You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor (10) (resized).png
microphone4 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190405-172600_Chrome (resized).jpg
f8e45a7930231cd6697dc7f7b8d09b3b2fc7176e (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

Sure sounds like it. Here's what was said at TPF.

Jack said JJP ordered X amount of parts for X amount of games and that Pirates is currently done / sold out. He didn't say that Pirates will never be made again but also didn't say "yes it will be" or something along those lines. There was no comment of "if there's more demand we will make more". Jack also mentioned that JJP needs to make room for future games.

If Pirates ever does come back I would expect some new "limited" edition but with a $11,500+ price tag a year or two from now like YBR.

Here's also what PinballStar, one of the largest JJP distributors, said in one of their latest emails. "Sold out for good".

f8e45a7930231cd6697dc7f7b8d09b3b2fc7176e (1) (resized).jpgf8e45a7930231cd6697dc7f7b8d09b3b2fc7176e (1) (resized).jpg

#25 5 years ago

Mentioned something similar in another thread. JJP may not be able to survive on ultra high pins alone and games like POTC and WOZ may simply be too expensive for them to build. Look at Ruby Red WOZ, gone. That game was $9500 and now there's an $11,500 WOZ with a key mechanical feature removed and no mirrored backglass. Why not offer a Ruby Red still? They may not be able to, not at $9500. Will the Ruby Red WOZ ever come back? Jack didn't say yes, just like Pirates he said never say never but I seriously doubt it after YBR was revealed.

Pirates production may be ending for good as the game is to expensive to build and JJP wants to shift their direction as a pinball company. They are limiting their customer base by only offering games in the $9k+ range. All new future games starting with Willy Wonka may be scaled back in terms of features (same code commitment though, HQ animations, etc) to compete with Stern, American Pinball, CGC, and Spooky Pinball. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a $7k Willy Wonka as that would sell like hot cakes for JJP. JJP could still offer an $8k, $9k, or even $10k version of their games but the price for the "lower" model needs to be cheaper for them to grow their market share.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I think any game going forward from JJP is going to be $9k for the lowest version, at minimum. JJP just keeps raising prices.

Looks like POTC will be my last NIB JJP then. These prices are nuts lol.

1 week later
#55 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I wonder if they are done, where do they go with the code?
Put in the wizard mode and be done? The only thing I notice not coded in is the LED's in the two upper pop bumpers. They work in test but not from what I have seen in game play. Is there a thread for code requests for this game?
How does this end?

JJP will complete the code properly, they have done so for every other game they have made. At TPF Eric said Keith had been working on the games super wizard mode. It's also been nearly 4 months since a code update for the game so likely a lot of other stuff in there as well (hopefully).

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not sure what you want from these guys.
The last time they sold a game for around $7,000 - the WOZ launch - they lost a ton of money on each game sold.
If you want them to go back to that price point you are going to get something stripped down and lacking in your precious "toys" and it won't be a JJP machine as you know it.
If you want a cheap, functional, fun pinball machine, there is exactly ONE option, now and forever - a Stern pro. If you want something "more" than that you are going to pay more. A lot more. JJP needs to stay in business and selling games CHEAPER than they are now ain't gonna cut it.

I'm sure some people will keep paying more and more but at this point I can't, not at $10k+. With each price increase JJP is going to be limiting their customer base even more, as will Stern. At some point there will be a breaking point if prices keep increasing.

#68 5 years ago

Pirates is done for goodScreenshot_20190405-172600_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190405-172600_Chrome (resized).jpg

#100 5 years ago

Just to note. Kaneda said he spoke to Jack yesterday about Pirates (while at the JJP factory to play Willy Wonka) and mentioned that Jack said a Pirates Black Pearl edition will never be made. It also sounded like there are no plans to ever run Pirates again with the direction JJP is going.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I agree they will get the code completed with super wizard mode. I hope you are right as well. More "assets" would be great (not gonna happen), but more lights/ sounds at the right times would be much appreciated. I would expect Keith to be directed to future projects if as you say Pirates is done. We will see.

Yeah. If JJP is planning to make 2 games a year then the entire programming team is going to be even busier at JJP. Hopefully the next Pirates update is a substantial update as it may be a while before Keith can return to it if has to start working on another game soon. Keith isn't on Willy Wonka code as Kaneda mentioned yesterday but rather Joe Katz. That may mean Keith gets to work on Pirates for a bit longer before starting a new game.

