Screenshot_20180301-192701 (resized).png
Screenshot_20180301-192946 (resized).png
bd5f117a77113f12799f5fbe24b064a5 (resized).jpg
256zp1 (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
zzzz1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180217-064537 (resized).png
The_Wizard_of_Oz_Judy_Garland_Terry_1939 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

one would think with all the cash JJP is pulling in right now, they'd ramp up and strike while the iron's hot. it sounds like all three games are homeruns and yet they've only make three games in seven years. but maybe that's their business model.

You can't count the total time since JJP had issues with WoZ and Hobbit getting them up to speed, but the gap between Woz and Hobbit was 3 years, while the gap between Hobbit and Dialed In release was only one year, and they're on track to release jjPotC with a one year gap again, so JJP is on the cusp of getting two games a year out, which Jack stated as a short term goal. They're making rapid progress now.

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Not sure WWELE will ever sell out

WWE LE was a sellout theme that can't sell out. Ironic.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't know about JJP, but KFC is certainly looking to price itself out of business.
Over 8 bucks for a 3 piece meal. Sheesh....

That smoky mountain BBQ with the pickles is pretty tasty, though...

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from Pathfinder:

Just curious - what is the typical pay-back time for a new $8K machine for the typical operator? That is, net of venue costs, maintenance, etc., how many years does it take to cover the cost of the machine?

If the earnings stay consistent, it would be about 4 years on the route I help with for a JJP pin. Stern Premium about a year less. But the problem is that except for WoZ, both the other JJP pin earnings have dropped off substantially after the first 6 months or so. WoZ is the only one that keeps earning at a consistent level.

I will say, though, that the pinball renaissance keeps pulling more people in on location as word gets out about new pins in the wild, and total earnings go up as a result. So as long as prices don't keep accelerating, the location market should continue widening.

#312 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm jonesing hard for a new game and DI is on my radar. Can afford DI, but having hard time justifying the price.

If you have to justify the price, you can't really afford it. Every penny is in the machine. No corners cut. Just ignore the idiotic headphone jack placement at your knees.

#320 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Good luck with that. There is literally ONE for sale around here, and it ain't going for 8...

We'll have an LE up for 7800 soon.

#322 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Some of the corners around the scoops have been cutting Clear Coat actually.

Not with the real Cliffies they're shipping with now, they haven't.

#325 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Vireland, what's your opinion on cliffies and what do you think about the placement of the headphone jack?

Hold on a sec, I'll make a graph...

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

You really hate that. May I ask why? I think it's just fine there.

Because unless you have monkey arms, it's out of easy reach, especially compared to the WoZ/Hobbit placement right in the coin door. Also, on location it's TERRIBLE because it's the perfect height for little kids that like to play with buttons or jam whatever food or snot they have in convenient holes. It's a solution for a problem that didn't exist and is objectively less player friendly than the coin door placement they had.

But really, in 2018 why do we have physical jacks at all? Why not Bluetooth headphone connections?

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

Solution: Get the standard edition

The value-add extras of the LE make that impossible with JJP. They have the most fairly-priced LEs out there with actual things you want.

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It's a solution to the problem of the custom coin door costing 10x as much as a stock one, and also it prevented the use of a bill acceptor. It's in the lower left side of the cabinet because that's the only place it wasn't in the way of something else.
I mean, I've mentioned this to you multiple times and you just refuse to see that there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why the headphone jack is where it is. You're like a dog with a bone on that one.

There is NO WAY, none, ZERO - that coin door cost 10x more with the headphone jack cut out of it. Total BS. If they got that quote it's time to cut that supplier loose. I've done a lot of manufacturing in China, and that just didn't happen in any reasonable scenario. A coin door from China is something like $40 (no idea what their quantities are, but it could be even less if they order a lot and warehouse it). You're saying that adding a jack cutout (we're not talking about the electronics, that's needed regardless of where the jack is placed) makes it $400? No. Nu-uh. If the cost of the jack placement coming in at 10x as much is the reason they ditched it, they need to get a new supply chain manager, they've failed at their job.

And the new cabinet jack placement objectively sucks for user convenience and on location with terrible kids that it's the perfect height for.

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Low volume, and it's more custom than just the headphone cutout. But hey, you know better than them, clearly. I look forward to your new coin door design that costs the same as a regular door.

Even 1000 isn't THAT low volume, and given that Hobbit and WoZ are still using the better headphone placement in the door, they're clearly still buying them. Plus, the kicker is that they sold and are still selling those machines for LESS money with the "10x more expensive coin doors." Plus, Jack indicated in direct conversation I had with him last year that the headphone placement was what Pat wanted when I asked WHY it was moved to that god-awful placement. His response to my question about why Pat moved it - he simply shrugged (then I think he said something about Pat getting what he wants, but I'm not 100% sure on that part of the conversation, it was almost a year ago). From the horse's mouth, so cost was not the issue - it was Pat's design CHOICE.

And if cost were the issue (it's not - debunked above) for the coin door, then it SHOULD be a simple cutout for the headphone jack plate in the coin door instead of all those tiny holes drilled in the door for the lights, etc. Then that plate can be assembled in a separate universal process that works across all their machines. Plug that preassembled plate into the coin door receptacle above the lock and viola!

#339 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Low volume, and it's more custom than just the headphone cutout. But hey, you know better than them, clearly. I look forward to your new coin door design that costs the same as a regular door.

Hey, sure, I'll freelance design and manufacturing setup with my Chinese peeps for JJP, but I'm not doing it for free. And besides, JJP has an engineering team, so why is that even NECESSARY?

#345 6 years ago
Quoted from Pathfinder:

Does anyone know what the topper on the POTC CE is going to look like? I'd really like to talk myself into one, but it is so much more expensive than a regular edition. Is the topper really worth 3K extra?

There's a brief shot of it on one of the reveal videos. It's the Black Pearl ship in a giant bottle with the ocean and the ship (bottle?) gently rocks back and forth. Pretty neat, but the AfM LE one is still the best so far, hands down.

#351 6 years ago
Quoted from Raincity:

Good point. Too bad there isn't a Keira Knightley version of the playfield.

Yeah, it's weird that they have TWO Depp solo versions and only one Davy Jones. A Depp solo one, a Depp/Will/Elizabeth one in a triangle orientation, and a Davy Jones might have been nice for variety.

#353 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any word on what the LE topper design will be?

IS there an LE topper? I wasn't aware one was planned...I thought it was only the CE.

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep le gets a topper... probably something like ecwoz style if i had to guess

I hope CGC has at least upped the LE topper bar for JJP a LITTLE. It's awesome, and JJP deserves to be competitive.

#380 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Man I hope they do this, even if expensive. I want that topper for my LE.
I would buy a CE but I think the barnacles look cheezy and don’t care for having Davey Jones all over the machine.
Please JJP sell us LE folks that awesome topper!

I really think that will not help their CE sales and "specialness" - I can't see them doing it, and I don't think they should (though I would like to have the topper, too).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

13,000 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-jjp-pricing-itself-out-of-business?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.