Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by daudioguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
    IMG_7533 (resized).PNG
    1tpzdw (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gunstarhero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

Not in my opinion... the one color DMD was great but it was time for pinball to move on years ago. Whether it was Pinball 2000, or JJP style displays, or the new Stern displays, or hell even just a Color DMD , once you replace that old display with something in color the game seems fresh and new, and the games around it seem older. And that's what people want to buy or drop quarters into.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from nikpinball:

JJP has done it and not forced too much reliance on the screen although they do some on hobbit. Star Wars really forces you to look at the screen and has taken away alot of the visual cues on the field from lights. 1 screen good.... 2 screens, kind of irritating.

Doesn't Hobbit have 2 screens too?

#62 6 years ago

I can't even see why this is a debate. Score reels worked but were fiddly and noisy. Electronic Numeric displays worked better and were silent. Alpha Numeric gave us more options than before. DMD was great for it's time and made everything before feel outdated for 20 years. Color DMD helps ALOT but to be honest, LCD is easier, cheaper and better. Yeah there will be that awkward period (that we are IN) where they're figuring out the tech and especially how to implement it, but it'll pass.

I really think Stern should go back a year or two and redo some recent titles with LCD for the next run. I'd love to see GOT or Walking Dead with the LCD screen.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

They should redo the playfield art on GoT while they're at it...

I didn't think it was THAT bad but yeah, a minor restyle probably wouldn't hurt.

#68 6 years ago

Eventual nothing. The Future is Now. Does anyone really have DMD games on the way..? Besides the "CGC Remakes" which are really just aping it anyway using a LCD in a DMD style.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

LSD certainly was a game changer.

And the install... so simple!

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

LOL. Yeah, that might help the poor schmucks like us who put them in their houses. But the average person who is going to pump a few bucks in at a time, the price of the game doesn't matter one bit.

Matters to ops.

Cheaper games, placed at more locations, make money back faster, can be replaced sooner, and more used games for the home market.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Games that earn is far more important than their initial cost...
    That's why Ops can run games that cost 10s of thousands of dollars. They earn, then they sell them for their residual value.

I'm not going to assume you don't know ops... but the ones I know are very choosy in this era of $6K pins.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Multimorphic has the same problem on a bigger scale - their 90's quality art & animation makes the platform look less modern to the average person. At least a pinball with a janky LCD score display can still get by on an attractive traditional playfield. Mulitmorphic's downfall is they haven't invested in an excellent art director and animation team, and the platform depends purely on the screen's visuals. Revenge From Mars' art direction was great at the time - and resolution aside, still holds up today due to good art direction.

Right. A pin is just a pin. So it damn better have something special and new. The LCD is special and new. In my local arcade my op buddy told me Batman '66 prints money and Aerosmith is doing real well. The "players" may still go to GOT or Walking Dead, but all the casuals go to the LCD games.

Anyways, the era of LCD is upon us, so it is what it is.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gunstarhero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-lcd-bad-for-pinball?tu=gunstarhero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.