7 months later
#153 4 years ago

As others have said I think JJP wants to move onto more affordable and profitable games. Wonka is an example of that, Pirate's isn't. I would expect to see more games like Wonka in the future meaning slightly less mechanical features / toys compared to past titles but still the same focus on build and code quality.

3 months later
#177 4 years ago

While I don't think Pirates will be rerun I do question the delays with releasing new code for the game. Could JJP be timing a new big code update with a TPF announcement that the game is being rerun?

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

At this point that would be my Guess. In an awesome way Keith is a perfectionist so I suspect he is using the time he has to release a typical value added code update vs a simple bug fix. Plus a smart marketing move to present at the show and possibly have Eric illustrate the upgrades though unlikely.

Are these upgrades just a rumor?

JJP really hasn't released any code updates in a while. I suppose they could release a few at TPF along side the network update feature.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Hearing mixed things on this.. I had a Distro tell me POTC would be run again this year.. Time will tell.

Multiple people have heard the opposite from distubtors, and recently, so what's the deal? Lol

#211 4 years ago

Pirates is done. Time for JJP to make more profit on slightly less loaded and complex games.

#220 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

POTC a good game is way overpriced and the reason foreign operations could not sell them and sent them back. Don’t think if pricing was actually Jack’s decision they’d be priced so high. Guessing it is the investors saying we want a big return from all the losses to date. Isn’t that why they ran YBR at $11.5k to bring in much needed revenue?
If POTC could be run at a more reasonable price, they’d sell fairly well I’d guess. It’s better to make less per machine and keep the factory rolling, than make a high margin on just a few and keep stalling the assembly line and only making one game every 2 years or so.

Good grief. Do you see what Stern is charging for $9k lately? Theres no way in hell Pirates could be run cheaper. That game is loaded more then 99% of pins out there. Seriously theres twice as much stuff in Pirates LE then say Stranger Things LE.

The JJP bashing from the usual suspects has gotten old these past few weeks.

#222 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I just got an Elvira LE, which is probably the most mech-heavy game I've seen from Stern in quite a while. It even has subways! It has a moving staircase ramp, mechanical trunk ("chest"), a moving, opening/closing bash toy, and a whole bunch of diverters. Huge improvement IMO from Stern in the "what you get in the box" department. That game runs about the same as the Pirates LE did, and it's not even remotely close to the BOM as POTC.

Congrats on the new pin! I really liked playing an Elvira Premium on location and can see picking one up. I wish all Sterns were treated the same in regards to number of mechanical features and 3D molds.

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Totally! The playfield looks great, which - while I’d love to be a purist in terms of the gameplay and innovative rules - let’s face it, the game has to look good too. At least in my house

That's great to hear. I'm a big fan of Hobbit as well and its ruleset. You mentioned some similarities with EOH ruletset and Hobbits. Does EOH have a deep progressive based ruleset with a lot of individual modes and some wizard modes?

Thanks!

#233 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I wouldn’t say the rule set is similar - what I meant was that the total integration of the theme is on the same level. So TH feels like you’re on a long journey filled with all these awesome battles and dramatic moments, but you’re still able to choose which modes to start and how you progress.
In EHOH, there are fewer modes thus far, but the integration is REALLY well done. I grew up watching Movie Macabre, and the new scenes they shot really call back to that old show. They look better but they feel like they would fit right in. There are a ton of different things that can happen at once - start a mode, a progressive multiball starts, then all these additional modes can start; lock a ball in the trunk and you have to gather items to progress through the house.
The actual modes are well thought out too - for example in Night of the Living Dead, the first shot is “get to the house!” And then you knock off zombies with each subsequent shot.
The modes don’t give you the same shots each time either; sometimes you are presented with 2 or 3 options, hit those, and different shots appear. It’s really clear what to hit and when.
There are TONS of callbacks to the other 2 Elvira games as well, so that’s pretty cool to see. And in the last update the House itself started to get more interactive

That's awesome! Thanks for the details about the modes. The code sounds very well done.

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I would buy one if they made more.
Personally, I don’t see why they would not re-examine the idea of making more so they could recoup their costs and potentially make more in profits. Unless licensing is an issue of course.
If I was a betting man, then yes, they will at a minimum have another run of them.

I don't think JJP ever makes it again. They are now focused on games with a greater profit margin that also offers a more affordable model for home and operators (the SE model starting with Wonka). It's time for JJP to start getting two games out a year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-jjp-really-done-with-pirates-?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.