(Topic ID: 272903)

Is LED OCD worth it if you already have Non Ghosting LEDs?

By Oldschool77

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Oldschool77
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200711_102957 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

So i LED'd my Space Station this weekend with non ghosting Comet LEDs....and i've always disliked the instant on/off of LEDs in general...the LED OCD boards are cheap enough i wanna give it a try, but i read that the non-ghosting LEDs will not have quite as smooth of a transition and the normal "cheap" ones when using this board. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Thanks!

Pics attached just for the heck of it!

20200711_102957 (resized).jpg
    #2 6 months ago

If you own a Capcom you definitely require LEDOCD

#3 6 months ago

They are an absolute must if you light the attack/decay of the incandescent lamps but want to run LEDS. The board comes with decent standard timings to get things close to the way they were, but you can customize every bulb. It makes a tremendous difference, buy it!

#4 6 months ago

I have both led and gi ocd boards in all four of my older games. Makes a huge difference to me. Games look more fluid and natural with all the benefits of leds. You also can tune the brightness. I did that on my FH I just finished up. Inserts were way too bright for my liking so I turned them all down. Some larger inserts needed a little more brightness so I adjusted those. In the end, I got everything exactly like I wanted with all the fade effects and no ghosting.

I don't think you can run non ghosting bulbs with these boards, though. They will prevent fading effects since they are designed to only turn on at full power.

#5 6 months ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I have both led and gi ocd boards in all four of my older games. Makes a huge difference to me. Games look more fluid and natural with all the benefits of leds. You also can tune the brightness. I did that on my FH I just finished up. Inserts were way too bright for my liking so I turned them all down. Some larger inserts needed a little more brightness so I adjusted those. In the end, I got everything exactly like I wanted with all the fade effects and no ghosting.
    I don't think you can run non ghosting bulbs with these boards, though. They will prevent fading effects since they are designed to only turn on at full power.

Damn...wish i had asked this question prior to buying and installing all non ghosting in my inserts.

Thanks!

#6 6 months ago

Have both boards in JM and it is pretty amazing on that title. Looks great. GI LED OCD board is awesome when you get to powerdown mode. Recommended.

#7 6 months ago
    Quoted from Oldschool77:

Damn...wish i had asked this question prior to buying and installing all non ghosting in my inserts.
    Thanks!

There are varying opinions on this, but I think you can get acceptable results with non-ghosting LEDs plus LED OCD. It helps to use the software to increase the minimum brightness level to around 40% in order to avoid the "non-ghosting uncertainty area". It's just harder to get consistent results since there is extra hardware between the LED OCD and the LED emitter.

One way to describe the results, trying to keep it simple.
    LED OCD with regular bulbs - 9/10 (not perfect, but very good)
    LED OCD with non-ghosting, tweaked - 8/10
    LED OCD with non-ghosting, defaults - 7/10
    No LED OCD, non-ghosting - 5/10 (depends heavily on the manufacturer and era)
    No LED OCD, regular bulbs - 3/10 (depends heavily on the manufacturer and era)

#8 6 months ago
    Quoted from herg:

There are varying opinions on this, but I think you can get acceptable results with non-ghosting LEDs plus LED OCD. It helps to use the software to increase the minimum brightness level to around 40% in order to avoid the "non-ghosting uncertainty area". It's just harder to get consistent results since there is extra hardware between the LED OCD and the LED emitter.
    One way to describe the results, trying to keep it simple.
    LED OCD with regular bulbs - 9/10 (not perfect, but very good)
    LED OCD with non-ghosting, tweaked - 8/10
    LED OCD with non-ghosting, defaults - 7/10
    No LED OCD, non-ghosting - 5/10 (depends heavily on the manufacturer and era)
    No LED OCD, regular bulbs - 3/10 (depends heavily on the manufacturer and era)

Thank you very much for the info!!! So if i'm understanding correctly, non-ghosting will still fade up and down, but the starting point on the "off" side is greater. I.E. at some point they still "switch" on and off. For me i really want just want to be able to dial the brightness down about 10-20% and not have instant on/off.

Space Station has no fade effects (System 11B) for the Inserts lighting, so i may be better off then a newer game with non-ghosting bulbs in AND LED OCD..

#9 6 months ago

Yes, it will still fade up and down. Since non-ghosting bulbs sometimes turn on, sometimes don't at those low brightness levels (20% or so), you can get flicker if that is included in the profile. This does come into play during LED OCD fades as well as when the game is doing the fade effects.

To avoid the flicker you have to tell the LED OCD to avoid everything 1%-39% or something like that, depending on the bulbs. As a result, when LED OCD is doing fades, it has to go directly from 0% to 40%, so the fade is not as smooth as you can get with standard bulbs.

#10 6 months ago
    Quoted from herg:

Yes, it will still fade up and down. Since non-ghosting bulbs sometimes turn on, sometimes don't at those low brightness levels (20% or so), you can get flicker if that is included in the profile. This does come into play during LED OCD fades as well as when the game is doing the fade effects.
    To avoid the flicker you have to tell the LED OCD to avoid everything 1%-39% or something like that, depending on the bulbs. As a result, when LED OCD is doing fades, it has to go directly from 0% to 40%, so the fade is not as smooth as you can get with standard bulbs.

Great info, thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 11.95
    $ 360.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 999.00
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 337.00
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 999.00
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside