5 days ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Leeb18509
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

untitled (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    test rom (resized).JPG

#1 5 days ago

I just downloaded Leon's test ROM Lastver4. I'm always cautious about opening zip files. I know Pinwiki has been hacked a few times lately.

Has anyone used this file lately? Is it safe?

Thanks

Bob

test rom (resized).JPG
    #2 5 days ago

That's just a Wiki warning because it can't scan binary files.

Yeah, it's safe. Assuming nothing is *majorily* wrong with your game, the ROM won't set it on fire or anything.

If something IS seriously wrong with your game, then Leon's ROM won't make it worse.

#3 5 days ago

Just remember that if you do use it in a real machine (versus on the bench) that you should disconnect all the connectors on the CPU board except the power (+5V,GND and/or +12V) connector.

#4 5 days ago

I think he’s worried about a virus in the zip file.

#5 5 days ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

I think he’s worried about a virus in the zip file.

Yes, exactly.

Has anyone downloaded it recently?

Thanks

Bob

#6 5 days ago

How does unzipping a ROM data file introduce a virus? Does zip have some kind of auto-execution feature that can be abused? Seems to me nothing is getting executed here.

#7 4 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

How does unzipping a ROM data file introduce a virus? Does zip have some kind of auto-execution feature that can be abused? Seems to me nothing is getting executed here.

Some zip files do.

However, not in this case.

pinwiki just completed a review of their files, so it should be fine.

Also, I'm assuming you have anti-virus software installed? Run a scan on the file if you are still apprehensive.

#8 4 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

How does unzipping a ROM data file introduce a virus?

I heard about a guy who downloaded the test ROM, he debugged his game and 7 days later he died a horrible death.

#9 4 days ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

I heard about a guy who downloaded the test ROM, he debugged his game and 7 days later he died a horrible death.

giphy.gif
    #10 4 days ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

That did it. I'm not going to open it - it probably has Coronavirus.

#11 4 days ago

That's simply the wiki platform's stock malware scanner. That is most likely Motorola 6800 code, and no pinball code from the 80s and 90s will run on x86 desktop processors anyway (aside from Pinball 2000 machine code, which is still utterly useless without all of the proprietary hardware or a hardware emulator).

#12 4 days ago

One more question - I've rebuilt several Bally and Stern MPU's. So far all have tested good on the bench but none have been tested in games.

Would running Leon's test ROM help to determine if the MPU will work in a game? Would you bother to run the test ROM on a board that tests fine on the bench?

Thanks

Bob

#13 4 days ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

One more question - I've rebuilt several Bally and Stern MPU's. So far all have tested good on the bench but none have been tested in games.
    Would running Leon's test ROM help to determine if the MPU will work in a game? Would you bother to run the test ROM on a board that tests fine on the bench?
    Thanks
    Bob

The test ROM is mainly a diagnostic tool for various MPU functions. I don't normally use test ROMs unless there's a problem that needs to be investigated.

If you're just bench testing to see if the LED blinks, that's only 80% of checking a board. You also would need to check all the inputs and outputs in either a test rig or an actual game. The on-board LED diagnostic only checks if the MPU can boot, and not necessarily that all the I/O functions are working correctly.

#14 4 days ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Thanks
    Bob

Leon test rom is mostly for checking that the PIA ports work.

The built in power on self test included in the normal bally / stern software is better in most cases but sometimes the bally POST can't detect a dead PIA port.

#15 4 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Also, I'm assuming you have anti-virus software installed? Run a scan on the file if you are still apprehensive.

For extra assurance it could also be checked at https://www.virustotal.com; that will do an online scan of the file through multiple, updated anti-virus engines (typically 50 or more).

#16 4 days ago
    Quoted from SonicZone:

For extra assurance it could also be checked at https://www.virustotal.com; that will do an online scan of the file through multiple, updated anti-virus engines (typically 50 or more).

See my previous post as this is not needed.

#17 3 days ago

I downloaded the file. Last night I unzipped it and all seems fine on the computer. Tonight I try to burn a test ROM.

Thanks

Bob

#18 3 days ago
    untitled (resized).png
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Women
    The Flipper Room
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 90.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Tools
    Granby Games
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 40.00
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside