Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by daudioguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
    IMG_7533 (resized).PNG
    1tpzdw (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 6 years ago

If they can get through the growing pains, no. My biggest problem with LCDs is it takes away the peppy, cartoonish zip that good dots had. Brevity is the soul of wit, and LCDs make it easier to screw up your presentation - it's obviously not a universal opinion, but I think the animations in Aerosmith are absolutely revolting. Stern was rarely good at dots to begin with, so it's no surprise their transition to a bigger, more complex, and highly detailed presentation form would come with a bunch of stumbling (SW is nearly incomprehensible when it ventures outside of merely providing information).

JJP has had more practice, but they haven't nailed it, either - The Hobbit is overwhelming if you're a new player, and Dialed In is missing that spark that makes Lawlor's best pins feel alive and theatrical. It's not funny or menacing enough, and the disasters don't feel neatly delineated and purposeful like they do in his best mode game, RS, which probably has the best modes of any pin in that they're instantly understandable, they all feel unique, and the balance of dots to physical gameplay is pretty even. It's more difficult to manage that when you've got a huge, semi-photorealistic image to work with - would the Minnesota mode work with Dialed In's graphics? Or is there something about the limited nature of dots that makes that mode funnier and more effective?

Out of all the LCD pins I've played (all of them, I think), so far Alien is the only one where the gameplay and LCD action feel naturally linked. They did an amazing job of creating a cohesive atmosphere and utilizing a few concepts to link everything together, and they used things like video glitches and the MUTHUR interface to link together relatively disparate clips and make it all function as a single piece. The medium is the message, as they say. The relatively huge, high-detail real estate of the LCD demands much, much more information management than dots did, and finding ways to make the display of the display function is a whole challenge by itself.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Aside from the games with FMV rips & the last few with down-rezzed CG work, Stern was very good at dots. Metallica & ACDC's dots had excellent & fun design & animation. LOTR, TSPP, FGY, POTC, etc - all had fantastic dots that were equal or better to B/W's best.

You know, you're right, actually, they did some good stuff, though I don't agree on AC/DC at all - I guess I'm just soured by their recent efforts, and I think it just comes down to overall presentation as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-lcd-bad-for-pinball?tu=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.