Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by daudioguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
    IMG_7533 (resized).PNG
    1tpzdw (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vanilla.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

When I play machines like that, I find myself wishing they would program the machines with the simple, bold, graphics that they were forced to use on DMDs. ... (just in higher resolution for the new screens.)
    The screen isn't the game, it's just a user-interface, simplify it so I can absorb it with the quickest of glances. Leave the movie clips for attract mode.
    But I can't tell if that's a legitimate insight, or just me being a stodgy old man.

Yep, all I need are quick glances. I mean, when my ball-in-play hits an animated playfield feature like, say, a vari-target or a messenger ball, I look at the target or messenger ball for all of what.. one second? That's all I need. Then my eyes are gone from there, moving elsewhere to follow the ball-in-play. Once I realize that a backglass or playfield display is pulling my eyes away to watch a movie clip or other tie-in, I'm turned off.

When High Speed and Indiana Jones DMD first played those brief DMD video games (car race, swap cups) I worried if that was the beginning of a transition away from pinball and towards video. As long as game play is halted, I suppose I can look at the backglass display. Like when I earn an extra ball, it's gratifying to watch the short DMD animation to tell you what you've won. I always enjoyed the match animation sequences on the DMD games at game over. Many were artfully clever.

I suspect the advent of LCD requires the programmers to avoid fears of under-using this new technology so we will see many examples of over-use. If an LCD just kept the scores present and occasionally threw up something to make me laugh, I'd be ok, rather than see clips from the license tie-ins and make me think how clever the programmers were, something which I'd rather not think about while playing. I'd rather laugh.

Quoted from mbaumle:

Multimorphic seems to be really pushing boundaries.

I’ll say. I went to their site just now and Norton Safe Web blocked me, citing 14 computer threats.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vanilla.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-lcd-bad-for-pinball?tu=vanilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.