soon.
    It sucks all the way around.
    Close to a fire or in it = possible loss of life or property.
    100's of miles away the smoke presents plenty of problems also.
    I wish everyone the Best!

We appreciate it. Unfortunately rain isn’t going to happen. Later in October is when the rain will show up, if it decides to come.

The best we can hope for in SoCal is that the Santa Ana winds do NOT make their appearance. Unfortunately they are due. If you get a combo of high temps and the Santa Ana winds together then that is when true hellfire comes.

#456 6 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

The whole topic of the power situation in CA could be a big thread of its own with plenty of arguments. But basically these days when it gets super hot, in Socal the power company requests everyone to dial it down, especially between 3 and 7. Amazingly, everyone did pretty well on this and blackouts were minimal when we had that bad heat streak a few days ago. The central valley and NorCal are different, they have PG&E and because of the giant mess of the Camp fire they perform mandatory shutdowns in high risk areas with the goal of not starting more fires. So large swaths will just go without power, sometimes for extended periods.
    All that said, as of right now in Socal things are pretty good, temps are way down. It’s around 72 or so.
    Basically, it’s around 70-75 here about 340 days a year. It’s around 100 or so maybe 15 days. On the other 10 days it rains.

Temps are great here in the valley right now too. Its averaging 85 and forecasted to stay in that range for a while. We really only have about 6-8 weeks where the heat is really unbearable and thats what air conditioning is for.

The power situation is obnoxious. I have solar and I produce more than I use but because of the price structure I still have a high true up bill at the end of the year. Not enough to justify a battery system but with the 20% rate hike they are asking for (and will probably get rubber stamped) now it might get there.

#457 6 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

We appreciate it. Unfortunately rain isn’t going to happen. Later in October is when the rain will show up, if it decides to come.
    The best we can hope for in SoCal is that the Santa Ana winds do NOT make their appearance. Unfortunately they are due. If you get a combo of high temps and the Santa Ana winds together then that is when true hellfire comes.

What can be done in the future to slow down the amount of forest that burns?

#458 6 days ago

For all the crap we have to deal with in CA , i still think it is the best place to live ,work and play.

Where else can you bodyboard for breakfast and snowboard for lunch ,and earn enough to pay for it all and your pin addiction.

I will never forget that day at the Wedge ,long before the blackball bullshit. Traded waves with those guys for 6 hours

20150806_123403 (resized).jpg
    #459 6 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

That guy is an embarrassment

#460 6 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

This is a big topic with lots of discussion and debate.

If you want my answer? Nothing.

Forests gonna grow. Forests gonna get old and dry out. Lightnings gonna strike. Forests gonna burn. Then, forests gonna grow back again. And on it goes.

That's nature's way and has been for a long, long time (probably hundreds of thousands of years). We have as much chance as stopping it as we do earthquakes, tornadoes, and hurricanes.

I am not a actual scientist, I just play one on the internet.

#461 6 days ago
    Quoted from rvboarder:

For all the crap we have to deal with in CA , i still think it is the best place to live ,work and play.
    Where else can you bodyboard for breakfast and snowboard for lunch ,and earn enough to pay for it all and your pin addiction.
    I will never forget that day at the Wedge ,long before the blackball bullshit. Traded waves with those guys for 6 hours
    [quoted image]

I never had the guts to go into the water at that place. Lots of fun bodyboarding though on the other beaches.

#462 6 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

No one thing but better forrest management can help. We stopped about 20 years ago then bark beetles gourged themselves, then there were large amounts of dead dry and rotten trees left hanging around with nobody to remove them and then poof. At least when we had logging an area would get harvested, cleaned and replanted. Growing up my grandparents had a house near Eureka in the forrest. I remember being amazed at how quickly a lot would grow back after being cleared and replanted.

For homes in wooded areas, better defensible space, materials and construction/design can help improve odds somewhat but won’t guarantee anything.

#463 6 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

If you want my answer? Nothing.

True, nothing will stop them, it is part of the natural cycle of the forrest. All you have to do is look at how the native trees evolved to survive and even depend on fire. I think it can be slowed and made more manageable though.

#464 6 days ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

foutre le camp, mon frere. Montreal is one of the greatest cities in the world, it's too bad you want to be in Florida. The truth about you is quite obvious.

What a sad attempt to write/speak French you are waaaaay off. You know nothing about Montréal over taxed just like Cali, garbage, urine everywhere just like shit hole San Fransisco, potholes the size of a toilet bowl, <edited> careful what you wish for california !

#465 6 days ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

What a sad attempt to write/speak French you are waaaaay off. You know nothing about Montréal over taxed just like Cali, garbage, urine everywhere just like shit hole San Fransisco, potholes the size of a toilet bowl, <edited> careful what you wish for california !

I Googled it. Very SAD.

#466 6 days ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

the world you describe does not exist in my area

#467 6 days ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

the world you describe does not exist in my area

I like that little disclaimer "my area"...lol In general California has gone down the tubes and I never had to continue trashing it nor proving it, just have a look at the posts from californians before this one and it says it all... uhh maybe 15% of it. The smart ones understood it and are fleeing to Texas.

#468 6 days ago

Regarding California: The litmus test for me is seeing people who are earning decent wages (2 income families) moving in with young kids. They want to have somewhere safe for their kids to go to school and grow up. Granted a lot of the kids aren't well behaved or have manners - but tends to be the norm these days. Happy to still live out here in California and have friends trying to move out as well as people who moved out trying to move back in

My fear beyond the fires out here will be when rains start more mudslides and road closures. Anywhere you go you will have issues.

I am delighted to see neighbors though hauling upright video cabinets, pinball machines and gumball machines into their houses for their kids (which translates to they want to have them more than the kids do .

#469 6 days ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Our Governor is a douche bag.....I don't think power is an issue at the moment...temps are back to normal ...high 70's low 80's

Totally agree with douche bag assessment,saw him doing presser telling everybody else how to live and you know his AC stays on all day and he flys Gulfstream whenever he wants!Lib politicians are lying hypocrites!

#470 6 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Totally agree with douche bag assessment,see a presses telling everybody else how to live and you know his AC stays on all day and he flys Gulfstream whenever he wants!Lib politicians are lying hypocrites!

That is how progressives work. You live like a pauper while I live it up, do as i say not as I do.

#471 6 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

The fun thing about Wheeler is virtually everyone hates him, he does not have the chops to manage what has unfolded during his term and it is obvious. It'd be funny as shit if his waffling and attempts to stay balanced atop the fence weren't throwing gas onto the situation, and exacerbating long standing issues in the city.

As to the protests, I can't say much about that without touching on forbidden topics. Suffice to say the attempts by the authorities to use violence to bring a halt to protests originated by their use of violence have not been particularly productive.

#472 6 days ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

I like that little disclaimer "my area"...lol In general California has gone down the tubes and I never had to continue trashing it nor proving it, just have a look at the posts from californians before this one and it says it all... uhh maybe 15% of it. The smart ones understood it and are fleeing to Texas.

Not even sure what that means....my point was road maintenance i.e. pot holes, homeless, etc is dealt with on a local level (City / county) in California so yes it can vary by City or county....but of course you already knew that since your an expert on all things California

#473 6 days ago

What I am finding in my expert analysis of this thread is that the people who actually live in Cali think its worth living there.

Imagine that.

#474 6 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Here in Florida it has been raining every f'n day for the last 4 months and I've seen way too many tornado warnings for my liking. I wouldn't trade you, but I don't really enjoy this. I should move to Asheville.

#475 6 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Here in Florida it has been raining every f'n day for the last 4 months and I've seen way too many tornado warnings for my liking. I wouldn't trade you, but I don't really enjoy this. I should move to Asheville.

Ashville floods all the time...

#476 6 days ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Ashville floods all the time...

Even Tryon? Like high up on a mountain?

#477 6 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Even Tryon? Like high up on a mountain?

Oh I dont know, Im not a geologist I just know that area has flood issues.

I was there years ago on a golf trip and towns were impassable in some areas after a good rain.

#478 6 days ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Oh I dont know, Im not a geologist I just know that area has flood issues.
    I was there years ago on a golf trip and towns were impassable in some areas after a good rain.

I would not be in a valley. Up in the mountains with those awesome views is where I'd be. Tryon was kinda neat . It was like BF North Carolina but with waterfalls and horses. Spartanburg just down the road and Hendersonville/Asheville just up the road. And all in all a pretty temperate climate.

#479 6 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Lib politicians are lying hypocrites

Thats only 50% accurate. Any politician that relies on votes for a paycheck is/will become a liar. They are equal opportunity offenders.

#480 6 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I would not be in a valley. Up in the mountains with those awesome views is where I'd be. Tryon was kinda neat . It was like BF North Carolina but with waterfalls and horses. Spartanburg just down the road and Hendersonville/Asheville just up the road. And all in all a pretty temperate climate.

