Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by daudioguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
    IMG_7533 (resized).PNG
    1tpzdw (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 6 years ago

If anything, LCD probably lowers the cost of the machine to the manufacturer. It's obvious an LCD screen is cheaper than a DMD, and I would also doubt that programming for it is any more expensive -- video editors and digital graphic artists are ubiquitous and tend to skew young. They're a dime a dozen, and can use any major industry standard tools to do the video. Meanwhile, people who can do DMD art are much less common and probably more senior members of the industry, and need knowledge of proprietary software. in other words more expensive.

anyway, it's not like Stern wasn't making severely minimalistic playfields before the LCD anyway.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

I only have time to glance up during little pauses in play, or for a split second when the ball is near the pops bumpers or on a ramp. For me, the DMD and LCD are just added extras and I do not place great emphasis on them.
    I have just as much fun playing a Funhouse or Whirlwind as I do a Batman 66 (with its LCD) or Tron (with its DMD). I think that too much emphasis is being placed on LCD's instead of what is under the glass IMO.

Stern was neglecting what's under the glass long before they switched to LCD. it's specious to blame sparse playfields on the LCD.

#44 6 years ago

Either way it sounds like neither of you agree with the premise that new screens are stealing from the playfield budget.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Hasn't everyone complained about there still being old dated dmds in games, and why haven't they moved to lcd's pretty much since Avengers? Now there are lcd everyone is complaining they want their dots back?

this is extremely weird use of the word "everyone".

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

I can't even see why this is a debate. Score reels worked but were fiddly and noisy. Electronic Numeric displays worked better and were silent. Alpha Numeric gave us more options than before. DMD was great for it's time and made everything before feel outdated for 20 years. Color DMD helps ALOT but to be honest, LCD is easier, cheaper and better. Yeah there will be that awkward period (that we are IN) where they're figuring out the tech and especially how to implement it, but it'll pass.
    I really think Stern should go back a year or two and redo some recent titles with LCD for the next run. I'd love to see GOT or Walking Dead with the LCD screen.

They should redo the playfield art on GoT while they're at it...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-lcd-bad-for-pinball?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.