Fun fact, what you are experiencing is the bounce back effect. People from the north move to Florida, find out it gets really hot, and then bounce back up a bit to the mountains of NC. My family moved from Florida to Hendersonville NC when I was in college, and there are tons of Florida relocates all over the western part of the state.

#481 6 days ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Fun fact, what you are experiencing is the bounce back effect. People from the north move to Florida, find out it gets really hot, and then bounce back up a bit to the mountains of NC. My family moved from Florida to Hendersonville NC when I was in college, and there are tons of Florida relocates all over the western part of the state.

I believe it. I was mostly in Virginia as a child and loved it. Go fishing whenever I wanted. Go hiking or fossil/arrowhead hunting. It was great. Move to Florida and it's sand, palmettos, and heat/humidity. As a teenager I was glad to be in Florida vs. BF Virginia, but as a kid I hated it. I'm just tired of the f'n humidity and crazy weather. Florida does have nice, flat, pot hole free highways though.

#482 5 days ago
    Quoted from merccat:

No one thing but better forrest management can help. We stopped about 20 years ago then bark beetles gourged themselves, then there were large amounts of dead dry and rotten trees left hanging around with nobody to remove them and then poof. At least when we had logging an area would get harvested, cleaned and replanted. Growing up my grandparents had a house near Eureka in the forrest. I remember being amazed at how quickly a lot would grow back after being cleared and replanted.
    For homes in wooded areas, better defensible space, materials and construction/design can help improve odds somewhat but won’t guarantee anything.

I agree. The State also needs to let the utility companies clear the trees and brush around the rural power lines.

#483 5 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Either way they have some good food.... love Carolina BBQ and mustard sauces.

If I lived there i would be at constant heart attack risk from pork and beer.

#484 5 days ago
    Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

I agree. The State also needs to let the utility companies clear the trees and brush around the rural power lines.

So Cal Edison has taken out 18 trees on my property due to bark beetles.
    They had a deal to reimburse for their removal for a short while and I jumped on it.
    Biggest one was 47" across.
    They are still doing removals up here, anything that could fall on a line is gone or going.
    Not sure if this is a state or county issue.

#485 3 days ago

VLAT dropping phos-chek in Seven Oaks area.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #487 3 days ago

Man that just looks apocalyptic! I wish those folks could get our rain. This is the first rain free day I've had in awhile, but more to come tomorrow.

I think the way it works in California, they get the fires out, then it rains so much they have mudslides and flooding. F that!

#488 2 days ago

Air quality is back to normal in the Bay Area today...it was in the high teens this morning....over the weekend it was 170

#489 2 days ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Air quality is back to normal in the Bay Area today...it was in the high teens this morning....over the weekend it was 170

I’m so happy. Been out trimming my tomatoes all morning...more on that later

A0A16A9A-F071-4622-BD47-0D3BB6E2F2B0 (resized).png
    #490 2 days ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I’m so happy. Been out trimming my tomatoes all morning...more on that later
    [quoted image]

Its moving in the right direction

#491 2 days ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Been out trimming my tomatoes

What's that a euphemism for?

#492 2 days ago

Hold on. Lemme google...high school dropout here

#493 2 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

What's that a euphemism for?

Ok, so a bad word disguised as a good word...no really, I was out trimming my tomatoes

But I had a moment with someone while trimming which gave me a thread concept

B2C6D2B1-716F-48AB-9DA8-B0190B738585 (resized).jpeg
    #494 2 days ago

On vacation in ID right now. Mighty tempted to move here.

#495 2 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Florida does have nice, flat, pot hole free highways though.

Is that what makes the drivers so horrible? They love clogging up the passing lane. Gotta drive like Frogger to get anywhere in decent time.

#496 2 days ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

On vacation in ID right now. Mighty tempted to move here.

You will need to change your username if you do.

#497 2 days ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

IdaHoeRealtor

#498 2 days ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Thats only 50% accurate. Any politician that relies on votes for a paycheck is/will become a liar. They are equal opportunity offenders.

How does one know when a politician isn’t lying?

When he/she stops talking

#499 2 days ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

In your city now. At Settlers Park. A mighty fine park.

#500 2 days ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

In your city now. At Settlers Park. A mighty fine park.

Check out Kathryn Albertson park if you have time. It's really nice there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Tools
    Granby Games
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 64.95
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 565 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside